Sponsored by:

Tint Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Bring Blink Back!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Removal Question

Hi Guys,

I got my windows tinted this weekend at Best Window Tinting. I had a bad experience (surprising after I read all the recs they received from members of this board...not surprising that it happened to me ) and my tint job was rushed. The result is there were tears on the 3/4 window of my driver side tint, small but yes, noticable.

So my question is: I read there is an OEM 70% tint on the windows. If i have them remove the tint they applied, will they also have to remove the 70% oem tint, or is the 70% somehow embedded in the glass? Or, can they remove just the tint they applied without removing the 70% tint?

The reason I'm asking is that if they remove their tint + the 70% tint and reapply their tint alone, it will be lighter than the rest of the car.

TIA~
Old 09-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Racer

The OEM tint is not a film. It is a part of the actual glass. Go have them re-do the tint and you will be just fine.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Bring Blink Back!

Whoo I was hoping that would be the answer. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why was your tint job rushed? this is the first negative experience from Best Window Tinting.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Bring Blink Back!

I wouldn't characterize it as a negative experience but it was disappointing (sp?). I got some work done while i was waiting there, more than i actually would have done if i were somewhere else so it wasn't like a complete waste of time.

It was rushed because of the receptionist. She kept going in and checking on them and making them hurry because it was already 5 and she wanted to go home. Did it about 3 times. On Saturdays BWT closes at 4 and she had friends calling up so I'm guessing she wanted to hang out with her friends. I even had to pay before I got to look at it because it was so late already...my mistake on that one I guess. And, when Carlos was still working there he quoted me $160 so when I stated that to her she didn't know what to do. Apparently the rates have gone up to $190 so she told Robert and Robert just said to honor that price now and for the next month. But she didn't like that idea so she said that after that day there will be no more tints for $160. They arguing about the price in front of me so it was a little awkward I felt like stepping in and telling them I would just pay the difference if it meant that much to her.

I actually scheduled my appointment for 1, show up at 1240 and just left my keys on the counter and hung out in their "waiting room". They didn't take my car in until 3 (I was still waiting in the waiting room not knowing they woudlnt take my car in that late), and like I said they closed at 4 so they were in a bit of a rush. I thought that it would take a few hours based on other posts, but to my surprise they finished by 5,,,thats 2 hours. I would have rather had them tell me to come back because we dont have enough time to do your car before we close. Would have been unhappy but its better than messing up the tint. I just figured they would do the job properly since they took the car at 3 and would have just stayed late. I guess they would have if it wasn't for the receptionist.

BTW, I posted in another thread, but Carlos apparently got fired for some reason. Now Phillip and Robert are the one handling the tint, both seem like great guys. The rest of the car is fine. Phillip is the one that did my tint I believe (wasn't watching them while they were doing it, but he was the one who drove my car in) and I have since talked to him and have scheduled an appointment to get the problem fixed.

So, they have absolved themselves in my eyes and like I said, its just a couple of minor places where the tint was cut improperly so I could have lived with it if they just left it, but no, they are willing to correct the problem entirely.

Plus they have a lifetime warranty on their tint so I would still recommend them to anyone asking. And like I said the rest of the car appeared to be fine.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think mine actually took less than 2hrs. I dropped my keys off in Carlos's hand then he took my car around and 1hr 45min later he was done. There were no other cars back there, so they had 3 people working on my car.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by contraryan
I wouldn't characterize it as a negative experience but it was disappointing (sp?). I got some work done while i was waiting there, more than i actually would have done if i were somewhere else so it wasn't like a complete waste of time.

It was rushed because of the receptionist. She kept going in and checking on them and making them hurry because it was already 5 and she wanted to go home. Did it about 3 times. On Saturdays BWT closes at 4 and she had friends calling up so I'm guessing she wanted to hang out with her friends. I even had to pay before I got to look at it because it was so late already...my mistake on that one I guess. And, when Carlos was still working there he quoted me $160 so when I stated that to her she didn't know what to do. Apparently the rates have gone up to $190 so she told Robert and Robert just said to honor that price now and for the next month. But she didn't like that idea so she said that after that day there will be no more tints for $160. They arguing about the price in front of me so it was a little awkward I felt like stepping in and telling them I would just pay the difference if it meant that much to her.

I actually scheduled my appointment for 1, show up at 1240 and just left my keys on the counter and hung out in their "waiting room". They didn't take my car in until 3 (I was still waiting in the waiting room not knowing they woudlnt take my car in that late), and like I said they closed at 4 so they were in a bit of a rush. I thought that it would take a few hours based on other posts, but to my surprise they finished by 5,,,thats 2 hours. I would have rather had them tell me to come back because we dont have enough time to do your car before we close. Would have been unhappy but its better than messing up the tint. I just figured they would do the job properly since they took the car at 3 and would have just stayed late. I guess they would have if it wasn't for the receptionist.

BTW, I posted in another thread, but Carlos apparently got fired for some reason. Now Phillip and Robert are the one handling the tint, both seem like great guys. The rest of the car is fine. Phillip is the one that did my tint I believe (wasn't watching them while they were doing it, but he was the one who drove my car in) and I have since talked to him and have scheduled an appointment to get the problem fixed.

So, they have absolved themselves in my eyes and like I said, its just a couple of minor places where the tint was cut improperly so I could have lived with it if they just left it, but no, they are willing to correct the problem entirely.

Plus they have a lifetime warranty on their tint so I would still recommend them to anyone asking. And like I said the rest of the car appeared to be fine.

did you get the 40% solar gard supreme? Did they push the tint all in way down for the rear window? Also could you post a picture of your tint? if i like what i see i might jus tmake an appointment.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Bring Blink Back!

Damn,,,they only had 2 people and one of them was helping some other lady or working on another car. Eventually he jumped in though. They also had 2 cars in the shop when i went at my appointment time thats why it took them so long to get to my car.

I asked for the 50%, but it looks more like 40% or greater because its pretty dark. So I will be asking about that when I go on Saturday. But if you want to see what it looks like I'll be glad to post pics, however since I'm questionning the grade I don't know how much good it will do since I don't know what % it is for sure. Just let me know if you want to see what i have.

That was the other thing...Robert was helping me at first but he left to take some ladies car to her or pick her up or something. So the other guy took my car and I'm not 100% that it was the right %. Of course I coudln't ask since all the lights were out when I went in to pick up my keys.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
dang carlos got fired, that sucks. i don't think 2 hours is a total rush job, or maybe it wasn't for carlos. when i went he knew i was just sitting in the waiting room reading girly teen mags and almost falling asleep from eating jack right before i came in. he finished mine in 1hour 50 minutes and it was a great tint job.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Bring Blink Back!

Originally Posted by wasupdog
dang carlos got fired, that sucks. i don't think 2 hours is a total rush job, or maybe it wasn't for carlos. when i went he knew i was just sitting in the waiting room reading girly teen mags and almost falling asleep from eating jack right before i came in. he finished mine in 1hour 50 minutes and it was a great tint job.
Damn, i guess i got some rookie then. nah but Philip was cool when he called. And robert was cool when i was there. It was the damn receptionist that was forcing him to charge 190 to everyone and she kept giong back to check on them even though I was cool with waiting. I didn't know receptionists were on commission.

Yeah it was weird. I made an appointment the first time with Carlos and spoke to him, then had to go out of town on business so the next day i called to cancel and he was canned.

Oh, I also noticed the cutting was suspect too on that last 3/4 window. So i just attributed it all to him being rushed by bridezilla.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:21 PM
My Garage not

yea, u can always tell how good the tint jobs are if there are no bubbles when they tint the dots on the back window, if they tint the dots at all. also, on every window the tint should go all the way up to the top. i drove about 50 miles to best to get the moleskin put in but my roommate got his g35 done at a place up in the valley. he said the guy usually does lambos and porsches. u can tell it was a good job, the tints are completely flush with the top of the window.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
My Garage not

bridezilla or one of the employees at best told u carlos got canned?? why wouldn't they just say something impartial like "he is no longer working here"??