Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some help racing a Type-S 5A/T

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some help racing a Type-S 5A/T

So I've read the stickied tips which were helpful, but I had a few questions and figured I should just make my own thread.

I was curious how/if you guys race an auto (07 T-S).

Do you simply brake-torque and then mash on the gas and let the car do all the shifting (auto)? I assume this is with VSA off since it tends to kill power with any slip.

Does anyone actually sport-shift the car? If so, what rpm do you start the shift and what rpm are you trying to get it to shift at (due to the delay).

Does anyone have any tricks to improve the throttle-delay from daily driving... or are people installing throttle bypasses?

My tires tend to slip a decent amount even when just flooring it from a stop with auto/VSA on. Any good way to avoid this? I assume better tires and... don't floor it?

Basically any and all info is helpful as I'm curious how I can make the best use of the ponies under the hood. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Brake torque and gate shift, VSA off. About the best you can do with the auto.
Originally Posted by Cross-Hair
So I've read the stickied tips which were helpful, but I had a few questions and figured I should just make my own thread.

I was curious how/if you guys race an auto (07 T-S).

Do you simply brake-torque and then mash on the gas and let the car do all the shifting (auto)? I assume this is with VSA off since it tends to kill power with any slip.

Does anyone actually sport-shift the car? If so, what rpm do you start the shift and what rpm are you trying to get it to shift at (due to the delay).

Does anyone have any tricks to improve the throttle-delay from daily driving... or are people installing throttle bypasses?

My tires tend to slip a decent amount even when just flooring it from a stop with auto/VSA on. Any good way to avoid this? I assume better tires and... don't floor it?

Basically any and all info is helpful as I'm curious how I can make the best use of the ponies under the hood. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
The best thing you can do is DO NOT brake torque. The torque converter does not respond well to load. It has been proven at the track. Gate shifting though should result in a better time due to being able to hit redline. In full auto mode I believe the 2nd gen TL-S short shifts like the base TL and Accord V6 auto.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

Sorry if this is a dumb question... but "gate shifting" is just using the manual shifting right?

So basically just shift so that the tach hits redline after the delay I assume.

And like I said brake torquing and/or just flooring it makes the tires slip. I assume the point is to NOT let them slip... so better tires and launch just below the slipping point?

From what I read the torque converter should be fine handling the load, it's just a matter of overheating it. Sounds like it should be ok from me brake torquing for 1-2 seconds tops once in a while.

Also, I read that if you drive conservatively, the throttle response slows for better gas mileage until you start driving it more aggressively. Is this true? If so, is there any way for me to drive calmly, and get my TL to drive aggressively in a short period of time (AKA at a stop light)?

Sorry, new to the TL and I'm not 100% knowledgeable of all these tech features.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
* From a dig, this is what I do most of the time.
- leave it in drive

- VSA off

- Ease into the throttle until about 1500-2000rpms then floor it

*From a roll, I don't think VSA really matters that much cause a 5AT won't break the tires loose. :P haha

- Downshift to the lowest gear possible via sportshift and off you go. I usually do the roll races at 55mph in 2nd gear. I think the UA7's are geared the same, so at 55mph/2nd gear, you're deep in your power band.

- In D, the car shifts by 6500rpm. In SS, we can take it to redline, but we shouldn't cause of the power cut-off. Just remember to shift right when you hit 6500rpm because there's a quick lag before it actually shifts gears. That way you get the most power out of each gear.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
If I'm at the track, I turn VSA off and keep my right foot on the gas to about 1,000 rpms while holding the brake with my left foot. Then when its time to go quickly take the foot off the brake and mash the gas.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
The best thing you can do is DO NOT brake torque. The torque converter does not respond well to load. It has been proven at the track. Gate shifting though should result in a better time due to being able to hit redline. In full auto mode I believe the 2nd gen TL-S short shifts like the base TL and Accord V6 auto.
agreed.
put VSA off, one foot on brake and the other on gas and use "SS" mode so you can bring it up all the way to redline.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Perfect, just the responses I was looking for... thanks guys.

As far as the throttle delay from conservative driving, does it actually exist? If so is there any way to bypass it?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Cross-Hair
Perfect, just the responses I was looking for... thanks guys.

As far as the throttle delay from conservative driving, does it actually exist? If so is there any way to bypass it?
It learns your driving style. Shifts points are the main difference. Doens't matter at full throttle anyway. The throttle is 100% open and it's shifting as close to redling as it can regardless of how it shifts at part throttle.

About the launch, you have to play around with that. Some cars do better with powerbraking, some do better flashing the convertor, and some do well just stomping your foot to the floor. The best way is to take it to the track and try different techniques while paying attention to your 60' time. What feels quicker may not be. Some wheelspin in these cars is not too bad. If mine spins a little it will actually help it to not bog as bad off the start but mine is slow and I rarely ever race it. What you want to avoid is excessive spin.