Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed For Exhaust!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
For example, here is the NC statute (talk about being void for vagueness):

§ 20‑128. Exhaust system and emissions control devices.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler, or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, annoying smoke and smoke screens.

(b) It shall be unlawful to use a "muffler cut‑out" on any motor vehicle upon a highway.

(c) No motor vehicle registered in this State that was manufactured after model year 1967 shall be operated in this State unless it is equipped with emissions control devices that were installed on the vehicle at the time the vehicle was manufactured and these devices are properly connected.

Originally Posted by anx1300c
So you think if all 50 states implement a similar law, it automatically becomes a federal law? That's not how it works and I never mentioned any federal law, but I pretty much guarantee if you pick 5 states off the top of your head and look hard enough, you'll find laws prohibiting exhaust tampering.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
So this is an example of how antiquated legislation has trouble keeping up with technology advances. Back in the day, cars had one muffler. So you couldn't bypass it, else you'd be in violation of this statute. Now, cars have 2, 3, 4 mufflers if you count resonators. The legislature probably never contemplated that you could bypass a muffler on a car (such as with a straight pipe), and still have all exhaust fumes still going through at least one other muffler.

If I were the prosecutor, I'd be making the argument you posed.

If I were defending, I'd say he was operating the car with at least one muffler (two in fact) and all fumes were going through those mufflers, so he is not in violation.

So herein lies the ambiguity in the verbage: I guarantee the judge would consider a straightpipe, run in lieu of a mid muffler to be a "bypass".
Old 05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So herein lies the ambiguity in the verbage: I guarantee the judge would consider a straightpipe, run in lieu of a mid muffler to be a "bypass".
A bypass of what? The emissions system? I think not. That is what that statute is for.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ambiguity = easiest way to beat the law... fight fight fight... let us know how it goes...

in nyc... as rodney stated prior... $25 summons, if you show a shop invoice saying what was done to the car post ticket you get it dismissed... I used to get the invoices easy from local shop
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
The Darker the berry....

I like how people say "just pay the $200" like it's nothing... Cops and courts love you guys.. Fuck that!! Guilty or not, ALWAYS fight tickets. Worst-case scenario, you'll pay the full fine, but you'll probably get a reduction just for showing up. In Long Island, NY, at traffic court they instantly try to plea bargain with you, unless your record is really crappy.

In any case, don't most states use a specific decibel level to determine whether a vehicle is too loud? In NYC I think it's 95db. Did the cop measure you? Did he look under your car to see if anything was modified? Check the decibel limit in your state, then measure your car. If you are above the limit, put your stock exhaust back on (or "borrow a friend's), get it measured again and take that evidence to court. This really sounds like a BS ticket, you should be able to at least get a reduction. Don't just give in... FIGHT THE POWER
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Is your car catless? If I were a cop id ticket you for going catless- no reason to pull it out IMO. Its straight up bad for the environment.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIFVR
Is your car catless? If I were a cop id ticket you for going catless- no reason to pull it out IMO. Its straight up bad for the environment.

1. How would you know? It's not like the cop know the TL has 3 cats and crawled under the car to look for 'em.

2. The OP stated that he had passed State Emissions Testing the week before getting the ticket, so cat-less or not, he's not polluting enough to ring the bell.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
1. How would you know? It's not like the cop know the TL has 3 cats and crawled under the car to look for 'em.

2. The OP stated that he had passed State Emissions Testing the week before getting the ticket, so cat-less or not, he's not polluting enough to ring the bell.
Im glad to hear that!

There are definitely cops out there that check that kind of thing, believe me.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
O2 Sims is all it used to take.... but that doesnt guarantee a pass for a visual inspection
Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that exhaust isnt much louder than mine, if at all... only thing is, i have a printout from tanabe's site saying that its tested to be legal at all decibels when installed properly.

the only major difference between a $100 catback and a $800 system is a piece of paper that says its legal. same reason why people pay big bucks for ct headers when the xs unit isnt much different, other than cost. but again the xs headers arent legal.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/medalionhyper.asp
i printing that page out, and recently got out of a ticket when i showed it to the cop. he didnt argue either... just let me know that i will probably get pulled over again because of the exhaust. but as long as i have the paper, im ok.