Tint in MD/DC/VA Area... that does moleskin too?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008 | 08:42 AM
Instructor

Tint in MD/DC/VA Area... that does moleskin too?

The title says it all... but just for good measure... Does anyone know of a tint shop around MD, DC, or VA that will do a great tint job and also install quality moleskin?

thanks much!
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:36 AM
Slow Paper> No Paper

The Tintshoppe . They are located off of route 1. In woodbridge. They will be almost right across the street from the Karen Radley Acura/Volvo. They have pretty good prices and they do have there own moleskin. I think he quoted me like and extra 20-30 bucks more for it. I guess they have some good stuff I did not use it i ordered from a vendor on this site. His stuff works great. Not a hard install either. But there you go. Hey he also may be short on the moleskin because he asked me where I got mine from and I refered him to the vendor I went to so check it out.

They did great work also. 5% all around.
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:40 AM
Instructor

3 Questions...

1. When you say all around, do you mean windshield too? If so can you see out at night?

2. 5% is really dark.. what color is your interior

3. Do you have any pictures of your car you could put up or link to?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:06 AM
Slow Paper> No Paper

Originally Posted by yisrael42
3 Questions...

1. When you say all around, do you mean windshield too? If so can you see out at night?

2. 5% is really dark.. what color is your interior

3. Do you have any pictures of your car you could put up or link to?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
1. Not the windsheild. I'm not that bold.

2. I have camel interior you know the yellowish orange color with wood grain trim.

3. No Not yet I have been on bed rest just had hip surgery.
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:07 AM
Drifting

PM TheKlassic. I think thats his title here. He runs a shop in Rockville, is a vendor as well. He does moleskin and from what I can tell runs a great shop.

Edit: I correct that, he can do it if you bring them moleskin. The reason why they stopped was because the moleskin supposedly tends to come loose, and then spreads glue all throughout. PM and ask him specifics.
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:56 AM
Instructor

is that the guy from Driven Dynamics? And is it true that the moleskin comes off and spreads glue?

Also, if you don't use the moleskin, how bad is the scratching really on the tints?
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:00 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

I'm scheduled to get mine done and Driven Dynamics on 5/9. They don't do moleskin as a rule, but they will install mine for an extra $50. Anybody have any opinion on these guys?
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:37 PM
Drifting

^^ Driven Dynamics.... Thats the place!!! TheKlassic on this forum is an endorsed vendor here. They do a great job, and know what there doing...
Old 04-25-2008 | 12:39 PM
Drifting

In regards to the MoleSkin. I dont have it on my windows. After 1.5 years I have not had any scratches.... I keep the window sills clean. If you do that, you wont have issues of scratching. What is it that scratches? Dirt, debris is what causes the scratching.

I believe they also provide lifetime warranty. So if it does scratch, just let them know and they will take care of you!!!
Old 04-25-2008 | 03:49 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

That's great! Thanks
Old 04-25-2008 | 04:15 PM
RAR

Hmm I'm thinking about setting up a meet and have a demo on how to open our doors so you can install moleskin or speakers or the KP module...

I need to mole my rear windows anyway.
Old 04-25-2008 | 04:35 PM
Slow Paper> No Paper

Really man you should not pay someone 50 bucks to put on Moleskin. It is very simple you only unsrew like three srews and lift and the door cover comes right off. DYI also comes with the Moleskin Kit.
Old 04-26-2008 | 12:49 PM
Racer

Thanks for the references guys!

Ok, so here's the deal: I was offering moleskin at one point, but then the weather warmed up and I got glue (which hardened) all over my passenger windows. On the other windows where it didn't come off I have an annoying problem with rain and water retention.

I can have the guys install the mole skin for you - no problem, but if you start seeing problems like above I can't cover it under the usual warranty. From what I'm experiencing, its not a quality product. I can't honesly carry a product that may do this to a customers car.

The warranty on the film is still guaranteed. And it's all backed by a no questions asked replacement policy.

But the moleskin stuff is still suspect.

I actually left it in my car as is so if anyone wants pics I can take em.

Also to echo what other's are saying, you really don't need to pay anyone to install this. In our 3rd gen TL's you can just pull the panel apart at the top and access all you need to get this installed. It's a quick mod.

Lastly, I still stand by my original advice of cleaning the seals regularly to avoid scratches.

Check out the group rate in my signature below, and if you'd like to read up more on moleskin, hit up out blog for installation pics and background info:

www.drivendynamics.com/blog

Thanks!
Collin