Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street racers ARGHH!! need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street racers ARGHH!! need advice!

good evening all, I just got back from a date with my gf and some douche bags in a bmw 3 series were trying to pick a race with me. I believe that it was either the 320 or 328. Definitely saw 32X. Followed me for a good couple of lights trying to get my attention at every red light. I just wanted a nice night out with the gf after midterms and run into this. Anyways, i dont believe in street racing and feel that if people can afford to mod cars, they should be able to afford going to a track to race. If they have enough money for a bmw, then track cost shouldnt be an issue. Tl's are nice cars and i dont expect to attract the street racers in a luxury car such as this. Maybe its the fact that i have the type s? But anyways, i just ignored them and after a while longer, they just sped up and cut me off. I guess this is why the bmw brand is now known to be owned by douches. THey are nice cars, dont get me wrong, but a lot of the population that owns one do not deserve it and puts the bmw brand to shame. Sorry about all this ranting but i felt embarrassed about this happenin with the gf in the car and couldnt do anything about it except tryin to get her mind off of it.

My question to fellow Tl drivers, especially those of you with type s. Does this occur to you frequently and how would you avoid such a situation? I love my car and would not want to risk it in a street race at all. If i have the need for speed, i would just set up a track day with all the buddies for some fast drivin
Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 AM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Honestly, you should've spanked them. If you have a Type-S you could've beaten a 325i and 328i easily. Is your car auto or manual?

Well regardless if you have a auto or manual, you should be able to hand those guys their asses.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by renedcruz
Honestly, you should've spanked them. If you have a Type-S you could've beaten a 325i and 328i easily. Is your car auto or manual?

Well regardless if you have a auto or manual, you should be able to hand those guys their asses.
Ya I can never tell if someone wants to race me. It seems like they don't then they gun it at a stop light. At least give me a warning so I can beat you.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Cuff Yo Chiiccckk

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a type-s and in Chicago there are a SHIT LOAD OF RICERS. i want to enjoy my drive but i get tempted to hit the gas and show the ricers to watch who they pick on. I could care less about speeding when i'm driving and there's a guy next to me that likes to speed. But when someone that likes to speed cuts me off when there's no one in front of them...all i say is "let the games begin"
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM
13203!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Atran713
My question to fellow Tl drivers, especially those of you with type s. Does this occur to you frequently and how would you avoid such a situation? I love my car and would not want to risk it in a street race at all. If i have the need for speed, i would just set up a track day with all the buddies for some fast drivin
it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. i wouldn't avoid such a situation, as long as i felt conditions were safe enough to warrant it. i bought a type s for a reason. i wouldn't be racing through traffic at 5pm, but if i'm coming home from somewhere late, and the road was clear, i'd be showing that bmw a type s badge.

my girlfriend would be egging me on at the same time.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
it's never happened to me but I have only had my car about 11 months. I would think it depends on where you live on how often this happens...AWDream that's a pretty funny avatar lol
Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 AM
13203!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shellready
...AWDream that's a pretty funny avatar lol
ha, thanks. i've been using it on other forums forever, just kinda followed me i guess...that and it makes me chuckle every time i see it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Next time.... Smoke em....
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not a fan of street races and I don't race my 6my tl. When it comes to street-racing, the stakes are higher than what most folks perceive or realize.

If during your street race, say something goes wrong, something unexpected occurs that results in serious injury or death to either driver, passengers. Or say same death or injury to people not involved in the racing like other cars on the road or a pedestrian. There will never be enough tears or never enough sorrys that will undo the hurt. Then comes the swift yet firm legal action against you.

Do yourself, your family and everyone else a favor. Keep the ego in check, and keep the stupid racin' off the streets.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

The only thing street racing proves is how stupid you are to get involved in it. I get goaded endlessly in my Porsche. A Cobalt with the fart can muffler was egging me on last night in the TL. I just drive EXTRA slow at that point and pretend like I didn't even notice them.

You did the right thing by ignoring them. You and your gf got home safe and I suspect that your evening got better after that. You won!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I've posted this before, but the wife and I were going to dinner at the Capitol Grille in Cherry Hill in her WDP TL when some moron in a TLS pulls alongside and floors his car, slows down until he gets along side again and floors it once again, a 5 AT no less. The guy is an idiot. We get to the next light, but as the cars start forward he now waits until I get along side of him and floors it again. Just goes to show that there are even morons driving a TLS. I'm laughing at the guy as we have a car home in the garage that would blow his doors off as well as having a NHRA competition license, but as he doesn’t know, he continues to be an ass.

On 195 in Jersey, a WDP TLS tried passing 3 cars that were actually in the passing lane by moving to the slow lane and then picked up speed only to slam on the brakes as he came up on the slower cars in front and couldn’t move to the left, then had to watch as we all went by the nut. I was in our 2008 knock around car, not the TL.

Sure made a believer out of me, doesn’t matter the make of car, idiots are all around us.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot agree more with Flyer92 keep racing off the streets unless it was daylight and absoulutly no cars on the road I mean no cars and it was a 4 lane hwy. I had the same crap happen to me few days ago in the evening. I pulled out on the hwy leaving a restaurant and their was a car coming from a far distant but I had plenty of time to pull out and speed up so the on coming person does not have to hit brakes. Anyways, this moran speeds up and gets right on my ass and then gets besides me stays parallel I slow down alittle the other person slows down then I speed up alittle they speed up so then finally I let the car coast to slow down enough to where the other person finally speds away. The other car was a 5.0 80's Mustang GT. Besides, it was dark out there were other cars on the road far distant away but still enough to catch up on and for something to happen unexpectedly. You did the right thing Atran713 by not racing it's not worth it... Enjoy your TL!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyer92
I'm not a fan of street races and I don't race my 6my tl. When it comes to street-racing, the stakes are higher than what most folks perceive or realize.

If during your street race, say something goes wrong, something unexpected occurs that results in serious injury or death to either driver, passengers. Or say same death or injury to people not involved in the racing like other cars on the road or a pedestrian. There will never be enough tears or never enough sorrys that will undo the hurt. Then comes the swift yet firm legal action against you.

Do yourself, your family and everyone else a favor. Keep the ego in check, and keep the stupid racin' off the streets.
I agree with you even though I've done it before. I've slowed down a lot these days and i normally take it easey but given the right circumstances and temptations, i can't say I won't do it again.

There were a couple races I've read in the paper last summer which resulted in deaths because the one of the drivers lost control. They caught the other driver and charged them as well (can't remember what). But I'm sure the other driver is going to jail so it's something to think about. On the streets, it really doesn't matter if you're a good driver. If the person next to you gets in an accident, you both may be paying the price. Something to think about.

To the OP - congrats on your actions. I probably would've bit and taken the bait so props to you. If it happens again, I would just wave them off to let them know you're not interested. If they persist, just ignore them and eventually they'll go away.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 AM
5th Gear

hope your gf wasnt disappointed dude i say you should have gave them the treatment
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Them BMW guys are trying to steal our girls
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
UA6mt NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yea i really hate it when they try and do it and i have my fiance and kid in the car because im not risking their lives, now if im by myself thats another story if i can tell its an open road and you wana see what you can do im very tempted but i pick em wisely
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Similar discussion..

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/road-rage-car-make-807021/
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
EVERYTIME I drive my TLS I encounter these types of "A" holes. My 07' is silver with rear tinted windows & A spec spoiler kit. I belong in a local carwash club, so for $49 a month I can get my car washed unlimited, inside & out & underbody rinse so I keep it clean. I honestly think people are jealous of the car because 80% of the time I get somebody behind me tailgating & trying to egg me on. Same thing on the highway. The young kids in their POS cars are the worst. I think they feel threatened by the TLS & its great looks & body lines. I SLOW DOWN & ignore them & they gets them even more pissed off.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP- imaginary rep points to you.

You might want to get a new GF if she is egging you on. Not saying she was because it was unclear in your post but if she is making you feel like shit for not street racing that's not cool IMHO.

Last edited by ggesq; 02-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I find myself in this situation all the time, probably because I'm doig 80mph on the tollway all the time. Since you have to pay to play on the tollway, given the right conditions I take on many and I have spanked many. G6's, Infiniti g35's, Cobalts, Gay Scions, Lexus's Is300 and 250's, Ford Explorer's, BMW( The BMW idiots who think they are packing hp but have somewhere along the lines of 185hp). I often find that the people who packed more hp and lost, didnt trust their vehicle along turns. The TL's handling is so smooth, I find myself winning races on wit, handling and speed.

As for the ones i have lost:
Dodge Charger
Audi A6- left me in a standstill, I thought I was stuck in the matrix
Murcielago (wanted to hear his engine) gave me 4secs and he shook my car to the core when he revved passed. The TL felt like a plastic bag in the wind.

Again, these were along open tollroads with little to no traffic. So please speed responsibly. Lastly, I guess it doesn't help to have a G/F who eggs me on either, "Burn him Please." Sportshift for the win.

Last edited by whudini3000; 02-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for all your input guys. ggesq, my gf wasnt egging it on. haha it was actually the opposite, she was trying to ignore that ahole and we just laughed it off as he went off. Makes me feel better knowing that there are people that agree with my decision to keep races off the street. There are enough morons on the street trying to start races, why give them that satisfaction. and to those of you who think i shouldve let him at it, I didnt buy this tl-s to race or to start race. I bought it because of its many features to enjoy the 60+ miles i have to drive to work/school. Since it was around the same price as base tls in my area, i decided to go for the type s. I actually enjoy driving the 60 miles now as compared to before in my 08 civic LX with absolutely nothing. Am i wrong by owning a type s model without the urge to race every moron with a large ego and low self esteem?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
street racing is dumb.

/story

oh and to the OP: More than likely mommy and daddy bought them their BMW. I see that more times than not. If it were up to them, they'd have the typical 240sx or civic.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Am i wrong by owning a type s model without the urge to race every moron with a large ego and low self esteem?
Nah. When you purchased the vehicle, I'm sure you bought it based on style and comfort as most owners have.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You did the right thing. Racing around only leads to trouble.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
I have to say...I've only owned my Type-S for a month or so, and even when the roads are dry and free of snow, I've been challenged. BUT...in Toronto its like we're living under the reign of the Soviet Gulag when it comes to street racing...If you're caught going 50kph (about 30mph) over the limit on any Ontario road or highway - this is considered street racing. The cops can (and usually do) impound your car for a week, suspend your license, and fine you $10,000.00 FOR A FIRST OFFENSE!! A second offense can lead to a maximum sentence of 10 YEARS IN JAIL!!

Unconstitutional as shit but what can I do about it??!?!?

When I get the itch to go for a blast, I find my favorite on ramp and let her rippp!!! Acceleration through a turn and into a straight is the fun part anyway right??
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BigPZ
I have to say...I've only owned my Type-S for a month or so, and even when the roads are dry and free of snow, I've been challenged. BUT...in Toronto its like we're living under the reign of the Soviet Gulag when it comes to street racing...If you're caught going 50kph (about 30mph) over the limit on any Ontario road or highway - this is considered street racing. The cops can (and usually do) impound your car for a week, suspend your license, and fine you $10,000.00 FOR A FIRST OFFENSE!! A second offense can lead to a maximum sentence of 10 YEARS IN JAIL!!

When I get the itch to go for a blast, I find my favorite on ramp and let her rippp!!! Acceleration through a turn and into a straight is the fun part anyway right??
That is the most fuuuudge up law I've heard in my life. Yet effective....

Acceleration through a turn and into a straight is the fun part anyway right??
Old 02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Agree with above. Racing = trouble in 90% of circumstances. I have had a few run-ins myself, but just ingore the idiots as best I can. I've actually had more trouble with people just driving stupid around me and cutting me off than trying to race. Most of the morons trying to race are dumb kids with POS cars. So I just take comfort in the fact that I drive a much nicer car with a lot more power than they do, and go on my way.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
I had a EP3 Civic try to race me a few nights ago. He got beside me and downshifted and took off thinking he was hot shit. I just laughed because I was in the right lane going 7 over with my cruise control on, in no way did I signal that I wanted to race.

Just let them go, they aren't worth your time or gas.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
It happened to me a few times here in nashville but i just ignore them and slow down if they wanna tail gate thats fine with me, i will only go slower. I never do get what everyones hurry is on the road.
Now days its kids who get spoiled from their parents who think they are the s**t because they have a nice car. OP congrats on not racing the fool. as stated above you may never know what the consequences can be.

Heres a link to a great read about a kid who just egged a guy on for street racing. i love reading this as it just shows you how stupid young kids and their cars can be. *dont worry this is pg13 safe no one dies *
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332203 if i cant have this link here feel free to delete or move to appropiate location.

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 02-05-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Atran713
thanks for all your input guys. ggesq, my gf wasnt egging it on. haha it was actually the opposite, she was trying to ignore that ahole and we just laughed it off as he went off. Makes me feel better knowing that there are people that agree with my decision to keep races off the street. There are enough morons on the street trying to start races, why give them that satisfaction. and to those of you who think i shouldve let him at it, I didnt buy this tl-s to race or to start race. I bought it because of its many features to enjoy the 60+ miles i have to drive to work/school. Since it was around the same price as base tls in my area, i decided to go for the type s. I actually enjoy driving the 60 miles now as compared to before in my 08 civic LX with absolutely nothing. Am i wrong by owning a type s model without the urge to race every moron with a large ego and low self esteem?

No, your not wrong for owning a Type-S.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was in my 01 Cobra last weekend in ATL and had a guy in an old eclipse taunt me. I seen his wife/gf in the passenger seat and jus shook my head in disappointment. It's one this to risk your car and your life but risking someone elses is jus not cool. But I've had a few runs with my type-s leaving work In the late evenings, but nothing over 10mph the speed limit.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32

Just let them go, they aren't worth your time or gas.

Yep, I drive pretty conservatively these days simply because I always strive to get the best MPG!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPZ

How is this unconstitutional when YOU'RE the one breaking the law!.... As far as I'm concerned they're doing a GREAT JOB keeping the ass-hats off our roads. (Do you even know what unconstitutional means?. How does what they do violate our constitution or the principals of our nation? If anything, these laws are upholding our safety and security.)

Also, anyone who said that you SHOULD street race (regardless of how "SAFE" it may seem) in this thread is an idiot plain and simple... No one can foresee anything/everything that can/may happen.

As the OP originally stated, if you can BUY/MOD your TL, pay the track fees and do it properly.....

(I take these threads seriously, since I lost a friend when a street racer lost control of their car and ruining a number of lives).
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
you did the right thing by not racing next time if you wanna just lose em, just pull up to a store or gas station so they can move on and you can be left alone as well. nobody needs to get hurt especially if you have your gf in the whip. and you shouldn't be embarassed bro, in the end you did it for good reasons and you two got home safe. you didn't get a ticket or into a car accident

If somebodies tailgating me constantly to piss me off, i pop on my HID reverse lights and drive with em on for a while lol.. thats if its safe and im able to get away safely or i just hold down my wind shield wiper fluid until they slow down, if they don't....i make it rain.

@ dontTL'em'nothing - that link to the post was great
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It is very simple. Who cares what anybody in another car wants to do? Be mentally strong enough to go about your business.........
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
there is a time and place for everything. i would have done the same thing as you OP. no reason to race your car and put anyones life in danger.

now...if i'm by myself, open highway, no traffic, and i think i can do better...i'll show off a little bit for my own personal amusement. but nothing that will put myself or anyone else in harms way, just a little bit of fun. otherwise, i'm a very conservative driver and tend to mind my own business. you gotta open it up once in a while tho.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TVL65
EVERYTIME I drive my TLS I encounter these types of "A" holes. My 07' is silver with rear tinted windows & A spec spoiler kit. I belong in a local carwash club, so for $49 a month I can get my car washed unlimited, inside & out & underbody rinse so I keep it clean. I honestly think people are jealous of the car because 80% of the time I get somebody behind me tailgating & trying to egg me on. Same thing on the highway. The young kids in their POS cars are the worst. I think they feel threatened by the TLS & its great looks & body lines. I SLOW DOWN & ignore them & they gets them even more pissed off.
I laughed so incredibly hard at this post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Like I said before, you should've spanked him.

I'm not telling you to push your car to 80mph either on a local road, but you could've handed that guy his ass off the line, up until about 50 or 60 mph (if the road permitted), then slow down, let him pull up next to you, and laugh at him. I've done that a few times and it's a great feeling. I mean, I have a TSX with just an exhaust and an intake. Off the line, I've beaten a 325i and 328i. So imagine, you have a Type-S (3.5L engine!) Next time,
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
First off, you made the most awesomely responsible decision to not endanger public roads. Good on ya!

Otherwise, ya, you could have spanked them and yes, I get harrassed all the time out here. Just keep on keepin' on.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosew
How is this unconstitutional when YOU'RE the one breaking the law!.... As far as I'm concerned they're doing a GREAT JOB keeping the ass-hats off our roads. (Do you even know what unconstitutional means?. How does what they do violate our constitution or the principals of our nation? If anything, these laws are upholding our safety and security.)

Also, anyone who said that you SHOULD street race (regardless of how "SAFE" it may seem) in this thread is an idiot plain and simple... No one can foresee anything/everything that can/may happen.

As the OP originally stated, if you can BUY/MOD your TL, pay the track fees and do it properly.....

(I take these threads seriously, since I lost a friend when a street racer lost control of their car and ruining a number of lives).
First of all, If you read what I wrote...I DIDN'T BREAK ANY LAW...you stating so makes you an "ass-hat"...I said that I like accelerating up to the limit...

Second, unconstitutional can be defined as an act "Not in accord with the principles set forth in the constitution of a nation or state", which in this case is Canada's. The act of towing one's car on the spot is the act of proclaiming one guilty of an offense. Without sufficient evidence/a fair trial/or allowing the accused to offer up a defense makes this act UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Third, do some research before you attack someone's intelligence.

http://www.autonorth.ca/home/2009/9/...itutional.html

Quick Reply: Street racers ARGHH!! need advice!