Sponsored by:

tire update call from Acura

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
s54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire update call from Acura

FWIW, I received a call from Acura saying they will replace my EL-42s with new-production EL-42s, and it's just a "supply issue" now.

The Acura rep said that had been approved by the regional service rep and that I could get this arranged at any Acura dealership. Not sure if this is a blanket recall.

One further note - I initially had no positive response from Acura corporate until I sent a letter to their CEO via www.planetfeedback.com expressing my displeasure. Seems to have worked.

J
Old 03-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Racer

Your link is broken, there's a comma at the end of it. It works if I delete the comma from Explorer. You may want to edit the comma out of the link in your post.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah I got the same bullsh!t call... about 5 weeks ago.

I'll be on my next car before I see these tires.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Anybody know if there's a way to tell the "new & improved" EL42s from the old, potentially-flatspotting ones? Got my TL a few weeks back, and it's got EL42s on it. I haven't had any problems with them, but then again, it hasn't been all that cold around here since then.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealer said that there is a way to tell and would let me know when he knew for sure...bs maybe
Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
dealer said that there is a way to tell and would let me know when he knew for sure...bs maybe
All tires have a manufacturing date code along with a serial number stamped into the sidewall. For example, "4203" indicates the 42nd week of 2003. Once we know when Bridgestone started the new design (week and year), it will be easy to tell which tires are new.

It would be hard to imagine that any tire after about 1004 (tenth week of 2004, basically right now) would still be the old model, as the new tires are supposed to be in the supply chain now. I'm sure it's an earlier date than now, of course.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
acura has identified the problem, and said things are on their way. They're following up with the regional rep and the dealer. I've heard the same thing over and over. Problem NOT solved.

BUT This just doesn't take 4 months to solve, though. What can I say in Japanese to their people to get it through their heads.

This is a customer sat issue.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Any idea on the VIN range that this impacts?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

I came back from my dealership today after dealing with the vibration issue. I mentioned the vibration to my dealer when I picked up my car after test-driving it. He said flat-spotting. The vibration continued. I called them. They said "Wait until after 500 miles." I waited and then called again. They set up appt to evaluate the problem. Ten more days of vibration. Today they checked it out and said the wheels were out of balance...problem solved. I left, drove onto the expressway. No change. If anything the vibration was worse. I returned and drove with a mechanic. He immediately said he would recommend the tires be replaced. Meanwhile I spent my whole afternoon there. Now they tell me I shouldn't expect replacement tires for at least a month. I asked about replacement with comparable tires that I can get now and they said that was not possible. I WANT to love this car. I do love the car, but this customer service is just not what I expected. My first two months with Acura haven't been impressive. Sorry if this is negative, but I'm just bummed out about this. Disappointed, but still hopeful I guess.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear that, finishline.

Do you mind letting us know of your VIN and tire serial #?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by finishline
I came back from my dealership today after dealing with the vibration issue. I mentioned the vibration to my dealer when I picked up my car after test-driving it. He said flat-spotting. The vibration continued. I called them. They said "Wait until after 500 miles." I waited and then called again. They set up appt to evaluate the problem. Ten more days of vibration. Today they checked it out and said the wheels were out of balance...problem solved. I left, drove onto the expressway. No change. If anything the vibration was worse. I returned and drove with a mechanic. He immediately said he would recommend the tires be replaced. Meanwhile I spent my whole afternoon there. Now they tell me I shouldn't expect replacement tires for at least a month. I asked about replacement with comparable tires that I can get now and they said that was not possible. I WANT to love this car. I do love the car, but this customer service is just not what I expected. My first two months with Acura haven't been impressive. Sorry if this is negative, but I'm just bummed out about this. Disappointed, but still hopeful I guess.
Finishline, welcome to my 5 months of vibration and disappointment with Acura, you have only suffered 2 months young grasshopper, only three to go

I agree, they are quite rediculous, why not replace now, with tires that do work??? They are pinching pennies (so that BS pays) and pissing off customers in the mean time
Old 03-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

I was notified last month I'd be receiving new tires "sometime in March." However, I haven't heard anything yet. I'm leaning toward asking them to swap the tires out when they come in for either Michie Pilot Sport A/S or the Yokohama or P Zeros. Anyone tried this? What can I expect on price differences? I'd think they'd let me do this since the tires will be brand new if I pay the upgrade to other tires. . . .
Old 03-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally posted by Wildcat Jon
I was notified last month I'd be receiving new tires "sometime in March." However, I haven't heard anything yet. I'm leaning toward asking them to swap the tires out when they come in for either Michie Pilot Sport A/S or the Yokohama or P Zeros. Anyone tried this? What can I expect on price differences? I'd think they'd let me do this since the tires will be brand new if I pay the upgrade to other tires. . . .
I am hoping for the same thing. My dealer made up the paperwork for my tires March 11th, said he would contact tech rep and they would be here in about a month, so I am planning to ask for the swap out. I am sure this is totally up to the dealer.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Instructor

I asked my dealer about the swap out as well, with me paying the price difference. I was told that was up to me to do on my own and they would not be involved.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Tread
Finishline, welcome to my 5 months of vibration and disappointment with Acura, you have only suffered 2 months young grasshopper, only three to go

I agree, they are quite rediculous, why not replace now, with tires that do work??? They are pinching pennies (so that BS pays) and pissing off customers in the mean time

I agree.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro

Well .. it's good to see that Acura hasn't improved their customer service any .. I'm going on year 3 with crappy customer service from them .. do NOT kid yourself by thinking it will improve any .. because apparently .. it won't.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

I just bought the TL and joint the family. The dealer would not really let me try the car on the test drive until the 2nd day of talk. I have not of any vibrations yet. The tire date is 0704. I hoping I may have the new replacement tires.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by Tread
I did this, and although I haven't received a penny of reimbursement from Acura it's made me much happier with my car. I went from being angered every time I drove my car because of the shaking steering wheel (and Acura's inability/unwillingness to do anything about it all the while hiding behind the "it's normal" excuse) to loving every time I drive my car because it's finally what it should be.

The stress relief was worth every penny.

If Acura ever gets me back as a customer again, well that depends on how many of those pennies I get back from them.

Mike
Old 03-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Yeah, Mike, the service manager gave me the "it's normal for performance tires" line, but that they would exchange my tires as a "customer preference issue". She then said I'd have to wait another month as the factory switched over to these new tires this month. So, if it is a "customer preference issue", why are they switching the entire production over to these new tires?

As "tread" mentioned, they are not fostering any return business with this level of service. If they would trade out my tires now, I would be happy and the cost to them would be minimally different than having me wait for the new ones. Win, win. Instead, I look for excuses NOT to drive this new car because the vibration is maddening, and that just isn't right.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone thought of banding together to get Acura's attention? Class Action Lawsuit? I know it is a long shot, but if Volvo would settle why wouldn't Acura?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Well, there's that, I guess. First, I'm gonna try to ask really nicely again.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Racer

It baffles me why Acura would essentially give up future business over a relatively small expense of reimbursing a customer for tires. Even reimbursing for PART of the cost (say, $500, because it's true that tires like the Michelins are better tires than stock) would make most of its customers happy.

So balance $500 agains the lost profit of future sales. Acura/Honda (not the dealer) makes thousands of dollars per vehicle they sell. (Only Acura knows how much for sure). And yet they'd give up a future customer over $500?

I wonder how many of us there are, across the U.S. (and Canada, I guess) that replaced tires at their own expense, due to flatspotting/vibrations, BEFORE the new plan to replace the EL42s came out. Acura owes those customers something, in my opinion. Acura did apparently reimburse some customers, and dealers also changed out some tires, out of their own profit. Now, Acura is saying "our defective tires are your problem, because you chose to fix the situation before we came up with a fix, rather than keep driving on them."
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Advanced

OK, I blew out one of the EL 42s on a pothole Thursday and I said no way to a$ $250 EL 42 to replace it. I ordered Faulkens after reading Cons reports from discounttires. They came to my house in 23 hours (Dallas to Tulsa) for $396 total. I put them on immediately, tech screwed up on alloy but I will tell you all the bs EL 42s are the problem. I am excited about an $89 tire! It is quiet and no harsh EL 42 stuff going on. Check out discounttiresdirect and quit worrrying about this. For $396 end you pain. It took a blow out to end mine. Thank goodness.
End of story.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Drifting

When I had issues with my interim service manager (my regular one was on vacation) @ the Honda dealer. I was very displeased that I had to leave my car there for 2 nights in a row cause I things to get done. In any case, when I picked up the car, I asked for Honda of America's phone number. The service receptionist's face turned white and she hesitantly gave it to me. When I walked out of the waiting area I was immediately met at the door by my regular service manager and he said whatever I did, not to call Honda of America and he'll do anything to take care of my situation. Everything was taken care of but eversince he left, its never been the same.

bottom line: I suggest you guys, each time when you talk with a service manager at the Acura dealer, get their name, when you called, the dealer name/location, etc and at the end of the conversation ask for Acura's human resources department or their legal department phone number. After that, start a new thread and piece together who has been through what. I can guarantee it will get national attention from Acura if not, like someone said before, a class action lawsuit is a big hit on any company's reputation. Best of luck and hopefully if I decide on the TL, this won't be a problem for me.