3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So i just replaced my clutch (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
2nd is also a little hard for me if the transmission's cold (the engine warms up faster than the trans. After the engine completes warm up, after a few more minutes the trans becomes a lot smoother for 2nd and 6th. I cant really get into 6th at all when it's cold unless i double clutch it.

it's "crunchy" or i feel some kind of gear resistance. It's not an outright grind. I usually shift way early though (below 2k) in the morning rather than do a higher rpm shift.

running GM FM fluid.

edit: it seems to be an ongoing "problem" with cold transmissions (4G TL): https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/hard-shift-1st-2nd-841992/. Just drive slow and shift early while the trans is cold. I usually cruise in 5th going 45-50 to speed the process.
Yeah, mine sounds almost identical to yours. It almost never "grinds", but there is a "crunchy" gear resistance feeling when it's cold. Shifting below 2k is fine, but usually I need to shift closer to 3k to exit my parking lot and merge into traffic without lugging the engine. Thus the double-clutch.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
As for the comments on temperature....You can bet that it plays a part in the performance of the fluid and synchro material. Same way a clutch starts slipping if it gets too hot. I'm wondering if anthracite_ftw has had a chance to try the GM/AC Delco FM fluid. It's thought to give the syncrhos a bit better bite and allow them to do a better job even if they're slightly worn.

It eliminated an awful 3rd gear grind we had in our 03 Element AWD. A poorly executed dealer synchro replacment left our truck with questionable shifting quality. Never had a single crunch-shift or pop-out again after I put in the GM fluid.
I put GMSMFM fluid in 15K miles after buying the car. It definitely seems to offer better protection and smoother shifting, and I wish I had done this right off the bat.

On dealer-replaced synchros, my 3rd gear has been flawless since I bought the car. (30k+ miles since it's rebuild) But that's hit-or-miss from what I gather.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have a comptech shortshifter and aluminum shifter cable bushings. So that definitely amplifies the effort to get into gear, and any vibration/gear resistance sensations.
On the other hand I have a super-heavy shift knob, which kind of does the opposite, dampening feedback.

I don't really shift faster with these mods, I just enjoy the tactile difference. Come to think of it, I don't think I've done a single "speed shift" in at least a couple months.