3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermoblock install Threading Stripped NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Thermoblock install Threading Stripped NEED HELP!!!

First of all please initially only respond on this if you have expert advice to provide. I know this sucks, but let us get a resolution and then you can post your comments.

Ok guys, I've been installing the CAI and Thermoblok spacers while doing the DIY video. We ran into a snag. Basically Outlaw engineering put an incorrect bolt into the kit and we didn't catch it during the install. I'll posts some pics below.

The incorrect bolt was part of the kit to bolt the intake manifold to the block. We were torquing the bolts and one didn't really tighten at all and just kept turning. We pulled it out and there was aluminum around the threads!!! Turns out the supplied bolt was shorter than the rest and stripped out the first 2 or 3 threads.

Now the problem is determining if
1. it is going to require being drilled out and tapped (including the hole on the intake manifold
2. get another bolt that is the same length and hope there is enough threading to hold properly when torqued.
3. Get another bolt that is slightly longer as there is some extra space to thread down and allow the additional threading to hold the torqued pressure.

Here are pics of the threads on the block compared to one that is not stripped. I'll post pics of the shorter bolt as well as the proper bolt going through the intake manifold with the spacers on so you can see the length I'm working with.

Pic of stripped threading:

Pic of non-stripped threading:

I'll be taking a couple more pics so I'll be back in a little bit. If you have expert advice to give and you need to talk to me over the phone, pm me and I'll give you my number.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Check out this acura service news, the time-sert things look like they could be exactly what you need, that's all i can offer for advice as i don't know much beyond that.
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B061200.PDF
Old 06-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Starcraft II addict

Oh btw, I know moral of story is double check all hardware. Deeds been done, need the correct fix.

Here are the pics of the bolts from outlaw engineering showing the shorter one:

Here is a pic showing the proper and short bolts going through the intake manifold. Hopefully this will give you an idea if the "proper" length bolt will still work or not with the stripping that has happended.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Starcraft II addict

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Check out this acura service news, the time-sert things look like they could be exactly what you need, that's all i can offer for advice as i don't know much beyond that.
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B061200.PDF
Thanks for the reply, that's definitely an option to consider. Just puts my car out of commission for a while. Which it will most likely be anyway.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
jsut installed mine on my 2nd gen tl like a hour ago, Sorry to hear about the bolt bro,
Old 06-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Starcraft II addict

For now we found an initial solution to try. Our basic assumption is that right now drill and tap is the final option. So we are going to try the longer bolt route. We tried 3 hardware stores and Ace hardware came through again. The Kit bolts are M8 lenth of 70mm and pitch of 1.25. I bought the same M8 bolts (grade 8) in 75mm and 80mm. I then put on the spacers and manifold and tighted by hand the 2 longer bolts onto the manifold without washers to see if they would thread all the way down. The 75mm did, but the 80 did not. Hence I will be using the 75mm bolt with the washer. The worst that happens on install is that I strip more threads which still leaves me at the drill/tap option anyway.

Later on I'll be looking into how much to replace the rail. Oh yeah and Outlaw Engineering will be hearing from me on Monday.

Please those that are looking at getting the thermoblok spacers, don't take this thread as a bad review. I still very much want the spacers installed, I just ran into bad luck with the hardware.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You may also try a heli coil- like when a spark plug hole is stripped
You have to drill the hole larger then glue in a threaded insert
Old 06-16-2007, 06:01 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Buda, your longer bolt will probably be fine... That's not a load bearing bolt, and you only tighten it to 18 ft lbs I think. If you get it tight enough, leave it alone.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Starcraft II addict

I got the bolt in and it seems fine. However the problems don't end there. One of the bolts on the plenum snapped in half during the install. Now we have to go get an extractor set from the store and work on it tomorrow. Hopefully we can find a bolt to replace it.

I didn't know the bolt was broken until when I turned on the car and started it up. It squealed like a mofo. My friend pushed down on the plenum and the squealing improved. I started checking the bolts and then the one just fell right off. I was like WTF! Like my day hasn't gone bad enough already. Looks like my car is out of commission till tomorrow at the earliest.

I'm gonna go see Fantastic 4 and fantasize over Jessica Alba for a while.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
man you are having all sort of bad luck. Did you snap the bolt outlaw supplies? Because those things are thick...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Starcraft II addict

No the bolt that snapped was the EOM chrome plated bolts that are visible on the very top. They are quite fragile. The torque wrench didn't even brake over yet when I had stopped as I thought it was tight enough.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
I got the bolt in and it seems fine. However the problems don't end there. One of the bolts on the plenum snapped in half during the install. Now we have to go get an extractor set from the store and work on it tomorrow. Hopefully we can find a bolt to replace it.

I didn't know the bolt was broken until when I turned on the car and started it up. It squealed like a mofo. My friend pushed down on the plenum and the squealing improved. I started checking the bolts and then the one just fell right off. I was like WTF! Like my day hasn't gone bad enough already. Looks like my car is out of commission till tomorrow at the earliest.

I'm gonna go see Fantastic 4 and fantasize over Jessica Alba for a while.
Jessica looks like shit for the second half of the movie (like make-up prob or skin condition type shit), and the movie looks like shit, well, for most of it! Hahahahaha....

Glad you got it straight, at least for now. But I still want you to answer my PM on it after you go drink or wank your misfortunes away!! Hahahahaha!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 09:08 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
No the bolt that snapped was the EOM chrome plated bolts that are visible on the very top. They are quite fragile. The torque wrench didn't even brake over yet when I had stopped as I thought it was tight enough.

When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Starcraft II addict

The torque wrench is brand new. Only used 1 other time. Just bought it in May.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Starcraft II addict

Ok guys, I need some more help here. Got the replacement bolt and no more air leak in the plenum. However now there is a new problem. I let the engine run for about 15 min before trying to go anywhere. Toward the end of the 15 minutes it was acting like the mixture was to rich. I decided to drive it real quick. It jumps off fast as the idle is a little strong. However that's it. I can't even go above 20 mph. I can floor it and nothing happens.

Anyone have any advice. Again if you have good advice to give on what to check pm me and I'll give you my number. I'll try to check in every 10 to 20 minutes to see if anyone has responded.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Starcraft II addict

We may have figured it out. Doing another ECU reset. Found a connection that wasn't put back on.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Starcraft II addict

Just wanted to give an update. All is good now. I'll post more later on to recap what happened so others can benefit from it.

Right now I have to head to open gym to throw some girls around.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
pics?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Starcraft II addict

Of the cold air intake or the girls?

I'll post pics of the intake tonight. It's been a busy weekend and I'm swamped today with meetings at work.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
ha....

I DUNNO
Old 06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Yeah I snapped two of those chrome bolts with my torque wrench too, they are very fragile
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Starcraft II addict

Ok guys, I finally have a moment to breath. I woke up this morning with a migraine headache and then work was really busy.

Here is a recap/lessons learned from the install.

1. Check all hardware before installing. That incorrect bolt length on mine which caused the threads to strip on the air port for the fuel injectors did not put me in a good mood. Luckily we found a 75mm length bolt (the correct kit bolt is 70mm long) and that was long enough to get more threads for support but did not bottom out (even without a washer).
The specs on the bolts for the intake manifold in the kit are M8 x 70mm length x 1.25 pitch

2. Be very careful about the bolts on the intake plenum. Those things are fragile. I recommend buying a few extra bolts from the hardware store in advance just in case they break. I had to go to the store to get an easy out to remove the broken bolt. The specs on the plenum bolts are M6 x 18mm length x 1.00 pitch. Ace had 16mm and 20mm, both fit however I used the 16mm. The holes in the plenum are only about 3/8" thick and a 16mm bolt still has a lot of space to thread down past that.

3. Double check all the connections on the intake manifold and throttle body to ensure you didn't forget anything. This is especially the case when more than one person is working on the install. It is very easy to miss something if you assumed someone else connected it.

That's my main advice. Realistically the install is easy and just takes some patience. My problems were related to hardware and a missed connection. I would still do the install again myself.

As for the pics that were requested. I have posted them at the end of my car thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...08#post1766308

Lusid, I even put up a pic of a girl just for you.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Starcraft II addict

I just sent Outlaw Engineering an email about what happened with the incorrect hardware. I'll let you all know what the outcome is of that.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Starcraft II addict

Ok, Shawn (or Sean?) from outlaw engineering just called me and we had a good chat.

First of all, I'll give Kudos to him by saying that he is very knowledgeable and was prepared for our conversation. He had already looked into the issue I had and discovered the problem. It turns out his bolt vendor had put some incorrect bolts into one of the bins. After receiving my email they checked out that bin and discovered 7 more bolts of the incorrect size. Luckily (for everyone else) the package I received was the only kit that was put together using the bolts from that bin. Another bin with the proper bolts was still in use for the other kits. He said he will be having a chat with his supplier.

Shawn is sending me a new set of bolts to use. Their new bolts have a flange under the hex head eliminating the need for the washers. This will give a little more room to thread down more.

He has also recommended using the helicoil inserts (M8 with 1.25 pitch). I'll either do that this weekend or when I get the new bolts in.

Just wanted to give everyone an update with the response with the problems that I encountered and that the support and response from Outlaw Engineering is top notch.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I agree with using helicoils for the most secure fit.

Ask Sean for some new gaskets ~comped~ so you can do the job right and not worry about leaks!! Least they can do for alerting them to big prob!

Humans make mistakes, and at least you helped them catch it
before many others went thru the ordeal.

Thanks for figuring it out for the rest of us!