Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to know about the RL

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 01:56 AM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Something to know about the RL

I know that this is a TL forum, but I just wanted to post this information that was related to me today, and i'm sure that it'll make a lot of us wonder if not doubt.
We had a seminar today about SUVs and their introduction to Police force and all that, and to make a long story short, one of the dealers (if not Honda as a manufacture) donated a Acura MDX to be a demo for our engineers.
So, we had a Acura rep. there and i asked him about Honda plans for 05 RL, so he told me nothing new, he heard that it might be all wheel drive, so i was disappointed, but what was new to me is this.
All wheel drive RL was supposed to go into production since 1999, and all RL's manufacture since 2000 are prepared for the all wheel drive and all they need is to be hooked up.
I looked at him in disbelief, so i asked my co-worker to bring his 2001 RL, and so it was put on the lift, and i was showed the unhooked all wheel drive system.
I'll tell you guys, I don't know a lot about all wheel drive and how it looks like from the bottom, but the guy knew what he was talking about and he was convincing, in addition to not seeing any motive for lies.
What you guys think?
Old 01-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

ehhh...i dunno. then why wouldn't acura just hook it up if it was so easy to do?
Old 01-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Racer

Acura should of offered it as an option if it was available to hook-up. Seems strange that they would by-pass selling AWD if they engineered it in. interesting.....
Old 01-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Pro

If this is true, then there should be an all wheel drive version of this car, sold as the Legend in Europe and Japan. Does anyone know if there is?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:31 PM
JDM FREAK

Jinny, a member @**********.com posted this:

"I belive that there is a AWD prototype running around Japan, built on a pre99 RL platform... I think it is being used to test both a traditional AWD layout and a hybrid AWD system (engine drive front and electric drive rear).

so I suppose there is enough room to do it. the pilot/MDX system is pretty small. it uses a simple driveshaft to reach the back and electronically controlled clutched engage the rear when needed.... the problem is tranny... maybe the MDX tranny could fit somehow, on the RL, cause an AWD system would need an output to the rear, which the RL tranny does not have.

I would guess that the motor driven rear AWD system would be easier to retrofit. since no output from the engine is needed...
I would love to have the hybrid AWD prototype to play with."
Old 01-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Instructor

when i worked at acura they were talking about making the next gen rl a hybrid making about 350 hp and geting 45 mpg
Old 01-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Something to know about the RL

Originally posted by Qatar
So, we had a Acura rep. there and i asked him about Honda plans for 05 RL, so he told me nothing new, he heard that it might be all wheel drive, so i was disappointed, but what was new to me is this.
he is wrong. 'nothing new' lol. it will be all new.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
He meant "nothing new" as compared to what we already know about the car from various spy pics and what little has been divulged by Honda. I, for one, can't wait for the new RL to be announced, even though I don't intend to buy one.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
'05 RL will NOT be front-wheel drive, Honda CEO Fukui has stated this officially.

The RL "can" be fitted with AWD yes, but you would need a powertrain to fit it. Since Honda doesn't make anything, you would have to custom build it.

The Accord and Civic in Japan are and have been available with AWD for some time.