3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove the 2004TL, then the dealer drops her "oops" bomb.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove the 2004TL, then the dealer drops her "oops" bomb.

So I go out and test-drive the 04 TL last night. It was the Blue (don't remember the BS name they’re using for Dark Blue, you the Enchanted Gnome Pants Blue) with Camel interior.

Overall I was impressed. This is my second car through this dealer and sales lady. On Thursday, she called me and gave me my lease numbers, seeing as I am a Honda Finance preferred\loyalty guy now. I get a better (re: sharper dildo up the jacksee) rate.

I was happy enough with the numbers and agreed to come in and test drive.

One of the first things that worried me is when I reached back in to the backseat to pull down the rear armrest and it came out in my hand. :wow: The rod was not in the passenger side holder so when I pulled it down it tilted, then I tried to put it back into position and could not get it lined up, at all, like it was before I touched it. Eventually it just came of completely. There was a lot of dirt on the fabric covering the drivers side A-pillar. But overall I was happy with the car.

Now the test drive for my CL lasted maybe 5 minutes. This time I was going to make sure I spent a few more minutes testing the car out. We were out for about 30 minutes. I put about, 15 miles on the car. (it had 70 when I got in it) The other 15 minutes was in the lot checking out, getting used to the new stuff and the location of the controls. A number of times she made reference to the fact that we'd been out a while. EXCUSE ME!

So we sat down to work out the details. I want Black and Ebony and Navi. And they won't have one in until late November. So Mrs. Dog breaks out the check book to throw some money on that one coming in, when the sales lady excuses herself and goes out to finalize (mumble, mumble, mumble) She comes back and says. I'm sorry I made a mistake on the numbers I gave you on Thursday. (Of course :roll: ) I was calculating using 57% instead of the 55% I should be, that makes your Out of Pocket $600 more.
She's sorry about the mistake.

You know, after she left my wife and I, she sat in the business manager’s office for a while, and then she comes out and drops this bomb. I wonder if they felt that I wasted too much of her time and therefore she felt like being compensated, or if they planned this "bait and switch" the whole time.

Either way, I made her put in writing that I can get my reserve money back, and told her I'll talk to her later.

Any suggestions?

The problem we have here in Detroit... Everyone and their brother knows someone who works for the big three and gets huge discounts. So the 3 Acura Dealers in all of Metro Detroit have a captive audience. They can do what they want. I think there is even some sort of collusion going on.

Well looks like I'll be spending most of my day on the phone, which means my work will suffer. But hey, that's the American way.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:44 AM
4th Gear

Rock Dog - Name the dealer that jacked you around. CarGuy/MI
Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Racer

Yes, tell her that because she made a mistake in the residual values (my dealer did the same thing since the navi cars are 2% less) that you expect them to discount the sale price appropriately to compensate for the error. They have nearly 3k in profit on this car so bumping $600 off the sticker should not be an issue, if it is shop them.

Call other dealers within 100 miles and tell them your local dealer has offered you $600 off MSRP but you are not fond of them and would prefer to do business somewhere else. Ask if they will match the deal. More then likely you can get the money off somewhere. If you get the money off at another dealer then go back to the local dealer and tell them you have the discount at another dealer and expect them to match it, if not take the other deal.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:23 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Oldman. Acura of Troy. That's who pulled this little move.

I bought my current 01 CL-S from them, and took it "slightly" in the but then.

I'm not one of those people who go into the dealer with "I know what you're paying, I know the residual, I know the car is made by Garden Gnomes on Guam, therefore I should get a better deal" They have to make money, they have children to feed, mortgages and so on. So I don't try to hammer them to hell. I sure wouldn't like it if my clients did it to me all the time. But... Be straight with me, lie and cheat me, and the dog will bite.

This really steamed me. She's got me and the wife sitting there. Mrs Dog is excited about the car, I wish they had a CL in this style. But what the hell, we have two kids, and a 4 door would certainly make things easier.

But like I said, maybe it was the fact that I took an hour of her time. Maybe it was the fact that we didn't leave the dealership until after 9:30 (9:00 is closing) and the business manager was feeling like I owed him for staying late. Or maybe is was the fact that they most likely would not see the car for service, due to the fact that theiur new (at the time) service manager, told me that my failed transmission was the fault of the extra HP and LB/FT torque that caused my transmission failure at 28,000 miles. And they figure "well if he's not bringing it here for service, we're going to make up those visits up front.

When I got the CL-S. I took it there for every oil change, and everything else, until after the tranny failure and the treatment this putz of a SM gave me over it. He really should go back to the Chevy, or Dodge dealership he came from. He's just not equiped for a better type of clientele.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by chadr
Yes, tell her that because she made a mistake in the residual values (my dealer did the same thing since the navi cars are 2% less) that you expect them to discount the sale price appropriately to compensate for the error. They have nearly 3k in profit on this car so bumping $600 off the sticker should not be an issue, if it is shop them.

Why are navi cars 2% less? That sucks. That adds up to a lot of money to lease one with navi. Do you think it's worth it?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Racer

Yeah it does add up to a fair bit over time. As far as being worth it, I love the Nav system so to me yes it is, to other perhaps not. As to why, I was told (true or not) that it is because the nav systems improve so rapidly that a 3 or so year old nav system is very dated compared to the current crop and can actually lower the value of the car.

As far as lower the value of the car, not sure I buy that but I do see the dated issue. If you look at 3 year old nav systems they are terrible compared to modern stuff.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Steveb
Why are navi cars 2% less? That sucks. That adds up to a lot of money to lease one with navi. Do you think it's worth it?
Apparently, navi only adds about $400 resale. The residual on the navi is improved from last year.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:24 PM
4th Gear

Rock Dog - See Nancy Giovannini @ Jeffery Acura in Roseville @ 586-285-3043. Tell her the Oldman sent you. Jeffery is 40 miles from my home, but they treat me very well!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:10 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Where are you located Oldman? 40 miles Jeffery is about 10 miles from me.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:16 AM
4th Gear

Rock Dog - I live in Oxford and work in Detroit @ CPWR
Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

you live in Detroit,,, thought you had to by a FORDchevyDodge" there.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:39 PM
4th Gear

I'm reminded of the Motorcity/Big 3 sentiment when I strategically park my Honda and Acura products and still manage to get a door ding. Thanks to Dent Wizard, I keep them straight!!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Rock Dog

But like I said, maybe it was the fact that I took an hour of her time. Maybe it was the fact that we didn't leave the dealership until after 9:30 (9:00 is closing) and the business manager was feeling like I owed him for staying late. Or maybe is was the fact that they most likely would not see the car for service, due to the fact that theiur new (at the time) service manager, told me that my failed transmission was the fault of the extra HP and LB/FT torque that caused my transmission failure at 28,000 miles. And they figure "well if he's not bringing it here for service, we're going to make up those visits up front.

When I got the CL-S. I took it there for every oil change, and everything else, until after the tranny failure and the treatment this putz of a SM gave me over it. He really should go back to the Chevy, or Dodge dealership he came from. He's just not equiped for a better type of clientele.
Your kidding, right? Charge you another $600 because of the 'time you took'. That's their damn job! Does she make $600 an hour?

And after the CL-S crap, I'm really not sure why you want another Acura at all...especially with parts coming off in your hand.

Don't just walk out of that place...but RUN!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Fender and Oldman.

Yes, owning one of the big 3 products is almost a birthright in this town, considering a very large percentage of the population works for the Big 3 or a Tier1 supplier directly or knows someone that does.

But believe me, the pressure can be even worse when you work for one of the BIG 3 as I do. :p Not only do I have to park my Acura out in the back, back, back parking lots (the closer lots are reserved for our products, competative vehicles get to park way out in the mud and debris ) But you have to check your car daily for someone who may have walked by and given it a kick.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by fender4
you live in Detroit,,, thought you had to by a FORDchevyDodge" there.
Cleveland is much the same. Most people buy American products here. My neighbor works for GM. I don't worry about my Acura being stolen because most thieves are more interested in the late 80's Olds Cutlass Supremes, the most stolen car here.

I consider the TL an "American" product as both the new and old gens were designed and built in the U.S. with mostly American parts. And if you really thing about it, Chrysler is not American anymore, being owned by the Germans.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I saw this topic title a few days ago and thought the sales rep dropped a bomb -- ie, a BAD FART as you were test driving the car! haha, I'm glad I read the thread all the way through.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

OLDMAN! I'm trying to get ahold of you. Accept PMs or Emails or something.

Email me at tag5@comcast.net
Old 10-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Racer

hey rockdog, have you tried suburban acura, they treat me great, never had a problem there, i actually bought my 2000 tl-p at acura of troy, because i was able to get 1000 dollars off of sticker price, but i always service my car at suburban acura!!
I live in farmington hills and they are about 4 miles from me!!