3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"A-Spec Lite"? What Mods Can Acura Do Short Of an Actual A-Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"A-Spec Lite"? What Mods Can Acura Do Short Of an Actual A-Spec?

Disclaimer: 39 year old dad here, looking for some basic info to enhance the handling on the TL strictly for an occassional curve and weekend fun and not any aggressive / competitive type driving. That said....

I didn't buy an A-Spec because:

1. Didn't like the extra plastic on the nose / tail / fenders and didn't want to pay for it.

2. Didn't like the 18" alloys and didn't want to lose winter traction.

3. Bembro brakes don't mean anything to me.

What I'd like to do to increase handling would include:

1. Lowering the car.

2. Better tires.

Besides these two, what other modifications would you recommend Acura do for me so that I can get the lowered look and increased handling? I won't do anything outside of Acura (leased car, under warranty) and I want to keep the existing alloys because I like the look. Is there an "A-Spec Lite" menu you guys could recommend to me that would take the best of the handling mods without being married to expensive rims / ground effects / steering wheel trim / etc? Shocks? Suspension? Help!

TIA
Old 03-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Brembo don't mean anything? Sorry, but that is the most important option you can possibly do the the TL to improve its handling. Nothing is better than those big 4 pistons clamping down on those 12" disk's.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The full A-spec 5AT has provisions for "high performance" brake pads. The 131 feet 60-0 stopping distance of the standard brakes would be just adequate for normal and slightly spirited driving. I would seriously consider this inexpensive upgrade if you can get a hold of these Acura specified pads should you do the suspension upgrade. You can never have enough braking power especially if you decide to take some back road curves on the weekend.

dsc888
Old 04-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No reason to do everything at once. I think the starting point is tires. If you need more improvement, springs could be next. There are several happy Eibach and Comptech owners in this forum. I like integrated suspension kits and I'm sure Tein and others will come out with one before too long. I'm sure there are more aggressive pads available for the 5AT brakes - not Brembos but better than stock.

Of course, the ultimate end to this road is "A-spec" or equivalent if you don't stop somewhere along the way! :lol2:
Old 04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops...forgot to mention that you may be able to change out the rear swaybar on the 5AT for the thicker, therefore stiffer, one on the 6MT. You will need the bushings that go along with them too. The upgrade should be relative inexpensive and will make the car more neutral to the point where you may get a little oversteer effect while cornering aggressively. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Thanks guys.....point taken on the brakes; I'll consider them.

What components would be included in dropping the car? According to Car & Driver, Acura drops the A-Spec about an inch.....does that include the stiff rear sway bar, springs, shocks, etc?

Is there perhaps a link to a website that lists every modification that Acura does to convert the car over so I can choose which ones I need and don't?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Advanced

Go to Road and Track and read the feature on the ASPEC.

The most important things you will be missing by not buying ASPEC is the tuned suspension (dropped car, stiffer springs back, softer forward).

You can get tires seperate (which you wont get), and everything else is aero or cosmetic. New steering wheel comes with ASPEC but you can't get that separate.

So, you are on your own lowering the car. Acura will not do that unless you ASPEC it...much like BMW or others, wont do major suspension or sport upgrades unless you buy a "package".

But if you start with brakes from Acura, and high performance tires from Acura on 17" platform, you are making steps. You may be out of luck on the suspension aspect since it is a lease.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by bktabinga
Go to Road and Track and read the feature on the ASPEC.

The most important things you will be missing by not buying ASPEC is the tuned suspension (dropped car, stiffer springs back, softer forward).

Acura will not do that unless you ASPEC it...much like BMW or others, wont do major suspension or sport upgrades unless you buy a package.

Ah, well that ends that then.

If Acura won't do the tuned suspension portion only for me then I'm out of luck.

Thanks bktabinga.....

BJ
Old 04-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Racer

Not true. They are lowering my car tomorrow..
Old 04-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by boltjames
Thanks guys.....point taken on the brakes; I'll consider them.

What components would be included in dropping the car? According to Car & Driver, Acura drops the A-Spec about an inch.....does that include the stiff rear sway bar, springs, shocks, etc?

Is there perhaps a link to a website that lists every modification that Acura does to convert the car over so I can choose which ones I need and don't?
Go with the Comptech springs as they only lower 1" as well and will keep the ride quality very close to stock. Also upgrade the rubber.. it makes a huge difference with handling. Personally I wouldn't use the A-spec as a guide. i would just use the aftermarket options at your disposal to setup the car how you want it.... and once you get to that point.. stop.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

thanks juniorbean- I'm leasing the car, so I really feel compelled to go with Acura service......are the Competch springs offered by Acura service?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Racer

Yes... They are.. They are putting mine on tomorrow....
Old 04-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Thanks Michael....are you going with new tires or keeping the stock 17's?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Racer

Actually, I have been having a very difficult time looking for wheels and tires. Can't seem to pick out the right ones. Not impressed with some of the pictures I have seen of the A-SPEC OEM or other after market rims.
I plan on keeping the 17 inch rims and tires as is. Once I get new rims and performance tires I will switch them for the seasons.
We have had it pretty rough this year.
I have seen the ASPEC on Anthracite and they look sharp.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

sticky tires, that will be a world of difference if you really want to increase performance. either get a set of tires for the summer or get a set of rims and tires. i suggest getting another set of rims and tires just because having to have different set of tires mounted every year is a pain. since you don't care about big rims. you can get a set of lightweight 17 inch rims. The stock is 24lbs, there are 17 inch rims that weight in at about 16-17 lbs. this will save you 7-8lbs at each corner. less unsprung weight = better acceleration. that with the sticky tires and the car will carve. the suspension is decent already but you can opt for the comptech springs which will tighten it a bit. i personally wouldn't mess with it but you can adjust the camber as well to get maximum handling on turns.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:30 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

caball- Just spoke to my Acura dealers' service manager and he's faxing me a list of every a-la carte A-Spec option he can put on the car. He mentioned to me that for $800 parts / $500 labor he could lower the car, put on the struts, and put on the springs from the A-Spec *but* warned me that the ride would be noticeably harsher. You get great tightness in turning and steering but there's a massive (his word) tradeoff in ride....it's noisier and more bumpy. Is that true?
Old 04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Didn't notice a bit of difference...

my cautious word of warning to you...i have been told repeatedly by Acura officials that dealers are not to sell individual APSEC parts unique to the package, i.e. shocks, springs, brembo brake pads for Auto, steering wheel.

If he is legit, then cool, but it goes with the company wide policy, say you don't live in NY, and you come around Virginia to our dealership, if your springs break, they will not cover them, why, you don't have the ASPEC package, how could you have got them covered under warranty???

I tested them and not only would they not sell it individually, they mentioned the mentioned reasons.

If he is legit, then cool, but just ask questions and make sure its not some random suspension he is putting on.

Like I said, my ride is NOT noticably harsh, its stiffer, but I feel safe enough to put my 1monther in the backseat.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:19 PM

The A-spec package is light. A lighter than light package???
Old 04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

1sickex:

A-Spec Full Edition: Suspension, Brakes, Struts, Springs, Alloy's, Steering Wheel, Tires, Silver Sticky Badge.

A-Spec Lite Edition: Suspension, Struts, Springs, Aftermarket Sticky Badge.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Disclaimer: 39 year old dad here, looking for some basic info to enhance the handling on the TL strictly for an occassional curve and weekend fun and not any aggressive / competitive type driving. That said....

I didn't buy an A-Spec because:

1. Didn't like the extra plastic on the nose / tail / fenders and didn't want to pay for it.

2. Didn't like the 18" alloys and didn't want to lose winter traction.

3. Bembro brakes don't mean anything to me.

What I'd like to do to increase handling would include:

1. Lowering the car.

2. Better tires.

Besides these two, what other modifications would you recommend Acura do for me so that I can get the lowered look and increased handling? I won't do anything outside of Acura (leased car, under warranty) and I want to keep the existing alloys because I like the look. Is there an "A-Spec Lite" menu you guys could recommend to me that would take the best of the handling mods without being married to expensive rims / ground effects / steering wheel trim / etc? Shocks? Suspension? Help!

TIA
Brembos aren't part of A-spec.

Lowering the car slightly has less of an impact on "handling" than the fact that the lower springs are STIFFER. And those stiffer springs are accompanied by matching shocks.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Go with the Comptech springs as they only lower 1" as well and will keep the ride quality very close to stock. Also upgrade the rubber.. it makes a huge difference with handling. Personally I wouldn't use the A-spec as a guide. i would just use the aftermarket options at your disposal to setup the car how you want it.... and once you get to that point.. stop.
The main problem with the OEM suspension is the SHOCKS - they are woefully inadequate.

Comptech springs are significantly stiffer than the OEM springs; the car would easily bottom out (due to less suspension travel) unless the lower springs were stiffer. The car will therefore rise harder (and be even more under-damped) if you install lowering springs (and use the OEM shocks).

Most authorities on this subject recommend replacing OEM shocks before touching the springs.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:33 PM

1sickex:

A-Spec Full Edition: Suspension, Brakes, Struts, Springs, Alloy's, Steering Wheel, Tires, Silver Sticky Badge.

A-Spec Lite Edition: Suspension, Struts, Springs, Aftermarket Sticky Badge.
So a full edition added a steering wheel, some tires you can buy and a badge. That is :clown: (no gay smilie here).
A light edtion, dude just add some Eibach springs/KYB shocks. I am assuming Comptech will make sways. Sways will make the car feel much tighter in corners and the car will be more solid. The car will drive smaller. Springs and shocks keep the car planted to the ground, eliminating any bounciness.

Your in the right direction. Always change springs/shocks the same time. The TL aftermarket has always been limited. If they may STBs front and rear and LSBs, that will help too. (strut tower bars, lower suspension brace)
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM

And tires make a HUGE difference in handing on ANY car. S03s, AVS sports and the new Eagle F-1 are the best but very expensive. You will notice the difference.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

how much lower do you want this car? You should just take the wheels off and drag it around
Old 04-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

As low as the break in Aaron Boone's ankle. Yeah. That'll do it.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Team Camel Executive VP