3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still possible to buy Mobil I for half price!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still possible to buy Mobil I for half price!!!!

Decided to see if it was still possible after reading a post on this by one of our informative TL guys. Went to Pep Boys and asked for their MADD calendar. Staff almost did not know where they were, finally located some underneath some bags at the check out counter. Calendar cost a buck and its for a good cause. Looked inside and there they were: a ton of coupons! Buy 3 and get 3 free bottles of any Mobil I. Its a special promo deal!! I did just that and got a case{6} for $15! They are slightly higher than Wal Mart but its cool to get something wholesale or better. Went back and bought 3 more calendars. Offer expires Dec 05 but you can stock up if you believe in Mobil I. Go get them!!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ru using regular oil? b/c I use synthetic and mobil one does not make 5W-20.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PRiMO45
ru using regular oil? b/c I use synthetic and mobil one does not make 5W-20.
no but they do make 0w-20 which can be used in the TL. some have also used 5w-30 or 10w-30 as mobil oils run rather thin. the thicker oil is suppose to provide better protection.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
信是寶

Great tip - thanks! I put nothing but Mobil1 full-synthetic in my cars and bike, it is good stuff ...

Quick note: I discovered that my dealer put the regular oil in my car last oil change, even after I asked him about it. I busted him when the price was for the regular oil and then he said that he wasn't sure what they put in.

I got a free complementary change to get that crap out of there - that is why I like to change the oil myself, I know the oil and the filter that my baby gets.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
8th Gear

Mobil 1 does make 5W-20 and stopped making 0W-20. There is probably some old stock still in stores. Check the Mobil 1 site. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...s/Mobil_1.aspx
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, nice info
i'd still stick with 10w-30 per road rage tho.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

meh dyno for me
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
BTW, the calendar has some other great coupons in it as well such as a free bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, a free bottle of Eagle One Wax As U Dry, and any Pure One oil filter for only $4.99. I've built up enough stock of Mobil 1 to last me until the next decade. The only catch with the calendar coupons is that you can only use one coupon per visit.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Additional info on this thread here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=madd+calendar

And yes, I go almost 3 times a week and pick more stuff up STILL. Look out though, they started adding Buy One Get One stickers to the items on the bottom row! (As opposed to buying gum for $.50 and getting stuff for free) They do still honor the coupons without the stickers however (and... goo gone DOES get the BOGO stickers off with no leftovers... allow to dry)
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Is there a shelf life for new motor/gear oil?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepZJ
Is there a shelf life for new motor/gear oil?
Well, yes, but long before it is reached, the oil will be obsolete based on technology advances. Unlike prescription medicine, there is no use to discard oil after 6 months.

I do like 10w30 grade in synoil, but it is not necessarily the thickness that is the benefit, but the fact that 10w30 has > shear stability, higher TFOUT peformance, etc. Since a synoil 10w30 has plenty of low temp flowability, i do not see any downside to using it, other than a tiny fuel economy/max power theoretical. Actually, using LE 8130 has resulted in NO drop in fuel economy in my car, as I believe the outstanding additive package keeps friction extremely low, offsetting the higher inertial properties of a slightly heavier weight oil. (i.e. parasitic pumping losses).
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Convenient....

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Well, yes, but long before it is reached, the oil will be obsolete based on technology advances. Unlike prescription medicine, there is no use to discard oil after 6 months.

I do like 10w30 grade in synoil, but it is not necessarily the thickness that is the benefit, but the fact that 10w30 has > shear stability, higher TFOUT peformance, etc. Since a synoil 10w30 has plenty of low temp flowability, i do not see any downside to using it, other than a tiny fuel economy/max power theoretical. Actually, using LE 8130 has resulted in NO drop in fuel economy in my car, as I believe the outstanding additive package keeps friction extremely low, offsetting the higher inertial properties of a slightly heavier weight oil. (i.e. parasitic pumping losses).
G:

Glad I caught you on an oil thread (of all places!).

Mobile 1 is now marketing their "Extended Protection" product which is supposed to have more anit-wear and detergents (30-50%). Have you looked at this? What do you think of it for the TL?

And another thing. I have just 3,000 miles on my TL even though it is almost a year old. My Maintenance Minder says I have 50% oil life remaining. I changed my oil today to Mobil 1 10W-30 based on your journals. I also used a Fram premium "Tough Guard" oil filter with 99% >20 micron rating.

Should I replace that filter or go with it? Should I get a quart of Valvoline Max Life to add to the Mobil 1 for its additive package because of my low miles? Or, do you think that the wear-in process is pretty well complete after 11 months? The factory oil was looking dark and I didn't want to go that long in time. It was also down a little more than a pint. Is that normal?

I saved the old oil for a Used Oil Analysis. I have a test package on the way to me. The cost is $20 without a TBN test. (I'm more interested in the engine condition that the oil condition). I plan on doing a UOA at each change since it will only be about once a year. The collective results should be informative. Do you have a recommended test lab for the UOAs?

-XP
Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I do like 10w30 grade in synoil, but it is not necessarily the thickness that is the benefit, but the fact that 10w30 has > shear stability, higher TFOUT peformance, etc. Since a synoil 10w30 has plenty of low temp flowability, i do not see any downside to using it, other than a tiny fuel economy/max power theoretical.
Quick question... So why not 5W-30 as opposed to 10w-30 in synoil? (Since the TL calls for 5w-20 that is hard to find in Mobil 1)... Wouldn't it be best to have that better initial flow that the 5 "part" gives you, as well as the better protection that the "30" part gives you?

Simply put, why would you recomend "10" syn over the "5" for the TL... (the 30 "part" not withstanding! LOL)
Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Instructor

I'll try our local Pepboys for the calendar. $15 is a lot better than the Costco price of $23.99 for a box with 6 1 quart bottles!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Sale!

I went to Pep Boys last night. (Thanks to this board)

The MADD calendars were prominantly displayed on the counter just before you reached the cashier. They were marked "$1.00". I checked for the Mobil 1 coupon and they were there with many others. I bought two calendars.

However, I was disappointed at the crappy condition of the stock in the store. The place was messy and low on stock.

I had intended to get twelve quarts of Mobil 1 "Extended Protection" 10W-30 for the price of six. That would cover me for two years. But they didn't have any of the new EP Mobil 1. Since the coupons are good until December 2005, I decided to wait until I could get what I want.

I did buy a couple of quarts of Valvoline Max Life dino juice based on what I have heard here from Road Rage. I am planning on switching my Jeep from dino squeezin's to synthetic Mobil 1. The Jeep has 157,000 miles and is still purring like new with regular oil/filter changes on the 4 cyl. I am considering blending 4 qts of Mobil 1 with one qt of Max Life?

What do you think of that?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Gratis dictum

I am really not sure about the MaxLife dino oil that you purchased. I think what Road Rage was recommending was Max Life engine protector which is an additive and comes in a 15 ounce container. That's what I got anyway.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Red face Oops.

Originally Posted by Repecat
I am really not sure about the MaxLife dino oil that you purchased. I think what Road Rage was recommending was Max Life engine protector which is an additive and comes in a 15 ounce container. That's what I got anyway.
I think you're right. He did say "MLEP". I didn't see that but I got the Max Life oil. Where would I find the 15 oz containers of the other?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I am planning on switching my Jeep from dino squeezin's to synthetic Mobil 1. The Jeep has 157,000 miles and is still purring like new with regular oil/filter changes on the 4 cyl. I am considering blending 4 qts of Mobil 1 with one qt of Max Life?

What do you think of that?
If you don't have any problems at that mileage, why do you want to switch? You are obviously doing something right. If it ain't broke.....

I know if you switch to syn oil with higher mileage vehicles, you may develop problems that you otherwise don't have since the detergents in the syn oil tend to cleanse the gunk that has built up over time resulting in leaks.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Gratis dictum

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I think you're right. He did say "MLEP". I didn't see that but I got the Max Life oil. Where would I find the 15 oz containers of the other?
Xpditor.......I hope this doesn't surprise you but I got the MaxLife MLEP ay Pep Boys. I have also seen it at other, but not all, auto stores. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Out of luck here. My local pep boys are out of the calendar. They are no longer available online either.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Advanced

I called a local Acura dealer to make an appointment for an oil change and the service guy told me that he doesn't recommend synoil until 15,000. He said that it will affect my break-in if I use anything else.

Is this true?

I'm sorry if I sound like a n00b. I wanted to put synoil, but I don't want know who to believe!

I would think the dealer would want us to spend more money. Why would he say that?

Anyways, can you guys tell me when you guys switched to synoil?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
05 TL NBP Navi

Road Rage, I’m with Xpditor and hope to get you to fill out a couple of finer points. But first thanks for your previous posts, I was getting antsy at 1,000 mi when I saw 80% oil life remaining. Your posts saved the day. Everyone if you haven’t already read the Collected Road Rage Journals in the 3G Garage at the top of the first page.

As with wine anything good in moderation must be great in excess. I first changed the oil at 1200 mi, (Havoline Dino with MaxLife MLEP). I plan to change it again w/dino before going synthetic at some ware between 6k-10k. Is it ok to use the MLEP with the 2nd dino change?

Second question, in changing the ATF, ok to leave the front on ramps with the rear wheels down and do a couple of fluid changes, (by replacing the same volume as drained and running the engine while still on the ramps). I had a friend killed when his car fell on him while it was all up on jacks, (Ok the car was on the grass in his front yard and it was raining), but it is still something I try to avoid.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DevTL
Road Rage, I’m with Xpditor and hope to get you to fill out a couple of finer points. But first thanks for your previous posts, I was getting antsy at 1,000 mi when I saw 80% oil life remaining. Your posts saved the day. Everyone if you haven’t already read the Collected Road Rage Journals in the 3G Garage at the top of the first page.

Is it ok to use the MLEP with the 2nd dino change?
Yes, you can safely use MLEP into the 2nd oil change - but I do not recommend using it continuously - it was expressly recommended for the early changers who wanted to dump the factory fill before the MiD called for such action - you obviously got that message clearly, but others with less reading skills or short attention spans have asked whether i said to use it all the time - the answer is NO! The amount of ZDP in MLEP is high, and I think it if it used continously, there is a real risk of having the catalytic give out prematurely. Quality oil additives like Schaeffer's, for example, have tons of ZDP, and that may make sense for racing needs, but as you said, there can be too much of a good thing when considering the best lubricant strategy for daily use cars. MLEP has the amount of molybdenum found in the OE factory fill, but I am not a molyphile, and prefer the proprietary addtives in LE 8130 for my own use. LE 8130 has no moly BTW.

All the Tier1 min and synoils are excellent - no one needs to agonize over their choice of engine oil. I do suggest finding the vis and product that make sense for your use, wallet, OCI, etc, and then stick to it.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:18 PM
05 TL NBP Navi

Thanks mucho G: