Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Getting Done Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Tinting Getting Done Today

Dropped off my SSM '04 this morning for Llumar AT tint (50% sides, 35% rear).

Disappointed that the installer was not going to be able to fully cover the small rear windows where the black trim covers the window. The installer said he just could not get the tool back there and if he did, it would look like shit.

The only way the installer could full cover the 2 small rear windows was to actually take the glass out (which he would not do).

So, I agreed to have it done the 'ugly' way and If I am not happy with it, I will just take out the windows myself and have them redone.

Did anyone get these small windows done without taking out the windows? If so, does it look right (no scratches, lack of adhesion)?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression that the interior panel could be removed to tint the "area in question..."

I can't wait to hear answers, as my tint is only a couple months away...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM
i am trying to believe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had mine done last week, 50% all around ... no problems with the shop about that area. Try getting a quote from another shop.

Post some pics when it gets done.

good luck,

~ B.Good
Old 02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Need More HP!!!

iambgood, did they take off any trim?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gman44116

Disappointed that the installer was not going to be able to fully cover the small rear windows where the black trim covers the window. The installer said he just could not get the tool back there and if he did, it would look like shit.

The only way the installer could full cover the 2 small rear windows was to actually take the glass out (which he would not do).

So, I agreed to have it done the 'ugly' way and If I am not happy with it, I will just take out the windows myself and have them redone.

Did anyone get these small windows done without taking out the windows? If so, does it look right (no scratches, lack of adhesion)?
How long have these guys been doing tint and how many TLs have they done. A reputable tinter/installer should be able to go edge to edge on those quarter windows. I had mine done with F1 Pinnacle and the tint is under the seal. Here's a couple of excerpts from Tintdude.com and what the tinters had to say about the 3G TL. Click here to see these remarks.

I've tinted 3 of these to date, the quarter windows are a little tricky but the film slides right in if you use your thumb to lift the rubber towards you & lots of soap.
Its not to hard to take out the windows on the new TL, only 4 screws holding door panel on and then a little screw at top of door and 2 bolts that hold the track. I will take them out first, tint them, let them dry while i do the back window, then install them and finish the doors. Works well and dont take very long at all.
Did one today and it was a piece of cake. The side windows have lots of room around the seals. The quarters at first looked like the accord but the film slid in very easily. I wish most cars were like this one.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Need More HP!!!

Hawhen51, Just called the installer and he said he is going to give it a try (without removing the panels). I will keep my fingers crossed. I am driving this installer crazy!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

gman, you should, after all you're paying for services and it should be done to the best of his ability. And if you're not happy with the final product, you should complain. I guess you couldn't find an authorized installer for Pinnacle (from your previous post). Just thought to let you know you're getting a dyed film. Dyed film has a tendency to fade and turn color over time. Are you getting the LlumaStar film or the AT film? The AT film according to their website is warranted for 3 years and the AT LlumaStar has a lifetime warranty. FYI, Pinnacle is made by the same company.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
can you guys post pics of 50% all around....I have rrp/ebony, I want to see how the 50% looks like before I make any decisions....thanks...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by badboy
can you guys post pics of 50% all around....I have rrp/ebony, I want to see how the 50% looks like before I make any decisions....thanks...
Here's a link with 50% tint https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/mr-fed-raricrasher-rov-signs-108846/ and there's another link in that post that shows 20% and one with 35.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

I have llumar tint on my car as well..shop didn't have any problem with the windows and I got life-time warranty . I had them tinted 50% n 35% too, but decided to retint them at 35% and 20%. Try to see if you can find another shop, rear panels shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Need More HP!!!

Okay, Got my car back and they did a very good job. I had 50% on the sides and 35% in the rear. Dark enough for now. The rear quarter windows did get fully covered with the exception of the passenger side (1/16" gap). Overall for $225 it was good. It was the Llumar AT Llumastar that was installed. I know, it's dye but this is Ohio. Finding Ceramic is like finding sunshine in February! The nearest F1 installer is in Toledo and I was not up for a 100 mile drive each way. I can't wait for the tint to cure and get rid of the small bubbles and so on... thanks all for your help.. When I get a chance to clean 'er up, I will post more pics in the Pic Gallery..
Old 02-10-2005, 08:32 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
225???? holy crap! and he didnt even do the small window properly????

im sorry to say but you got jipped buddy....

i got mine 35% all around... small windows completely covered.. everything has been fine...

150 installed....

guys and gals... listen up... if you are going to a tint shop that does not have the know how to tint that small windows properly... your car should not be there at all....
Old 02-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Need More HP!!!

Dude, you are in Cali. Geographics have alot to do with it.. Cannot compete with you west siders for tints etc.. paying $75 more may seem like a lot to you. Let me tell you, there are not any 'excellent' installers. Most of the installers in Cleveland are lucky to get 1 maybe 2 jobs a week unless you go to ziebart which I was not going to do. I could have gotten it done for $175 but after doing my homework, I went with a installer who has been doing this for over 20 years... But, you are entitled to your own opinion...just my 2 cents..Tinting new TL's is not common around these parts yet.... I agree with you and wish I had the luxury to even find Ceramic tint..!!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Need More HP!!!

P.S. I dont feel that unfortunate. You should see some of the tint jobs in these parts...
Jipped is overkill, bud..
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I just got 35% all around. It came out really good. Yes they did tint the rear quater windows and they came out great. You should find a more experienced shop. The place I went tinted my last few Acura's and know what they are doing. They even knew that they had to use a non metalic tint in the rear window to prevent Navigation interfierence. It was $235 + an extra $15 for the non metalic rear tint.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, you are in Cali. Geographics have alot to do with it.. Cannot compete with you west siders for tints etc.. paying $75 more may seem like a lot to you. Let me tell you, there are not any 'excellent' installers. Most of the installers in Cleveland are lucky to get 1 maybe 2 jobs a week unless you go to ziebart which I was not going to do. I could have gotten it done for $175 but after doing my homework, I went with a installer who has been doing this for over 20 years... But, you are entitled to your own opinion...just my 2 cents..Tinting new TL's is not common around these parts yet.... I agree with you and wish I had the luxury to even find Ceramic tint..!!
the installer who has been doing this for over 20 years cant tint thsoe small windows properly???

im sorry to tell you this, but you saying that a lot of 'TL's havent gotten tinted yet' is why the small windows cant be done properly is not a good excuse....

the TL isnt the only car with small windows.......