Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A SPEC Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A SPEC Question

I went in today to buy a new TL and have them put the A SPEC kit on it. I asked if I was going to be able to keep my original wheels, tires and steering wheel. They all looked at me like I was crazy. They said no.
I kinda pushed to keep it, but they said no.
Anyone get to keep there stuff.
Also I alsed if the A SPEC kit was covered under the Acura Warranty. I got a yes and a no.
Anyone no this answer.
Picking her up next week.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:15 AM
SSgt, USAF

ahh, NO... you don't keep the original stuff. You get the A-Spec right of the bat (as I did) and you will just the A-Spec parts.

BTW, while you still can. I'd suggest reconsidering the Yokohama AVS tires (which will come on your A-Spec wheels), and opt to maybe pay a couple of hundred $ more to get Michelin Pilots on. They will last MUCH longer and will provide the handling AND they won't be as loud as Yokos

I've regreted not doing that ever since I got the car. Yokos are extremely loud, and have been that way since about 3,000 miles

And if the kit was installed by the Dealer (and you have the additional insert in your manual to prove that), then it IS covered under warranty
Old 12-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Advanced

What is the model of Michelin, I was looking for them on the Michelin website.
Thanks for the advice. They will be putting the car together on Monday. I'll call to see how much for the tires.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:03 AM
SSgt, USAF

I'd recommend going with Michelin Pilot A/S. They are sporty enough, and at the same time they are quiet and last a long time
Old 12-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I got to keep the original 17" wheels and tires.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Instructor

I think that's total crap that they are not letting you keep your original equipment that came with the car. I mean you're paying for the original wheels, and then you're paying again for the A-Spec wheels, why shouldn't you keep the originals? You already own them!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nautica91
I think that's total crap that they are not letting you keep your original equipment that came with the car. I mean you're paying for the original wheels, and then you're paying again for the A-Spec wheels, why shouldn't you keep the originals? You already own them!

word. i thought that was a given.

think about it this way, what if you bought the car w/o it. and bought the ASPEC kit later separately. The price for the kit should be the same. but this time you have the original parts to keep.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Advanced

Well I'm buying the car for $37650, which ,makes the ASPEC about $5K or less installed.
Here's a kicker. I stoppped by the VW dealer and drove a new 06 3.6L 280hp Passat.
WooooW was that thing hot. Anyone checked it out. My Wife thinks I'm crazy to want a VW over an Acura, but the Passat was real nice.
I gave the dealer $500 to start putting the car together, I might call him Monday to hold it so I can check out the Passat again.
Dam, too many choices.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by bothfly
Well I'm buying the car for $37650, which ,makes the ASPEC about $5K or less installed.
Here's a kicker. I stoppped by the VW dealer and drove a new 06 3.6L 280hp Passat.
WooooW was that thing hot. Anyone checked it out. My Wife thinks I'm crazy to want a VW over an Acura, but the Passat was real nice.
I gave the dealer $500 to start putting the car together, I might call him Monday to hold it so I can check out the Passat again.
Dam, too many choices.

I would never have another VW even if someone gave one....in this area no one knows how to fix them and their parts are very very expensive. I had to drive 30 miles just to find someone that had a battery for the car. Stay away from a VW.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Got Pearl?

Dam, too many choices.

ummm why don't u say forget about the a-spec and buy it online and sell your wheels and parts on ebay? Of course you still have to install the kit...but, it maybe something for you to check into.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:46 AM
tTLiang

i got stock 17" + tires, oem steering wheel, oem shocks + springs back because they are mine. i paid for them. they did not give you discount when you buy A-spec did they? i paid about 37000 installed with Navi. oem stuff is quick $$$ on ebay. they basically just took whatever discount they gave you right back by keeping "your" stuff. go back and get them. they are yours.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they're keeping your oem parts, then your stealership just raped you!!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry bud, you got screwed. You should have hammered that out ahead of time, but then again, that's pretty shady of that dealership not to give it back to you (though, it is NOT uncommon).

Many of us (like me) bought a stock TL and purchased all the A-spec parts online and either installed it ourselves or had a 3rd party install it. Then many of us sold our 17" rims and tires and some of the stock components.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flvol77
I would never have another VW even if someone gave one....in this area no one knows how to fix them and their parts are very very expensive. I had to drive 30 miles just to find someone that had a battery for the car. Stay away from a VW.
Nice looking VW, however I wouldnt pay anything near 40k for that car with those features.

Sort of like a 40k Pontiac.

I dont think they will sell like they'd like them to in that price segment.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

If they aren't going to give them back to you then I'd reconsider using that dealership.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Shift_faster

They should give it back to you. The cost of the A-Spec just doubled if you are giving back your new stock wheels, the steering wheel, tires, and side skirts. That should be considered to be yours.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
信是寶

I went in today to buy a new TL and have them put the A SPEC kit on it. I asked if I was going to be able to keep my original wheels, tires and steering wheel. They all looked at me like I was crazy. They said no.
Also I alsed if the A SPEC kit was covered under the Acura Warranty. I got a yes and a no.
Anyone no this answer.
That is total BS. You paid for it ... you should have been firm about that before making the deal and then walked out if they still gave you static.

Do you want all the aspec parts?!? I pieced mine together after buying the car, just got the shocks, tires and lip spoiler.

I like to have the old wheels, since I mount winter tires on there and switch them when the snow comes.

Your dealer is dicking you over - totally uncool!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Dam, too many choices.
You ARE crazy.
I traded my 2003 passat in for the TL because it was always broke, and serious broke, not just annoying things.
VW is rated 34th out of 37 brands for reliability.
They make fantastic cars, I like the older style better, but the new cars handle well and the motors are stronger.
But you would have to be mad to buy a brand new model the first year out, with the brand new direct injection motor, from a company with such a poor record.

Troll the VW vortex and see how many people with 2 year old cars have worn out fuel pumps (last count was 30), bad abs computers ($1600.00), bad suspension parts, water damage inside the car, bad sensors, etc.

My fuel pump went at 27,000 miles, the electrical system inside the car was shot, the computers are under the rugs, and got filled with water for some unknown reason, engine temp sensors failed, evap solinoid failed (engine wont start after getting gas), the evap system had another leak that set the check engine light off, the transmission had alarms from the water damage inside the car, and to top it off, the local dealer service was worthless, high school drop outs who knew very little about cars, could never fix anything, always had the car for 4 days, no loaner cars, etc.
I took a $15,000.00 bath to dump that car, and would NEVER get another VW.

If you go with the Passat, do a 2 year lease, in 2 years you may have many problems, but can look forward to getting rid of it before it gets impossable to deal with.
I wish I had done that...

Brett
Old 12-11-2005, 06:26 PM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by Brettg
You ARE crazy.
I traded my 2003 passat in for the TL because it was always broke, and serious broke, not just annoying things.
VW is rated 34th out of 37 brands for reliability.
They make fantastic cars, I like the older style better, but the new cars handle well and the motors are stronger.
But you would have to be mad to buy a brand new model the first year out, with the brand new direct injection motor, from a company with such a poor record.

Troll the VW vortex and see how many people with 2 year old cars have worn out fuel pumps (last count was 30), bad abs computers ($1600.00), bad suspension parts, water damage inside the car, bad sensors, etc.

My fuel pump went at 27,000 miles, the electrical system inside the car was shot, the computers are under the rugs, and got filled with water for some unknown reason, engine temp sensors failed, evap solinoid failed (engine wont start after getting gas), the evap system had another leak that set the check engine light off, the transmission had alarms from the water damage inside the car, and to top it off, the local dealer service was worthless, high school drop outs who knew very little about cars, could never fix anything, always had the car for 4 days, no loaner cars, etc.
I took a $15,000.00 bath to dump that car, and would NEVER get another VW.

If you go with the Passat, do a 2 year lease, in 2 years you may have many problems, but can look forward to getting rid of it before it gets impossable to deal with.
I wish I had done that...

Brett
I'm just wondering how come my friends' VW have never got any problem?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:29 PM
mio
Police

Anyone no this answer.
Well, u paid extra money for the a-spec, they should give u the original parts...

coz u paid for those original parts too... (that is nothing to do with the discount they gave to u.)
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mio
They likely dont tell you.
Not everyone has bad luck, but plenty of people have serious problems.

In the last 2 years, the Passat has had:
Coil pack failures, a LOT of cars had them fail, VW did a slow recall,
1.8T oil sludge, many people have ruined their motors,
Fuel pump failures on 2003 year cars,

In the past, front suspension wearing out very early, water pump failures (plastic impellers), water damage inside the car, coolant temp sensor failures, abs ecu failures, timing belt tensoner failures, engine oil leaks, high oil use on the V6 engine, the list never ends.

On the B6, the electtronic parking brake seems to be an early weak point, along
with random failures of other parts.

Brett
Old 12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Advanced

I was able to keep my original parts as well, you're getting screwed....also you probably could have gotten a better deal...I paid 35.8.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by mio
he's telling the truth. i know a guy who used to work for a VW dealership in NJ as a manager for 2 years. he said problems day in and day out over time were unbelievable. he finally quit and now works for honda. he said 300+ new honda cars/mo sell at his small dealership is not without reasons.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

I got the original rims and tires. I said no to the steering wheel. I could have pushed for the other original parts (the shocks, etc). The A-spec is a kit. When you buy the car you get what comes with it. When you put the A-spec they add it to YOUR car. The parts are yours.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Advanced

guys, thanks very much for the info on the VW. I did some checking myself and I have to agree. It's not the car to get, at this point. But I did like it.
Ok, back to the TL. I need to give my sales guy a call this morning, I'm also thinking of calling Acura CS and asking them about me keeping the tires/wheel/wheels. I have another offer from a different dealer in town for the same price. I might call him and ask him if I was going to keep my stuff. BTW, how much do you think the tires/wheels/steering wheel is worth?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes, VW makes fantastic cars that some people might really want to own (like me), but they can be nothing but problems..

Figure $120.00 a tire, $200.00 a rim?, no idea about the steering wheel...

They would love to keep the parts I bet, they can make a lot of money off that stuff. If the car comes with them, and they take the parts off and put the parts you buy on, you should get the original parts unless they pay you for them (credit).
Go to another dealer and price a wheel and tire, and a steering wheel and find
out the true cost is.

Dealers love to confuse the issue, figure out the invoice price of the basic car,
then the kit, the instalation chages, and the old parts cost, and drive a hard bargan.

Brett
Old 12-12-2005, 10:13 AM
tTLiang

guys, thanks very much for the info on the VW. I did some checking myself and I have to agree. It's not the car to get, at this point. But I did like it.
Ok, back to the TL. I need to give my sales guy a call this morning, I'm also thinking of calling Acura CS and asking them about me keeping the tires/wheel/wheels. I have another offer from a different dealer in town for the same price. I might call him and ask him if I was going to keep my stuff. BTW, how much do you think the tires/wheels/steering wheel is worth?
Please don't "ASK", "INSIST".

think about this for a second. you can buy a bone stock TL and drive it off the lot. come back tomorrow and buy A-spec kit + install with the same a-spec price (covered by the same acura warranty anyway). what freaking ground do they have to claim your wheels and stuff? THEY ARE YOURS!!!! YOU PAID FOR THEM ON THE FIRST DAY!!!! nuff said.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

You paid for it, therefore you should keep it.

When I bought my TL, I had them put the A-Spec on before I drove the car off the lot. I mentioned to the dealer that I wanted the stock parts that they took off. I went back the next day and picked up the wheels, tires, steering wheel, suspension and side skirts. You ABSOLUTELY should get all stock parts back since you paid for them in the initial price of the car.