Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUCCESS!!! 04 Seat Cover Replaced With 05 Seat Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUCCESS!!! 04 Seat Cover Replaced With 05 Seat Cover

I've got great news. My dealer replaced the 04 seat covers on my TL with 05 seat covers. The installation looks good. I did not see any scratches around the seat, the leather is taut, and matches the rest of the seat. It was dark out so I couldn't take pics. I plan to take some tomorrow when it's sunny outside. I will also be going on a 12 hour drive this saturday and will take pics right after I reach my destination to show the impact of 12 hours of my butt. I will also take a pic of my invoice. I just need help finding a place to host them.

I realize this seat will still show some wear, but I think it's better than the 04 design. And it's nice to finally get some good customer service from Acura. I even told my dealer about a rattle in my steering column. Instead of rolling his eyes the way most service people do when you talk about rattles, he expressed interest and reminded me to come back after my trip to have it looked at. I've never had a better customer service experience.

The dealer is Superior Acura in Overland Park, Kansas.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Did they replace the passenger's side as well? The reason I ask is because the seats are different (two panel and three panel) and if a person looked close they could tell.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

That is absolutely fantastic customer service -- glad you were treated appropriately and that your dealer went the extra mile to make their customer happy.

You can host your image on http://acura-tl.hytekhosting.com.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Great news. Hope you continue to be happy. Keep all informed.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cqq99
Did they replace the passenger's side as well? The reason I ask is because the seats are different (two panel and three panel) and if a person looked close they could tell.
They replaced both the driver and front passenger seat covers. I inspected the covers before they installed them. There's no padding on them. It's just a cover so if the underlying padding is bad, the new cover won't change that.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Banned

Did they replace only the perforated leather portion of the seating area or did they also change the bottom side bolster, because mine are all wrinkled.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Racer

Great work keep us updated, by the time I need mien replacing hopefully more dealers will be doing this, I am sure by summer I will need it done.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what exactly is different?....like comparing the '05 seats to the '04 seats....
Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
what exactly is different?....like comparing the '05 seats to the '04 seats....
Here is a link to pics for an 05 seat...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104635

Here is a link to pics for an 04 seat...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=butt+prints

The 05 seat has three panels and the 04 has two panels.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Racer

I still think a qualified seemstress can just sew it before it gets real bad, add another sticth, cant be too hard, but who knows.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

TLover, the pad covers the entire seat bottom. It is a single piece that includes both the perforated portion and the side bolsters.

MrGQDieselNY, I asked the dealer about just letting a seamstress add a stitch and he strongly recommended against that.

One difference that I did notice is that on 05 models, the two panels stick up making it look they're humps on the seat. On mine, the two panels are flat. I'm not sure if that's better or worse. I can't imagine it being worse than what was there before. I guess I'm the guinea pig. I don't think I'll regret making this switch.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Racer

Pictures?????????????
Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HondaOnly
TLover, the pad covers the entire seat bottom. It is a single piece that includes both the perforated portion and the side bolsters.

MrGQDieselNY, I asked the dealer about just letting a seamstress add a stitch and he strongly recommended against that.

One difference that I did notice is that on 05 models, the two panels stick up making it look they're humps on the seat. On mine, the two panels are flat. I'm not sure if that's better or worse. I can't imagine it being worse than what was there before. I guess I'm the guinea pig. I don't think I'll regret making this switch.
There is a thin layer of foam underneath the perforated leather section. I think this also has to do with butt prints.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
someone posted a link tho a pic would be nice
Old 12-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Instructor

I just got my car back from Motorcars Acura on Tuesday. I had a bunch on complaints, including the "butt print" issue. When I took the car in, the service manager, looked at it for 5 seconds, and told the advisor, "Yeah, take care of that." So they replaced both front seat covers and added a little extra padding.

The one warning he gave me was if it happens a second time, we will have to go through Acura to get it resolved. There would be nothing more than the dealership can/will do.

Hopefully the fix will work out long term. I only have 6000 miles on the car atm.

Hopefully Acura will do something widespread about it.

miiipilot
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Wow, that struck me as being kind of suprising, Glad they took care of you.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Slacker

Old 12-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
someone posted a link tho a pic would be nice

Are you looking for pictures of the new install or general pictures of the 2004 and 2005 seats. I posted links above in this string of general seat pics.

HondaOnly do you have pics of the install yet?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Go Giants!!

All...like some of you I have bad butt-print in the drivers seat. But I also have indentations where my daughters car seat sits in the rear (even though she's only bee in the car two dozen times or so).

I would assume it's legit to have that recovered too...thougts?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Slacker

the installed pics
Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Racer

Please be patient. I have been really busy getting ready for a long trip. I leave this weekend and it's a 12 hour drive so I will take pics immediately after I complete the drive. Expect the pics on Sunday or Monday.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

The results are in. After 12 straight hours in the car, my 175 pound self failed to leave a significant butt print. I have pics but no place to host. Tried the link mentioned above, but I'm waiting on them to approve my registration. Any other sites you can recommend?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

The results are in. After 12 straight hours in the car, my 175 pound self failed to leave a significant butt print. I have pics but no place to host. Tried the link mentioned above, but I'm waiting on them to approve my registration. Any other sites you can recommend?
http://www.imageshack.us/
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Drifting

My dealer is going to replace my seats with the '05 style also. They ordered the covers last week and they should be in soon. I'll let everyone know how the installation went as soon as I get the work done..probably after New Years since I don't want to have them rush the job before Christmas when everyone is just wanting to get home to their family's. MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS and GALS!!!....Happy New Year too!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Racer

OK. Here are the pics I promised. First of all, these pics were taken with a camera phone so I apologize for the quality. Second, the BEFORE pic was taken in haste. I was dropping off the car at the dealer and walking out the door when I realized I had no BEFORE pics. It was night while the car was in their garage so I ran back and took this quick pic. You can't see much of a print, but I was only in the car for 15 minutes before that.

The AFTER pic was taken right after my 12 hour drive. I literally parked the car, got out, and took the picture. I didn't want to wait for any print to disappear. As you can see, there is some wavyness in the middle panel but considering I was sitting on it for 12 hours straight, I'd say it held up pretty well.

At some point, when there's more sunlight, it's not so brutally cold outside, and I have a better camera, I will take more pics and you'll be able to see that the installation looks clean. No scratches or tears. But for now, these pics are all I can give you. Sorry.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JetJock
My dealer is going to replace my seats with the '05 style also. They ordered the covers last week and they should be in soon. I'll let everyone know how the installation went as soon as I get the work done..probably after New Years since I don't want to have them rush the job before Christmas when everyone is just wanting to get home to their family's. MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS and GALS!!!....Happy New Year too!!!
Hi JetJock-

Who is your dealer in PA that will replace the covers with '05 style? I'm in Allentown and will pursue this in the spring sometime and would like to have some "precedent".
Old 12-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Drifting

Pinto..my dealer is Jones Acura in Lancaster. The service rep that agreed to replace the covers on the spot is "John"
Old 01-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Racer

Well I just got back from my trip. Spent 11 hours in the car and still no butt print. At worst, there is some distortion in the middle panel but hardly worth complaining about. But these TL seats aren't very kind on the back.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I just got back from my trip. Spent 11 hours in the car and still no butt print. At worst, there is some distortion in the middle panel but hardly worth complaining about. But these TL seats aren't very kind on the back.
I just did 7 hours in my TL, Virginia to Connecticut, and this was the most comfortable trip I have had - I think you need to adjust your seats. I also found that using the heat now and then ensures blood flow to the lumbar discs, which helps avoid pain and stiffness.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Racer

It's now been over a month since I had the new seat covers put in and still no butt prints. I think I've figured out why even the 05 seat gets em. The seat covers are just not pulled tight enough. That's certainly true on the 04 but even on the 05, the two smaller panels seem to puff out a bit. On mine, they have been pulled tight. Not so tight that it would rip if you sat down too hard, but tight enough.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Team NightHawk VP

hey hondaonly, could you do me a favor and scan me a copy of your invoice saying you got the 04 seats replaced with 05?

i have really bad prints and the dealer said they can only change it once every 50,000 miles and its going to be the 04s

so if you scan me the recipt, they might do something about it

thanks
Cliff
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Cliff, your dealer is giving you BS!! My dealer in Lancaster PA saw my seats and has offered to replace the seats with the new '05 style. I'm still waiting to have it done because the weather has been horrible lately, and with all the salt and stone on the highway, I don't want to drive the car to the dealer until the roads are clean. I'll let you guys know how the installation goes once I decide to finally have the work done.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by JetJock
Cliff, your dealer is giving you BS!! My dealer in Lancaster PA saw my seats and has offered to replace the seats with the new '05 style. I'm still waiting to have it done because the weather has been horrible lately, and with all the salt and stone on the highway, I don't want to drive the car to the dealer until the roads are clean. I'll let you guys know how the installation goes once I decide to finally have the work done.
jetlock, did the dealer give you a limit of how many times you can do it until warrentt is out? since i have extended warrenty,the service manager told me that i can get the 04s replaced with 04s every 50k miles
Old 02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
321 whp SAE

looks bad because the padding is different.. looks floaty by the butt
Old 02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cliff
jetlock, did the dealer give you a limit of how many times you can do it until warrentt is out? since i have extended warrenty,the service manager told me that i can get the 04s replaced with 04s every 50k miles
Cliff...I didn't ask because they are replacing the '04 seat covers with the '05 cover and it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Besides..with all the hassle replacing the leather...I don't want to go thru it again.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Advanced

how many miles in your car...! when you request to the change...is that really bad....
Old 02-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Instructor

I live in Los Angeles, do you guys know of anyone who got it replaced with 05 seats? My dealer wont change my 04 for 05's unless i paid.

I'm about to print this post out and fax them a copy.

what do you guys think i should do?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Racer

Cliff, I will scan a copy of my invoice and post it as soon as I can. However, that shouldn't be necessary. Tell your dealer to contact Superior Acura in Kansas City. The replacement is covered under warranty and they don't care how many miles you have.

bklynpanman, it's not floaty. It's actually very tight. What you're seeing in the picture is shadows.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

the scan would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Cliff, I will scan a copy of my invoice and post it as soon as I can. However, that shouldn't be necessary. Tell your dealer to contact Superior Acura in Kansas City. The replacement is covered under warranty and they don't care how many miles you have.

bklynpanman, it's not floaty. It's actually very tight. What you're seeing in the picture is shadows.
i went in last week and i told them that other people have gotten 05 seats replacement, they looked at me funny and gave me a look like i was crazy, i added that as one of the warrenty repair issues, and the "tech" says its normal.

Open Road acura is going to get some really nasty comments tomorrow once i go back and i will raise my voice at the service manager.

this place ALWAYS thinks of a way not to warrenty your car.

Quick Reply: SUCCESS!!! 04 Seat Cover Replaced With 05 Seat Cover