Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker motor Accord V6 vs. Cobalt SS/Sc Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
3.6 stroker Accord V6 vs. Cobalt SS/Sc Stage 2

alright guys i've have a 03 accord sedan v6 with 6mt lsd tl trannsmision, and j36 motor built by NVA-AV6. i have just recently got my car street tuned(however it desperately needs a dyno tune), at WOT my AFR is way too rich so it need more tweaking. my afr at idle is 14.7 and WOT drops down to about 10.9-11.3 which is way tooo rich.

anyway, i raced a buddy of mine who has a sc/cobalt ss and he has intake, exhaust, and gmc stage 2 kit. i had my traction control off and we both launched from a 10mph roll. i was in first gear and punched it but couldn't get any traction, he pulled ahead by a few feet. then when i got traction at the start of 2nd gear i pulled up neck and neck with him and he slowly pulled away 1/4 car length at 50mph then by the time i hit 70mph he was a 3/4 car length ahead. his car was surprisingly fast, then again he is a better driver than me, and @ wot with how rich im running my car isn't pulling the way it should.

anyway i lost . i need much more practice driving/launching my car. im sure if i would have been running at 13.5 afr like i should at wot i would have won or at least tied.

Last edited by tenzingsherpa; 08-21-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

just to specify at 50mph my passenger door was lined up with his rear quarter panel, then by 70 mph there was a 1/4 car length gap between my front bumper and his rear bumper.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
SWEET mods man!! And props to you for posting a loss. Many folks are too egotistical to do so. Anyhow, I was checking the details of your ride on Car Doman. Very impressive, if not expensive.

Honestly: you should have kept it stock in appearance to make it the ULTIMATE sleeper. Great job nonetheless!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM
HEET Miser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
despite the unique/admirable variations of your car, which performance may be hard to judge from a comp screen, i was going to advise there's a good chance you'd fall off a bit in the title matchup.

even the sc balts (with a few mods) are light, and have the advantage of no-lift shift, so as you say often surprisingly quick for what they are. it doesn't shock me one bit when i see them edging out larger v6s and such.
kid across the street from me had one with about the same as your bud; not saying it was an all out rocket, but some good go in its powerband for a car generally paid very little regard.

good luck with the tuning/future mod path. good tune can make all the difference.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by duluoz
and have the advantage of no-lift shift
Only the SS/TC balts have no lift shift...

To the OP, I'd say run him again once you get a good tune. Those Stage 2 SCd balts are light and pretty quick but with your mods you should beat him and I'd feel pretty bad if I put the amount of money you did into my car and still couldn't beat an econobox with a factory performance kit.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
HEET Miser

Originally Posted by AtlM5
didn't realize that, thx for the correction.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Originally Posted by F23A4
SWEET mods man!! And props to you for posting a loss. Many folks are too egotistical to do so. Anyhow, I was checking the details of your ride on Car Doman. Very impressive, if not expensive.

Honestly: you should have kept it stock in appearance to make it the ULTIMATE sleeper. Great job nonetheless!
thanks for the props. yeah expensive indeed lol. oh and yeah my appearance is really just cause primarily my car is my show car, but i didn't want a all show no go car so im gonna do performance first then appearance to match hp output.

i will say that i do plan on making a sleeper eventually, planning on a del sol or crx j35 someday all stock exterior then a wicked engine bay.

Originally Posted by duluoz
despite the unique/admirable variations of your car, which performance may be hard to judge from a comp screen, i was going to advise there's a good chance you'd fall off a bit in the title matchup.

even the sc balts (with a few mods) are light, and have the advantage of no-lift shift, so as you say often surprisingly quick for what they are. it doesn't shock me one bit when i see them edging out larger v6s and such.
kid across the street from me had one with about the same as your bud; not saying it was an all out rocket, but some good go in its powerband for a car generally paid very little regard.

good luck with the tuning/future mod path. good tune can make all the difference.
yeah i kinda knew it was gonna be a tough race, but im sure when i do get it tuned right it will demolish the competition. my next plan of attack is to get the aem ems2 to work on my car, fabbed by none other than nva-av6, and twin turbo my j36 with dual garret gt28r's. just about got the money to start it just waiting for the release of ems2 version made for cl-s. with the help of nva-av6 and my push for more out of the j-series hopefully we can see 600+whp. thanks for the support bud

Originally Posted by AtlM5

To the OP, I'd say run him again once you get a good tune. Those Stage 2 SCd balts are light and pretty quick but with your mods you should beat him and I'd feel pretty bad if I put the amount of money you did into my car and still couldn't beat an econobox with a factory performance kit.
alot of factors played a part in my poor performance, i don't plan on making excuses for my loss, cause a loss is a loss in my book. my front tires have about 30% life on them with camber wear, my lack of skilled driving ability, and last but not least a semi tune that need more tweaking all played a part in my loss. However i will say that i gave that cobalt ss/sc stage 2 a run for its money . i mean at least i didn't lose as bad as this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWkuJBc_Xwk
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Nice run. I will say that I'm very surprised at the outcome. You should be putting down over 280whp/240wtq without a tune. With that amount of power I would've thought you'd pull at least 2-3 cars from a low roll. But aren't you just learning how to drive stick?? That plays a big part too.

EDIT: I just looked at a STG2 Cobalt SS/SC dyno and it put down 248/215 on a Dynojet. Definitely good numbers. I'm not sure how light they are. Run him again after the tune

Last edited by Sonnick; 08-23-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

^^ yeah i thought so too, but like they say driver plays a BIG part on the street and track. the person i raced is a VERY experienced manual driver, driven 400 hp + cars. yup today would officially be 6 months that i have been driving stick, and only just recently perfected downshifting.

also don't forget my tires are bald as f**k.

i did however talk to him afterward and he was really surprised that i kept up with him since he was only able to get his rear bumper slightly in front of my front bumper when we hit 70 mph.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 AM
slobalt defender

Received 349 Likes on 186 Posts
Good race man, nice to see a bit of cobalt respect
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
@ the TL video lol I have a buddy with an SC Cobalt and he was tailing us when I raced a G35.. maybe he can't drive but it seemed as if he couldn't keep up?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Soul Reaper

I'm definitely a fan of the mods. A supercharger is on my one day wish list. I will stay auto however, because I just love accelerating w/ one click of my ruby red slippers.

For your loss, there are just too many variables, but the first one is power to weight. This is the same reason a turbo b series engine can run down a z06. If it's not a Bugatti pretty much price tag or vehicle manufacturer means nothing in a race.

This equation shows it being a minimal difference but since I have no exact numbers for either of you I just did stock to stock. Also since your a manual 03 your curb weight is diff. as well.

Cobalt Curb weight = 2815 @ 205 whp stock power to weight ratio (horsepower:pounds) = 4.4297287569285E-5
Accord v6 sedan = 3415
power to weight ratio (horsepower:pounds) = 4.274863047789E-5
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

just posting my afr up
idle afr: 14.7
WOT afr: 10.9 ( should be running at 13.5-13.9) im running terribly rich. i will tweak it soon but find the afr okay since im gonna be going f/I anyway