Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding Ticket Help

This will prob be moved soon. I posted this in General but it did not come up. I got a speeding tix saturday at about 3:30 am (69 in a 55) Tix is $92 but I am not sure if this comes with points? If it does, I have heard that the points do not transfer out of state. I live in PA. I was cited in NJ. Can any one help me out? If the points will show up I will go to court to see if i can get the judge to knock them off since this is my first speeding tix in 3 years. Please help!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Royal Flush

I am not sure if their DMV records are connected. I am almost positive NJ and NY's are. Either way, it would be in your interest to plea bargain that speeding ticket to a lesser offense. A stain on your record like speeding could ultimately cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars over the next several years in car insurance costs depending on your driving record. Plea it down if you can, unless you like wasting money on raised insurance rates.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I sell insurance for a living that is why I want to get the answer to this. I know how the rates are. I dont know what I could plea it down to though.....1-9mph over the speed limit which drops the tix by $10
Old 08-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Instructor

take traffic school (if applicable)

can't you offer to go to traffic school to take the points off your record
this is the way we do it in California so I'm not sure if this is an option at your end
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

In New York all tickets from the tri state area show up (Jersy, New York, Conn.)
It might be the same for U.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Advanced

I can't help you with the points but i can concur with being pulled over. We took delivery out of state saturday of our new TL. It was a short car ride home just over an hour so my husband decided to sleep a bit right before we came into our hometown. He'd been after me to slow it down i was pushing 85-90 off and on just not realizing my speed (paying attention). Anyways just as we came into our county there sat a city in the median. O man i knew i'd been caught i just saw the sign say 45 and i was not going 45. I tapped my dh on the knee to wake him up and pulled over. Of course i was told i was doing 69 in a 45. He was really nice and asked me about the car if it was new. DUH look at the tag. Anyways, i smiled and said yeah guess i was enjoying it alittle to much. After he ran my DL he realized i was not wanted so he said he was gonna write me a warning and back the speed to something lower so his boss would'nt get upset for not ticketing me. Then he questioned me about that SCREEN on the dash and i showed it to him breifly and he complimented the car and said have a nice day. I don't know why i'm sharing this but i did. I hope your okay with your points on your license and sorry about my silly story on your thread. :sqnteek:
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
oh, so that's what that smilie is for, tammy. Just kidding, it was a good story and I am very happy you just got a warning ticket. Hate to have you remember that you got your TL and a big speeding ticket the same day. Enjoy.
Ron
Old 08-03-2004, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Fight It!

The great thing about this situation is that you live in America and you are entitled to your day in court! You never know what might happen when you get to your court day. You might get lucky, but you won't get that chance if you don't go. Try this website for preparation needs http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/ . I've used it before and have gotten out of 3 of my last 4 tickets! The one was rediced to "Improper Equipment" with a $50 fine. Usually, they just want the money, especially if your record is clean. The last tactic I used was the "Ask for an extension of the Court Date" trick. The Cop didn't show....
Old 08-03-2004, 05:18 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to go to the court in advance to see how various cases are handled. Most times it's very routine depending upon the charge. You may also have the option of probation before judgement (PBJ) so that you can avoid some fines if you don't have another incident in several years. In that case I think you just pay the fine.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

The fine I am not too concerned about, it is the points and insurance that I am . Anyone from PA here that has been ticketed in NJ? Plus I dont know if there is a certain overage on speed where points pick up?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Racer

I'd get a lawyer and get the thing reduced irrespective of whether the points transfer. In fact, you should be getting several solicitations from attorneys in NJ.....NJ has a public docket system where attorneys can see who is charged with traffic infractions, so they usually mail you something offering to help out for a fee. A friend of mine who got ticketed for speeding in NJ retained a lawyer for $300.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I'm clueless when it comes to this, but why the heck would you pay an attorney their fees for getting you out of a $92 speeding ticket?

I just recently was clocked doing 63 in a 35 and I never thought once of fighting it or disputing it. If you were speeding, then suck it up and pay your fine and suffer all the other consequences of it.

That's one problem with today's society, nobody ever thinks they are in the wrong and always wants to "get out" of everything. I was speeding and I knew I was speeding. I was caught and I paid my fine and now have the points to show for it.

I'm not dismissing that it sucks to get a speeding ticket and pay the fine and perhaps risk having your insurance premiums go up, but if you were speeding then you were speeding.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:31 AM
SOLD

Well I'm not sure if it's the same for every state, but here in CO that would be a 4-6 point ticket...as long as you are polite to the cop, the DA will usually reduce it. Probably to 2-4 points since you haven't had a ticket in awhile. I know that here, the cop BARELY ever shows up unless it's a state trooper., which strengthens your chances of reducing. I was once caught going 82 in a 55 and claimed I did not see a speed posting and thought it was 65. Turned out to only get 3 points against my license, could have been 6. Another time, got caught going 11 over and cop only gave me a one point ticket for defective vehicle and 50 dollar fine. It all depends on how the situation is handled. Tell the DA or whoever you talk to that you just got this car a short while ago, it is powerful and you made a mistake. I'm not sure if it would be worht the fee and hassle of getting a lawyer.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tripp11
Maybe I'm clueless when it comes to this, but why the heck would you pay an attorney their fees for getting you out of a $92 speeding ticket?

I just recently was clocked doing 63 in a 35 and I never thought once of fighting it or disputing it. If you were speeding, then suck it up and pay your fine and suffer all the other consequences of it.

That's one problem with today's society, nobody ever thinks they are in the wrong and always wants to "get out" of everything. I was speeding and I knew I was speeding. I was caught and I paid my fine and now have the points to show for it.

I'm not dismissing that it sucks to get a speeding ticket and pay the fine and perhaps risk having your insurance premiums go up, but if you were speeding then you were speeding.
People generally don't pay an attorney to avoid a $92 fine. They pay for an attorney to get the ticket reduced (or dismissed), the primary result of which is to reduce the impact of any insurance rate increases. It also helps in getting future reductions if you were to get another speeding ticket, and may save your license if points pile up.

Charges are reduced for all kinds of crimes, including minor traffic violations, because the DAs don't have time to prosecute everyone on the original charge; it's how our criminal justice system works.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by soljc
Charges are reduced for all kinds of crimes, including minor traffic violations, because the DAs don't have time to prosecute everyone on the original charge; it's how our criminal justice system works.
If people wouldn't dispute a speeding ticket when they were truly speeding, then perhaps "our" criminal justice system would work a bit more efficiently and effectively.

I'm sorry, it sucks to have to pay a speeding ticket and risk the increased insurance premiums, but nobody forced me to speed. It was MY choice and I knew what the consequences were if I were caught.

Maybe our justice system would be better served if people just took on the responsibility of their own actions instead of always looking for a way out.

On this, we can agree to disagree I believe.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:30 AM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

I have gotten two major speeding tickets our of my Licensed state that ive had to go to court for. One was for endangerment of life and property by going 85 in a 55, anyway, neither of them ever got back to my record or my insurance...I just went to court and paid the tickets
Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Tripp I agree with you but he said I was going 69 in a 55 at 3:30am in the morning in a beach town where all they were doing were seeing if people were drunk. That is what I am ticked about. I looked at my speedometer when I passed the cop and it was at 65 in a 55. I did not feel that I was going an excessive speed at this time of night. I just think he was kind of bummed that I was not drunk so he just decided to give me a tix. So I am a little salty!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

I know you're asking from a PA licensed driver's perspective so I don't know if this helps much, but I racked up a few tickets in PA a while back (10yrs) as a NJ licensed driver and my insurance company never found out. I didn't fight any of the tickets and just paid them as they were due. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

My wife just contacted the judiciary system or something in NJ and they said that between state to state-points do not transfer. Awesome! Thanks for all of your comments!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Racer

Fight it! Don't pay it unless you absolutely have to. The fine aside, which is relatively minor, why line the insurance company's pocket with additional $$$? The true winner IS the insurance company- they will raise your rates without batting an eye. They LOVE it when their insured motorists are ticketed for speeding.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally Posted by coop1018
Tripp I agree with you but he said I was going 69 in a 55 at 3:30am in the morning in a beach town where all they were doing were seeing if people were drunk. That is what I am ticked about. I looked at my speedometer when I passed the cop and it was at 65 in a 55. I did not feel that I was going an excessive speed at this time of night. I just think he was kind of bummed that I was not drunk so he just decided to give me a tix. So I am a little salty!
Oh, I was salty when I forked over the $160 (or thereabouts) for my ticket too, and I was salty when I got pulled over at 5:30 a.m. on my way into work when I was one of about three cars on the road that particular morning. Plus, I was salty when the car on the outside was going just as fast as me but he picked me instead of the other driver.

I looked at my speedo right when I spotted him and I was doing every bit of what he said. I played the game and I lost that particular morning - so I bent over and paid my fine.

Coop, I'm sympathizing with you, that's for sure. Oh well, at least it sounds as if no points will go on your record and your insurance won't find out either. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Team Anthracite Member

They won't drop the dollars, but just by showing up and talking with the prosecutor, you can almost always cut the points in half or dropped all together. Always, always go and fight the tickets!

Good Luck.

Well I sell insurance for a living that is why I want to get the answer to this. I know how the rates are. I dont know what I could plea it down to though.....1-9mph over the speed limit which drops the tix by $10
Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Just saw this - after I posted. Cool. So if I want to race then I will go to PA and laugh at the cops!!

Just kiding!

That is great news, Insurance rates are too high already.

My wife just contacted the judiciary system or something in NJ and they said that between state to state-points do not transfer. Awesome! Thanks for all of your comments!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is what I'd do . . .

1. First find out if the points transfer
2. If they do, I'd go to court. In my experience, if you show up in court, they'll knock off
the points, but you'll still need to pay the fine. FYI, I live in Pittsburgh, and this strategy
has worked for my husband about 5 times!

Rachel
Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

no points.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselNJ
I know you're asking from a PA licensed driver's perspective so I don't know if this helps much, but I racked up a few tickets in PA a while back (10yrs) as a NJ licensed driver and my insurance company never found out. I didn't fight any of the tickets and just paid them as they were due. Hope everything works out.
I don't believe that's the case any longer. NJ now charges 2 points for any out of state moving violation, as long as it's from one of the states participating in the National Driver License Compact (only states that aren't are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin). But most states don't assess points for out-of-state violations. BTW, for thos e of you in New York, your state doesn't assess points for out-of-state violations. But they do, by law, assess points for violations in Quebec and Ontario -- go figure.