3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Protection/Warranty from the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Protection/Warranty from the dealer.

well i obviously got the GAP insurance but i also got a warranty on my rimms and tire. it was $400 and it covers nail holes/blow outs/rim bends. they will give you up to 400per rim and 300(??)per tire.

at first i said no i dint want it because im gonna put some ronjon's on and they said that this covers aftermarket rims and wheels to. whatever is on the car.

i said sign me up.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
it only covers after market if they are either normal sized or a-spec sized. The ronjons will have to be 18's then. Just don't get the enviormental treatment nor the paint portection crap called permaplate as it does really nothing.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
it only covers after market if they are either normal sized or a-spec sized. The ronjons will have to be 18's then. Just don't get the enviormental treatment nor the paint portection crap called permaplate as it does really nothing.
yeah i didnt want to jump up to 19, i want to only the 18s
Old 12-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by drdug27
well i obviously got the GAP insurance but i also got a warranty on my rimms and tire. it was $400 and it covers nail holes/blow outs/rim bends. they will give you up to 400per rim and 300(??)per tire.

at first i said no i dint want it because im gonna put some ronjon's on and they said that this covers aftermarket rims and wheels to. whatever is on the car.

i said sign me up.
It is definitely worth it! We just had to use this on our RL due to a nail hitting to close to the sidewall. They replaced the tire free of charge.

It covers the rim and tire for ANY damage that might occur. Even if its aftermarket wheels/tires it covers them. It does not matter what size rim/tire you have it will still cover it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
It is definitely worth it! We just had to use this on our RL due to a nail hitting to close to the sidewall. They replaced the tire free of charge.

It covers the rim and tire for ANY damage that might occur. Even if its aftermarket wheels/tires it covers them. It does not matter what size rim/tire you have it will still cover it.

yeah to me it was a no brainer... if you use it once it pays for itself
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Well I passed on it and never looked back. All the sales guy kept telling me was the wheels on the TL were over 400 a pieice, which they are definitely not. There is no way I see one incident costing what they wanted.

I just bank all the extended warranties and other policies premiums I pass on and consider it "self insurance". I seriously doubt they will cover your RJs. But then again, being a New England Yankee I am skeptical and cynical about everything. Salesman will say anything since they don't have to approve or deny your claims. See, there I go...

Enjoy the ride.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Actually the TL wheels are close to $400 a wheel.

If the RJ is under 400 a wheel, then it will cover it.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Actually the TL wheels are close to $400 a wheel. .
OK, What am I missing
http://www.acuraparts247.com/prddisp...All&vinsrch=no
Item 001, $259 to my door. My math puts that closer to $250. Ebay is even less if you are lucky to catch "singles"
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by Adobeman
OK, What am I missing
Item 001, $259 to my door. My math puts that closer to $250. Ebay is even less if you are lucky to catch "singles"
You're right in that sense: $250 +/- $30 might snag you the replacement - but don't forget to add on the PITA factor.

I myself signed up for this coverage and have used it (got a nasty triangle wedge of metal stuck in a tire three weeks after buying the car) and all I had to do was go to the dealer and within 40 minutes I had my new tire and was ready to roll. Granted I did not have to replace the rim but I sight this example for the "hassle factor".

Should I go the ebay/private market route I'd have to track down a seller, wait for the auction to end, wait for the shipment to come in and then either contract out the labor or do it myself. While doing all this may result in a 'cheaper' price out of pocket, the time spent factor is a determent which negates potential cash savings. Granted, my schedule sadly remains quite full ...even on holidays and should I have less demands on my free time my priorities would shift.

But nonetheless, the fact that all I had to do was drive to the dealership, explain what happened and wait 40 mins for the problem to be fixed is worth something to me -- especially when time constraints would dictate I take it to the dealer anyway with or without the warranty.

If you have the time to track down the parts and do the install yourself than more power to you: I'm guessing you'll save some $$$

But on the other hand, if time's a factor and you don't have time to screw around with details, the warranty is not that bad a deal (again from my experience... as always, your's may differ).
Old 12-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by J.Edward
You're right in that sense: $250 +/- $30 might snag you the replacement - but don't forget to add on the PITA factor.

I myself signed up for this coverage and have used it (got a nasty triangle wedge of metal stuck in a tire three weeks after buying the car) and all I had to do was go to the dealer and within 40 minutes I had my new tire and was ready to roll. Granted I did not have to replace the rim but I sight this example for the "hassle factor".

Should I go the ebay/private market route I'd have to track down a seller, wait for the auction to end, wait for the shipment to come in and then either contract out the labor or do it myself. While doing all this may result in a 'cheaper' price out of pocket, the time spent factor is a determent which negates potential cash savings. Granted, my schedule sadly remains quite full ...even on holidays and should I have less demands on my free time my priorities would shift.

But nonetheless, the fact that all I had to do was drive to the dealership, explain what happened and wait 40 mins for the problem to be fixed is worth something to me -- especially when time constraints would dictate I take it to the dealer anyway with or without the warranty.

If you have the time to track down the parts and do the install yourself than more power to you: I'm guessing you'll save some $$$

But on the other hand, if time's a factor and you don't have time to screw around with details, the warranty is not that bad a deal (again from my experience... as always, your's may differ).
agreed im old i need simplicity now
Old 12-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
also this covers all four tires, so 2 messed up tires will pay for more than itself.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
So would this eliminate the need for road hazard coverage on future tire purchases? and whats the length of the warranty? as long as you own the car?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

OK, What am I missing

The dealer charges more than $400 per wheel to replace them. At least my dealer does.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by drdug27
agreed im old i need simplicity now
Your profile says your 29, your just a puppy.

I agree with the PITA factor and that my time is worth money. What I was saying is the sale guy kept saying the rim alone was >$400. So I summed him up as a liar. After that I didn't trust his opinion on anything. I still think that all the money save by not buying all those various extended plans everyone is trying to sell me adds up to some pretty good savings for self insurance. I guess if I did a lot of city driving I might feel differently
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Holy cow, it seems to me that $400 for this insurance is like most insurance through a dealer: a rip off.

I have had two nails in my 06 TL since I picked it up about 8 months ago. Total cost to repair: $12 at my local mechanic ( he through in the second one for free). That's about 35 nails to break even. I haven't had a nail in 10 years but there you go. I doubt the tire repair insurance would ever pay for itself.

As for wheels, I don't run over curbs, I avoid pot holes and crap in the road, I have been driving for 25 years and have never had to replace or fix a wheel. In fact I don't think that I have ever known that has had to replace a wheel. Again, I don't think it would ever pay for itself.

Maybe it's my driving style but I would have used the $400 for something useful, like the illuminated door sills and real wood trim interior!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

On one tire of our RL it basically did pay for itself. It had to be replaced due to damage on the sidewall from the nail. Potholes are not the only thing that can cause damage to a rim, a blow out, something laying in the road, etc.

The tire and labor cost over $300 to replace on our RL.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Racer

Your profile says your 29, your just a puppy.

I agree with the PITA factor and that my time is worth money. What I was saying is the sale guy kept saying the rim alone was >$400. So I summed him up as a liar. After that I didn't trust his opinion on anything. I still think that all the money save by not buying all those various extended plans everyone is trying to sell me adds up to some pretty good savings for self insurance. I guess if I did a lot of city driving I might feel differently

I am an old 29 plus i live in Pennsylvania where there are more pot holes than full sets of teeth.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
come on...those of you with this insurance, does it enable you to eliminate the need for road hazard coverage on your new tire purchases? and if so for how long? I am just trying to see if there is some outside chance that the overall cost of this insurance could be reduced, because i am with slapmesilly and adobeman and would rather save the money and self insure.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pohljm
come on...those of you with this insurance, does it enable you to eliminate the need for road hazard coverage on your new tire purchases? and if so for how long? I am just trying to see if there is some outside chance that the overall cost of this insurance could be reduced, because i am with slapmesilly and adobeman and would rather save the money and self insure.
with this protection i did not have to get road hazzard on the tires i bought from tire rack. so i saved 100 bucks. now my package technicaly is 300 bucks