Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solutions / Resolutions to Early Build Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Solutions / Resolutions to Early Build Problems

I know that there is a tread already to post issues, but I think it will be helpful if we start a new tread to post any resolutions or fixes that the Acura has done, can't do or refuse to do.

This way there will be just one tread to see all fixes to problem so that people will not have to search the entire board and track down what fixes were done and for what problem. Postings on issues resolution seems to be scathered everywhere.

If we can start this tread by describing the problem that was serviced and the results, I think it will save everyone a lot of time and effort.

Anyway, I serviced my car today for the 50 mph vibration from the engine, among others. I will post the final outcome when available.

Initial Experience:
An Acura service tech rode with me on a road test and acknowledged the problem. Vibration at 50 mph - he could hear the high frequency vibrations coming from the engine even from the passenger seat. Released the gas and vibration was gone. Down shifted and vibration was gone. Vibration at 50 can be best duplicated on an inclined road, where constant gas at 50 mph can be maintained.

Service guy was very helpful and understood my concern. He acknowledged that it wasn't an alignment of wheel balancing issue. He will run engine diagnostic today. He said it will probably take 2 days or more to run through all my issues.

Was able to get a loaner car no problem. The whole process from entering the dealer to driving away in my loaner took only 40 minutes (this includes the road test). Very satisfied with the level of service so far. Only thing is...they put me in a RSX (wanted at least the TSX)
Old 11-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Angry thinks its a transmission issue

shifting into overdrive too soon.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Re: thinks its a transmission issue

Originally posted by jyg tl 3
shifting into overdrive too soon.
you may be right...we have to wait and see.

But I think all they have to do is change the timing of when transmission shifts??? Can this be done? Anyone know?
Old 11-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Here was the list of problems and explaination given to me:

1. Engine vibrates and runs rough at around 30mph…most noticeable at 50-55mph. Appears related to auto shifting too early into 4th and 5th gears. When using manual sport shift, engine does not vibrate.

Tech Response:
This is normal. At 50, car is switching between gears - vibration will occur.....

I can't believe that one...UNBELIEVABLE!!!

2. Car steering vibrates at various speeds, maybe caused by alignment and/or wheel balance

Tech Response:
Will align and balance wheels

3. Steering is off-center. Steering not centered… slightly off to the right. Car does not track straight. Drifts left.

Tech Response:
Will align steering column

4. Steering wheel rattles when tapped. Seems like something came loose inside the steering wheel.

Tech Response:
Ordered replacement part - volumn control on steering wheel broken.

5. Excessive wind noise from drivers side window at highway speeds in comparison to other 04 TL

Tech Response:
Didn't hear excessive wind noise.

6. Various rattles heard when going over rough roads or bumps from the:
a. Steering wheels – related to issue #4
b. Both driver’s and passenger’s seat belt.
c. Near the radio/navigation unit.
d. Glove compartment area.

Tech Response:
Didn't notice any rattles - just leather rubbing

7. Occasional rattle from subwoofer at high bass.

Tech Response:
This is normal if bass is at high position.

8. Brake feels soft (mushy).

Tech Response:
Brake feels normal

9. Navigation screen froze. Restarted car, and system worked properly.

Tech Response:
Can't re-produce problem. OK

10. Car did not start on the first crank. (happened to me on 3 occasions)

Tech Response:
Leave the ignition in the middle position for couple seconds before cranking...this will allow the car to calculate proper air gas mixture

I can live with all of the tech responses (rattles and all) except for vibration at 50. HOW CAN THIS BE NORMAL??? I've insisted on taking another tech on a road test. Apparently, the tech originally assigned to me was pulled off b/c he was not experienced with 04 TL, (is anyone at this stage) so they assigned a tech manager to look into my problems. I scheduled another road test with the tech manager.

This CANNOT be normal. How can one justify an engine vibrating at 50 and say it is normal, car is just in between gears?????????bulls*%t

What a nightmare
Old 11-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

pohanka or radley?

#10--This has to do with the immobilizer not reading properly and happens once in a blue moon
Old 11-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by RJC RSX
pohanka or radley?

#10--This has to do with the immobilizer not reading properly and happens once in a blue moon
pohanka
Old 11-24-2003, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

who was your service manager? Jerry? They seem to do pretty good work overall, but I've left disappointed a few times. They could never reproduce my rattle (RSX btw, I'll try to drive the TL tomorrow to see if we have the vibration)
Old 11-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Instructor

i just dropped mine off today for a list of issues (with the vibration being the most important. others were paint, steering wheel, trunk misaligned, and minor rattles.) i'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
btw... i would have been very happy with an rsx. they sent me over to enterprise rent-a-car and tried to give me a dodge neon!!!
i called the sales manager and complained... then they gave me a chevy trailblazer (which is about one notch up from a neon in my book.)
Old 11-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Racer

#10: Not starting on the first crank has to do with the tougher emission standards our car meets. It's addressed in the owner's manual; this has happened to me on 2 occasions.

#4: I had a rattle when I hit bumps and when I tapped the steering wheel I could duplicate it. It turns out there was a bolt in the dashboard that wasn't properly tightened. This was corrected rather easily. Process of dropping car off and getting a loaner (RSX- it was fine. I asked for an NSX jokingly, none available unfortunately) was quite quick. Service Mgr. personally handled the problem and took a genuine interest as he was the one that test drove the car.

I have a tiny "unpainted spot" ( the size of the top of a pen cap)on my trunk lid. They'll paint it for me, I asked for a complimentary touch up kit which they'll get me once my color is in- deep pearl green not available yet because it's a new Acura color.

No other problems and I have a <500 build number. I understand some people feel that early build cars have more problems.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by gregory28
#10: Not starting on the first crank has to do with the tougher emission standards our car meets. It's addressed in the owner's manual; this has happened to me on 2 occasions.
the manual talks about it taking longer than usual to start because it is mapping out the emmissions system. Not starting at all seems to be a different case
Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by RJC RSX
the manual talks about it taking longer than usual to start because it is mapping out the emmissions system. Not starting at all seems to be a different case
The problem I find is that I am used to holding the key a certain amount of time, and then release it, so when my car does not start, it is mostly because I release the key from the start position too soon. next time I hold it and it starts.

I think it is mostly self imposed as we expect it to turn over right away and when it doesn't we have already released the key.

Not a big deal, you just have to do it a second time.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Keeping fingers crossed....no issues with mine so far.

D.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally posted by need4spd
The problem I find is that I am used to holding the key a certain amount of time, and then release it, so when my car does not start, it is mostly because I release the key from the start position too soon. next time I hold it and it starts.

I think it is mostly self imposed as we expect it to turn over right away and when it doesn't we have already released the key.

Not a big deal, you just have to do it a second time.
Good point here by need4spd. I haven't had an unsuccessful first start since I started holding the key a bit longer.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Instructor

What heck r u guys talking about? Is there suppose to be a trick to get your car to start on the first crank. I have had 6 new cars that always started on the first crank the first year (even a Ford Mustang). I had a 99TL that only misfired once on me in 4.5 yrs.

I don't want to hear technigal gargon of why my car doesn't start in the first crank (worst when its cold outside) This is a BRAND NEW CAR.

What next...will I have to do the hocky pocky before I get in my car to get the heated seats working properly...or better yet do a rain dance to prevent my car from stalling.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

well you're always supposed to wait in the ON position for the fuel pump, and it's just the nature of the immobilizer that it might misread and not start once every 1/50 starts or so (from my experience)
Old 11-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Instructor

I'm curious to know why it only occurs in cold weather. If it is due to the immobilizer or what Acura states in that the engine is trying to reduce emmission level during start up, will cold weather make it worse? I haven't experienced the problem lately, since it has been unseasonably warm lately in the East Coast.

Regardless, there are numerous cars with immobilizers that does not have this problem. Does MB, BMW, Lexus, etc. have a secret that it is not sharing with Acura?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Just got back from Acura service (2nd trip). They assigned me to a new tech. They initially insisted that the vibration was normal. I insisted it was not.

With the tech with me, we drove another TL on the lot and my TL back to back.

I tell you, 2 different cars. The TL I drove was noticeably smoother, no engine vibration at any speed. (though very slight at 50, but barely noticeable - tech told me all TL's experiences this)

After driving the other TL and then mines, we both noticed things that I haven't noticed before:

1. The engine actually vibrates while in reverse.
2. Engine vibrates at all speeds, most noticeable at 50-55.
3. Creaks in my car that I didn't notice in the other
4. I feel the vibrations even from the passenger seat. (at very low speeds)
5. We actually found rattles that I haven't heard before

By the way the other TL had a build in the 9000's.

The reason for this test drive (the other TL), the service tech wanted to prove to me that it occurs in all TL. The back to back test drive actually did the reverse. It finally convinced the Acura tech that there is something odd about my car. The best way to describe it is, compared to the other TL we drove, my TL "Feels Old"

I don't necessarily think is an early build issue, nor a TL issue overall, I think I got a bad apple. Someone must have been getting over a hangover while building my car. After driving the other TL, I now know why others and critics are praising the car. It is pretty smooth and quiet. (Before I just thought the critics were on crack)

For anyone else experiencing engine vibration issues (not tires or alignment vibration), insist on taking a back to back test drive with the tech in your car. You will both notice a world of difference between the 2 cars.

By the way, they swapped out my RSX loaner for 2002TL.

I hope they can somehow fix the problem. Not sure if they can.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah, I forgot. I noticed a memo to Service Techs from Acura that states there may be a car battery issue? I didn't get to read the entire memo. I think their should be a TB out there somewhere? Anyone else know about this? Maybe the cause of "Cold Ignition Start" problem??????