Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips getting TL out of snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tips getting TL out of snow

Well i have stock Mxm4 and i get stuck in the snow alot, and it takes more then half hour to get it out with the help on of someone. I try rocking it, i put it in 2 still nothing, i even turn vcs off, i don't ever floor it, but i accidently floored it, and banged off the rev limited for 4sec. So you guys got any tips. And this snow is 5-6in and it's packed under the whole car, and even some above the lower part of front bumper.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
i thought u KNEW IT ALL! wat happened??
Old 12-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow foolin...

Need more info to give advice. Unless you get stuck in the same place each time no two stuck-in-the-snows are alike. There's no single best way. It may be that

Old 12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my experience today was fine with the TL the only problem iss if there is alot of snow on the ground the car is pretty low. Your best bet is to take of vsa and accelerate yourself just don't accelerate to hard. I think vsa works best when the car is driving. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Tips getting TL out of snow ....
.... Don't get in the snow in the first place.

Maybe you should shovel your driveway before trying to plow it with a 4-door sedan. Either that, or learn how to drive in snow.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 PM
AZ Community Team

And why do you need 2 posts?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...3#post10303953

Old 12-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Drifting

how can you accidently floor it for 4 seconds.......u have to be mentally ill...

but i understand yeah foot slips or whatever, but normal people would take their foot off of the gas...but i guess some people have bad reaction times...

edit: the tl is only ~6" off the ground... if it snows that much(or more) and roads arent plowed, you really shouldnt be driving

my guess of what happen: you were driving and saw unplowed road and decided to drive through it and u bottomed out and spun ur tires trying to get out.

Last edited by greco9885; 12-19-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Well i have stock Mxm4 and i get stuck in the snow alot, and it takes more then half hour to get it out with the help on of someone. I try rocking it, i put it in 2 still nothing, i even turn vcs off, i don't ever floor it, but i accidently floored it, and banged off the rev limited for 4sec. So you guys got any tips. And this snow is 5-6in and it's packed under the whole car, and even some above the lower part of front bumper.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Just floor it like you do everyday. That poor TL you are leasing. Can you post the vin number so no one ends up with your car in the near future?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
Sounds like you are on the right track. Just floor it like you do everyday. That poor TL you are leasing. Can you post the vin number so no one ends up with your car in the near future?
I was thinking the same thing as you and greco.

The TL would be lucky to have 6" of clearance. At it's lowest point it's more like 4". It seems like it would be pretty easy to accidentally turn it into a sled. Instead of worrying about how to get it unstuck, work on choosing where not to drive it more carefully.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Drifting

i will be nice and help you out...
1-on the front passenger side of the car there is a big plug, take that out,
2-walk around to the trunk, get the tow hook thing,
3-walk back to the front of the car, screw it into where you took the plug out
4-get a suv, have him pull you out and you floor it accidently and crash into him and get stuck again.
5-repeat step 4
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
rocking always works, but only if you do it right. Make sure you never spin the wheels, and just keep doing it, and eventually you'll be able to just stay on the gas and get out. it's just patience. winter tires really help, and if you're hopelessley stuck, just dig out the snow with your hands. works for me.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^agreed.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are getting stuck in the snow a lot, maybe you should go to plan B since plan A doesn't appear to be working. You live in MI so you have pretty severe winters, and I take it this is your only vehicle. I would suggest getting a second set of wheels and putting studded tires on them. Or buy a set of chains (cables) and put them on as necessary.

I found myself at a mountain pass in southern OR/northern CA last weekend, 4" of snow on the road, and ODOT would not let anyone thru without chains and the oem MXM4 wouldn't cut it. So I went and bought some (the cable kind, not the chain link kind) and very carefully put them around my front tires. Kept the speed under 30 MPH as suggested and it worked fine and no scratches to the (stock) wheels or fenders. Took them off as soon as we were over the summit.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Fyre Man
rocking always works, but only if you do it right. Make sure you never spin the wheels, and just keep doing it, and eventually you'll be able to just stay on the gas and get out. it's just patience. winter tires really help, and if you're hopelessley stuck, just dig out the snow with your hands. works for me.
Good advice but I would hate to even attempt to rock a TL out with our rediculously slow gear engagements on the AT.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Now this work's!!

I have put some roofing shingles in the trunk. Then when you get stuck. Shovel out as much as you can. Then put a shingle (1ea) just under the two front tires. You can put them in front of the tires and behind them so if you still need to rock the car you can. If its really bad you can use this method on all 4 tires. If you have a 6mt gently use 2nd gear.

And remember with fwd cars you ALWAYS have more traction reverse!! ALWAYS!

Buy some of the best snow tires you can afford!!

Be gentle, feel you car. It will get you home....
Old 12-19-2008, 10:14 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
see if you can find some gravel or something and throw it under the front wheels.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
+2 on all the advice given here.

Driving in the snow is ALL about driving skills. You can't just rely on snow tires and AWD. Those things just help you. They make a good driver better. But if you can't drive in the first place, nothing can help you!

Good sense is knowing when and whether to drive. You can time when you need to get somewhere once the road is cleared. Don't go when you don't need to. But if you MUST be out there reroute to the roads that are traveled most often, especially state owned roads or those roads with heavier traffic which will be cleared more often and cleaner. Take the longer way around, it's worth it, to the highways as much as possible. Use the backroad, twisty shortcuts and you are asking for it. Also when parking stay away from places with deep snow, mud or grass or a place where a snow plow will come by and cement you in. If you get stuck you will spin and dig yourself in.

Remember, if you are spinning out, STOP. You are not getting anywhere. All you are doing is digging yourself in worse. I have even seen geniuses spinning out so bad and blowing out a tire. And then they so "Oh, I didn't know that could happen...." Duh?

BTW when you drive, use momentum to get up hills. Morons in AWD cars piss me off when they go 8mph up a steep grade and I am behind them, they slow me down and make it harder for me. I usually slow almost to a standstill, make sure the road is clear like a runway and take off like a jet. LOL. It always gets me up!

No snow tires here and I drove through that blizzard today with NO problems whatsoever. I rolled past plenty of dimwits stuck in the snow! The perfect match of a great machine and great driving skills!!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced

It sounds like you really ought to get some snow tires. Go to tire rack and look for some. In the mean time you can actually buy these flat treaded rubber strips that you can put behind the tires so that when you push on the gas the car runs over those instead and you can get some traction. Or maybe carry a bag of rock salt with you. However if it's so high that it's holding the car up then you have a different problem and you probably need a broom or shovel or something to pull it out so that the car isn't floating on snow.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Car-out-of-the-Snow

if all else fails you can always mount a winch on the front of the tl ......... jk, that would be a great picture though
Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

..use SS/1st + 2nd gears to get out. Don't try getting out in "D5" ..you'll just sit there spinning your tires all day.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Get a-spec front kit and Tein coilovers ...then drop it to the ground. Now you have yourself a luxury snow plow (= jp
Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Be nice guys

"Treat others as you would want to be treated"

GTX, from my days in living in NYC, I found this to work:

Carry a window scraper with you
Carry a bag of cat litter (dump by tires to help with traction when stuck)
Carry a shovel
Carry TONS of paper towels
Carry some towing chains
If you can, roofing shingles are good
Carry a tire and wheel brush to clear snow from brakes and tires for better traction

As said before NEVER keep on spinning, the tire can overheat and cause deterioration causing it to pop. In the event you get stuck, and I mean stuck use the tow hook and get some help, don't ever be ashamed to ask for help.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 AM
A Black TL

Thx for the help guys. I was driving slow 10mph and i know how to drive in snow, but right when i hit the part of the street the car was almost of the car. So it took a while get under the car, and take out the snow under the car with my arm. And the help of a couple guys to push. And then to be nice, the guy wife got stuck, so i helped push, and it all worked out fine
Old 12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i would juss put a small shovel in my trunk and if ur car gets stuck juss shovel ur way out :-) so basically ur working and not the car to get out of the snow. cuz ur the car's slave :-)
Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am rocking the stock wheels, i just tap the gas and out.... pffff to the op
Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
I am rocking the stock wheels, i just tap the gas and out.... pffff to the op
Thanks for the snow plow Al! :-P .. Roofing shingles is a nice idea, but hopefully my blizzaks will do me good... good thing im down in south carolina for this storm :->
Old 12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

be extra careful smashin ur gas with the traction off..... i blew both axles doing that to get out of the spot....tires spinning and the wheel turned all I heard was crack....and nice loud FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK WHAT DID I DOOOO!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced

csmeance is definitely right. You definitely need a snow shovel and the other stuff wouldn't hurt either. Considering how much snow you get in michigan.

good luck
Old 12-20-2008, 06:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Thx for the help guys. I was driving slow 10mph and i know how to drive in snow, but right when i hit the part of the street the car was almost of the car. So it took a while get under the car, and take out the snow under the car with my arm. And the help of a couple guys to push. And then to be nice, the guy wife got stuck, so i helped push, and it all worked out fine

And you do this everytime you go to work?

Acura got stuck in 5-6in of snow, took 1hr to take it out with the help of another guy, and this happend almost everday i go to work ....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 PM
05' AT SSM

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
+2 on all the advice given here.

BTW when you drive, use momentum to get up hills. Morons in AWD cars piss me off when they go 8mph up a steep grade and I am behind them, they slow me down and make it harder for me. I usually slow almost to a standstill, make sure the road is clear like a runway and take off like a jet. LOL. It always gets me up!
Omg yes this happened to me acouple weeks back, momentum is the key! Just like getting in and out of plowed in parking lot entrances.

I think your best bet is to get some 16 inch steel wheels with good set of winter tires.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
As many have said...get snow tires. The MXM4 is a pretty weak compromise even in good weather. I had P Zero Nero M+S tires on my TL and it was useless in the snow as well.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
oh yea most people dont realize this but spinning your wheels even on snow... wastes your tires also
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Good advice but I would hate to even attempt to rock a TL out with our rediculously slow gear engagements on the AT.
Don't even bother getting out of gear. My old Cavalier rolled back easily while in gear, I used to just tap the gas a bit while going forward. I haven't rocked the Accord yet, but it doesn't roll back on slight inclines even when you're off the brake. Solution: pop it into neutral on the roll back, then into D and give it a bit of gas.

@ stillhere153: From what I've seen, people who just gas it get a layer of the white stuff all over their tire, giving them horrible traction but not really damaging their tires. Unless you mean people who spin their tires get themselves stuck even deeper until they reach the bare asphalt...then you're screwed.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude...you live in Michigan. Get some snow tires. Shit...I just live down in Indy and have to use em. Michelin Pilot Alpin Sports....you will never have a problem again. But it does require either switching out the tires every winter or having a second set of rims. I chose the latter. Highly recommend the tires though...they work wonders on ice and snow.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm running summer tires right now, lowered and RJ kit and still didn't get stuck in todays storm. So I agree its all driver skill. Use momentum to your advantage, and I feel sometimes using SS mode helps more than driving in automatic and I ride it in 2nd or 3rd gears most of the time. Traveling on heavier traffic roads is a must!

Before I get my ass handed to me that I'm riding summer tires, the only reason I didn't swap is because I'm going to be driving to MIAMI in 2 weeks. I thought we usually dont see snow till about Mid January, but my luck this season.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I'm running summer tires right now, lowered and RJ kit and still didn't get stuck in todays storm. So I agree its all driver skill. Use momentum to your advantage, and I feel sometimes using SS mode helps more than driving in automatic and I ride it in 2nd or 3rd gears most of the time. Traveling on heavier traffic roads is a must!

Before I get my ass handed to me that I'm riding summer tires, the only reason I didn't swap is because I'm going to be driving to MIAMI in 2 weeks. I thought we usually dont see snow till about Mid January, but my luck this season.
have fun in miami the weather is great ova there
Old 12-21-2008, 12:59 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yo Elegant, I'm gonna be in Miami for New Years. You're driving down? Man you have some guts putting the beauty through all those miles! That's miles on that soft rubber. I drove to ATL in Feb. and promised I wouldn't drive that far in my TL again. At least I was on my stockies. We are gonna be rockin in South Beach in an 08 Escalade EXT, that's how we do!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

driving down is great ill prob see u there raj.....hit me up im leaving jan 10
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

not getting stuck once after 150kms of driving today on summers while watching fools dig themselves deeper in the white stuff is the biggest confidence booster in the world.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
<-------------Time for an upgrade AWD

OP: how could you bang of the rev limiter for 4 entire seconds? That is what I do not understand.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
greco pm about your JL

Originally Posted by greco9885
i will be nice and help you out...
1-on the front passenger side of the car there is a big plug, take that out,
2-walk around to the trunk, get the tow hook thing,
3-walk back to the front of the car, screw it into where you took the plug out
4-get a suv, have him pull you out and you floor it accidently and crash into him and get stuck again.
5-repeat step 4
;;;

Quick Reply: Tips getting TL out of snow