3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAKE A LOOK !!!! I RUINED my TL !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TAKE A LOOK !!!! I RUINED my TL !!!

I attempted on clearing my headlights out ... i ran into 2 problems at the end I was wondering if someone could please help me, because i followed the DIY on this website...

1. right headlight won't fit correctly, (could have the oven made it bend somehow and have cause this ? ) as you can see, notice the huge gap and silicone... Im in the search for a new one, but hopefully someone can save me from the gap and fog.

2. i have an aspec kit, and at the end of the install, i had to brackets that i believe go on the side of the bumper but im not sure where?

[IMG][/IMG]

..........i know i sound really new to this, and its true because i am, the only think i've done to my car, is exhaust, short shifter, aspec underbody kit, rims....so basically nothing dealing with headlights and the OVEN !!!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the bracket goes inside the fender to hold the edge of the lip on the car. that happens to the light housing when they are overheated too much
Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice mod, that is a big improvement over stock.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichiganRich

lmfao
Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
did you push the lens all the way back into the base? I had to bake the headlight againt to get the lens to fit as tight as it did stock. I've done this twice and have had to do that both times. I imagine that if i didn't, the headlight would stick out like yours did.

Is that "fog" a heat burn from the oven?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
first of all, is that fog or is that melted plastic?

second, did you install the base of the headlight properly? is the base and the front cover put together correctly as well? make sure there are no gaps when you squeeze both parts together.

Which DIY did you use, there are several of them, some not as clear as others. I hope mine was clear.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by subinf
did you push the lens all the way back into the base? I had to bake the headlight againt to get the lens to fit as tight as it did stock. I've done this twice and have had to do that both times. I imagine that if i didn't, the headlight would stick out like yours did.

that is fog, i read that using a blow dryer will make it go away, will this really work ?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by subinf

thank you soo much !!! you saved me a right headlight thanks !!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
first of all, is that fog or is that melted plastic?

second, did you install the base of the headlight properly? is the base and the front cover put together correctly as well? make sure there are no gaps when you squeeze both parts together.

Which DIY did you use, there are several of them, some not as clear as others. I hope mine was clear.

i think imma get some clamps, as advised by a member.... because when i siliconed it .. but you think ill have a problem with the aftermarket silicone... being able to melt again...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 AM
B A N N E D

haha you funny... itd be nice if there wasnt a big gap and fog...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure they are sealed correctly or it will look like a high humidity greenhouse in those headlamps and you will end up taking them out again to re-seal. like subinf said, make sure your lense are slid into the grooves correctly and re-heat them to make a good seal.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Originally Posted by edlinnguyen
haha you funny... itd be nice if there wasnt a big gap and fog...

Let us know how you end up here .......... sorry you had to go through this. I like the clear look too but wayyyy too afraid to DIY.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:25 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Let us know how you end up here .......... sorry you had to go through this. I like the clear look too but wayyyy too afraid to DIY.

man i felt just as you did, but after running out of things to do to my TL.. i needed to give this a shot...i regret it soo far, but hopefully all the helpful tips from experienced members, will force me to change my mind..
Old 11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ding069
make sure they are sealed correctly or it will look like a high humidity greenhouse in those headlamps and you will end up taking them out again to re-seal. like subinf said, make sure your lense are slid into the grooves correctly and re-heat them to make a good seal.

so you're saying the "fog" will go away if i just simply heat again and reseal?...wouldn't i need to open up the whole thing and wipe away the fog at least?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
I wish you the best buddy - when it's done it looks hot!! If worse comes to worse you can always get a new headlight no ?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Pro

You just effed up BIG TIME. You just FUBARED your new TL, just screwed the pooch.

Just buy a new one and donate that effed up TL to the Salvation Army.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SteveP66
I wish you the best buddy - when it's done it looks hot!! If worse comes to worse you can always get a new headlight no ?

yea you're totally right, its not like the car is messed up as "acidhorse" was trying to imply... the car run greats and the interior is next to perfect... just the headlights need some fixing
Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Instructor

so you're saying the "fog" will go away if i just simply heat again and reseal?...wouldn't i need to open up the whole thing and wipe away the fog at least?
No... He's saying that if it's not sealed "air tight" it will fog up.

If it's already fogged up... you might have to take it apart again or... if you have a number of dry days and the existing fog goes away... then resealing could work.

Bottom line is that plastic is very unforgiving stuff, especially when it's designed and built to be assembled only once, never to be taken apart. The more times you pry it open... the worse it gets.

If it were me... I'd take my lumps and buy a new set.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Racer

yea you're totally right, its not like the car is messed up as "acidhorse" was trying to imply... the car run greats and the interior is next to perfect... just the headlights need some fixing
You've got guts to even attempt doing this. If I tried anything like this, it would be a disaster.

Have fun with your car and learn from your mistakes.

gurney
Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

if worse comes to worse , just get you some new headlights!, spend a few buck's and leave the install to the pro's and save yourself the aggrevation and headaches!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
You've got guts to even attempt doing this. If I tried anything like this, it would be a disaster.

gurney
Good advice ^

I had just about the same amount of guts, or should I say confidence, 29 years ago (30 in your case).

edlinnguyen...
God hates a coward... you'll get it squared away.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by FLBusa
No... He's saying that if it's not sealed "air tight" it will fog up.

If it's already fogged up... you might have to take it apart again or... if you have a number of dry days and the existing fog goes away... then resealing could work.

Bottom line is that plastic is very unforgiving stuff, especially when it's designed and built to be assembled only once, never to be taken apart. The more times you pry it open... the worse it gets.

If it were me... I'd take my lumps and buy a new set.

thanks man, i've been trying that lately...i put tape around it but its been so dang cold so i think the fog will take longer to go away...but yea imma try this sunday to fiz that whole headlight..using clamps and maybe even taking it apart...and maybe try the blowdryer or somthing to fix that fog... thanks for clearing it up though
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle

gurney

thanks man but it looks like its going to cost me at least 75 bucks to replace the left side and if i can't fix the right (the fogging and the gap) then its going to be another 75-100..not mentioning some silicone and spray paint (25-35 bucks)....

so it was an expensive mistake but hopefully it will help someone to avoid this
Old 11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 007TL-S
if worse comes to worse , just get you some new headlights!, spend a few buck's and leave the install to the pro's and save yourself the aggrevation and headaches!
really ? i thought some members mentioned that a lot of places if any would even attempt this on a 05 tl... but if i can find a shop in the seattle area then i'll do it if its not too expensive...because i think if i give this one more shot i'll be fine..i was just distracted and in a rush the first time an expensive mistake...but its ok
Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by FLBusa
Good advice ^

I had just about the same amount of guts, or should I say confidence, 29 years ago (30 in your case).

edlinnguyen...
God hates a coward... you'll get it squared away.

thanks man thats some really inspirational words... i really mean that.... thanks and i'll tackle this ..on sunday (probably take me the whole day... no rushing the this time around !!! thanks thought man !! i have no choice but fix it ...i'm not going to drive around like that...discrace to all TL's !!!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
The first time I re-installed my headlights, I had a gap just like yours. My problem was that I didn't bolt it on correctly. What I did was bolt the two top screws really tight, which pulled it up, then that caused it to get miss aligned. So I just loosened them, bolted in my other bolts and evenly I began to screw them in.

IF your problem is just lining it up, just play with it. If your housing is bent, well then its bent. It should be fine if you didn't bake over 225 degrees. I've baked my headlights twice and they didn't bent, melt, or anything. And like what others have stated, make sure the lens is fully intact, and the clips are cliped in.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
The first time I re-installed my headlights, I had a gap just like yours. My problem was that I didn't bolt it on correctly. What I did was bolt the two top screws really tight, which pulled it up, then that caused it to get miss aligned. So I just loosened them, bolted in my other bolts and evenly I began to screw them in.

IF your problem is just lining it up, just play with it. If your housing is bent, well then its bent. It should be fine if you didn't bake over 225 degrees. I've baked my headlights twice and they didn't bent, melt, or anything. And like what others have stated, make sure the lens is fully intact, and the clips are cliped in.

a gap just like mine !?!?!?! oh man am i glad to hear that you fixed it then !!!... man imma try this on sunday thanks !!! you saved me a good 100 bucks..thanks.. !!!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

really ? i thought some members mentioned that a lot of places if any would even attempt this on a 05 tl... but if i can find a shop in the seattle area then i'll do it if its not too expensive...because i think if i give this one more shot i'll be fine..i was just distracted and in a rush the first time an expensive mistake...but its ok
I checked every shop in my town, not one would attempt this...too much liability if it didn't work. I came across JnC on this board and he color matched a pair for me, in addition to adding ZKW lenses. They look real sweat, I'm having them installed (professionally) next Weds. The labor was $250 and I have to send him my headlights once the new ones are installed.

Have to give you credit for making a run at this mod...live and learn
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I checked every shop in my town, not one would attempt this...too much liability if it didn't work. I came across JnC on this board and he color matched a pair for me, in addition to adding ZKW lenses. They look real sweat, I'm having them installed (professionally) next Weds. The labor was $250 and I have to send him my headlights once the new ones are installed.

Have to give you credit for making a run at this mod...live and learn

tell me how it goes... im doing mine this sunday...by the nonprofessional himself, ME !!!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

Dude, your fine.. at least your HIDs would still work. Now even though my headlights came out okay from the clearing process, if I were to see one of my HIDs blow out.. then I'd call it a failed project.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by joe80055
Dude, your fine.. at least your HIDs would still work. Now even though my headlights came out okay from the clearing process, if I were to see one of my HIDs blow out.. then I'd call it a failed project.
Thanks man...makes me feel less stressed !!! you're right those ds2 are like 150-200 dollars
Old 12-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

please keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by enigmaos
please keep us posted.
will do will do.. i couldn't finish this project if it wasnt for you and the spare headlights you had on hand.. thanks !! :gheywave:
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

will do will do.. i couldn't finish this project if it wasnt for you and the spare headlights you had on hand.. thanks !! :gheywave:
thanks for the gay wave :gheylaugh:

can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:19 AM
B A N N E D

thanks for the gay wave :gheylaugh:

can't wait to see the finished product.

didn't you say you gets urs clacked out also...got any pics
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Opium den in

Cant wait till you need help on the forums...
Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Final
Cant wait till you need help on the forums...

is this a good thing or a bad...couldn't tell by your tone ?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

didn't you say you gets urs clacked out also...got any pics

here ya go (gloss black):

Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 AM
B A N N E D

here ya go (gloss black):

oh man that is beautiful... mine better come out like that ...with your headlights and my fixing that im doing today...
Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
enigmaos, what kinda turn signal bulbs do you have in there? I have 12 LED turn signals, but getting annoyed of the fast blink rate it creates, and too lazy to install a resistor

Quick Reply: TAKE A LOOK !!!! I RUINED my TL !!!