A-Spec Install - how long should it take??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004 | 03:22 PM
VTEC HoooA

A-Spec Install - how long should it take??

So after MONTHS of waiting my car arrived at the dealership last night. I got a brief moment with her before handing the keys back for the A-Spec installation. I was advised that I could pickup the car mid afternoon the next day (today) as you can see it is 4:22 here now and guess what it is not done! I am now being told that this will take ANOTHER day to install..which is seriously pissing me off. I don't want to rush the job but at the same time I don't think it should take 2 days!! I certainly hope they don't have jackass on the job training going on for this install. I was advised that they needed to remove the interior to install the suspension???? I can possibly understand having to remove the trunk liner to get to the rear struts, but the interior I certainly hope this is not the case!!!!

I really wish this could be ordered from the factory as it would lessen the chance to mess up the vehicle! This is my first experience with Acura service....so far not impressed!!

I am starting to think that the A-Spec was a mistake......can anyone ease my anxiety??
Old 07-01-2004 | 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Nothing to worry about -- you're just excited to get your new ride.. the A-spec is WELL worth the wait... i absolutely love the way my car looks in comparison to a) other cars on the road, and b) other TL's...

check out my site: www.cardomain.com/id/peterubers

I installed the bodykit myself, and that took about 5 hours working w/ my little brother. The rims are just slapped on (given that the tires are mounted, balanced)

The suspension probably takes about 3 hours, and then they need to align the car .. another 1 hour... and then the steering wheel .. another hour.

They probably have the younger tech working on most of the process.. it doesn't take the lead master technician/mechanic to do this work ..
Old 07-01-2004 | 04:38 PM
Shift_faster

Nodoze:

Two days might be reasonable. I recently had my rear seat replaced and my dealership was having trouble reinstalling the rear seat. They apparently lost a clip for it. They kept it at the dealership for two days while I drove around a 160hp RSX.

About taking apart the interior, I believe they mean they will need to take off the rear seat in order to install the springs/shocks for the A-Spec package. Also they will replace the standard steering wheel with a thicker, blue-stitched A-Spec wheel. I think that is the extent of the modification to the interior.

You don't have anything to worry about (IMO) in terms of the rear seat removal and installation, just make sure that when you get the car back the seat is tightly placed, because there is only clip that is an SOB to take out and to put back in. The dealership could get lazy in that instance. Either way, in most cases it should be fine.

Let us know how everything works out and how you like the A-Spec package. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:32 PM
VTEC HoooA

Thanks for the responses!! They called me 2 hours later and advised it was complete! I didn't pick it up though due to rain and the fact that it was not detailed. I want to thoroughly inspect the body of the car in the daylight before taking delivery!!

The long wait is almost over I cannot WAIT to take this thing home!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:13 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Thanks for the responses!! They called me 2 hours later and advised it was complete! I didn't pick it up though due to rain and the fact that it was not detailed. I want to thoroughly inspect the body of the car in the daylight before taking delivery!!

The long wait is almost over I cannot WAIT to take this thing home!
Good idea. Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:26 PM
VTEC HoooA

Thanks Aegir....your pics have helped me through the long wait!

Today a 99 Civic Si
Tomorrow 04 TL 6MT Navi A-Spec

Just wanted to say thanks for posting those pics!!!
Old 07-01-2004 | 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Nothing to worry about -- you're just excited to get your new ride.. the A-spec is WELL worth the wait... i absolutely love the way my car looks in comparison to a) other cars on the road, and b) other TL's...

I installed the bodykit myself, and that took about 5 hours working w/ my little brother. The rims are just slapped on (given that the tires are mounted, balanced)

The suspension probably takes about 3 hours, and then they need to align the car .. another 1 hour... and then the steering wheel .. another hour.

They probably have the younger tech working on most of the process.. it doesn't take the lead master technician/mechanic to do this work ..
I thought the kit was a dealer ONLY install. Are they(dealers) now selling them after the sale of the car? I didn't think Acura did that.
Old 07-02-2004 | 07:38 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by 92NSX
I thought the kit was a dealer ONLY install. Are they(dealers) now selling them after the sale of the car? I didn't think Acura did that.
My dealer has installed a few after the sale of the car, when the owner decided he/she wanted it done after living with the car for a few months. Not sure if this is the case with Nodoze.
Old 07-02-2004 | 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
My dealer has installed a few after the sale of the car, when the owner decided he/she wanted it done after living with the car for a few months. Not sure if this is the case with Nodoze.
Thanks !! I only ask because I'm close to getting a TL and don't want to pay for the A-Spec package up front.
Old 07-02-2004 | 09:37 PM
VTEC HoooA

Well a brief update for any and all who are interested....

They did everything EXCEPT align the car. So it looks great....but pulls to the right in a major way. To the tech at Courtesy Acura who installed my kit, thanks for skipping the alignment :sqntfawk:

The car is a complete blast! I had my doubts about how I would like the car with the A-Spec kit and must say that I am floored

And for those that asked the kit was part of the deal and is done as a "We Owe"; more specifically they owed me an A-Spec kit which was not installed from the facotry. All legal mumbo jumbo

All in all I give the car a 19 out of 10 F Car and Driver this thing is a BLAST

Now to find a way to access the internet
Old 07-02-2004 | 09:53 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Whole two days? Better call ACS that is an outrage!

Hehe, just be patient bro.
Old 07-02-2004 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

Did you need to lift the car to install the kit? Was it difficult?
Old 07-03-2004 | 12:34 AM
9th Gear

Nodoze,

Glad to hear you finally got your A-Spec TL. You mentioned you waited months for it. How long was it exactly? I ordered a Nighthawk with Navi back on March 19 and I'm still waiting for it. Like you, I'll probably have to wait another two days for my A-Spec install. :'(

Anyone else had to wait as long?
Old 07-03-2004 | 06:06 AM
VTEC HoooA

Nighthawker,

It is kind of a saga in regards to waiting months for the car, but breaks down as follows:

1. Made decision to buy TL (with wife buy in as well), ordered NBP 6mt/navi

2. Wife sweetalked me into changing order to anthracite, changed order

3. Anthracite car arrived....did NOT like it

4. Re-Ordered NBP

5. Took delivery yesterday...and all I can say is WOW!!!

So in my case it took a bit longer than usual. All I can say is thtat it is worth the wait and then some!!
Old 07-03-2004 | 09:50 AM
Safety Car

For the few questions posed by members above:

1) online at ebay, Acura dealerships ARE selling the A-spec package separately -- even just the components. Sunnyvale Acura is doing this, and several other Acura dealerships are doing this. That's how I got mine, actually from Norm Reeves Acura in California.

2) You do need to jack the car up, but the OEM car jack supplied with every TL in the trunk is SUFFICIENT to jack the car up enough to do what needs to be done (which is a) a little drilling in the front underside of the bumper, and b) to remove each rear wheel to properly attach the inner compnent of the rear underspoiler as it curls around into the rear wheel well.

The bodykit is EASY to install. It's a 1 out of 10 in terms of difficulty for people that have used a drill before and that have removed a spare tire before. It's a 3 out of 10 at most for people that are afraid of tools.

I did not do the suspension, and I wouldln't try that on my own.
Old 07-03-2004 | 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it.