Tint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005 | 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Tint!

So what's everyone's tint %, material?
I'm thinking about 50% fronts 25% back and rearview, what do you guys think about that?
Old 11-03-2005 | 04:36 AM
Cold Racketeer

I think it should be the same % or very close between front and back.. otherwise it just looks less clean overall. I would do the standard 35% all around. I got 45% all around because the place only had non metallic film in that % and 15% which is way too dark. It's a carbon material.
Old 11-03-2005 | 06:12 AM
Intermediate

I got 20% put on the other day. It looks ok but then again I thought 20 would be darker than that. Wish I couldv'e gotten it darker though.
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I have 20% on driver and passenger, and 5% on the three in the back.. I would do 35 then 25 in the back. That would be a better transition IMO. My buddy Shalinz (another member on the board) and I both got ours tinted at the same time and he got the 35 front 25 in back and it looks good.
Old 11-03-2005 | 09:13 AM
Instructor

I got 15 all around and it looks damn fine on my WDP.
Old 11-03-2005 | 09:23 AM
All About Trance

I got 35% ceramic all around since I can't go any lower than 32% in my state.
Old 11-03-2005 | 09:25 AM
Racer

50% in the front and 25% in the back I think would not look to good. Plus the function for the tint would not be that great in the front. Like Trancemission stated, I did 35%, 25%. It does block a lot of the heat and because it doesn't go from really light to really dark in the transition, it looks really good.

Some people do like darker, but I don't cause with the auto dimming rear view mirror, it just makes it hard to see. I have to admit though that even though trancemission got it pretty dark, it does look really sweet.
Old 11-03-2005 | 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Well I live in Cali. and any kind of tint would be illegal :|. I heard it's cauz cops want to give carpool tickets haha. Well I'm trying to a little offset thing by having the back a lot darker then the front which would make the front look less tinted

Well I looked up some tint laws right after i posted^ and according to http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm from my interpretation, CA can have a 30% front and any back, can anyone comfirm that?
Old 11-03-2005 | 12:52 PM
Intermediate

I mean 70% front infront.
Old 11-03-2005 | 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wiretapped
Well I live in Cali. and any kind of tint would be illegal :|. I heard it's cauz cops want to give carpool tickets haha. Well I'm trying to a little offset thing by having the back a lot darker then the front which would make the front look less tinted

Well I looked up some tint laws right after i posted^ and according to http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm from my interpretation, CA can have a 30% front and any back, can anyone comfirm that?
Here's one that might be of interest (in bold) to you. It's from the CHP Street Legal page. Anyway, I see cars on a daily basis with the front side windows tinted and I know it's not OEM. I'm pretty sure the folks in Cali are aware of this or the tinters/customers choose to ignore it. IMO, seems it's not heavily enforced. However, I did get a fixit ticket several years back for front tints.
Illegal...

* Lack of front and rear DMV-issued license plates (5200 VC).
* Lowered frame (or any other part) that is lower than the lowest point of the wheel rim (24008 VC).
* Air and hydraulic suspension systems that are operated unsafely or with the vehicle lower than allowed (24002, 24008 VC).
* Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC).
* Lack of white rear license plate light (24601 VC). It must illuminate the license plate, not project light behind the vehicle.
* Missing front and/or rear bumpers (28071 VC).
Old 11-03-2005 | 02:29 PM
My Daily Driver

ok, here is mine, NBP with 15% Llumar all the way around.

Old 11-03-2005 | 06:10 PM
Banned

I've got 35% in the rear and 20% in the front. Give's it that fade to rear look IMO.
Old 11-03-2005 | 06:29 PM
Instructor

50% front, 35% rear.

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:25 PM
Racer

Lightbulb

I went with 35% all around since I prefer not to have a 2 tone look between the front & rear (35% is a legal max for front in my state). Be aware that the tint does make it difficult to see out the rear window at night, especially on the TL. I cannot see my backup lights at night....and I am planning to replace those bulbs wih PIAAs as a result.

There are some good threads out here about tints types, brands and installation. You will also see examples of edge to edge tint installations on the rear door quarter windows. Some of us have that and like that look. I had to ask for that specifically when I got my tint installed.

But do what your tastes and wallet allow.

Good Luck!
Old 11-03-2005 | 07:29 PM
Pro

i think if ur gonna tint...u should tint all the way around with the same amount..like for myself i have 35% tint all around...looks really good..but i wish i would've went with 20% instead...but yeha 35% is still nice....but yeah get 20% all the way around..dont get mix match tint ....it wont look that good..it woudl actually look kinda wierd...
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:16 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

for the two who posted pics did ur tinter have to remove the back door pannel to fully tint the lil windows to me it seems like they didnt tint that infamous lil strip. and did u install moleskin? if not how are the tints holdin up? andif u dont mind me asking how much for the tinit job
Old 11-03-2005 | 08:19 PM
Intermediate

dang johnny that's hot man.
Old 11-03-2005 | 11:18 PM
My Daily Driver

azninvazion: I did not install moleskin. Thats just because the tinter knows what he is doing. I also did not have him take apart the door to get the little strip behind the rear quarter windows. I am going to a graphics shop tomorrow and I will have them make me a black vinyl strip to go on the outside of the window that will cover up that infamous little strip, so it will not be as obvious.

As far as cost, I work for a dealership, and he does tint for us all the time. He came to me one day while I was working and did it for $100. As I said, Llumar Film, life time warranty!

Wiretapped: Thanks! Next on the list is a nice drop, and blacked out tail lights....that should be it for a while. Final touches will be painted grill, rear plate frame, and black wheels with a polished lip! I want this car as black as possible!
Old 11-04-2005 | 03:27 PM
I'm Baaack!

Formula One Premium (metallic) 20% all the way around. (a little dark for my state but it looks killer on the RRP)
Old 11-04-2005 | 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by azninvazion
for the two who posted pics did ur tinter have to remove the back door pannel to fully tint the lil windows to me it seems like they didnt tint that infamous lil strip. and did u install moleskin? if not how are the tints holdin up? andif u dont mind me asking how much for the tinit job
I have the untinted strip, and it bugs me! There are tinters who can tint the entire window though. Someone posted in another thread one local to me who can, so I may have it redone this Summer. I also have the Llumar tint, and I think it was around $180. No mole skin, and the tint is in pretty good shape, but a couple light scratches.
Old 11-04-2005 | 05:55 PM
Dance & Dream Productions

does anyone have pictures of 50% or 45% all around...I'm not digging the mix/match tints...
Old 11-04-2005 | 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by shalinz
Plus the function for the tint would not be that great in the front.
depending if you are putting tint on your vehicle to reflect UV rays and heat out of your car, then it doesn't matter the % of tint you put on it...

however if you are using tint as a privacy method, then shanliz wold be right and would not be very effective by having 50% tints in front...

i have 35% front and 20% rear and you can't really tell the difference... sorry i don't have a pic of what you are looking for...

Old 11-04-2005 | 07:14 PM
10th Gear

i think the ront and the back should be the same.... i did samething on my old car and it was wirred.. so i recommand do it the same all around or really close
Old 11-22-2005 | 05:19 PM
Banned

Buy mole skin below.
Old 12-01-2005 | 06:57 AM
My baby's daddy

I'll post pics soon but I did 35% front, 25% rear and way back. You can tell the difference but only slightly. It would have looked best to do 25% all four but I wanted to discourage to the police from harrassing me. It looks really tight!

With a beige interior, 25% is enough to provide some security as you have to really get up on it to see anything on the floor. You can, however, see the seat in normal light. At night, black. The 35% is pretty visible. You can see insite during the day just fine. 35% on all windows would have mostly cosmetic and would not have provided the benefits I was looking for: eliminate glare from my child's carseat (exciting, eh?) and prevent thieves from window shopping.
Old 12-01-2005 | 07:03 AM
My baby's daddy

I want to tint my wife's front windows. The rest of her super-sport, hi-performance, head turing minivan are already tinted from the factory. Does anyone know where I can buy a roll of hi performanve, premium tint?

After inspecting the work the dealership's preferred tinters did, I would rather do it myself. I used to apply 2 mil, self-adhesive vinyl graphics for a sign and graphics company (to everything from windows to sheet metal to thin plastic styrene) and that stuff is way harder to apply perfectly then thick 4 mil, metallic tint.

I was told to give my TL's tint at least a month, in current colder conditions, to let all the bubbles out. Problem is, some of those bubble look a little white and airy. They will fix it if it isn't right but I'd rather get some tint and haveit on hand.
I'd also like to re-tint my VW vanagon with something that doesn't scream "pot-smoker van". Its currently limo black and looks a little scarey.
Old 12-01-2005 | 07:56 AM
Safety Car

What's a good tinting place to go in the Bay Area? I need something that won't mess up the navigation reception.
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
What's a good tinting place to go in the Bay Area? I need something that won't mess up the navigation reception.
Do search for that (Bay Area Tint). Couple of folks had some good recommendations in San Jose (forgot the name of the place). There's also a place in Livermore called Rocky Mountain Tint. They did a few AZ members cars. They use F1 Pinnacle, btw.
Old 12-02-2005 | 11:15 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

whats this little strip that everyone is talking about regarding the rear windows?
Old 12-02-2005 | 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by triton3k
whats this little strip that everyone is talking about regarding the rear windows?
It's the molding around the rear quarter window. Some installers will apply tint to the inside of the molding rather than sliding the film to go under it. IMO, it is very noticeable.
Old 12-02-2005 | 02:34 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
It's the molding around the rear quarter window. Some installers will apply tint to the inside of the molding rather than sliding the film to go under it. IMO, it is very noticeable.

hmmm, does anyone have a picture to see how noticeable this looks?
Old 12-03-2005 | 10:19 AM
My Daily Driver

here....

This is what it looks like untinted.......

Here is what it looks like now. I went to a local graphics shop, he took a pic of the rear window, and made me two black vinyl stickers in the exact shape to cover that area. It was cheaper then having the tinter redo the windows, and if you dont know its there, you would never notice.....

Old 12-03-2005 | 04:05 PM
Instructor

tinted windows

don't tint them........ spray paint dem sh!ts black son!
Old 12-03-2005 | 04:23 PM
One on the right for me

that cut out looks good over the rear stripe. I hate mine, it screws up the look of the car. i went back to the tinter, said he didnt want to slide the tint under there b/c he couldnt clean the window...i told him to do it anyway and that i would release him of all responsibility. he game me my money back instead. there are some places that can and will tint the rear window without removing it. i really like the idea of the sticker thing.
Old 12-04-2005 | 07:46 PM
My Daily Driver

if you want one, let me know. The sticker shop I had them made has the template saved, so it would literally take him 5 minutes to print them out. If possible, you could probably call him and just buy them from him if he is willing to ship. Otherwise, I can get them for you, then you can paypal me the money and I can ship them to you.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 12-04-2005 | 08:37 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
if you want one, let me know. The sticker shop I had them made has the template saved, so it would literally take him 5 minutes to print them out. If possible, you could probably call him and just buy them from him if he is willing to ship. Otherwise, I can get them for you, then you can paypal me the money and I can ship them to you.

Let me know if you are interested.

whats the pricing on them?
Old 12-04-2005 | 11:54 PM
My Daily Driver

I paid about $25 since I was the first. That included all the editing to get the angles and cut right, and a few test fits before it was correct. Now that he has it stored, I'm gonna guess between 10-15 for the black, otherwise he could do a CF pattern or just about any color you want. Its a great store, and I know the owner (mutual friend) so I'm sure I could work something out with him if it was a bulk deal of maybe 10 or more sets.
Old 12-05-2005 | 03:31 PM
Advanced

I have 35% on all four doors and 20% on the rear glass. Job done at Lorenzo's tint in the Bronx. THey put moleskins all around and they I was charged $325. I really recommend everyone go there, very professional, great service, owner is easy and good to talk 2. I havent had a problem with the tints, they even covered that little gap in the small rear glass I've seen various people complain about. Will post pics as soon as the weather clears.
Old 12-05-2005 | 06:24 PM
My Daily Driver

wow.....i paid $100 for my tint.....you got if you paid 325.

THe most i've ever been quoted for a four door car was 175.

I got 3M Llumar Tint all the way around, with lifetime warranty. 20%
Old 12-05-2005 | 07:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
wow.....i paid $100 for my tint.....you got if you paid 325.

THe most i've ever been quoted for a four door car was 175.

I got 3M Llumar Tint all the way around, with lifetime warranty. 20%
Good luck with that buddy. Let's start a blog on how long it will take until your tints to start scratching..

Buddy good luck with your tints... Oh, and just remember... that lifetime warranty applies to the quality of the tint.... not what physical damage your car causes it Enjoy!!

Truth is, i received estimates from various places and with the installation of moleskins around the door , $325 was the norm. And i didn't want to get anything modified such as cutting the edge of the rubber.

Quick Reply: Tint!