Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my TL to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking my TL to Canada

Next week I'll be taking a trip fom New Jersey up to Toronto. I was playing around with my Navigation and Toronto seemed to be on the map along with other areas of Canada. My question is, does that mean I will not have to change my navigation settings Canada? Will it have all the addresses if I don't change it? Also another question (if any canadians could help me out here) i read that radar detectors are illegal to have up there. I have a Valentine one and don't know if I should risk taking it on the trip. According to websites if it is in your car at all, even if it's not in use they can confiscate it and it's a $1000 fine, not to mention a $400 radar detector. Can they really detect it if it's not in use. Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your nav system should work fine in parts of Canada. The maps for the Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor corridor are good, and I think they are okay for Vancouver, but I don't know about the other provinces. I do know that they won't be any good north of highway 7 in Ontario, and they are no good in most towns and villages. I don't think you have to adjust any nav settings...I don't when I go to the USA.

Radar is illegal in Ontario, for certain. I go out occasionally with a traffic patrol cop on ridealongs and he often turns his gun on just to see whose brake lights go on. That earns a fine and the radar is confiscated. I believe he mentioned another piece of equipment which is more sophisticated at detecting radar, but I don't think it will detect radar which is turned off. Nevertheless, it is illegal just to have it in your car, I think, even if it is not in use.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just the thread I am looking for...

I have a similar situation - I am planning to visit Niagara Falls, entering Canada through Detroit and exiting in Buffalo. I would assume Navi is good through Ontario (the London and Hamilton areas and then on to Niagara Falls)? I also have a radar detector but it is just a cheap Cobra one. It is good to know that the Canadian police are a little more strict with their radar detector laws...

What do they use to detect radar detectors? My detector detects a signal called VG-2 which I believe is a radar that detects radar detectors. The Cobra detector that I have also claims it is undetectable by the VG-2 radar...

One other question... What should I expect at the borders? As US Citizen, what do I need to get into and out of the country? I've heard post 9-11 that border patrol is a little more strict with documentation. Can I just use Valid Drivers License and Certified copy of Birth Certificate? Also, would the border patrol be on the lookout for Radar Detectors? Mine is just stuck right in the windshield - in plain view.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

My navi has worked fine in London and on the major roads around there, but if you get off the beaten path in rural areas you'll find that the maps vanish and you end up leaving bread crumbs on lesser trevelled roads outside if the cities. I think it should be fine around Hamilton and Niagara Falls, at least on the major roads.

I would not take the chance of leaving the radar on your dash, even if it is turned off. I can't say if they would look for that at the border, but if a cop sees it, you will most likely lose it, whether you are using it or not. It appears to be strictly enforced around here.

To cross the border, a driver's lic and photo ID used to be sufficient, and I think still are. Maybe someone with recent experience can confirm this. I use a passport, which seems to expedite things and may soon become mandatory.

I don't know exactly what type of equipment they use to detect radar, other than their radar gun and an eye for brake lights. I imagine the OPP around Toronto would be equipped with the latest technology...I think I have heard that the 401 highway there is the most travelled in North America.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Hey guys, i think i can help you out with your concerns here. I go to school in windsor and travel to toronto frequently as that is where my family lives. To answer about the navi it will work seamlessy through all of ontario, all your functions will work without any trouble. All the address searchs and stuff will work flawlessly just as my canadian TL works stateside. to 401 is supposedly the most travelled highway in the world, havent seen the research myself but thats what everyone says.

As for crossing in windsor, the ambassador bridge is the busiest border crossing between the US and Canada so expect it to be a little slow this upcomming weekend because it is a long one for us canucks to too sure about you guys. However because this border is used to such volume it will still be a lesser wait than in niagra, i hear sometimes the wait can be up to an hour there. As for ID the US customs lets us in with a drivers license and birth certificate, however passports speed things up a notch, comming here is no different, bring your license and birth certificate and your good to go.

Radar dectors leave em at home guys, the opp can detect them and they will be looking for them, save yourself the dector and the fine just leave it in the garage. If your crossing in windsor i'll tell you right now, the 401 has a good flow feel free to drive as you normally do. THe only time where i would do near the speed limit is through chatham kent region that section of road is littered with OPP there under almost ever overpass and they dont fuck around. they are known as the most ruthless cops in ontario they'll give a ticket for doing 20 over the limit which is pretty rare here, when i drive through there i just use the cruise control to avoid the worry of a ticket.

Other than that welcome to Canada, and have a great weekend!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Advanced

your navi will work just fine up here in Toronto and YES it will work north of highway 7. I was up in Haliburton a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. I live in Richmond Hill and everything works perfectly.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Hey guys, i think i can help you out with your concerns here. I go to school in windsor and travel to toronto frequently as that is where my family lives. To answer about the navi it will work seamlessy through all of ontario, all your functions will work without any trouble. All the address searchs and stuff will work flawlessly just as my canadian TL works stateside. to 401 is supposedly the most travelled highway in the world, havent seen the research myself but thats what everyone says.

As for crossing in windsor, the ambassador bridge is the busiest border crossing between the US and Canada so expect it to be a little slow this upcomming weekend because it is a long one for us canucks to too sure about you guys. However because this border is used to such volume it will still be a lesser wait than in niagra, i hear sometimes the wait can be up to an hour there. As for ID the US customs lets us in with a drivers license and birth certificate, however passports speed things up a notch, comming here is no different, bring your license and birth certificate and your good to go.

Radar dectors leave em at home guys, the opp can detect them and they will be looking for them, save yourself the dector and the fine just leave it in the garage. If your crossing in windsor i'll tell you right now, the 401 has a good flow feel free to drive as you normally do. THe only time where i would do near the speed limit is through chatham kent region that section of road is littered with OPP there under almost ever overpass and they dont fuck around. they are known as the most ruthless cops in ontario they'll give a ticket for doing 20 over the limit which is pretty rare here, when i drive through there i just use the cruise control to avoid the worry of a ticket.

Other than that welcome to Canada, and have a great weekend!
Thanks for the info Dougler!! One other thing... What is the weather situation like in those parts in early November? Do you typically get snow that early? If so, how much?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

Barry, you're right, the navi is okay for the more densely populated parts of southern Ontario, even some parts north of #7, unless you are in rural areas. It is likely fine for the trips under discussion in this thread, but if you head for the less travelled roads even around London the maps are not complete. And when you get to the more northern parts of the province, most roads just vanish. North Bay and Sudbury are just intersections of two highways with no street detail at all, as are most the towns along the Trans Canada highway #17 in Northern and Eastern Ontario. At least that has been my experience with an '05 version navi.

I don't want to belabour the point, but anyone planning a more extensive road trip to the less populated parts of Canada would be well-advised to have good road maps and not count on the navi.

Thundercluck, we hardly ever get snow before mid November and mid December is more likely. I'm in Ottawa and I put my winter tires on around mid-November, which is usually plenty early.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They can't detect the rd if it isn't on. Radar detector detectors work by measuring leaking from the rd's. If it isn't on it's just another piece of metal. I don't think they'll search your car for it. I'd use it up to the border and then just put it in my trunk.

You could post the question on http://www.radardetector.net/

Dave
Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Unofficial Goat

Thundercluck, in the last 2 years i've lived here i dont think there has been any accumualtion to speak of till around or after christmas. We might get the occasinal dump of snow but it's generally gone within a day or 2. However the further you travel up the 401 it usually gets worse between chatham and london they accumulate a good amount, toronto isnt usually too bad, i think it's cause its right on the lake it misses some of the storms, and from what i remember the niagra region can get it pretty hard sometimes, but usually in november southern ontario is more or less snow free!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Instructor

As far as the radar detector goes, I was thinking about just putting it in one of my bags or the glove box before I cross over into Canada. Will they search bags going through customs and if so can they take it away? Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Unofficial Goat

No they won't search you, unless your one suspicous looking person. Basically they'll check your ID, make sure you dont have a criminal record, ask you the reason for your visit and if you have anything to declare, being tobacco, booze, or weapons and if you dont have anything then your good to go. i take it you've never crossed a boder before, the procedure is pretty much the same going into any country.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Instructor

I have used my navi from Toronto thru Windsor no problem and even north of toronto there is service along most major routes. As far as the detector goes don't get caught with it in Ontario. If you are from out of province they will either confiscate it or make you run over it .
Old 08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Dougler
No they won't search you, unless your one suspicous looking person. Basically they'll check your ID, make sure you dont have a criminal record, ask you the reason for your visit and if you have anything to declare, being tobacco, booze, or weapons and if you dont have anything then your good to go. i take it you've never crossed a boder before, the procedure is pretty much the same going into any country.
Damn, I have to declare tobacco. I was planning on bringing back a few cartons, being cigs in NJ are not exactly cheap. Guess it would be better if I just quit, but that's besides the point. I don't think we'll be searched. My girlfriends son is going to hockey camp near Toronto so we'll have a kid with us and I'm not wearing sheets or a turbin. I'm going to get arrested for smuggling butts hahaha. Anyway, thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated
Old 08-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Unofficial Goat

well depends on how honest of a citizen you are, a little white lie concerning having a couple of cartons in the trunk isnt the end of the world, and depending on how long you are out of the country for you are entitled to a carton of smokes without paying duty on them. I think you might only have to be gone for 24 hours or something like that. Wow you must be a dedicated parent to drive your kid all the way from NJ for hockey camp, lucky kid theres some great camps in the Toronto area.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
9th Gear

u can bring one carton of smokes duty free

http://www.igldutyfree.com/English/CSTMSE.htm