Sponsored by:

So I just got a TL and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I just got a TL and need advice

04 nbp yeaaaaaaa haha.

Anyways, I was wonderin what i should get for each part.

Suspension: I really wanted to lower my car first. I was thinkin Tein basic coilovers, but I'm not into performance so would it be ok to just buy springs and put them on stock shocks? I'm scared of just buying the springs because i dont wanna screw up my tires, and shocks. I've searched and read that you dont need to buy a camber kit, and you only need an alignment. Hopefully this is true. And also, would i need struts or stuff like that?

Wheels: I dont even know where to start. I was thinking of getting 19s, but I know nothing about tire/rim size, or how compatible a certain wheel size is with the suspension that I have.

Lips: I was probably gonna get an a-spec front lip, but think ill hold off on the sideskirts/rear for now. Would that look weird?

Blackout headlight: I wanted to blackout my headlights. Like where it's cleared then painted black so the yellow markers are black.

Would this setup be decent? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just dont wanna screw anything up.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to the forum
If you look at the main list of threads for 3rd generation you will find most of your answers there. Just read the titles- same things you asked are all there
Also learn the search feature.
Look in the Picture area- for every combo of springs and shocks and tires, and how they look on the car
Camber kit is if you go really low- otherwise an alignment will get it close enough, toe being the important thing to adjust for now.

Make sure you know the radio and nav unit security codes thats a 4 and 5 digit number.
Register with acura as a new owner- 1-800-382-2238 x5
and here https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
You will need the cars VIN number for both of those
and here is the owner manual in case it didnt come with one
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404MAINIDX.pdf
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!

suspension: either coilovers or lowering springs + konis if you are concerned about the stock shocks. however, some lowering springs with moderate drop are fine for stock shocks.

wheels: 19s are perfect, IMO. you can run staggered or non-staggered. 19x8 to 19x10 with 30mm-35mm offset.

lip kit: just with front aspec lip is fine, but might look weird without rear lip. sideskirts aren't that noticeable.

blacked out headlights: lots of members have done this mod. either DIY or have a shop or a member to help.

is your 04 automatic or manual?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:14 AM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the replies haha. Glad to see that the responses arent all viscious and bloodthirsty lol.

My car's automatic. I'm really tempted to drop the car like 1.5-2" and get the lip kit and worry about the rims a little later. After seeing jorge68's tl I've been inspired to do it haha.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:05 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by scotterson
Thanks for the replies haha. Glad to see that the responses arent all viscious and bloodthirsty lol.

My car's automatic. I'm really tempted to drop the car like 1.5-2" and get the lip kit and worry about the rims a little later. After seeing jorge68's tl I've been inspired to do it haha.
Do what makes you happy, first. Lowering your car is not a bad place to start.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

If you drop the car that much, you'll probabaly wear out the stock shocks pretty fast. For ~2", it'd be easier and cheaper in the long run to get Springs/Shocks or a Coil-Over right off the bat.

If your drop is ~1" - 1.5" you *might* be able to run the stock shock and have them wear pretty close to normal.

Wheels are a personal choice for style. With the '04 AT, you have ALOT of choices available that will fit just fine. 19's for looks, 18's for performance.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
If you drop the car that much, you'll probabaly wear out the stock shocks pretty fast. For ~2", it'd be easier and cheaper in the long run to get Springs/Shocks or a Coil-Over right off the bat.

If your drop is ~1" - 1.5" you *might* be able to run the stock shock and have them wear pretty close to normal.

Wheels are a personal choice for style. With the '04 AT, you have ALOT of choices available that will fit just fine. 19's for looks, 18's for performance.
it's a good idea to get springs/shocks or coilovers for 1.5"-2" drop. as for wheels, since you have auto, there are unlimited options. Just make sure the offset is within range.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checkout the groupbuy going on. The first thing I did was buy the full A-Spec underbody spoiler kit. The car looks awesome and more complete with it.

The price is fair and includes shipping, which was a steal for me in Cali. This is the first mod I did.

Wheels will take some thinking. Do you want looks, performance, or both? A lot of people go for the accessory 18" wheels or the A-Spec wheels. It's a tough decision with many factors involved.

Check out the "performance" section to see what others are doing e.g. TB spacer, Intake, exhausts.

Also, check out how others have upgraded their audio systems.

The nice thing is that we have a pretty active community with lots of pix of what others have tried.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's for getting NBP instead of WDP.

j/k, nothin' but love in this community.