Test drove the New TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003 | 06:04 PM
Comptech Freak

Thumbs up Test drove the New TL

got an exclusive offer from my dealership a couple weeks ago, and i got the test drive the new TL this week!!!

the one i tested was the 5AT with NAVI package...it's soooo sweet

i took 10 min to get to know the NAVI system b4 i could driving out the lot!!! it's kinda complicated and has too many features to use~ very complicated~

the new car feels even more solid, quieter than the old one, but the performance has stayed about the same...

maybe the engine was too new and raw, so i couldn't feel it was fast when i took on the hwy...my 225hp TL has about the same acceleratoin from 60-100mph...

but i was impressed with the braking and cornering with the new car...it's sooo much better tahn the old one~

however i found the steering is a bit too light thou, and don't have much road feel~ that's the only compliant~

anyways..it was a very very gd car, and i am already looking at it as my next ride, but since my 02 TL is still looks brand new and only have 18000 miles with it, i am going to keep it for another 2-3 yrs more~

the salesman encourage me to wait for a yr or 2, coz the demand is very high now, not much room for discount and stuff...

i like the car very much, but i think i am gonna wait~

btw...the NAVI is well worth da money, but some ppl like me would find it too complicated to use...and u won't need to use that much when u drive around~ it's ok to save the money of NAVI for a set of 18in wheels~
Old 11-02-2003 | 07:05 PM
Pro

I have to say that compared to my 2000 TL the power feels significantly greater. I think that the 0-60 times will be much better than the previous gen. premium model.
Old 11-02-2003 | 08:42 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by TorontoTL
I have to say that compared to my 2000 TL the power feels significantly greater. I think that the 0-60 times will be much better than the previous gen. premium model.
i agree with u, in town driving the acceleration is amazing...

but on hwy they are about the same, i gave full throttle on 3rd at 100km and it took about the same time to 160km comparing with my 225hp TL~

maybe the engine is too new~
Old 11-02-2003 | 08:47 PM
Pro

I bet the engine wasn't broken in. I haven't really given it much power on my new car, but on the test drive the car had noticably more power than my old 2000 even at highway speeds.
Old 11-03-2003 | 09:58 AM
Banned

I finished my 6spd's break in last week. I can happily say that this car is much faster than my previous TL-S. It is also much faster than the new auto. The stick exploits the engine to a ridiculous point. The auto is no slouch but believe me the 6spd is just simply a monster. While the auto is a master of smooth the 6 is a growling snarl with a ferocious bite. It is very strong down low and only gets stronger as it revs, the biggest problem is running into the rev limiter. At redline the engine shows no strain and it feels like it could go much higher. Bar none this by far the most powerful and fun FWD in the market. And I can attest that you would have to spend significantly more (M's, AMG's) to get any more performance from a RWD.
Old 11-03-2003 | 03:06 PM
Advanced

vtechbrain,how are you making the determination that your 6spd is much faster than the 5spd tl ?Did you race a 5spd auto or objectively quantify your thoughts by actually clocking your car?The 5spd auto that I drove shifted appropriately when I was driving hard to keep the car in the power band and away from the low revs where the lack of torque is apparent.Nothing personal,but your post reminds me of these people who get a kn filter and claim what a huge improvement that it made.
Old 11-03-2003 | 03:28 PM
Racer

clutch feel

Hi, read your message about the 6 speed, I was wondering if you could comment on the clutch feel from 1st to 2nd gear, is it a jerky motion.? I own all stick shifts and have no problem with shifting but I have read about 1st and 2nd shifting issues with the 04 TL. I have not driven the car yet as they have not become avaiable in my area ..
As far your comments of rev limiter , sounds like your
wasting alot of gas the peak touque is way below peak rev's.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2003 | 05:17 PM
Banned

As a matter of fact I have cloked both By handheld stopwatch. The auto pulled 7 0-60 the the 6sp 6seconds flat. Not exactly a 6th wheel but close enough. What is it Kw? Is the green eyed monster biting you that hard? poor soul!!!
Zexi, The matter is this car builds revs so quickly in second you hit the limiter in a heart beat. The other thing is that 60 is almost exactly at redline in second. Remember this is a honda there is no jerkiness anywhere in this transmission (after you get used to the layout). There is no problem with tourque it hits like a hammer around 3000 and never lets go. This engine behaves like an old fashion Vtec it simply keeps getting more furious as the revs rise (HP effect). Contrary to the fours it has low end tourque to go along with it. To get a sweeter engine you have to get an NSX, oops what am I saying, this issss basically the same engine!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2003 | 06:33 PM
Racer

So we have 0-60 in 6 sec flat. It is just a little bit better tha 6.2 sec that auto TL-S was capable off. Slower that 540/6 (5.5sec) and has nothing to do with M(4.6-4.8) or AMG (4.2) cars.
Old 11-03-2003 | 07:57 PM
Racer

Thanks , Vtechbrain, I am feeling a little easier about the shift from 1st to 2nd. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision its a lot of money ( for me anyways) .
I can't wait to drive one. They are just not around yet in my area.

Just waiting toi pull the trigger on a :
Pearl white/ quartz 6 speed Nav 35% tint , Kaiser custom Spade Wheels, Faulkin tires .:tflamer: