3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on value of TL type S 6mt going forward?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 07:56 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Sorry, but "not stock; tasteful mods" equates to reduced desirability and resale value.
That's not always the case..

The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
jeffstlnote (04-30-2022), Pair of TLs (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 08:14 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
It is for many, myself included; to me the only truly "tasteful mod" is better tires (and some wheels as well), and given most middle of the road 2022 vintage All-Season tires have better performance than most high end Summer tires from 2007, that "tasteful mod" is virtually a given. Start mucking around with the suspension, exhaust, intake, and whatever else folks often do, and to me, the car falls to "project car" status with a dubious history, and as such, the desirability and value of the car drops significantly.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
Jim2301 (04-30-2022), Legend2TL (05-04-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by MilanoRedDashR
dont get me wrong, I love this car, and I wanted to keep it for a really long time (and I still might) but the navigation went out, the stupid clock issue a lot of us are dealing with, I just think if I want a Honda to keep around for a long time, I might be better off finding an old GSR or something with less technology, to be honest. I just don’t want to sell it and then see the value of the tls go crazy in 10 years lol
Navi went out, you can install a tablet or do an ipad mini in place of the factory screen with factory looks and full of modern function. Or you just send the drive out and have Alpine repair it.

As far as the GSR you mentioned in about 5 years you cant even find part for it, this is an issue for Legend and NA1 NSX community are now facing.

Sorry, but "not stock; tasteful mods" equates to reduced desirability and resale value.
Originally Posted by jeffstlnote
Depends on what the buyer is looking for no? I as well have done some mods here and there, because quite frankly have no desire to sell the 6mt. I have however kept every stock part that I may have changed, therefore returning back would take a day.
It is for many, myself included; to me the only truly "tasteful mod" is better tires (and some wheels as well), and given most middle of the road 2022 vintage All-Season tires have better performance than most high end Summer tires from 2007, that "tasteful mod" is virtually a given. Start mucking around with the suspension, exhaust, intake, and whatever else folks often do, and to me, the car falls to "project car" status with a dubious history, and as such, the desirability and value of the car drops significantly.
This argument could go either way and here is my take on that.

I only buy modded car if the owner can show all the receipts that accounting for all the nuts and bolts that currently "bolt on" the vehicle. If you are fall into these type of owner I then I don't think selling the car quickly is your 1st concern.

On the other hand I am not buying a modded car if it has CAI that god know how long its been there. Or K&N drop in filter listed as "mods" yes those type of people exist as well, I am running away from this deal real quick.
The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
04WDPSeDaN (04-30-2022), nist7 (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
I know it's been brought up numerous times, but I wish we had some concrete numbers as far as just how many 6MT 07-08 Type S's were made...I would guess whatever that number is probably cut down 50% due to cars being totaled, or crazy high miles? I paid $10.5 for my 08 with 118,3xx which now has 120,4xx and yes I've had some mods done, and we know the market right now yada yada, I just think it's gone up in value...
The following 2 users liked this post by jeffstlnote:
04WDPSeDaN (04-30-2022), nist7 (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 01:26 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Navi went out, you can install a tablet or do an ipad mini in place of the factory screen with factory looks and full of modern function. Or you just send the drive out and have Alpine repair it.

As far as the GSR you mentioned in about 5 years you cant even find part for it, this is an issue for Legend and NA1 NSX community are now facing.

This argument could go either way and here is my take on that.

I only buy modded car if the owner can show all the receipts that accounting for all the nuts and bolts that currently "bolt on" the vehicle. If you are fall into these type of owner I then I don't think selling the car quickly is your 1st concern.

On the other hand I am not buying a modded car if it has CAI that god know how long its been there. Or K&N drop in filter listed as "mods" yes those type of people exist as well, I am running away from this deal real quick.
You're right about this topic can be an all day debated. The market has changed very much. Most paying top dollar for clean example of any vehicle are enthusiasts. Enthusiasts do modify their vehicles. All of them? perhaps not all but a good majority of them.

The truth of the matter is, you can do it right, wrong or extreme when it comes to modifying a vehicle. All on the owners personal preference.

I've seen low mileage, pristine condition vehicles sell for a lot of money.
I've seen modified vehicles (highly sought after) sell for a lot of money.

If you see a pristine condition 3rd gen TL for sale and it has some modifications (clean and well done) would you pass it up for one that is stock and neglected? Likely not.

Let's face it, obtaining OEM parts on a lot of these older vehicles isn't easy anymore. I know 1st hand as I can't find some parts new. So if you have no choice but to use aftermarket, then why not? Especially if the quality is better.

Like I said, this topic can go on and on and on forever.

I know it's been brought up numerous times, but I wish we had some concrete numbers as far as just how many 6MT 07-08 Type S's were made...I would guess whatever that number is probably cut down 50% due to cars being totaled, or crazy high miles? I paid $10.5 for my 08 with 118,3xx which now has 120,4xx and yes I've had some mods done, and we know the market right now yada yada, I just think it's gone up in value...

Yes, they have.

I'm still confident a few clean, low mileage 3rd gen TL's will sell high.

This 2004, in less than ideal condition, but low mileage & 6MT still did well. Almost sold for 14K..
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9ld...65wRemb1dcFLO0

If it had less body damage, paint in better condition, possibly a few more options like Navigation and the A-spec package, it could have sold for higher. Maybe 16K?

I had another offer for my TL. Great for the year but not enough to actually consider letting go. We are in sellers market, things are at an all time high. Many understand this, yet some still are price bashing. Truth is, everything has a price. There is someone willing to pay that price.

I don't understand why anyone would want to de-value their own vehicle..

The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
jeffstlnote (04-30-2022), nist7 (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Pro

I had another offer for my TL. Great for the year but not enough to actually consider letting go. We are in sellers market, things are at an all time high. Many understand this, yet some still are price bashing. Truth is, everything has a price. There is someone willing to pay that price.

I don't understand why anyone would want to de-value their own vehicle..

I honestly can't even wrap my head around a number that would get your interest, that speaks volumes... AND it's modded
Old 04-30-2022, 02:14 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I honestly can't even wrap my head around a number that would get your interest, that speaks volumes... AND it's modded

Thanks Jeff.

I have a rough number in mind that I'd consider letting go of my TL. I may list it in two years once it's hit 20 years old on bring a trailer or cars and bids. Honestly, I'd like to be the 1st to break the record for these vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (05-01-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:38 PM
Pro

Thanks Jeff.

I have a rough number in mind that I'd consider letting go of my TL. I may list it in two years once it's hit 20 years old on bring a trailer or cars and bids. Honestly, I'd like to be the 1st to break the record for these vehicles.
As far as I know, I guess the bar is set here?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3oe...cura-tl-type-s

I saw the car you mentioned - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9ldGWka5/2004-acura-tl and think after seeing this one - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4q...cura-tl-type-s just spend the extra $2,800. That's just me though...
04WDPSeDaN (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 04:30 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I saw the car you mentioned - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9ldGWka5/2004-acura-tl and think after seeing this one - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4q...cura-tl-type-s just spend the extra $2,800. That's just me though...

I'm a bit disappointed with the silver TL-S numbers. Very clean and 6MT. Should have sold for more, IMO.
truonghthe (05-02-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 09:30 AM
Pro

Agreed my friend, I would of set a reserve of $18k
truonghthe (05-02-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Yup. IIRC, a few years ago I remember a thread in 3G that were discussing numbers of 3G TLs produced. Some public numbers are available overall but not to the level of how many of 3G TL-S MTs...and we even tried to figure what of each color since KBP was one of the more sought after colors....and I think someone actually contacted Acura corporate and flat out asked them and the response from Acura/Honda was that the specific production number breakdown of TL-S MTs and by color were proprietary information and so it will never be known publically....
Old 05-02-2022, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts

Wow, that TL-S was clean, I just hope it goes to someone that will appreciate it an not ruin it…

Regarding the price it sold for, I went through a range of thoughts and emotions, starting with “that’s too little”. After my initial reaction, I thought, why does it matter. For me, personally, if it sold for double that, I still wouldn’t sell mine. I really love driving it, it’s been very reliable and I need a car for my wife or I to drive around and even at 2x that selling price, Considering the crazy car prices now, I can’t think of a car I would rather have that would be as reliable, fun to drive and reasonable to maintain. I mean, yes, it would be nice if it was worth more for a trade in, sure, and if the TL was the “extra” car, or we were looking to change it up, there would be a good case for letting it go, it’s just not the position we are in.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Imagine what became of the Acura Integra. This will be similar for the TL. The "TL, RL, TSX, RSX" 2004-2008 Era will be fondly looked after by many, as at that time, Acura released some of its best designed product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Racer:
Midnight Mystery (05-04-2022), Pair of TLs (05-03-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with the silver TL-S numbers. Very clean and 6MT. Should have sold for more, IMO.
yeah I don’t think that will be the norm… they are worth a lot more than what that one Happened to go for imo
Old 05-04-2022, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
I guess I never saw the iPad mini install set up?

I saw the android tablet Tesla style setup and sticks out of the dash so the trim doesn’t fit right, which turned me off..
Old 05-04-2022, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MilanoRedDashR
I guess I never saw the iPad mini install set up?

I saw the android tablet Tesla style setup and sticks out of the dash so the trim doesn’t fit right, which turned me off..
Ive got a tesla screen that witch flush with the interior. Though it was removed as I prefer period correct parts.
Midnight Mystery (05-04-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
In general I agree, there are outliers like resto-mod's and off-roading Jeeps where mod's are appreciated. Also depends on the person, but many (most?) prefer stock cars.

Tires are certainly OK in my opinion and tasteful wheels are also OK. As to the other mod's if they were from the manufacturer or a reputable vendor (i.e. Koni, Eibach,...), if the seller has all the OEM parts when selling that makes a big difference. Here's a couple mod's that do add value like Porsche 996 IMS aftermarket bearing mod's, and getting rid of TRX metric wheels on some 80's cars that came with them. Mods are in the eyes of the beholder, but don't expect them to necessarily increase the value of the car and may as you say decrease the value.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-09-2022 at 12:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
horseshoez (05-09-2022), Midnight Mystery (05-09-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Pro

Just saw this pop up....

https://iconiccoach.com/inventory/vi...-Sdn-MT-Type-S
Old 11-30-2022, 07:20 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Looks like it's free with the listed price of $0 My 08 has fewer miles than that one been trying to decide if it makes sense to sell mine.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:59 PM
Pro

My 08 has just a tad more than that one (I'm at 120,020) and doesn't have a cracked dash like that one either, Evidently they just got the vehicle so I''ll be curious the see what they list it for. With them not listing a price makes me think THEY think they are sitting on a goldmine, but who knows...
Old 11-30-2022, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 503 Likes on 281 Posts
nice, looks like mine just not as clean on the inside. $0 isn’t a bad price, even I can afford that. I might stop by the bank tomorrow and offer them a crisp $20 for it.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 562 Likes on 358 Posts
Look at what this 6 speed sold for and it's not in good condition.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KP7ekV6q/2004-acura-tl
The following 2 users liked this post by Curious3GTL:
jeffstlnote (12-01-2022), Midnight Mystery (12-01-2022)