Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprint PCS Sony Ericsson T608

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:05 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sprint PCS Sony Ericsson T608

My Review of the Sony Ericsson T608: I have had my SE T608 for several weeks. It is the first SE phone I have had and getting used to it has not been as simple as the Samsung phones I have had in the past.

Reception: Decent - not great, not horrible - average and satisfactory. The sound is good but when using hands free I have been told (only sometimes) it sounds a little metalic or hollow etc. Sounds is not as good with the bluetooth handsfree to the other person but sounds darn good to me from the drivers seat!

Size: The phone is a little bigger than the Samsung I cam from but pretty darn close and the weight is about the same (at least i haven't noticed it being any heavier)

Setup: It was pretty simple to setup - i think it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish including pausing to dig out the actual instructions...

Ease of Use: I don't think this phone is as easy to use as other phones I have had. Its response to input comands is definitely slower than my Samsung. When scrolling to other menus or screens it has a lag that annoys me. Just turing on the "lock keypad" requires several buttons (perhaps I I use it longer I will get so I can do it all blindfolded but right now it is a bother)

Screen: The color screen is hard to read in sunlight. As color screens go I think it is decent but it bugs me. I would just assume have the non-color screens back (use less power and easier to read)

No Flip Feature: I like the flip phones because I carry my phone in my pocket. Even with the keys locked pressing buttons will activate the screen which uses the battery.

No Analog Roam: I have been using Sprint PCS b/c it I need a phone that can roam to analog (for my job I travel to areas that aren't always digitally covered, bummer!). This phone (as well as the other I looked at with other service providers) does NOT have any analog capabilities. Jury is still out for me on this issue whether I can live without it or not. Time will tell.

Bottom line: IMHO this is an average phone. If it were not the only Sprint PCS Bluetooth phone I would not recomend it. I am not crazy about it and except for the hands-free features it offers with the car I probably would not keep it.

Qualifier: Please know about me that I like phones to be VERY simple. I don't like unnecessary features or complexity in cell phones. To me the importanct features are battery life and call/reception quality. I carry a loptop when I travel so I just see my phone as a phone! (perhaps I am a bit of a dinasaur... haha)

Old 03-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Advanced

I have the T608 also and I agree it isn't the best phone I've had, just to find if you have a message you have to use a magnifying glass. But the Handsfree is the best part and would never give that up even if the phone isn't the best. I hope Sprint comes out with more Bluetooth choices in the near future.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Racer

Re: Sprint PCS Sony Ericsson T608

Originally posted by KCTL04
My Review of the Sony Ericsson T608: I have had my SE T608 for several weeks. It is the first SE phone I have had and getting used to it has not been as simple as the Samsung phones I have had in the past.

Reception: Decent - not great, not horrible - average and satisfactory. The sound is good but when using hands free I have been told (only sometimes) it sounds a little metalic or hollow etc. Sounds is not as good with the bluetooth handsfree to the other person but sounds darn good to me from the drivers seat!
Interesting. I switched from a Samsung A500, and I think the SE provides much better reception, better building penetration, with far fewer dropped calls. Maybe it has to do with our coverage areas. I receive better feedback than you do about the quality of my calls from HFL. I guess I'll consider myself lucky on that one.

Size: The phone is a little bigger than the Samsung I cam from but pretty darn close and the weight is about the same (at least i haven't noticed it being any heavier)
Which Samsung did you switch from? I agree that the SE is taller than my A500's folded body (actually the same if you measure to the top of an A500's retracted antenna), but the width is the same, and it's definitely thinner, which to me makes it more pocketable.

Setup: It was pretty simple to setup - i think it took me about 15 minutes from start to finish including pausing to dig out the actual instructions...

Ease of Use: I don't think this phone is as easy to use as other phones I have had. Its response to input comands is definitely slower than my Samsung. When scrolling to other menus or screens it has a lag that annoys me. Just turing on the "lock keypad" requires several buttons (perhaps I I use it longer I will get so I can do it all blindfolded but right now it is a bother)
Try hitting menu, then 1. Two quick, adjacent taps, bingo, it's locked. You're right about the screen lag, but once you hit the two keys, just drop it in your pocket and go.

Screen: The color screen is hard to read in sunlight. As color screens go I think it is decent but it bugs me. I would just assume have the non-color screens back (use less power and easier to read)
All true. Even away from the sun, like when sitting in the car, I can't read it with sunglasses. That can get annoying sometimes.

No Flip Feature: I like the flip phones because I carry my phone in my pocket. Even with the keys locked pressing buttons will activate the screen which uses the battery.
I guess I just got used to that. It used to feel weird. I don't even think about it anymore.

No Analog Roam: I have been using Sprint PCS b/c it I need a phone that can roam to analog (for my job I travel to areas that aren't always digitally covered, bummer!). This phone (as well as the other I looked at with other service providers) does NOT have any analog capabilities. Jury is still out for me on this issue whether I can live without it or not. Time will tell.
Check your settings. Not only does it analog roam, it tells you right on the screen when it's doing it, because analog roaming drains battery life about twice as fast. When I drive down to visit my son in college, the roads I take have no digital coverage at all, and I can place and receive calls the whole way.

Bottom line: IMHO this is an average phone. If it were not the only Sprint PCS Bluetooth phone I would not recomend it. I am not crazy about it and except for the hands-free features it offers with the car I probably would not keep it.
Fortunately for me, I've had a better experience with it. Try that two key sequence to lock it and tell me what you think. Even though the screen does lag, you can go through memorized sequences without waiting and the phone will catch up.

Qualifier: Please know about me that I like phones to be VERY simple. I don't like unnecessary features or complexity in cell phones. To me the importanct features are battery life and call/reception quality. I carry a loptop when I travel so I just see my phone as a phone! (perhaps I am a bit of a dinasaur... haha)
I agree. Although I like this phone more than you, I'm still curious what Sprint's next round of bluetooth models will offer. How's your battery life? Mine was horrible at first, but has improved a great deal after a few charging cycles.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Smile Sony Ericsson T608

Hey KCTL04,

I have been using the T608 primarily in my TL because of the great handsfree link system. It makes using the phone in the car fun. I have a work cellphone that I use when not in the car. I am not however using Sprint PCS. I have unlocked the phone for use on my Verizon account and the reception is far better than the LG phone I was previously using. I have been told that the audio quality on the other end is very good. I left myself a couple of voicemails on my housephone and they sounded clear when played back. I do have to disagree on one point. The T608 does indeed have analog capabilities. The phone is capable of AMPS, CDMA 800 and 1900. In fact I have roamed onto analog networks with this phone. I think the issue might be whether your phone's preferred roaming list (PRL) allows for roaming depending on your network and location. The PRL is what service providers download to your phone's software and dictates what, where and when your phone is allowed to roam off network. I don't have Sprint so I don't know what PRLs they use. A call to Sprint PCS could clear this up for you.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Racer

The most current roaming list (PRL) is 10023. You don't even have to go into the store for it, just call Customer Care. They can send it to your phone over the air.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
8th Gear

Good to know about the Analog - I will get out the manual....

The Sprint person that helped me said they thought it was digital only so that is what I based that statement on. If it has roamed on me I didn't even know it.

So thanks for letting me know.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the T608 in my car at all times. I call forward my regular sporint treo to the car when I get in and cancel when I get out... Its a pain in the butt but until they have a bluetooth enabled Treo it will have to do....

I like the 608.. every now and then the call disconnects after it rings..l you have to say TRANSFER and the call comes back..... thats the only issue I occasionally have.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:23 AM
Racer

mikeradio: pm me with your impressions of the treo. I am looking for a 'smart' phone and am considering the [?hitachi?] g1000 because I have the unlimited vision plan [I love gadgets and features] and I am disappointed that sprint doesnt have better bt phones. I guess I am one of the few people who use the vision capability of the sprint network and I have seen [on verizon] a pocket pc phone used as computer to access the net with very good [better than dialup] speed using the included browser. does the treo do this well too? my sanyo 4900 is decent but after seeing a pocket pc phone it wont do. and I think I can live with just speaker phone if sprint wont add better bt phones.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by digital_b
mikeradio: pm me with your impressions of the treo. I am looking for a 'smart' phone and am considering the [?hitachi?] g1000 because I have the unlimited vision plan [I love gadgets and features] and I am disappointed that sprint doesnt have better bt phones. I guess I am one of the few people who use the vision capability of the sprint network and I have seen [on verizon] a pocket pc phone used as computer to access the net with very good [better than dialup] speed using the included browser. does the treo do this well too? my sanyo 4900 is decent but after seeing a pocket pc phone it wont do. and I think I can live with just speaker phone if sprint wont add better bt phones.
TREO is fantastic... If it had bluetooth it would be PERFECT. Some people do not like the screen resolution, but its fine for me.. Its a PD for crying outloud....

Mike