For those who successfully fixed the rear deck rattle issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004 | 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

For those who successfully fixed the rear deck rattle issue

I know there are many threads re: rear deck rattle. I hear distinct "clicking" or "metal hitting something" type of noise coming from the rear deck area. This has nothing to do with the radio base and only happens when I drive on not so perfect road (but I hear it almost every 10 sec. as I do a lot of city driving).

A couple of days ago, someone here posted the below phrase taken from the dealer receipt:

"APPLY EPT TO DECK LID AND ADJUST TRUNK SPRINGS - HITTING SPEAKER - 848099 1.2 030-01"

I wish I can fix this on my own, but I am not sure if I can. I just know that a couple of dealers I go to will do more harm than good.

I would appreciate any success stories.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ar+deck+rattle
Old 07-04-2004 | 12:20 AM
an Acura has-been

Originally Posted by Novice
I know there are many threads re: rear deck rattle. I hear distinct "clicking" or "metal hitting something" type of noise coming from the rear deck area. This has nothing to do with the radio base and only happens when I drive on not so perfect road (but I hear it almost every 10 sec. as I do a lot of city driving).

A couple of days ago, someone here posted the below phrase taken from the dealer receipt:

"APPLY EPT TO DECK LID AND ADJUST TRUNK SPRINGS - HITTING SPEAKER - 848099 1.2 030-01"

I wish I can fix this on my own, but I am not sure if I can. I just know that a couple of dealers I go to will do more harm than good.

I would appreciate any success stories.

Some of us stuffed some foam at the base of the rear window where it met the deck, it seemed to hit the rear window causing it to click or vibrate (mostly on bass), but yours may be this.

There was a thread on this back in November or October, easy to do with thin foam strips and a plastic nife or puddy knife to push it in between the two. Might be a first step in diagnosing the problem.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2004 | 03:54 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I don't know where your sound is coming from, but mine came from the middle seat's seatbelt assembly. They had to put some foam tape around it so it stopped making that metallic sound, but it sure was a bitch for the techs to find!
Old 07-04-2004 | 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your replies. It seems like the metal rattle noise is coming from either middle or right side (right behind the driver side seat) of the back seat.

Lore: Did they have to take the back seat off the car?
Old 07-04-2004 | 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, by the way, when someone sits in the back seat with the seat belt strapped on, I don't hear this rattle anymore. So, it must be something related to the seat belt stuff.
Old 07-04-2004 | 06:20 PM
Instructor

I have the same sound to. Seat belt or rear deck not sure but gets annoying.
Old 07-05-2004 | 02:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by need4spd
Some of us stuffed some foam at the base of the rear window where it met the deck, it seemed to hit the rear window causing it to click or vibrate (mostly on bass), but yours may be this.

There was a thread on this back in November or October, easy to do with thin foam strips and a plastic nife or puddy knife to push it in between the two. Might be a first step in diagnosing the problem.

Good luck!
I think I have the same problem. When I have music that has alot of bass on, the rear deck buzzes. Now When I have the music up and I get in the back seat and push down on the rear deck where the window meets the deck, the sound seems to deaden.

I'm going to point this out to my dealer when I visit them about this problem on the 14th of this month.

Keep me posted on this need4spd!
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

I just made a post, before reading this thread, about this problem on my 03 tl-s . dealer determined the problem was the third brake light. they ordered replacement which should be installed in a week or so. I'll let everyone know if this fixed the problem. I think it may be seat belt retractor rattle, but we'll see.
Old 07-10-2004 | 02:45 PM
Black

have you guys tried playing with the FRONT PASSENGER side seatbelt?

I found that mine hits the b-pillar, and when I place it facing upward (instead of hanging downward) against the passenger seat, the rattle goes away.