3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So will the dealer scratch my rims again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So will the dealer scratch my rims again?

I've had my TL a little over 2 months now and I finally got to washing it this wknd. (damn long winters here in NE). I took a close look at my rims while washing them and noticed some nice grooved gouges (maybe a little harsh, but definately deep cuts) near the outer perimiter of the rims. Man this pisses me off. I figured the dealership must have done this while replacing my stock HPT's with the Falkens. Since I never looked that closely at the rims when I bought the car (stupid), I suppose they may have come that way from the factory, but seems hard to beleive.
Anyways, I am planning on having my HPT's put back on soon and am worried about more scratches being put onto the rims. Is this irresponsible on the mechanics part or is this common due to the machine they use to take the tires off? I thought about just getting another set of rims, but $$$ is a little tight right now. BTW, I haven't hit any curbs either.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have a slight nick near the center cap (emblem area) of my 18" OEM wheels. This was caused by the Firestone tech putting the caps on in a forced manner (bastard!) Anyway, when they put the tires on the wheels they didn't scratch anything.

Ironically, it was when they were mounting it to my car that it got scratched/nicked/damaged.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Happy in the Abyss

Sure!

Just had my tires replaced - Price was newly nicked-up wheels. Techs who just don't care about their work, or their customers. Typical of what we see every day in all kinds of businesses.

Jim
Old 04-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

dealer scratched all 4 wheels replacing the el42's with the new ones. they are having a wheel repair guy come out to the dealership and fix all of them.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down Amen!

Originally Posted by abqhudson
Just had my tires replaced - Price was newly nicked-up wheels. Techs who just don't care about their work, or their customers. Typical of what we see every day in all kinds of businesses.Jim
Preach it, Brother! :banghead:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys,

Sorry to hear your stories but a friend of mine who used to work for Acura told me that you really need to talk to the manager and possibly the tech to take it easy on the rims as they are brand new. He said that if a customer were persistent and insistent, then the service writer will make it a point to tell the tech to be extra careful. Now, I am not sure how effective it will be but I think it's well worth a try since it can't hurt to let someone know how important quality work is. On top of that, they know they will have to pay to repair or replace the rims if the tech treats your wheel like it came off a 10 year old car.

dsc888
Old 04-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can request to have the lugs done by hand, not by drill. I am going to get a set of the rubber coated sockets to include to the service dips to use when they move my wheels. They just replaced two of mine due to scratching around the lugnuts.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

ARGH - just hit a curb and nicked up the left rear rim pretty bad on my '07 TL - rims are the standard issue, nothing special. What can I expect to pay to replace it? It's unfortunately very noticeable and is going to drive me crazy...

Tire seems ok, just a little rubber caught and pulled up next to the rim, not deep enough to be a prob.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DrMar
ARGH - just hit a curb and nicked up the left rear rim pretty bad on my '07 TL - rims are the standard issue, nothing special. What can I expect to pay to replace it? It's unfortunately very noticeable and is going to drive me crazy...

Tire seems ok, just a little rubber caught and pulled up next to the rim, not deep enough to be a prob.
look in the black market section, or on ebay. You should find one reasonably priced there
Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've torn the shit out of my stock rims... all 4 tires have curb rash, 3 of them pretty badly. It took me a while to get used to the much larger size of the TL compared to my older car It bothered me at first, but I'm used to it now. At least when I go to have the tires changed I won't get high blood pressure and a heart attack knowing that they can't bang up the rims worse than they already are