Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIPS? Attempting to Storm Canadian Acura Dealership to Replace Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 PM
sjo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TIPS? Attempting to Storm Canadian Acura Dealership to Replace Leather Seats

I'm officially going in to Acura of Markham on Friday to "complain" and take action on getting my TL repaired. I am going in to complain about my "punctured" weather strippings (with my dad, since I'm just 17 and although I look old for my age, they'll play games with me ). I first complained to them when I saw a puncture on the lower driver's side door and they claimed that it was probably from my shoes "wearing the tearing". However, lately I have found "punctures" (holes) around the weather stripped on the sunroof glass too. So whats their excuse for that?! That I stuck my foot up to "wear and tear" it?

While I am there to complain about that, I am going to try to get my leather replaced (fingers crossed). If they reject me, I am going to go firm on them and directly call up Honda Canada myself in their office or what not. I am going to play hardball this time.

I am also officially sick of the service manager in Acura of Markham (the bald asian dude). I am going to give him one last chance for him to redeem himself on my trip to him this Friday. If not, I'll just claim a report on him also while I am on the phone with Honda Canada.

I am currently researching on finding some "forms" or "evidence" that other forum members has posted after they have gotten their leather replaced in the States. I will then print them out and show Honda Canada or whoever that if it not JUST my "wear and tear" of the leather, but that it is a common issue for a large number of TL owners both in the States and in Canada. This will hopefully act as a threat to them, since I will state that I'll get the media involved? So please, if you find a posting or a .jpg that other forum members has scanned after getting that leather replaced, please PM me.

Your suggestions/tips on this case would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Do an advanced search for "leather". Highlight the Third Generation TL line so you don't get all the other forums. Here's one to get you started.

It's pretty much up to the individual dealer, so talk nice to them and don't get excited and maybe they will help you out.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137704
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 AM
sjo
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
Do an advanced search for "leather". Highlight the Third Generation TL line so you don't get all the other forums. Here's one to get you started.

It's pretty much up to the individual dealer, so talk nice to them and don't get excited and maybe they will help you out.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137704
Oooo, so you think the "nice" way of approaching them is best? I personally thought that if I go in acting all "Mr. Nice Guy", they'll step all over me, as they did the other times I was being "nice". I was planning on going hardball on Friday?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:55 AM
9th Gear

weatherstripping

Can't help you on the leather, but check the weather stripping. Do the holes look like they were punched (same size, about .125" diameter, but equally spaced along the gasket)?

Most door gaskets have holes punched in them. It is part of the manufactutrring process. Probably to let the gaskets vent, since they are of a closed cross-section. I've seen this on many cars.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:12 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bejay
Can't help you on the leather, but check the weather stripping. Do the holes look like they were punched (same size, about .125" diameter, but equally spaced along the gasket)?

Most door gaskets have holes punched in them. It is part of the manufactutrring process. Probably to let the gaskets vent, since they are of a closed cross-section. I've seen this on many cars.

True,
Most door jam weatherstrips are just "tubes" thus have holes in them to release the air inside of them when you close the door.. Could be that simple.

Now for the leather..... In the last month, my 2004 TL which just turned 20K miles has a large spot on the drivers seat back that literally looks melted! Basically right in the small / lower back area.. All of the little holes within the "melt" are filled in.... They literally looked like they have been smeared shut etc..?? Looks like vinyl not leather.

I truly believe it has melted given the hot weather here in TX... Off to the dealer..
Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 AM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Hey man, let me know if you have any success. I don't really like the service manager there either so I try to avoid the dealer. I want to get my leather replaced too so let me know if you get through with anybody. I know he gave me a hard time when I tried to get the 1500rpm TSB applied to my car, so good luck!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I got my leather dr side seat bottom replace without a problem .. didn't even go in for an inspection first.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 PM
sjo
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I got my leather dr side seat bottom replace without a problem .. didn't even go in for an inspection first.
Where did you go?! You in Canada by any chance? Please PM me or msn:adrianxtsang@gmail.com
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
sjo
Racer

No, these are not the "holed" tubes that you guys have talked about, I know which ones you guys are referring to. The holes I have on mine look "rotted out" or simply punctured unnaturally. They are really odd shaped and is scatted randomly along the tubing.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my leather (bottom&back) replaced last year on my '04TL. I wanted the new style so the buttprints would not return. The dealer agreed, but I had to pay for new cushions and seat heater element since they are different on the new style leather. If the leather is defective, they should replace it without any hassles. It's been almost 1 year, and the new leather is still looking great. It was a few hundred bucks for the cushions and heaters, but money well spent.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 210 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by satisfcuktion
Oooo, so you think the "nice" way of approaching them is best? I personally thought that if I go in acting all "Mr. Nice Guy", they'll step all over me, as they did the other times I was being "nice". I was planning on going hardball on Friday?

I would think being nice would carry alot more weight then walking in there and being an ass (or playing hardball as you put it) If you have your Dad with you like you said then I dont see them trying to walk all over you..
Old 07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

speaking of seats, any of you guys have the drivers side seat tilt foward when you get on the brakes? Try sitting in it and side your ass foward and back. I am serious, my seat seems like a bolt is out, the whole seat rocks 1/4 inch
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Instructor

satisfcuktion: Any success with the Acura in Markham dealership?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
hey guys, just to let you know, acura markham has had difficulties in the last year or so with their management departments. I bought my car their in june and they had just replaced a few people. I have heard through friends at honda canada that they've been having problems in that dealership and have been going through staff frequently. My recommendation is to try another dealer in your area, or try to contact honda canda, but i think another dealer will be much easier.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced

i hate that asian service manager at acura markham...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by qqyy
i hate that asian service manager at acura markham...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely try another dealer.