Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for tint while traveling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
OoO new mexico has the lowest legal tint law!
texas is right behind with 25% all around
Actually that would be Florida for coverage. 28 F 15 sides and rear.
But I have never heard of anyone in NM getting a tint ticket. Just like in Florida.
I frequent both states and most people have 5% all around with no problems.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
I got pulled over in Iowa and yes I have TN registered plates and drivers license. Honestly though I hate to say it but I would say I did get profiled. I was heading back to TN outside of Mason City, IA. Trooper was going in the opposite direction on 2 lane highway each side. Now I should have gotten a ticket for speeding as I was going roughly 73-75mph in a 65mph marked area. My first reaction was " shit he got me for speeding". I slow down like any driver would do, I keep looking in the mirror for flashing lights. Now most troopers/local police will flash you as soon as they clock you ( in my cases they have anyways) this wasnt the case. So the trooper catches up to me and rides on my blind spot for a good 2 or 3 minutes before flashing me. He didnt give me the usual speel "do you know why i pulled you over" . He flat out said "I pulled you over because your tint looks too dark". He measured 14% with his tint meter. I have 20% all around except windshield. I know as far as TN laws go im not legal in TN. I probably wont fight the ticket as it would cost me more to go back to Iowa(about 11 hr drive from where i got pulled over). Cost of tint ticket $130, now i would say im happy to get a tint ticket over a speeding ticket. I just wanted to know if it was legal to be pulled over outside of the home state.

I might just start driving with the sunroof open next time out of state to let more light into the car lol
Iowa has tough tint laws and they enforce them even tougher.
My dad was on sheriffs dept there before we moved to NM.

It is your responisibility to know 'other' states laws you plan on going through when travelling outside of your home state.

I hope you get out of it but unfortunately I do not think they will budge.

I just paid a 200.00 fine to Iowa in order to renew my license from an accident I had in 2004. They sent me a letter and said that myself or "ANY" car with my name on the registration could not be driven on Iowa roadways. If caught it would result in jail time and loss of license.

It was all because my insurance didn't provide proof of insurance to the state even though my insurance covered the other car and I had proof of insurance to show the state cop at time of incident.

I refused to pay it even though I was born in Iowa. That didn't work. I had to pay it because a couple years ago all 50 states starting sharing DL info. So if you have an unpaid anything in another state it will affect your license renewal in your current state or if you try to move and license in another state.

I would say pay the ticket and move on with life.

Also when I lived in East TN I got a tint ticket and I believe it was 175.00. It was cheaper for me to strip tint and get ticket cleared and re-tint car. Lucky for me my buddy had a 91 accord just like mine with different color interior. I drove that, asked a county sheriff to check my car. He looked out the window said is that your car. I said yeah. He said ok and signed off on the ticket.

Last edited by sauceja; 09-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I also agree it's BS and sucks. I also agree that even though you're from a different state you shouldn't have to know other states laws on tint or anything else of that matter. But like sauceja said, it actually is your responsibility to know other state's laws if you're going to be traveling through them. Over here on the east coast, I believe it's Virgina, you are not allowed to use radar detectors. Though they are legal to use in pretty much every state, in this one it's not. Of course everyone wouldn't know that and yes it would suck to be caught and ticketed for one even if you were from out of state. But I'm sure everyone has heard the saying "ignorance is no excuse for the law".

Best of luck trying to fight the ticket though and I hope you win.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Ah yes good ole Iowa tint enforcement. Strict on any percentage tint you have since as you see 70% is the limit which is basically factory tint.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by The Machine
.... like sauceja said, it actually is your responsibility to know other state's laws if you're going to be traveling through them. .... But I'm sure everyone has heard the saying "ignorance is no excuse for the law".

Best of luck trying to fight the ticket though and I hope you win.

You're correct that ignorance of the law is no excuse. But this is different, imho. This has to do with reciprocity.

No one can be expected to remove and/or replace tint as they travel from state-to-state. It's an unreasonable burden. Like the license plate analogy - you can't be expected to carry around an extra plate to put on when you enter a state where a front plate is required.

Some things, like lighting, signals, etc are standardized, at least in part, by Federal requirements.

But there are others, like tint, front plate and inspection/fee/tax stickers that vary state-by-state and I see no realistic way that one state can say, "Sorry, we don't accept your states regulation on this .... here's your ticket .... have a nice day .... ".

From a practical standpoint it just wouldn't work. So, that leads me to believe there must be some form of reciprocity on these things.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I live in CA and I got a ticket a few years back for tint violation. My ticket was just a fixing ticket, which is $10. All I had to do was remove my tint on the driver and passenger side, take it to the local CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer to sign it off, then take the take to court and pay the $10. In CA, you can't have nothing on windshield, driver, and passenger side but you can go as dark as you want on all other windows.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You're correct that ignorance of the law is no excuse. But this is different, imho. This has to do with reciprocity.

No one can be expected to remove and/or replace tint as they travel from state-to-state. It's an unreasonable burden. Like the license plate analogy - you can't be expected to carry around an extra plate to put on when you enter a state where a front plate is required.

Some things, like lighting, signals, etc are standardized, at least in part, by Federal requirements.

But there are others, like tint, front plate and inspection/fee/tax stickers that vary state-by-state and I see no realistic way that one state can say, "Sorry, we don't accept your states regulation on this .... here's your ticket .... have a nice day .... ".

From a practical standpoint it just wouldn't work. So, that leads me to believe there must be some form of reciprocity on these things.
I totally agree with you. It is definitely an unreasonable request for an out of state traveler to adhear to other states laws especially when the removal of certain things is required. It's not like tint is just peel it off and stick it back on. And that license plate thing is just crazy! It all boils down to you being an out of state traveler and cops just wanting to break your balls for any easy ticket. I understand laws need to be enforced, but certain things like this police need to be a little more lenient on.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
For the most part window tint laws are b.s. and just a source of revenue for the municipalities, the same goes with front license plates.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

100% Agreed and well put. Your state regulated laws on things like tint/lighting/etc. do not apply to a car registered with/under another state. I'd fight it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 705 Likes on 538 Posts
I'm with Bearcat on this one..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't feel like reading everyones responses on here I got through the first page and I want to clear some things up.

You can't get a ticket for not having a front tag IF YOUR STATE DOESN'T REQUIRE IT. You can't get a ticket for not displaying an inspection sticker/city sticker or any thing of that matter IF YOUR STATE DOESN'T REQUIRE IT. If they do and you are out of state by all means a cop can ticket you for not having what you are required to have. ie if you have an expired state inspection sticker for VA and are parked in philly you CAN and WILL get a ticket. It is BS but it is legal for them to do it.

If you are within the tint limits of your state and are passing through another state you can NOT get a ticket. If you are illegal in both said states you CAN get a ticket. You are still breaking the law. How that doesn't make sense to some of you I don't know. This would be a completely different story if OP was within his own legal limit for tint but he is not. With his tint he is actually illegal in every state minus the ones that don't regulate tint at all. So yes he knows he was wrong and he has stated that but for the others saying fight it. You will lose. You have to be legal in your state to be able to get out of it or remove the tint and prove it which involves going to court or getting a state cop (from the state you got the ticket) to sign off on it and most states don't allow that to happen. I know in VA it would have to be the cop that issues the ticket to sign off or go to court. That is your only two options.

So cliffnotes
if you are illegal in your home state you can expect a ticket in any state,
If you are LEGAL in your home state you should not get a ticket in any other state.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would def fight it and here is why..depending on how Iowa enters the ticket into the sytem and if it shows up on your record it could cause you insurance to go up..I havent had any moving violations tickets in over 15 years, the only tickets i had as of last year were 4 tint tickets, one of which showed up on my record as faulty or unsafe equipment. I tried explaining to the insurance company what it was and i was told that there was nothing they could do because of the way the state entered it in their system.

The last tint ticket i received the highway patrol officer(VA douchebaags) made me tear my tint off right there and then or else he was going to inpound my car. Lucky for me its a coupe so i only had to remove it off the front doors, but they went right back on the same day..I know it sounds deceitful but just take a pic of a similar car with no tint and show it to the judge theyll dismiss it, f*ck it and the hell with the cops who give out those tickets.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
Actually that would be Florida for coverage. 28 F 15 sides and rear.
But I have never heard of anyone in NM getting a tint ticket. Just like in Florida.
I frequent both states and most people have 5% all around with no problems.
So true. I've NEVER had a tint ticket for ANY car I've owned or been in. My last car had 10% and a friend had 5% all around and then went ahead an added a 2nd layer of tint that was 15%. So 5%-15% is the norm. Plus we can have all our windows tinted except the windshield. If someone gets pulled over all they have to do is roll all the windows down. Cops just want to see if the car smells funny or any weapons or anything illegal. I love dark tint, but I think 15-20% would be perfect for then next vehicle.

OP sorry about your lame ticket, I still don't think the cop should've ticketed you for his state's tintlaws when they don't apply to you (out of state). Whether your illegal in your state also, that's for your local PD to handle.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmizu
Tint tickets in Hawaii is the most ridiculous thing ever! 297 per window that breaks the violation with a 32% limit and all for what? Nothing it's as especially when the cop that pulled you over has 5% windows! Negligence is the quickest way out and it hasn't failed me yet. Fighting the ticket would still be admitting you were wrong, by admitting you were wrong would mean you admit that you deserve the ticket.
Fighting the ticket does not admit guilt, you are fighting it because you believe you weren't guilty...