Steves Tinting (Upland, CA)
http://www.stevestinting.com/index2.htm
909-920-6844

Tint
Formula One Pinnacle Tint w/ Moleskin installation - $299.00
(Normally $349.00)

Clear Bra
Xpel Installation Kit - $550.00
(Includes Hood, Fenders, Front Bumper, Headlights & Side mirrors)
(Normally 749.00)

Tint and Clear Bra Special $800.00

Just mention Todd LoSasso Acura TL Special...

If this thread is benificial to you - please increase my reputation rating by tipping the scales...

Thanks
TL
Old 10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any time frame for this? I'd imagine most of us from the PowerBuy are still waiting to pick up our cars.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 10-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Good deal

The 800 for both sounds great. has anyone used Steve's tinting for the clear bra install?

I have heard their tint work is good but haven't heard anything on the clear bra installation?

Also is this deal good just by calling or is it a group buy like the Cerritos deal you setup?

Thanks,

M
Old 10-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This deal is for anyone in this group... I explained to him what we did with the Cerritos deal and said there would be a few people from that deal looking for a place to tint. I didnt want to commit to numbers - because that was a pain in the ass...

Just call them up and mention my name and that you are an Acura-TL.com member and you should be good to go...

FYI - A freind of my got his TL tinted there and recommended his work... Though my freind didnt get a clear bra so he can't vouch on that, when I asked Steve he said he has done several TL's... I will probably get mine next week...

TL
Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Advanced

one more question

Hi Todd,

one more question:

Is the bumper kit the larger (extended bumper kit) or the standard bumper install? I am assuming the 800 is the standard bumper kit, how much more would the extended kit be?

M
Old 10-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Instructor

To tell you the truth - I am not sure about the bumper. I will give Steve a call this week to confirm, but if you talk to him before I get a chance - Please post...

Thanks
TL
Old 10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

I just got back from Steve's Tinting in Upland today, where I got my '04 NBP tinted with pinnacle tint, 35% on the front and sides, 15% on the rear, and it is just perfection. They're a great group of guys who are familiar with the TL (one of the guys just bought one) and I'm completely satisfied with their work. The one thing I regret is not checking out this thread sooner, because I just paid quite a bit over Todd's well negotiated price. But oh well.
I didn't get the clear front protection installed, but the guy Marco who owns the new TL showed me his on his own car. It looks really well done, with covering over the front headlights/foglights, and both side mirrors as well, but it only goes about halfway up the front of the hood. I can't really comment on the clear bra thing beyond that.
If you guys want, I can try and put up pictures later of the tint job they did, but it really is top notch work. And they put on moleskin without removing my door panels, which is just another plus to me. The only downside is it's about a 30 minute drive, and the price I paid is a little high. Otherwise I'd recommend them highly.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Instructor

That would be great.... Thanks Kermee
Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kermee
(one of the guys just bought one)

That's awesome I had my car tinted there a few months back, and the guy was asking me about it. He was trying to decide between this car and the G35. Looks like he made the right decision

Anyway, one bad thing though. I have to take my car back to that tint shop seeing as how my tint on the driver window seems to have some bubbles. It looks more like discoloration than bubbles, but i'm damn sure it's bubbles. Oh well, we'll see how that goes.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Instructor

If anyone signs up for this deal - please post your experience on this thread... I will be making my appointment tomorrow and will follow up with a post when it is finished...
Old 10-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

I just went back again to Steve's Tint Shop today. I talked to Steve about the Power Tint deal, and he was kind enough to reimburse me the difference between what I paid and what Todd had negotiated (about 30 bucks). It just adds to my belief that these guys really run a top-notch shop.

I tried to take a couple photos of the tint work on my NBP, but in this overcast weather, it really doesn't show effectively. I'll try again when the sun's out. I basically have black on parchment, and because the interior is so light, the 35% Pinnacle actually looks a lot lighter than I wanted it to. Overall, I wouldn't have chosen any differently though. It's right about where I wanted it, and the 15% on the back glass is just stunning.

My only follow-up problem is that 3rd brake light droop thing that everyone's been commenting on. It appears that I got one that didnt' fit perfectly flush, and with the heavy tint now present, it reflects a lot of the red light back in through the window. I was agonizing over this for a bit, but decided just to give the module housing a good firm push upwards, and it seems to have snapped into place and corrected this problem. There's a couple good threads in the Garage section for people who need to do something slightly more drastic.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Instructor

I made my appointment for Saturday... I checked and the tint and clear bra come with a lifetime warranty and covers almost everything except for scratches which are out of his control.

Steve also wanted me to let everyone know that he is going to offer this until 11/15. I explained that some members might not have their cars by that time, but if you call and express your interest, he will put you on a list and honor the price when you get your car...

On another note:

I am thinking about doing 35% all around - but I am curious what other members suggest.

I have the SSM/ Quartz.

Thanks
TL
Old 10-27-2004, 01:01 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys,
I have a question about the clear bra. I was just searching through the internet for information about clear bra and I came upon this site http://www.clearbra.net/home2.html
It seems the company is the "original" maker of clear bra and from various info on their site their product seems superior to others.
Their product is 12 mils thick and composed of 2 layers (a hard outer layer with a soft impact cushion layer)...it is custom fitted onto the vehicle instead of using pre-fab template.

I checked the X-Pel website http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp
The X-Pel installation kit is a pre-cut kit that is suppose to fit on all 04-05 TL and it is 8 mils thick.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on clear bra so I can't really say which one is better than the other. Does anyone have more info on the subject??
Old 10-27-2004, 01:25 AM
2005 ACURA TL

hello everyone my name is MARCO, I work at STEVES PROFESSIONAL GLASS TINTING. We just recently did KERMEE'S TL and it came out perfect. We over charged him and that was a mistake on our part, we already refuded him his money. We are having a special on a clear bra and tint (pinnacle series with moleskin) for $800. If you just want the Pinnacle series film with the moleskin that will cost $300 out the door. This normally goes for $350 but we are giving a discount for ACURA-TL.COM members. We can answer all your questions at 909-920-6845. We are open MONDAY-SATURDAY 8AM-4PM. Installing the tint takes about an hour and a half, if you would like to do the clear bra that takes all day because we take our time to do an excellant job on your vehicle. These prices will EXPIRE November 15,2005.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry i don't know much about tint, but isn't $300 high? i paid $170 if i got mole skin in probably cost me $200.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Marco,

I am relatively new to this forum (2 months) - but I am almost sure that vendors cannot post sales information because it takes away from this forum's sponsors. When I contacted you guys to set up this deal, it wasn't to give you an avenue for cheap advertising, but to get a good deal for me and several of the members of this forum.

Though I believe your post will be deleted, I think it would be in good form for you to remove or edit your post as an act of good faith. I already provided your information to the members and you are just reposting anyway...

In the future if you have information that can add to member knowledge, like the differences between clearbra and expel products, that would be appreciated. But if you want to advertise on this site - become a sponser.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Clubber - on the tint, which brand did you get? I am also new to this tint thing, but several people recommended Formula One Pinnacle Tint because of the high quality and it is ceramic based (doesnt interfere with the navigation). My freind got the Metallic tint at Steve's and paid less...
Old 10-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Xpditor went with Xpel and I think he is now an installer.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86629

I figured that the thinner the barrier the less visiable it would be... Plus my car has been sitting in the garage until I get this done, I live near a rock quarry, so I dont think I am going to do any more research.

If you find anything out - please let me know. I have my appt on Saturday...
Old 10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Things left undone

Originally Posted by ToddL
Xpditor went with Xpel and I think he is now an installer.
Half right.

I did get XPel. It is 3M product patterned by XPel and installed by a franchisee. It is as good as the installer. It is labor intensive and requires meticulous prep and a clean area for install.

My first install had to be taken off and redone. I still have minor flaws. Everything shows on a black car. Lighter colors are more forgiving.

I have not yet gone to school to become an installer. It's still on the TO DO list.

-XP
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Clearbra quote

Hi all,

I contacted Daniel Cook (danielcook@envisagelab.com) for the clear bra install. I believe they are in Torrance. They specialize in the clearbra installs. Here is the quote he provided me for the install:

2004 Acura TL Paint Protection

1. Hood kit with included Free Fender and Mirror coverage as shown below. $334.95 INSTALLED

2. Bumper / air dam kit - 2 options for the TL as shown below:

- EXTENDED BUMPER KIT (COVERS ENTIRE LENGTH OF BUMPER): $385.00 INSTALLED
- STANDARD BUMPER KIT (COVERS FRONT OF BUMPER): $279.00 INSTALLED

3. Head Lamp Protection: $29.95 INSTALLED

I haven't had the chance to speak to Steve's Tinting on thier special if it is the extended kit or the standard coverage.

Thanks,

M
Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 AM
2005 ACURA TL

hey this is Marco from STEVES tint. Sorry about my last post but it got DELETED b.c i was advertising. But just give us a call at 909 9
Old 10-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Ok - I getting my tint and clear bra tomorrow... I am thinking about going 35% all around - but I am willing to listen to other recommendations...

I have the Satin Silver Metalic with Quartz interior.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Caveat Emptor

Originally Posted by Evil Genius
Hey guys,
I have a question about the clear bra. I was just searching through the internet for information about clear bra and I came upon this site http://www.clearbra.net/home2.html
It seems the company is the "original" maker of clear bra and from various info on their site their product seems superior to others.
Their product is 12 mils thick and composed of 2 layers (a hard outer layer with a soft impact cushion layer)...it is custom fitted onto the vehicle instead of using pre-fab template.

I checked the X-Pel website http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp
The X-Pel installation kit is a pre-cut kit that is suppose to fit on all 04-05 TL and it is 8 mils thick.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on clear bra so I can't really say which one is better than the other. Does anyone have more info on the subject??
I recently spent time with the owner/originator of Clear Bra in Salt Lake City, UT. He started out using Ricochet 12 mil material. The PPF Industry, almost unanimously, has rejected this material - including Clear Bra. He has recently switched but still uses thicker material than most installers (he has licensees around the western states). In my opinion, Avery is another sub-standard film. I come to these conclusions after speaking with scores of installers on the www.tintdude.com site, Paint Protection Film forum.

The intermountain west has a big problem with paint and windshield chips because of the many gravel and dirt roads. Clear bras (generic) are big business there. Most use the 3M 8 mil product which was improved this past January. The other two companies making film are Llumar and Venture Tape. Both are good but they haven't built up a history yet. They have lifetime warranties. Their longevety remains to be seen re: yellowing, etc.

I have a problem/ caveat with the Clear Bra installers. They cut the film on the car with a razor. XPel, Venture Tape, and Llumar sell patterns for computer plotting/cutting to fit each vehicle. You don't have to do any cutting on the car.

When the installer cuts on the car, he has to be an expert and have a "feel" for just how deep to score the film without cutting into your paint. If he goes too deep, your paint job is ruined. Of course, you won't know that because the line of the film is there and masks the scratch until you take the film off. Personally, I was not willing to take that risk. I would probably trust the owner to do it as he has done thousands. But, the fact is that he has lots of new employees that don't have the same experience that he does. And he seldom personally installs anymore. He doesn't have to.

I will say this again: the quality and thoroughness of the preparation and installation means more than the type of film. An experienced installer with good references who does high end cars regularly and who has a fixed location is the best bet. He will probably be a bit more expensive than the guy working out of the back of a truck..... but worth it. Get references from car owners who have had it done. See some cars in your color if you can.

I have a hair (one) under mine on the bumper, several finger prints underneath, and several pieces of lint. They are very visible on my black TL. The finger prints are there because the installer didn't keep his hands wet during the install. The skills of the installer are most important. This is not a "do it yourself" project. It requires specific skills and knowledge coupled with a fastidious attention to cleanliness and detail. It is something like window tint times 100.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

About the clear bra

Can anybody provide pictures of the options you guys are talking about. Clear bra involving the hood, bumper. Please can anybody show me some pictures. Also, is there any good locations on the east side like New Jersey. Thank You
Old 10-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Emperor's new bra

Go HERE and follow the links to the patterns under "shop".

You will find diagrams of the patterns there.

It is impossible to show you photos of the clear bras installed as they are essentially invisible - especially to the camera.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Instructor

http://www.xpel.com/

You can go to Xpel website to see a photo gallery and the pre-cuts available for your 2004/05 TL. I would also read Xpditor post on his example of his experience with his installer...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86629

Also - this thread is mostly read by Southern Carlifornia residents. I would suggest that you first use the search feature on this forum to see if anyone else has listed New Jersey installers. If not you can start a thread more specific to your region. You can also go to the Xpel website to find an installer in your area...

Hope this helps...
Old 10-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Instructor

I got my tint and clear bra today and I am very happy with the results...

Yes I know - but until I get/ borrow a digital camera you will have to wait...

The clear bra is almost invisiable unless you are looking for it or if the sun and you are at the correct angle, you can see where the bra ends on the hood... It looks like a scratch but only at that angle. As you move it virtually turns invisiable. As for the tint, I went with 35% all around and it looks professional and clean...

Steve and crew are great and they go to great care to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction....

Again - I will post pics as soon as I have an Opportunity...
Old 11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Instructor

I have made arrangement for a camera this weekend. I will hopefully have pics before it ends...
Old 11-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ToddL
I got my tint and clear bra today and I am very happy with the results...

Yes I know - but until I get/ borrow a digital camera you will have to wait...

The clear bra is almost invisiable unless you are looking for it or if the sun and you are at the correct angle, you can see where the bra ends on the hood... It looks like a scratch but only at that angle. As you move it virtually turns invisiable. As for the tint, I went with 35% all around and it looks professional and clean...

Steve and crew are great and they go to great care to make sure everything is done to your satisfaction....

Again - I will post pics as soon as I have an Opportunity...

Steve and crew are definately awesome. A group of nice and professional guys.

Hey Todd, I think I saw your car there Saturday. You had the SSM getting the clear bra and tint done. I had the NBP there getting my pass side redone.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 AM
2005 ACURA TL

Hey guys this is Marco with steves tinting. I just wanted to say thanks for all the great feed back we aprecitate all the good comments. By the was what does SSM mean? Sorry i do not know all the LINGO. take care guys.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:28 AM
10th Gear

Satin Silver Metalic?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
All the color codes are listed and explained in this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78596
Old 11-03-2004, 12:40 PM
2005 ACURA TL

ohhhhh Ok . well thats the color i have as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Instructor

sparkz - that was probably me. I tell you what - I have gotten nothing but compliments from friends and strangers. Even my friend who is a BMW fanatic - gives high praise to the car.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys just had my 2005 TL tinted today, I got Pinnacle series 15% back halk and 35% front two windows. All I have to say is that Iam very happy with the quality of work at Steves. Perfect tint job. The paint protection came out EXCELLENT. You cant even see it!!! I highly recommend Steves Tinting to anyone.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Going in for tint

Hey folks,

I'm going in on saturday to have the tint done at Steves.

M
Old 11-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

I have quick questions regarding clear bra.
If I have clear bra on my car do I still need to wax, clay.. or anything other than washing?? I don't think I need to wax on the part covered by bra. but not sure and want to make sure..
Can I have clear bra installed just on the front and rear bumper? and what is the reasonable price for the frond and back bumper?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Clearbra

Originally Posted by miny
I have quick questions regarding clear bra.
If I have clear bra on my car do I still need to wax, clay.. or anything other than washing?? I don't think I need to wax on the part covered by bra. but not sure and want to make sure..
Can I have clear bra installed just on the front and rear bumper? and what is the reasonable price for the frond and back bumper?
I was told to go ahead and wax mine when I wax the rest of the car. Yes you can do only a portion of the car, but I would think you would really want the hood done since that is where alot of your chips will come from.

Steves shop has gotten alot of good reviews and if you ask them for the special Todd setup I think they do the hood and front bumper for a really good price (see earlier posts from Todd)

M
Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Just came back from Steve's Tinting with my NBP tinted. Met Marco and he showed me his car and explain the different darkness. Met two other forum members there while my TL was getting tinted. Steve and crew were great. Steve even personally inspected my tint job before I left because he knew the drive from my house was about 45 minutes and he wanted to make sure that I woudn't have to drive back to his shop with any problems. He found a minor bubble in one of the windows and they redid that window. I highly recommended Steve's Tinting.

Quick Reply: SoCal Tint and Clear Bra Acura TL Special