Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop RWD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 04:35 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop RWD!!!

Many people complain that TL is not RWD, but think again...TL is competing with cars like Lexus ES300, Infinity I35, Chrysler 300M...etc.
Not BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Benz C-class...etc..
If you need a smallers compact sedan with go for the Germans.
But if you need place to breathe and seat 4 adults in comfort, go for es300, TL, I35, 300M.
Also, guys look better in cars like ES300, TL, I35, 300M...etc. than 3 series, A4, and C-Class...this is just my opinion.
Girls look good in these well built smaller German mobiles.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
An important factor with FWD is... its VERY popular in the snowbelt. The RL... you'll never see it in warm climates (its a rare sight) but go anywhere there is a decent snowfall and the RL is king. Why? Because all of those RWD cars get stuck, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have. You'll see a lot of Audi's, BMW 330xi's, a few AWD MB's and lots of Lexus ES300 and Acura TL's/CL's and RL's.

Acura could widen its appeal by going to AWD, I wouldn't complain at all. I don't really want RWD, if I did, I would buy a Lexus IS300 and rip out the silly guages and redo the dash
Old 09-04-2003, 05:27 PM

BS, you don't see the RL anywhere in any belt. The car sucks and no one wants it or buys it. It snows like crazy in Europe, where they BUILD BMWs, Benz, Jags etc.

Terryslash kinda knows what he is talking about.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Heh, they sell nearly 800 RL's a year in Massachussetts alone, I do know what I'm talking about ty very much I also lived in New England for 16 years, I saw Legends and later RL's left and right, people like them, they're good cars, they just aren't "sporty" enough for you I guess, you most likely have never even driven an RL, not to mention since it was redesigned in '02, it handles reasonable and has decent road feel. I would say it has 95% of the quiet and comfort of a Lexus LS430 and thats at 2/3'rds of the price. If you say price doesn't matter to people in that range, you're wrong.

Acura sells a lot of cars to "cheap" people who don't like spending any more money than they have to. Its companies like Cadillac that sell to the "bling bling" crowd. Acura actually has a lot of older clientele who prefer subtle but attractive cars. The new TL will attract new buyers but will definitely put off quite a few.

And by the way, most of Europe has mild winters compared to North Dakota, Minnesota, New York, New England and Canada.

Then there is a place called Sweden... ever heard of it? Yeah, they're famous for FWD cars and AWD cars. Ever heard of a Saab?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

i've seen plenty of M3's spinning out trying to get out of their driveways everyday of winter. then you've got 60 grand sitting in a garage to enjoy while im out driving around. RWD is very difficult to drive in any kind of snow. To some this is a consideration, to other's it's not. All i know is that no one will be trashing the new RL. guaranteed to turn some heads. holla.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
AWD would be very nice for this snow-belt resident....but FWD is fine. Heavy engine over drive wheels=traction=GOOD.

Doubly good because I tend to drive in to work before the plow drivers start working.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

RWD + Handbrake = tricks!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:33 AM
5th Gear

Some cars work better with RWD in snow than others. The BMW's work very well in snow even though running RWD. Dealer claims the xi's give better performance in the deep snow, but on an average morning, your not going to have a problem getting your BMW to work. (M3's will have to stay in the garage).

I've been driving RWD for the last 3 winters and hate it. You really have to know the car to drive RWD in the winter. That combined with snow tires and sandbags.

I've been looking for a nice FWD/AWD car that I can get a 6spd in and 220+ HP for quite some time. The '04 TL looks like my car and I'm looking forward to driving this guy this winter.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:09 AM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

TerrySlash,

Odd that you would say the 2004 TL competes with the ES300, I35, 300M they are FWD correct, but Acura mentions the 2004 TL competition as the G35, E class, BMW 530... They used the latter (530I) as the benchmark for the TL. They are all RWD the TL stacks up nicely against them don't under estimate the 2004 just because it's FWD maybe Acura wants to think beyond the limitations especially if the car has any 530i in it's jeans. Wait for a test drive ;-)
Old 09-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Re: Stop RWD!!!

Originally posted by terryslash
Many people complain that TL is not RWD, but think again...TL is competing with cars like Lexus ES300, Infinity I35, Chrysler 300M...etc.
Not BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Benz C-class...etc..
If you need a smallers compact sedan with go for the Germans.
But if you need place to breathe and seat 4 adults in comfort, go for es300, TL, I35, 300M.
Also, guys look better in cars like ES300, TL, I35, 300M...etc. than 3 series, A4, and C-Class...this is just my opinion.
Girls look good in these well built smaller German mobiles.
dude...i think u shold go to da acura website check whcih car TL is compare. i belive TL out is cometing with all da car u have listting.
TL is competing with G35 thats da fact everyone knows...so i shold u shold check ur informtauon
Old 09-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

was that english?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by wabone
was that english?
I hope not, because I understand English, and I understood 0% of that post..
Old 09-06-2003, 03:52 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh... if you put on snow tire, and know how to drive. RWD will not be that much of a problem. FWD is not ALWAYS better in snow, if you are those who's not careful with the throttle. Power induced oversteer is easier to deal with than power induced understeering on snow...

Please don't give me the BMW always get stuck in snow BS... My friend's M3 never got stuck in snow, and it get's pretty bad up here in Canada.

Also while RWD is not always better, in physics and desgin, it is a better design IMHO...
Old 09-06-2003, 04:08 AM
The Acura Tranny Killer

For a pick up truck it's a better design yes

Tracer
Old 09-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by SL1200MK4
Huh... if you put on snow tire, and know how to drive. RWD will not be that much of a problem. FWD is not ALWAYS better in snow, if you are those who's not careful with the throttle. Power induced oversteer is easier to deal with than power induced understeering on snow...

Please don't give me the BMW always get stuck in snow BS... My friend's M3 never got stuck in snow, and it get's pretty bad up here in Canada.

Also while RWD is not always better, in physics and desgin, it is a better design IMHO...
I agree with you that FWD is not perfect in the snow. However, most people who have lived for some time in the snow belt have enough sense not to overuse the accelerator. For that matter, we also do well with RWD big a$$ American cars....with heavy salt bags in the back, etc.

RWD is better for tricks and aggressive driving, but my TL is my daily driver and I can't afford to shred tires like that. Besides, I'm so used to FWD I guess I just can't go back. It would have been easier if Honda had just designed a "lightweight" AWD system. Maybe it's coming later? (hopefully)
Old 09-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

As a former BMW owner I KNOW better. It doesn't snow a great deal here but when it snowed at all I learned to leave the BMW at home and take my wife's awd Audi. "Traction control" on a BMW just means you won't spin your tires when you get stuck every time there is a snow flurry.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Don't forget that snow comes in different varieties. In the mid-Atlantic its usually fairly fluffy, basically harmless stuff in comparison to the thick slippery, wet snow that the more northern climates get. One inch of slippery snow is more dangerous than 3 inches of "fluffy" snow.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

it's a known fact that fwd is better than rwd in snow for the average driver...most people don't have the time or patience to slow down around every corner and not be able to accelerate when they need to. Yes, you can drive a rwd car in the snow. obviously people do it. but fwd is more stable and easier to control. you don't have to worry about your back end slipping out. just get some studded snow tires and be done with it. holla.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by jdone
As a former BMW owner I KNOW better. It doesn't snow a great deal here but when it snowed at all I learned to leave the BMW at home and take my wife's awd Audi. "Traction control" on a BMW just means you won't spin your tires when you get stuck every time there is a snow flurry.
Did you actually have DSC? If no, then sure your traction control is just as good as those on TL-P...
Old 09-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
um it doest matter weather its RWD or FWD any more! wit snow tires there all the same now days.... id rather have RWD over FWD but ill take what ever acura gives me!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fsttyms1
um it doest matter weather its RWD or FWD any more! wit snow tires there all the same now days.... id rather have RWD over FWD but ill take what ever acura gives me!
Heh, I'll take you to New Hampshire in a nice wintry February morning and you'll be BEGGING for FWD before you can get out of your driveway
Old 09-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
RWD vs. FWD

My last 2 cars were front drivers. 1998 Nissan Maxima SE and 2002 Acura TL-S. My current car is a rear-wheel drive 540ia. Guess which one is better in the snow? BMW. Why, because it is the only I put snow tires on. I can assure you that if your TL with all-season tires gets out of your driveway. My BMW with snows will fly out of it. Keep in mind that that you not only accelerate in snow, you need to break and go around corners. And 50/50 weight distribution of a rear wheel drive car gives you even more advantages on roads covered with snow than on dry ones. BTW, TL-S was much better in snow than Maxima.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

yeah, you'll fly out of the drive way and keep flying into oncoming traffic. just playing man. 540i is a sick car.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Racer

I'd love to have AWD...but if I don't have that and I must have a 4 door, I'd rather take FWD over RWD.
It's not a compact car or a roadster. What's the point?
Wait till it snows. I get to drive by all the skidding bimmers.

BTW, RLs suck big time...but they are everywhere in NJ. The discounts are very deep and it not all that much more expensive than Avalon. (just a bit smaller?)
I haven't seen one during my trips down south though. Maybe they aren't as popular outside of the snowy winter area.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by FlyingPig
I'd love to have AWD...but if I don't have that and I must have a 4 door, I'd rather take FWD over RWD.
It's not a compact car or a roadster. What's the point?
Wait till it snows. I get to drive by all the skidding bimmers.

BTW, RLs suck big time...but they are everywhere in NJ. The discounts are very deep and it not all that much more expensive than Avalon. (just a bit smaller?)
I haven't seen one during my trips down south though. Maybe they aren't as popular outside of the snowy winter area.
I strongly disagree that the RL's suck. 2002 and newer models drive like a slightly bigger TL and have a ride/noise level of a Lexus LS430. So while it seems overpriced from reading just the numbers, you have to drive it to really judge it, I wouldn't mind one, they're great for the freeway.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

The changes for 04 were nice too. The interior materials and finish is great.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:32 PM

I strongly disagree that the RL's suck
Dude, they blow. When I was looking for cars for my mother, we went looking at RLs (she doesn't care much about cars, I was paying for it, we both know the Acura GM, I know they are getting 8k off MSRP).

We took it home for the weekend and let her see how she likes it. She was totally unimpressed as was I. The ES 300/330 is better than the RL with the same room, more power and features. For 45k, this car says nothing about being a luxury car. Now, I was getting a new RL for like 36k out the door. And she did not want it. Says a lot for me.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I wasn't paying for it I would want the more expensive car too
Old 09-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Dude, they blow. When I was looking for cars for my mother, we went looking at RLs (she doesn't care much about cars, I was paying for it, we both know the Acura GM, I know they are getting 8k off MSRP).

We took it home for the weekend and let her see how she likes it. She was totally unimpressed as was I. The ES 300/330 is better than the RL with the same room, more power and features. For 45k, this car says nothing about being a luxury car. Now, I was getting a new RL for like 36k out the door. And she did not want it. Says a lot for me.

Suit yourself. The ES has a beautiful interior, I love it. But it has one big thing against it... ITS UGLY AS SIN on the outside. Otherwise the ES is a good car. Both are FWD though, so thats good if you're in the snowbelt.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:12 AM

Oh, the ES is ugly. She didn't want that either, lmao.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Race Director

so I wonder who actually buys the ugly ES?

Is it geared towards old ladies, I mean who digs that design?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:12 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by perrymaxima
TerrySlash,

Odd that you would say the 2004 TL competes with the ES300, I35, 300M they are FWD correct, but Acura mentions the 2004 TL competition as the G35, E class, BMW 530... They used the latter (530I) as the benchmark for the TL. They are all RWD the TL stacks up nicely against them don't under estimate the 2004 just because it's FWD maybe Acura wants to think beyond the limitations especially if the car has any 530i in it's jeans. Wait for a test drive ;-)
So...you think 3.5RL competes with S-class, 7 series, and LS430??
E class, 530i, A6, GS...i believe they cost over $40,000 or high $30Ks. 3.5RL is also over $40K. TL??? just above $30,000. If I am at least close about these prices, I would not put the TL against these $40k cars. Don't think dealer is always right, use your own judgment please. Sure TL can bring similar (or better in some category) performance to match E320, 530i, GS300, A6 2.8 & 3.0, Jaguar S-Type 3.0. Just like I used to smoke my older brother's 528i, both on signal lights and freeways until he got the new Z to make my TL feel like a minivan...(I have 2000TL w/ minor mods, intake, filters and spoiler, haha does spoiler make your car go faster??? or at least give better wind flow?? or is it just weights on your back?). Although TL's built quality is pointing south compared to these vehicles.
And I am not underestimating TL, it is nearly a perfect car on the market today at a bargain price.
My opinion is Infinity competes with $40k class cars with their new M45. About competiting against G35 sedan...I dont see no competition there, because TL is the handsdown winner in every category.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:03 AM

so I wonder who actually buys the ugly ES?
I dunno but obviously people are happy. It's selling stronger than ever in it's history. Outside of looks, it is a supremely built car that has an amazing interior. Before the TL, the ES was the class leader in sales.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Instructor

....right. As they stand on the side of the road as they wait for the tow truck to fix thier German POS!

Deposit on '04 TL Anthracite/Ebony 5AT w/Navi
Old 09-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

What about AWD? Rumor was this car would have it, but Honda decided not to offer it. I know this is not a big demand item, but for those who live in areas with a lot of snow (friend who lives in Fairbanks, AK), this will not be much of an option. Anyone know if Acura has plans to offer this?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

If, repeat IF, the TL eventually gets AWD it will probably be on the RL first. The new RL comes out next Spring, sometime around April.

There are spy pics of the RL doing tests in Germany and it has HUGE rear tires.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM
10th Gear

Till this very day after getting 2007 tl-s I wish they made it in rwd. Although I do not wish to shred tires plus the winter can get bad here... Type s option should come with RWD IMO. Base model with fwd.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Holy thread revival Batman!

And damn, I was right 9 years ago about everything and it turned out I did later own an '02 RL

P.S. 1SICKLEX is now a universal troll just like I thought he was.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
9 year old thread

I'd rather have RWD and winter tires for the snow. Plenty of traction for commutes in the white stuff, but easier to have fun in a parking lot.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just get an Audi then. I lived in N.Y and M.D. With mine. No worries. AWD. I have a TL now and live in FL. I just think that FWD is easier to drive in the snow than RWD. If you never driven and gotten any exp driving a RWD in the snow..

Quick Reply: Stop RWD!!!