Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed For Exhaust!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ticketed For Exhaust!?

this morning while heading to work, i was pulled over by the Henderson Police Dept. I was ticketed for my exhaust. the ticket said "Modified Muffler". wtf?! i have a straight pipe from the cat, and 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers. it's not all that loud, but it is noisy. he said it's not legal and i got a ticket for $200. wtf?!

supposedly i shouldn't be able to be heard from more than 90 ft or something. but the cop was tailing me for like 2 miles.. so he was never 90 ft away. idk the laws out here in nevada. but i do know thats a bogus ticket!

anyone have any info for me? like the laws for vegas exhausts or whatever. i was told if i got it fixed, the ticket COULD be waived, but nothing certain. bullshit.

should i plea guilty or not guilty? i'm feelin like NOT guilty, cause i'm obviously not guilty of anything.

help?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Racer

Technically where I'm from you can get ticketed for having any exhaust in a larger diameter than the vehicle came stock with. Don't hear of many people getting tickets, sounds like your cop is a dickhead.

My other car is a v8 with about 2X the stock diamter the entire way and louder mufflers and I've never had problems.

Probably a good idea to always fight a ticket, can't hurt.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ricgrrarrow
I was ticketed for my exhaust. the ticket said "Modified Muffler"

i have a straight pipe from the cat, and 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers. it's not all that loud, but it is noisy.

i'm feelin like NOT guilty, cause i'm obviously not guilty of anything.
Well if he cited you for modified muffler then you are obviously guilty for modified muffler by your statement above.

If you plead not guilty in court, you will be found guilty by the judge.

Did the officer check the "yes" or "no" box on the ticket? That will determin whether it is a fix it ticket or not.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by * *
Well if he cited you for modified muffler then you are obviously guilty for modified muffler by your statement above.

If you plead not guilty in court, you will be found guilty by the judge.

Did the officer check the "yes" or "no" box on the ticket? That will determin whether it is a fix it ticket or not.
yes or no what?

well i'm saying i'm not guilty cause one of my coworkers has a mustang gt 5.0 and it's clearly louder than mine. and mine is more of a mumble not a rumble.

i don't mine paying the $200 ticket, but i just don't wanna pay for something that's bogus.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Technically, you are in violation of NRS 484.611, since you've altered the stock exhaust by removing the resonator and mid muffler. You won't win this fight in court. Not much you can really do but pay the fine and look into adding a resonator; that'll likely prevent any future hassles.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-484.html
Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

yes or no what?

well i'm saying i'm not guilty cause one of my coworkers has a mustang gt 5.0 and it's clearly louder than mine. and mine is more of a mumble not a rumble.

i don't mine paying the $200 ticket, but i just don't wanna pay for something that's bogus.
Your logic cracks me up.

(Please don't approach the judge with that line of reasoning)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Technically, you are in violation of NRS 484.611, since you've altered the stock exhaust by removing the resonator and mid muffler. You won't win this fight in court. Not much you can really do but pay the fine and look into adding a resonator; that'll likely prevent any future hassles.

what if i added a resonator before my court date? haha think it'd be possible to win?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Your logic cracks me up.

(Please don't approach the judge with that line of reasoning)
i'm just saying. he cut out his cat, and has true dual one chamber exhaust that are loud as hell. i mean, his car idling is louder than mine when i revv it!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

i'm feelin like NOT guilty, cause i'm obviously not guilty of anything.

help?
I always find these kind of comments amusing. The law breaker NEVER thinks he is breaking the law. If it sounds like a race car (i.e too freaking LOUD) then the law SHOULD give you a ticket. Just remember that driving is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT.

You shoudl just "fix it" and get it signed off on by a local shop capable fo doing the work and signing off. That may take away your "noise toy" but would resolve the issue.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Have A Nice Day!!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'de fight it bro ! you would be surprise for all the crap i get tickted and most of my summones and fines get dismissed...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

i'm just saying. he cut out his cat, and has true dual one chamber exhaust that are loud as hell. i mean, his car idling is louder than mine when i revv it!
But your friend has nothing to do with YOU being in violation of the Nevada Vehicle and Traffic Law.. That's like someone who murders someone saying they're not guilty because OJ got away with it.

You could try adding the resonator and taking it to the local police station. If they feel it's quiet enough, they'll sign off on it.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Have A Nice Day!!!

I got a summones once for having limo tints on my car so I photoshop my car without tints and took it court as proof that i had removed the tints and the judge dismissed the case ! so just photoshop your car with the stock exhaust , i doubt it if the judge is gonna step out the court room to see it.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

But your friend has nothing to do with YOU being in violation of the Nevada Vehicle and Traffic Law.. That's like someone who murders someone saying they're not guilty because OJ got away with it.

You could try adding the resonator and taking it to the local police station. If they feel it's quiet enough, they'll sign off on it.
true words right there. i just think the cop was being a dickmouth. no, i KNOW IT. henderson police here are complete dickheads.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by nasty188
I got a summones once for having limo tints on my car so I photoshop my car without tints and took it court as proof that i had removed the tints and the judge dismissed the case ! so just photoshop your car with the stock exhaust , i doubt it if the judge is gonna step out the court room to see it.
my exhaust looks stock already, i used the old tips, so it looks stock.

but in the event some officer or something does go out to my car, then what? that'd be a dumb move on my part.

i'll sleep on it, idk what i wanna do. haha i do know i wanna kick that cop in the jaw, but that wouldn't solve anything! just get me in more trouble haha
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Racer

Always worth fighting the ticket, especially over something like that.

Locally if you fight a ticket, and the cop doesnt show it gets thrown out. Worth just trying that and if the guy shows up you just plead guilty.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Agent0r
Always worth fighting the ticket, especially over something like that.

Locally if you fight a ticket, and the cop doesnt show it gets thrown out. Worth just trying that and if the guy shows up you just plead guilty.
i swear, that cop KNOWS me and wants to get me all the time. haha he was the same cop to warn me for my out of state tags that were about to expire. and he warned me for going 47 mph in a 45 mph, and he warned me for not having a front plate (after i registered it locally). i just honestly don't wanna get a mount for the front plate.

its the SAME dickhead of a cop. so im guessing he finally got sick of seeing my TL , and wanted to pin me for something!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Look at your local laws and state laws. If there isn't any laws governing get it dismissed.

If there are laws, but they are subjective (like can hear from 90ft away) then fight it. Can hear from 90ft away doesnt pass the common sense test because my level of hearing is not necessarily as good or bad as the next persons.

If the law is So many decibels at such and such distance, and this guy can't prove he measured it, fight it.

Exhaust laws are unfair. For the most part enforcement is subjective and at the discretion of the ticketing officer. They need to quantify what is and isnt legal.

I recommend looking at the SEMA Action Network, and pushing their legislative position on exhaust noise to your local congressman.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Look at your local laws and state laws. If there isn't any laws governing get it dismissed.

If there are laws, but they are subjective (like can hear from 90ft away) then fight it. Can hear from 90ft away doesnt pass the common sense test because my level of hearing is not necessarily as good or bad as the next persons.

If the law is So many decibels at such and such distance, and this guy can't prove he measured it, fight it.

Exhaust laws are unfair. For the most part enforcement is subjective and at the discretion of the ticketing officer. They need to quantify what is and isnt legal.

I recommend looking at the SEMA Action Network, and pushing their legislative position on exhaust noise to your local congressman.
uhh english? haha

so you're saying i should try to fight it? cause my mufflers are 50 states legal.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Have A Nice Day!!!

Damn! He really does have it out for you , get him a box of donuts or something
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I already posted a link earlier in the thread. It's in plain english that removing mufflers is in violation, which the OP did.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

i'm just gonna ask one of my buddy's neighbors about it. he's an officer in Las Vegas. maybe he can shed some light here. i'll see if it's worth the fight, or just plead guilty. haha
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
05 TL

How?
1.1 Still there... Rule and regulation (kinda open ended) emissions (noise).
1.2 N/A. Just removed the third muffler.
2. N/A

If it were illegal, how could shops sell them? I think the cop is after you. And also the 5.0 fact... Don't say that.

NRS 484.611 Mufflers: Prevention of emissions.

1. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent emissions greater than those allowed by rules and regulations established by the Department. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1208; A 1971, 921)
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Originally Posted by Kracker
How?
2. N/A

If it were illegal, how could shops sell them? I think the cop is after you. And also the 5.0 fact... Don't say that.

1. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent emissions greater than those allowed by rules and regulations established by the Department. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

Exactly what I was going to post. 484.611 states you must have a muffler in working order and not bypassed.

By my estimation he has two mufflers.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Kracker
How?
2. N/A

so are you justifying that i can fight it?

i quote the citation "Violation 484.611-1. Description Modified Muffler. Posted speed 35 mph, actual speed 34mph. cited speed n/a. To Wit: Operating a motor vehicle on public road with modified muffler --excessive noise. bail amount 130. admin assessment 77 -- total 207."

*edit!*

and yes, i was BELOW speed limit. haha
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

my exhaust is a straight pipe from the cat, and 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
is any part of that illegal? haha
Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

No because 484.611 is about emissions. Polution NOT noise.

484.6101 is about noise and it's in legal-speak.

NRS 484.6101 Standards and regulations for noise emission; compliance

Edit - nevermind. I didn't see they cited you with 484.611-1. The cited you for the wrong thing.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

No because 484.611 is about emissions. Polution NOT noise.

484.6101 is about noise and it's in legal-speak.
so..... what's that saying?

am i in violation of noise polution?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
that cop just hates u
im suprise he drive with the window down to hear your exhaust...maybe he hates acura in general lol
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly what I was going to post. 484.611 states you must have a muffler in working order and not bypassed.

By my estimation he has two mufflers.
But it also states "no person shall use a muffler cutout or bypass etc." which he did. IF he was written for violation of 484.611, he would be in violation. Technically, it's illegal in every state to alter factory exhaust in any way.

OP:Look at the ticket. There should be a section for the violation which the cop has to fill in. What does it read??

edit: I see now you already posted it. Not much you can do here, but try quieting it down and getting it signed off on.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Originally Posted by sifuacura
that cop just hates u
im suprise he drive with the window down to hear your exhaust...maybe he hates acura in general lol
either acura, or ME! haha most likely me.

i'm stereotyped as a "unruly teen with an expensive car. probably spoiled, and is just wreckless"

but in reality, i'm not too unruly , i'm far from spoiled , and i'm a safe driver.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

But it also states "no person shall use a muffler cutout or bypass etc." which he did. IF he was written for violation of 484.611, he would be in violation. Technically, it's illegal in every state to alter factory exhaust in any way.

OP:Look at the ticket. There should be a section for the violation which the cop has to fill in. What does it read??
i already stated the violation -- "Operating a motor vehicle on public road with modified muffler --excessive noise"

what would classify as a cutout or bypass? (sorry noob question)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

i already stated the violation -- "Operating a motor vehicle on public road with modified muffler --excessive noise"

what would classify as a cutout or bypass? (sorry noob question)
Straightpipe for the mid muffler and resonator. It is illegal to modify stock exhaust in all 50 states.....technically. If it's a relatively tame aftermarket exhaust, there isn't much to worry about though.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

Straightpipe for the mid muffler and resonator. It is illegal to modify stock exhaust in all 50 states.....technically. If it's a relatively tame aftermarket exhaust, there isn't much to worry about though.
ugh dude i swear this whole citation is bullshit haha idk, i have untill the end of june to decide my plea, and to decide if i should put a resonator.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

ugh dude i swear this whole citation is bullshit haha idk, i have untill the end of june to decide my plea, and to decide if i should put a resonator.
I think we need a soundclip!

And I also think this cop has it out for you. Is he a rookie?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

a soundclip of my exhaust?

i have a vid on youtube!

but idk if this cop is a rook, but he for sure is out for me. haha

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MLIoJtoY8
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
That shit loud!!! But could also be echo too
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
B16 Swapped TL

edit: I see now you already posted it. Not much you can do here, but try quieting it down and getting it signed off on.
He is not using a cut out or a muffler bypass. He still has two mufflers.

It is against federal to tamper with an vehicle emissions system, however a muffler is just for noise.

If there is a federal law that makes it illegal to modify the way a vehicle sounds by means other than removing emissions equipment, I would sure like to see it.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

He is not using a cut out or a muffler bypass. He still has two mufflers.

It is against federal to tamper with an vehicle emissions system, however a muffler is just for noise.

If there is a federal law that makes it illegal to modify the way a vehicle sounds by means other than removing emissions equipment, I would sure like to see it.

so what are you saying? my exhaust ISNT illegal?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Cruisin'

You dont listen very well, no wonder he gave you a ticket. He was prob going to let you off with a warning and then u asked him all these stupid questions and u pissed him off. Your exhaust is modified.. that is it, no if's and's or but's. No matter which way you ask the question, what language you ask it in, your exhaust is modified. I can't explain it any clearer to you. If you want to look like a jack ass in front of a bunch of strangers in court, then go ahead and fight it.

All I am doing is explaining the ticket to you, not wether I thing the officer was right or wrong or an ass for writing you the ticket.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
didn't read everything people wrote yet, but get yourself a handheld digital still-picture/video camera... have someone stand on a block and pass by doing 30mph... in cruise control... then do it outside of cruise control... plead not guilty and bring the camera with you, the video is evidence of the decible levels

ps. dicebel meter on ebay is way under 200... use it... anything bellow 95db is definitely not that loud, you'd also want to get the decibel reading on video so that it can be presented as evidence

Quick Reply: Ticketed For Exhaust!?