Sponsored by:

Steering column clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 12:33 PM
pjp
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had no problems with my TL. I think this is the case for most people. I think the car is great but I do have one gripe. There seems to ge inadequate clearance for your knees at the steering column. Is this just me??. I am 5' 10" with a medium build. My knees do not contact the steering column when entering the car but stikes the column each time I exit. The column is tilted up enough so I can see the top of the blue surround on the speedo through the steering wheel. I have also noticed that I have adjusted (zoomed) the steering wheel out as far as possible (still maintaining 8-10 inches of clearance to the airbag) and it is comfortable for me but I wonder how anybody larger than me (longer legs/arms) fits into this car comfortably. It would seem that with longer legs you would sit further from the steering wheel. Perhaps longer arms compensate for the lack of further zoom. Are these issues with the taller set?:hitit: :hitit:
Old 12-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I'm 5'11" and my knees don't come into contact with the steering column. Could it be that you're sitting too close to the steering wheel?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Advanced

I have the same problem with the steering column whenever exiting the car (not when entering). I like everything else the TL has to offer.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Steering column clearance

That's why we need Power Telescoping Steering Wheel. Most of ppl said it's unnecessary, but it's useful. Most of Luxury vehicles have that.

I hate my valet parking guys adjusting my steering wheel.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:35 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by pjp
II am 5' 10" with a medium build. My knees do not contact the steering column when entering the car but stikes the column each time I exit. The column is tilted up enough so I can see the top of the blue surround on the speedo through the steering wheel. I have also noticed that I have adjusted (zoomed) the steering wheel out as far as possible (still maintaining 8-10 inches of clearance to the airbag) and it is comfortable for me but I wonder how anybody larger than me (longer legs/arms) fits into this car comfortably.
I am a bit over 6'2" and have not noticed this problem at all...maybe it is more related to your seating position...you might consider lowering the seat.

By the way, sitting 8-10" from the wheel seems really really close, right?? I thought it was a minimum of 12" clearance to be safe. For me (being 23) I'm a good 18" from the wheel
Old 12-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Yep. The same here. I'm 6'2", slim/medium build. I've been hitting the steering column when exiting the car every time until I got accustomed to moving my a** and knees in such way that I would "slide" out of the car rather than "step" out.

I have to say, though, that I have this issue with most cars except the ones that have a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel that automatically moves out of the way when you shift to "Park".

TL doesn't have that. It's not a major drag, though. I got used to it after about a month and a few bruises on my knees
Old 12-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Steering column clearance

Originally posted by rets
That's why we need Power Telescoping Steering Wheel. Most of ppl said it's unnecessary, but it's useful. Most of Luxury vehicles have that.

I hate my valet parking guys adjusting my steering wheel.
I mentioned this in another thread and people act like i hurt their feelings over it.
I believe power telescoping&tilt, so the wheel colum slides all the way back and goes up whenever you remove the key from the ignition, would make exiting the car alot easire. If you've never had power telescoping&tilt, then you won't understand.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

csrx,

I was ever so sad about TL not offering Power Telescoping & Tilt steering wheel in Sep. But I still pre-ordered it anyway. 04TL has too much stuff other similar vehicles cannot compete against. It's worth of risking myself having the first year model.

I'll wait for my next car to have this lost feature... :p :p
Old 12-19-2003, 09:09 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by rets
csrx,

I was ever so sad about TL not offering Power Telescoping & Tilt steering wheel in Sep. But I still pre-ordered it anyway. 04TL has too much stuff other similar vehicles cannot compete against. It's worth of risking myself having the first year model.

I'll wait for my next car to have this lost feature... :p :p
One thing that puzzles me is that a 1993 Lexus Gs300 has this feature as standard. 13 years later its not even an option in an Acura.

I felt the same way rets, and totally agree with you. I still ordered an 04TL, which was delivered to me last week, because of all the other stuff it has (other cars in it's class cannot compete with it). I guess I will have to wait for my next car to have this lost feature too