Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint % in Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint % in Rhode Island

What % tint are you running on your car in RI? What are your colors, exterior and interior? Have you or do you have any troulble with the cops, inspection? You can pm or email me if you don`t want to post your secret inspection place. I have an 06 Alabaster with ebony, I want to tint enough to keep the sun from ruining my leather, make the car look better, keep the car a little cooler and protect my baby in the back seat from the bright sun light and UV rays. I don`t want to get hassled from the cops or have problems with inspections. Please, only people in RI or from RI, thanks.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

^ Right now I have 30% on my car, the state legal percentage is 35%. I'm pretty happy with mine since it's not too light and not too dark, you know?
At night, you can stare at anyone you want that you want to point your finger and laugh at and during the day, the cops won't be assholes to you about the whole fiasco. If you go any darker like 20%, then you're asking for trouble.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 35% all around and have no problems with the police. During the day, you can easily see in but it's dark enough to still look good. My car's silver with black interior. As for the inspection, haven't had to face that problem yet...won't be getting my inspection until summertime. If you know of a good place, let me know!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joe80055
^ Right now I have 30% on my car, the state legal percentage is 35%. I'm pretty happy with mine since it's not too light and not too dark, you know?
At night, you can stare at anyone you want that you want to point your finger and laugh at and during the day, the cops won't be assholes to you about the whole fiasco. If you go any darker like 20%, then you're asking for trouble.
35%? Are you sure? Everything I have read about the RI law says no more 70% tint, meaning at least 70% of the light must pass through.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rimike
35%? Are you sure? Everything I have read about the RI law says no more 70% tint, meaning at least 70% of the light must pass through.
Never mind, I just noticed your in Florida.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by apnorm
I have 35% all around and have no problems with the police. During the day, you can easily see in but it's dark enough to still look good. My car's silver with black interior. As for the inspection, haven't had to face that problem yet...won't be getting my inspection until summertime. If you know of a good place, let me know!
Are you in RI?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Are you in RI?
yes...Cranston
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Mike,

I thought in RI we couldn't have the front sides tinted but I just did a quick search and looks like 70% it is. Like I mentioned before, I have 35% and when I got my windows tinted, the shop told me I should be ok but technically, it's not legal. It's been over a year and so far so good.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to hijack but Cranston here too - 06 ASM/Quartz.

Mike I think there is a place down on Cranston Street around where Cranston & Webster Avenue cross. It's called Sunset Tint & Sign. I'd be interested to see what you find out too - mine are bare stock and I think the tint would be nice if we can get it done legally.

http://www.sunsettint.com/
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, i am from scituate...near the johnston line.

i have sent about 6 of my and my family's cars and about 6 of my firends cars to sunset tint on cranston st. they are def the best in the state, hands down. keep in mind, alot of people talk about cermaic tint not interefering with the nav in our cars......and sunset uses metalized film which does interfere a small bit. i have 35% on my car and it does throw the nav off a bit. i'd rather have sunset tint my car with metalized film than allow another shop to tint my car with ceramic.

as far a legality, if you can actually notice the tint on the windows.....it is illegal. 70%, they prob don't even make and 50% is more for UV protection than for darkening windows. The lightest i would recommend is 35%, which i have on my WDP/Ebony.

i have never been in trouble for my tint....knock on woodgrain...and have been pulled over a few times in various cars for it. they normally focus on the "no front plate" more than the tint.

i know a shop that passes tinted cars, pm me if you want the name/address. you may need to slip the guy a few bucks.....but i have seen some DARK tinted cars get stickers from him.

quick summary: you should be ok with 35% + ADD FELT FOR THE WINDOWS!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
acura-cl.com OG

btw, see my sig.....you may have seen my car around.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Instructor

How much does the metalic tint sunset uses affect the Nav?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Ding - They only place I have seen your car is on Domain. Damn you got a good looking TL there buddy. I do want to catch a good look at it since I am thinking I need to add the ASPEC kit to mine. I'm thinking I can do it myself, I've seen a ton of pics with & without but up close and in person would just be ideal.

Some of the other stuff you added leaves me clueless - but if you need some extra cash I'd pay ya for the help....LOL
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM
acura-cl.com OG

How much does the metalic tint sunset uses affect the Nav?
t will sometimes mike your nav be inaccurate by about 10 feet. nothing to serious, you will probably never notice.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Ding - They only place I have seen your car is on Domain. Damn you got a good looking TL there buddy. I do want to catch a good look at it since I am thinking I need to add the ASPEC kit to mine. I'm thinking I can do it myself, I've seen a ton of pics with & without but up close and in person would just be ideal.

Some of the other stuff you added leaves me clueless - but if you need some extra cash I'd pay ya for the help....LOL
whatever you want to do man, let me know.....i can help you out. i did everything to my car myself, except the suspension.
The navi hack is really cool and simple. I have a disc(it took me like 3 hours to make) using acurazines instructions, that changes the startup image, removes the press "ok" button on startup and adds a more detailed trip computer. only takes like 5 min to upload it to your nav system.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

That sounds really cool - wish I had the NAVI to do it on!!

I was on a budget when I got my TL so I skipped on the Nav. Kinda wish I had it but I'm still happy without it. The extra 2k will be spent elsewhere I'm sure. I don't have a garage at home so most of what I want to do will have to wait till spring.

I have TLS side markers, tailights and a TLS spoiler I want to install and in the spring I'm looking at the Aspec body kit.

Engine work I know nothing about so that I would be willing to pay someone cash to do - of course I'd help & learn on the way.

I'll send you a PM later today with my email if it's cool with you
Old 12-30-2006, 03:58 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by SteveP66
That sounds really cool - wish I had the NAVI to do it on!!

I was on a budget when I got my TL so I skipped on the Nav. Kinda wish I had it but I'm still happy without it. The extra 2k will be spent elsewhere I'm sure. I don't have a garage at home so most of what I want to do will have to wait till spring.

I have TLS side markers, tailights and a TLS spoiler I want to install and in the spring I'm looking at the Aspec body kit.

Engine work I know nothing about so that I would be willing to pay someone cash to do - of course I'd help & learn on the way.

I'll send you a PM later today with my email if it's cool with you
i have a heated garage to work in if you don't want to wait until spring....
i have done the tails and sidemarkers on may car, they aren't that involved.
as for the spoiler, i know they don't come with a template.....and drilling into someone elses car without a template isnt my kinda of thing. my lip came with one.

let me know, the sidemarkers and tails should only take about 1.5-2 hours.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by ding069
i have a heated garage to work in if you don't want to wait until spring....
i have done the tails and sidemarkers on may car, they aren't that involved.
as for the spoiler, i know they don't come with a template.....and drilling into someone elses car without a template isnt my kinda of thing. my lip came with one.

let me know, the sidemarkers and tails should only take about 1.5-2 hours.

Sounds great - going to send you my email so we can figure somthing out. I'm sure there are many mods you have done which would be cool to learn about. The CAI's and stuff guys do under the hood really interest me but I know nothing about it. What it does, benefits and stuff.

Sidemarkers went in this week - took me all of 10 seconds....LOL Plug & play....

As for the TLS spoiler I'm going to make a template once it arrives. Should be easy once I have it. Get some paper, draw some holes, cut some lines...etc...etc...

There's also a guy here that did it shaving off the 5 clips and just drilling two holes instead of the 7 it called for.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Holy Hi Jacked thread! JK. Ding, I just might be interested in that Nav hack. Any draw backs to doing that?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Banned

Never mind, I just noticed your in Florida.
In Florida, it's 20% but in RI it's pretty much illegal all around no matter what percentage. BUT, if you get 35% it's alright and they won't bother you. A state cop told me this when I pulled up next to him before. He's a friend of mine that usually patrols Airport Rd, Warwick Ave, Main Ave (Rt. 113), Post Rd. and the other busy avenues. His name's Officer McMullen. Ask any Warwick cop for him and he'll fill you in on the details on the whole Tint biz.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Thanks, I`m leaning towards 35% on the sides and rear more and more. I would rather not get hassled with 20% and have to pull it off.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Holy Hi Jacked thread! JK. Ding, I just might be interested in that Nav hack. Any draw backs to doing that?
none that i see. it is fully reversible at any time....simply disconnect the battery for 5-10min and it resets.
it saves you from having to press ok every time the nav starts. i love it!
Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Thanks, I`m leaning towards 35% on the sides and rear more and more. I would rather not get hassled with 20% and have to pull it off.
if you want to see my car, i have 35% on WDP/Ebony before you make your decision, let me know.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ding069
if you want to see my car, i have 35% on WDP/Ebony before you make your decision, let me know.
Ding - I'd like to check out your car sometimes...interested in doing the navi, cleared headlights and maybe even the lower mesh grill. Any recent pics?

(sorry for the hijack Mike)
Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by apnorm
Ding - I'd like to check out your car sometimes...interested in doing the navi, cleared headlights and maybe even the lower mesh grill. Any recent pics?

(sorry for the hijack Mike)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2456813
Old 01-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Maybe we setup a small RI meet - LOL. I'm dying to see it too !!