Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky Brakes

I'm curious of something. My 05 TL's brakes do not squeak but I've heard people complain of squeaking and it annoys me when I hear all these busses and vehicles squeak to all hell at a red light.
Heres what I'm thinking.... there is brake a stop squeak compound that can be added between shims and the brake pad backing but back with my old car that didn't help much. I'm highly suspicious that squeaking is really caused by glazed over rotors that have gotten too hot during a high speed stop.
The brake pads are not likely to be doing any vibration with their factory shims in place, that seems to be sufficient to make the contact between the rotor and the caliper solid and secure.
So, for those with brake squeal, please look at your rotors and see if they are "glossy" (shiny) because normally, they are supposed to be dull looking as they come from the factory and when you get a brake job done the rotors are matte finish. It seems logical that a smoother glazed over rotor surface would cause a high pitched squeel when in it comes in contact with the brake pads when you step on the brakes.
I want you guys' input on this, take a look at your rotors if you have brake squeel and tell me what you think....
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Racer

Anyone concerned about squeaky brakes out there?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
I'm curious of something. My 05 TL's brakes do not squeak but I've heard people complain of squeaking and it annoys me when I hear all these busses and vehicles squeak to all hell at a red light.
Heres what I'm thinking.... there is brake a stop squeak compound that can be added between shims and the brake pad backing but back with my old car that didn't help much. I'm highly suspicious that squeaking is really caused by glazed over rotors that have gotten too hot during a high speed stop.
The brake pads are not likely to be doing any vibration with their factory shims in place, that seems to be sufficient to make the contact between the rotor and the caliper solid and secure.
So, for those with brake squeal, please look at your rotors and see if they are "glossy" (shiny) because normally, they are supposed to be dull looking as they come from the factory and when you get a brake job done the rotors are matte finish. It seems logical that a smoother glazed over rotor surface would cause a high pitched squeel when in it comes in contact with the brake pads when you step on the brakes.
I want you guys' input on this, take a look at your rotors if you have brake squeel and tell me what you think....

9 months and only a minor squeek when I first back out in the morning and apply the brakes while in reverse....believe its surface rust on the rotors that dissapears immediately...more noticeable after a rainstorm.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that it means much, but here's what Acura's OwnerLINK web site says about brake squealing...

"Your brakes may sometimes squeal or squeak when you apply them lightly. Do not confuse this with the brake wear indicators. They make a very audible 'screeching.'

"Occasional noise can be caused by the light application of brakes for a prolonged distance before stopping, or from high relative humidity. These are normally temporary and are considered normal brake noises not requiring repair."
Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

Squeaky brakes too

I have an '04 TL automatic. Great car, but the brakes do squeak some. In fact, they are getting more vocal all the time. That and a couple of aggravating rattles, but I am very pleased with the car. What a driving machine !
Old 03-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aging Bull
9 months and only a minor squeek when I first back out in the morning and apply the brakes while in reverse....believe its surface rust on the rotors that dissapears immediately...more noticeable after a rainstorm.
Mine is the SAME WAY. Only in the morning after sitting for a while... Goes away real quick though.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Racer

When I first got the car, the brakes would squeak all the time when lightly braking such as coming up to a stop sign. Find a nice straight road with no traffic and do a few panic stops from 60mph or so. Do not come to a complete stop. Do this a few times to bed the brakes. My brakes have not made a sound since.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Took mine in for an oil change and squeaky brakes last week. They told me the rotors were glazed over and they turned them for me. 2 days later the squeaks were back. Now I'm wondering if the rotors were even glazed.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I have the same issue with my AT '04. squeaky brakes after first driving for 10 mins or so each time i get in the car. Getting louder as time goes by.