Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting in CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:31 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Tinting in CA

What is exactly a law for tinting in CA? I did go through the DIY/Info on state laws and the chp home page at ;

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

The second paragraph states;

"However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced."

Still confused if I can tint the driver and front passanger window? What are your experience? Any recommendations on the tinting vendor in Bay area for 04 TL who knows about the felt installation to eliminate scratching?
Old 12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, based on that sentence it sounds like unless you are planning to use a clear and colorless material, you cannot tint the driver's and passenger side windows.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Team SSM

As an Officer of the finest law enforcement agency in the world, here's the skinny...

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

or this option:
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Even in NY, they have the similar regulations on this issue. The dealer said they would do 35% tint for your car, but it's all your own responsibility to fulfill any requirement stated by law. Usually, police won't give you ticket because of your tint. But they have right to ticket to whoever they want.

In 35% tint, Ppl still can see you.

What are the laws in NYS about tinted vehicle windows?

Answer :

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Stick with 35% tint on all the doors and rear window, and you should be perfectly fine. It doesn't hurt to roll down the windows if you should get pulled over, just to be sure.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by copter
As an Officer of the finest law enforcement agency in the world, here's the skinny...

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

or this option:
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
Just one more reason to leave over-regulated California, and go to a more reasonable state that is not run by a bunch of liberal lawmakers. It is a beautiful state, but it has been taken over by the loony left.:banghead:
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
At least they count our votes!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by elroy
At least they count our votes!
:lol1:

That is what you think.

I can bet that most states that came under the medias microscope with the presidency on the line would have very similar problems. It just doesn't come out because of the races never being that close before.

If you should be annoyed at anyone, it should be the fools that couldn't even punch a simple ballot properly, and supposedly voted for the wrong candidate (The ballot in question designed by a Democrat who wanted to make it easier for them to vote correctly)
:lol2:
Old 12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile No argument with any state...

...after all, when they do count our votes, we elect Arnold!

Have a good holiday.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Banned

Re: No argument with any state...

Originally posted by elroy
...after all, when they do count our votes, we elect Arnold!

Have a good holiday.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Z Factor
Just one more reason to leave over-regulated California, and go to a more reasonable state that is not run by a bunch of liberal lawmakers. It is a beautiful state, but it has been taken over by the loony left.:banghead:
So are you saying that the conservative right is so incompetent that it can't get anything done, and yet the liberal right has made all the accomplishments? I suppose you think Grey Davis was responsible for the deficit in California, but George Bush is somehow not responsible for consuming the nations surplus and putting us so deep into debt. No point in everyone sharing the blame and taking steps to make changes, better to just point at the other party whenever possible...like here on the Acura website.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry, I meant "liberal left" . that was a Freudian slip. See, even on an unconscious level I'm aware that neither side is without fault.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:18 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

So back to tinting -- where have you guys gone for your tinting jobs in Northern California (SF Bay Area?) Have you asked them to install that felt thing? What percentage tint have you requested?

And more importantly, did you tint the driver and passenger side windows? If so, same % or different?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:07 AM
Instructor

I'm planning to tint for interior protection purposes. I don't mind tinting the sides on the darker side. I don't want the rear to be dark since it makes it hard backing up at night.

I don't have plans to tint the front windows. Too much hassle to have it removed if you get a ticket.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro

Just got mine tinted with SolarGard Titanium, 32% Front Sides, 21% All others. It's a metallic tint and no problems with the Navi.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Instructor

The Nav antenna is outside so tinting should have not affect. I use an IPAQ with a GPS attachment. The GPS receiver works fine even on the floor of my car. Of course it gets maximum reception when placed on the dash.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:12 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by GoBig
Just got mine tinted with SolarGard Titanium, 32% Front Sides, 21% All others. It's a metallic tint and no problems with the Navi.
How much did it cost you to do the entire thing? Is 32% noticeable to a point where an officer might stop you?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Here is a link to the California code (from google search):

http://www.tintdude.com/atoh.html#California

it says 70% tint (essentially clear) for the front windows.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Lore
How much did it cost you to do the entire thing? Is 32% noticeable to a point where an officer might stop you?
It is noticible and I do have the possibility of getting a ticket for it; however, all of my cars are or have been tinted and I've never gotten a ticket for them.

I had two cars tinted and RSX and the TL all for $350 out the door in Riverside.