Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL #2 Car for Spoiled I mean Privileged Teens

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
I always wonder why these things get some people so worked up. The high school I went to had everything from Citations to ~$60k cars at it. Those with expensive cars had them bought for them, except for about two people...some people had their beaters bought for them...some people bought their own beaters...some people bought their own decent cars. Long before we turned 16, we knew who had money and who didn't, who would get a car handed to them and who wouldn't. Was anyone shocked or surprised when we turned 16? No. Was it a big deal? No. It's the way it was, always had been, and always will be.

Also, everything is proportional...rich people have the same things everyone else has...it's just the versions of what they have cost more...more expensive house, car, furniture, clothes...so, it makes sense their kid's cars are more expensive. I remember talking with my SVP about cars one day (he got a new 6-series around the time I got my TL). He asked me what I thought of the TL...after I told him, he said it was good to know as his son was turning 16 in a couple of years. Yeah, it burns a little, but his bonus is almost twice my salary...he's got it to buy his kid a TL, which I'm sure in his mind, is a cheap car and perfect for a 16 year old's first car.

Personally, I love my car and I don't care who else has one. Just like I don't care if little Johnny gets an M5 for turning 16. What anyone else drives doesn't affect me in any way, doesn't keep me from going to and from work, doesn't keep me from doing whatever, and it definitely doesn't keep me from enjoying my car. People need to quit worrying about what others have/do and worry about themselves and what they're doing. And little Johnny? He'll never learn the value of anything, but that will suit him well in his job as senator.
I agree with you it's just one of those things I guess, believe it or not it wasn't my intention to start a social commentary thread, my main reason for posting the list is that I was happy to see the TL ranked high on it against more expensive cars
Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am 19 years old and just recently purchased my '05 TL with my own money. Insurance is costing me ~$1600 a year. I would consider myself growing up very privleged, but thankfully looking back my father did not spoil me. I was given a used Sienna Van when I turned 16. Driving that to school where kids regular drive $30,000+ regullary was extremely embarassing at first but I soon stopped caring. I then started up my own eBay company, and within 2 years I was able to purchase this car in cash. Most people just think I was given this car, and I don't ever correct them. I don't really care. I have the personal satisfaction of owning it myself, and I am glad my father gave me the oppurtunity to me self dependent and reliant.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:53 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by bx-tls
I know a girl that has a IS 300 and an M3 and she don't pay for anything and even told me she won't try to find work since mommy and daddy pay her way
Is she single? That sounds like my future wife!

For me, reading threads like this gets me fired up because the parents are not teaching their children anything if they keep buying nice cars for their kids after the first 3 cars have been wrecked. With the statistics on teen deaths due to inexperience behind the wheel, I don't see why parents can't get a slightly used car that's also very safe. However, it all boils down to status.

MTV
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ashaman
I am 19 years old and just recently purchased my '05 TL with my own money. Insurance is costing me ~$1600 a year. I would consider myself growing up very privleged, but thankfully looking back my father did not spoil me. I was given a used Sienna Van when I turned 16. Driving that to school where kids regular drive $30,000+ regullary was extremely embarassing at first but I soon stopped caring. I then started up my own eBay company, and within 2 years I was able to purchase this car in cash. Most people just think I was given this car, and I don't ever correct them. I don't really care. I have the personal satisfaction of owning it myself, and I am glad my father gave me the oppurtunity to me self dependent and reliant.

Good job man, that's pretty cool to be able to afford this at your age, I was proud of myself for doing it at 25...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

Originally Posted by ashaman
im in teh same situation except my first car was an MDX whihc was totald not my fault some drunk driver ran a red light. and im not paying for an 05' TL i car in whihc i wante badly. instead i have a 300c and insuracne is almost 4500 a yr. but props cuz its hard to do right out of highschool.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Riu
2004 TL

I guess I am one of these kids. I am 18 and have a 04 TL. Parents bought it an gave it to me. I pay all the insurance though and thats a lot.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Is she single? That sounds like my future wife!
I actually ask her out once,broke me for a week haha. But hella kool girl though. Just need some real world experience. The whole family are superb people, father is a contractor and mother is a psychologist, she an only child so I can see why they spoil her.

If your parent buy you something for achieving something or reaching a goal, that is not spoiling, that a reward and the child deserve it. To those teens, I respect. Like this thread pointed out, we do have alot of responsible young people.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

About teenagers

I'm a teenage and I work my ass off in order to make payments on my car. Not all teens that have the TL are as spoiled as you think....=)
Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, i guess i should feel bad, especially since in put in a $2,000 sound system. next up is tein ss and supercharger soon
Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Murdock
lol, i guess i should feel bad, especially since in put in a $2,000 sound system. next up is tein ss and supercharger soon
WOW! and a Doctor too.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Instructor

I love my TL and am more than appreciative of this privilege. However, I also attend USC and there are plenty of students there who drive amazing cars. M3's are plentiful, but I have seen an undergraduate drive a black Lamborghini Gallardo...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Those cars are most wanted by anyone, any age.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

<---- guilty
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by invincible569
I used to frequent a Mercedes Forum (S Class) and some of the older guys who buy these cars for their kids had a great reason too.... SAFETY.

They said they would rather buy them an expensive car that would help them survive in a car accident. I also didnt feel it was right at first especially since someone young needs to understand how to appreciate the value of these vehicles.. but if you put yourself in the parents shoes, would you want your kid to be ok and less prone to a fatal crash?
I've heard this before from people and my response is that there are plenty of cars that are rated very high in safety and reliability that do not have luxury or high performance status. I don't have so much of a problem with luxury, but these stupid kids have no idea about anything (even though they think they know everything) and they think that it's ok to drive 100MPH on semi-main drags because they are paying attention, and they have a safe car that performs well. I actually had two yound kids in a MB fly down my side street over 100MPH at least, no exaggeration while I was standing in the edge of the street in front of my car.

In my mind, it comes down to one of three things:

1. Parents feel they should teach their children some values by having them earn what they get but mommy and daddy have no backbone so they give it to whatever little Johnny wants because they don't want to be hated. They are not being parents, they are trying to be friends with their children instead.

2. Parents do not think that they need to teach children value for whatever reason, and give them whatever they want.

3. Young kid works hard, or works easy depending upon what they do and buys it for themselves. Good work there Johnny.

Now I'm all for nice cars, I really am, but nice is one thing, fast is another. Any car these days is pretty fast and the kids are going to speed. But why allow them to have a high performace luxury vehicle that they just cannot control yet? 99% of 16 year olds do not have enough experience to be driving the way most of them do. Parents need to get involved and control this problem.

Of course, there are always exceptions to everything so please do not jump all over me saying that you do not fall under anything I just said because this, or because that. That will just mark you as one of the idiots that do fall under this post.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by vp911
At my h.s. (generally a upper-middle class area) most kids drove cars like civics - cheap cars) There was one kid who had a new H2 and one kid who had a newer c-class at the time. That was really about it for more expensive cars. No other cars like the TL in the over 30k price crowed. Most were actually under 20k.

Why would sane parents buy their kids trucks, suvs that are prone to tip over?

The most logical choices for would be something that is low and under power, heavy, and big, built like a tank, so no racing and stay on the ground the right side up. So the driver will walk away in case of accidents.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Instructor

i just find that it's funny how everyone thinks that buying a nice car is a way of spoiling kids.....they buy their kids nice expensive cars because they could afford it and their lifestyle fits them......parents who buy their kids civics usually drive a $30000 car......parents who buy their kids like $30000 cars drive $60000 cars....simple logic people.....and just because you buy them nice cars doesnt mean you are spoiling them....$10000 is not same money to everyone......i think people are just jealous cause they didnt have parents who bought them $30000 cars....lol
Old 12-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sjkforever
i just find that it's funny how everyone thinks that buying a nice car is a way of spoiling kids.....they buy their kids nice expensive cars because they could afford it and their lifestyle fits them......parents who buy their kids civics usually drive a $30000 car......parents who buy their kids like $30000 cars drive $60000 cars....simple logic people.....and just because you buy them nice cars doesnt mean you are spoiling them....$10000 is not same money to everyone......i think people are just jealous cause they didnt have parents who bought them $30000 cars....lol
Every time I see one of these threads, I chuckle. We live in a capitalistic society. People with the means will buy what they want. If mommy and daddy can afford to buy their young kids nice cars, then so be it. They have the means to do it, and who are we to judge?

It doesn't really matter if the kids are responsible or not, take it for granted or not, etc. The fact is that they can afford to make the decision to buy them nice cars.

I have friends who drive much more expensive cars than mine and they are not spoiled. A bit higher up the ladder of the society, sure, so they lead luxurious lifestyles. So what? That's just how they live. I don't look up to them for being wealthy and having nice cars, just like I don't look down on people because they can't afford to do the same.

This is why I chuckle at people for being worked up about other parents buying nice expensive cars for their kids. Reverse that, and I would love to see what is going through your mind when you see others who can not afford to buy as nice things as you do for your kids. Do you... get some sort of a satisfaction thinking that you're better than them? I mean, if you are getting worked up about people having nicer things than you, then surely something must be going through your mind when you see people with lesser means than you.