Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by xpditor42
My advice: don't mess with the 3rd brake light housing. It doesn't touch the window in any TL I've looked at. It's kind of cantilevered out from the headliner. It has a rubber skirt on three sides which seems should press up against the glass. But it doesn't. I thought something was wrong with mine because I had a 1/2" gap between the rubber skirt and the back glass. I complained to the tinter that they had messed it up. They told me to take it to the dealer, get it fixed, and send them the bill.

I went to the dealer and looked at 3 new TLs. They were all much like mine with a gap. My gap may have been an 1/8" more- maybe. Not enough to have those greasy handed mechs all over my supple Corinthian leather! :ar15: I can live with it since the new ones come that way.

I don't know if it's a screw up or if it was designed that way for better air circulation around the light. I know the housing on my Maxima melted from the heat of the bulbs after a few years. Put a hole clean through it.

Point is, they don't need to drop it because they can tuck the tint under the lip no problem. Room to spare.

xpditor42, do you see the red reflection from your 3rd braking light? after tints and before tints?

I just checked up my car, which is without that gap, my 3-side rubber skirt of 3rd braking light is attached tightly and closely to the rear window. But I have to agree it's so easy to move that skirt, and the skirt will not go back and leave the gap out there if you move it roughly.

Also, check out this https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...05&postcount=6 by ducnine if ppl like to do something big...

Old 05-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by rets
[/size]

xpditor42, do you see the red reflection from your 3rd braking light? after tints and before tints?

I just checked up my car, which is without that gap, my 3-side rubber skirt of 3rd braking light is attached tightly and closely to the rear window. But I have to agree it's so easy to move that skirt, and the skirt will not go back and leave the gap out there if you move it roughly.
I don't remember seeing the red reflection before the tint, but I do now after the tint. My car is still very new with low mileage. When I put the brake on at night, the rear window is bathed in red.

That was VERY helpful to see that schematic. It looks like the housing just pulls down from the forward edge. I was going to try and do that, but I was unsure of its method of attachment.

Of course we have all heard of the drooping headliner issues near the moonroof which is caused, supposedly, by defective adhesion to the roof panel of a velcro fastner. I wonder if that is the case in the rear near the brake light also.

You are the first person to tell me your housing and its rubber skirt are tight against the window. Now, I am not satisfied with mine the way it is. I would prefer to fix it myself. I just don't like those guys in the shop crawling all over my car. They don't give it the same TLC that I do. It's just another car to them.

Anyone reading this who has checked their brake light? I may start a thread on this topic and take a poll. Does the skirt on your light press against the window, or is there a gap?

XP
Old 05-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

xp, would you like to take a few shots for us?

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81447
Old 05-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rets
xp, would you like to take a few shots for us?

I can do that. It's difficult (I tried) because the glass is transparent but I will try it with a white background.

XP
Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Arrow

BTW, you can't see it from the outside as the black dot matrix obscures the view. You have to look from the inside back seat or feel it with your fingers.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xpditor42
Actually, I just added those pictures to my album on SnapFish (link is below). They will want you to register to view the pics but it is safe and free plus you can then post your pics for free. And for registering, they will send you 10 free prints of any of your digital pics that you upload. :hitit:
thanks for putting up the pics and the info, but the site says the album is unavailable at the moment. i will check back some other time to take a peek.

im still doing the paperwork with rick case. its kind of a pain since im so far away. but it will get here soon enough
Old 05-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Pics of Brake Light gap

This is a cross-posting of the thread that deals with this issue.

Pics you asked for are here:

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=2552...150/l=27490962
Old 05-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Team Anthracite

ahh... the tint looks nice

is that 35% tint AFTER the process? or 35% film added to the stock windows?

i hear the windows come with a small ammount of tint that (in combonation with the 35% film) might make you fail your yearly inspection.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Let's make ppl easier to see...

This is mine.

Old 05-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation The land of the free and the home of los bravos

Originally Posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
ahh... the tint looks nice. Is that 35% tint AFTER the process? or 35% film added to the stock windows?

I hear the windows come with a small ammount of tint that (in combination with the 35% film) might make you fail your yearly inspection.
What is a yearly inspection? This is Florida. We don't mess with people's private affairs. This is where you have a right to carry a concealed weapon. We don't have car inspections. If your car is belching smoke, you will be cited. Otherwise: enjoy!

The law says 30% film for the front side windows. There is a 10% grace margin. You could go to 27-28% and be OK. You don't get stopped just for tint. My film is 35% added to whatever the stock tint is. I believe it is probably about 85% of the visible spectrum. 85% of 35% is about 29%, still within the law as near as I can figure.

I know that, combined, they block more than 65% of the heat. That is what is important in Florida. I am told 80% of the heat comes from the front and back windows. That being the case, I have reduce 20% of the heat by 65% and 40% by 70%. Now I'm confused. It's a LOT cooler.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...862#post814862
Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Advanced

has anyone heard of "Solar Guard" brand of tint? Tustin Acura ref'd me to this shop in Irvine (california), and they only offer solar guard for all windows plus felt install 5 year warranty $180. is that good brand and a good deal?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Racer

http://www.formulaonetinting.com/tint_automotive.asp

I would recommend finding a dealer with formulaone pinnacle, it's a non-metallic tint. I have not personally heard of Solar Guard, but here's some information regardin their tints:

http://www.solargard.com/index.cfm/f...gh_Performance
Old 07-28-2004, 03:12 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Which shop did they refer you to? They referred me to "A Perfect Tint" in Mission Viejo, but I haven't had the chance to take it in. As Shinj1EVA stated, you want to stay away from metalic tints, or it may interfere with your navi, XM and possibly your radio reception. Let me know where you end up going and how it works out.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Racer

I didn't get referred to anyone, I simply just called around asking places if they had llumar tint available.. I believe I went to Steve's Tint Shop in Upland, CA. Took an hour or so to do, I decided to wait there and watch them apply the film. It was a little expensive there, but I wasn't really shopping around, just wanted it done
Old 07-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

close

Solarguard is a major brand of film. I can't speak to its quality as I have no experience with it.

Page 3 of our Navigation Owner's Manual says:

Accessories Precautions
If you have rear window tinting installed, be aware that if the tint has metallic properties, it can seriously degrade or prevent GPS reception. This is because the GPS antenna is located under the rear window beneath the package tray."

Metallic tint won't bother XM reception as that antenna is on the roof - the nubby at the back. It also impacts AM radio reception and, possibly weakens the signal of a cell phone inside the car if all the windows have metallic tint.

That said, if you are in a strong signal area, you might not notice the weakened signal.

Some of our members have had metallic tint installed and report no problems.

Almost all tint is metallic except for the cheaper dyed films or the more expensive ceramic films. The latter are made by Formula One (Llumar) Pinnacle and Huper Optik.

XP
Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Solarguard is a major brand of film. I can't speak to its quality as I have no experience with it.

Page 3 of our Navigation Owner's Manual says:

Accessories Precautions
If you have rear window tinting installed, be aware that if the tint has metallic properties, it can seriously degrade or prevent GPS reception. This is because the GPS antenna is located under the rear window beneath the package tray."

Metallic tint won't bother XM reception as that antenna is on the roof - the nubby at the back. It also impacts AM radio reception and, possibly weakens the signal of a cell phone inside the car if all the windows have metallic tint.

That said, if you are in a strong signal area, you might not notice the weakened signal.

Some of our members have had metallic tint installed and report no problems.

Almost all tint is metallic except for the cheaper dyed films or the more expensive ceramic films. The latter are made by Formula One (Llumar) Pinnacle and Huper Optik.

XP
What is a 'moleskin window kit' ?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Skin that mole!

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
What is a 'moleskin window kit' ?
Moleskin is a fuzzy, felt-like material that has been used for at least 50 years in the window channels of automobiles to softly seal the glass and minimize friction. You can see it and feel it on almost any car when the widow is down.

A moleskin kit has been put together by one of our members, flnsx (send him a privare message for details). Many of us have obtained that low-cost kit and installed it ourselves on all four doors to prevent the tint film from being scratched by a particularly aggressive lower rubber wiper on th TL.

Many members report their tint film getting marred and scratched without the moleskin. It seems to be a problem with TLs and with Mercedes-Benz because of close tolerances and tight seals.

Other members have said they don't have the moleskin and don't have a problem. Yet. A lot depends on your driving conditions and the frequency of window usage.

Personally, for me, the $25 and one hour's time was worth the peace of mind.

XP