3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I got Sued by DUVAL ACURA for $440......

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got Sued by DUVAL ACURA for $440......

Sorry about the long story guys

This is Duval Acura in Jacksonville, Florida. Hopefully this thread will help someone in here dealing with anything similar now or in the future. Duval Acura has always treated me kinda funny. I have no clue why. Beats me....... could be my age, race, my ugly looks, or they just dont like me. Maybe I stink. I don't know, but they've always treated me like scum until I stopped using their services early this yr.

I had an accident in June. June 19th to be precise. Ran over some metal rod on the highway that ripped 3 of my tires and messed up 2 rims when it split. Duval Acura was the closest dealership to the accident scene so that's where my vehicle got towed to unfortunately. I'd learnt better than to deal with Duval Acura a long time ago and under normal circumstances would have driven to Orange Park dealership about 20 miles further.

I called my insurance and had to wait 2 days for them to inspect the vehicle before any work gets done on it. They showed up on the 21st and in my absence conducted their evaluation with the service rep. I was then contacted by the rep and told it was going to cost $2,400 to replace 2 rims and 3 tires on the vehicle. I thought this was an outrageous price to pay for factory wheels and tires so I opted to replace the whole set with some aftermarket 18" Motegi's which came up to $1,800 before taxes. I specificaly asked what was included in the $1800 quote and was told by the service rep and the parts store rep TOGETHER that it included labor, balance, rotation and installation. Then I was also given a C.O.D bill reflecting said price. My insurance deductible is $1000, but given the price drop from factory wheels to the after-market wheels, I would only have to tender roughly $500 to supplement insurance check of $1400.

To cut the long story short, I was told 3 days later on the 24th that my vehicle was ready for pickup. I showed up, tendered $500 and was given my vehicle along with a reciept stamped "PAID Jun 24, 2006" nad scribbled on "Balance due from Insurance company". 2 days later I recieved the check made out jointly to Duval Acura and I. I immediately went to the dealership and paid the check in. On my way out, the service rep stopped me and told me we were'nt done yet. He had another document for me. He got on the computer and commenced to make up another bill from scratch, while fiddling around on his calculator I asked him what he was doing and he told me I still had another bill to pay which came up to $440 supposedly for labor. I refused to take it. I was dumbfounded. How do u make up a bill after the fact? After working on the vehicle and getting paid?

The assistant manager was called and he commenced to talk to me like I'm some 3rd class retarded citizen. All along, I'm the one being civil. He then walked out on me while I was talking and left me with the rep. I spoke to the rep for a sec and told him it's getting late. I'll be back another day and we'll sort this out. I cant even pay u right now if I want to cos I havent been paid yet. He asked me to wait while he runs that by the asst mgr so I did. He came back and told me the manager said he should seize my vehicle. lmao.... My own vehicle? I laughed at this point and told him the key's in my pocket. He's free to seize it whenever he's ready. I'm a non-violent guy, but I'm no pushover either at 6"7, 250lbs. I was curious to see how they intended to seize my vehicle. Either way, I left because it started getting dark.

Next day, I went to the Orange Park dealership and spoke to the manager over there seeking proffesional opinion on what I should do. He said I owed them nothing and shouldn't give them anything. Period. Made sense. Either way, I had to go to the dealership and sort it out so they dont fool around with my credit. I went there and tried to speak with the asst manager and he was being indignant once more. He threatened to call my insurance company and get me locked up for insurance fraud if I refuse to pay. I refused to and he got on the phone, called up my insurance company, and sure as the sky's blue, this guy reported a paying customer who bought a $36,000 car from them of commiting a felony- over $440. Insurance company told him off. Told him I didnt do anything wrong and I gave them the check I was issued so they have nothing to do with this. In either case, I was entitled to do whatever I pleased with my insurance check. The asst mgr got frustrated and referred me to the Manager.

Now the manager too, tried to intimidate me by talking about calling the cops, stripping my vehicle of all 4 rims and tires and calling my insurance company to report fraud. Once again, in my presence, this guy called my insurance company. Another rep answered and he reported that I was commiting insurance fraud. At this point I got up and warned him about making such allegations, stating that it had batter be the last time he muttered those words to anybody concerning me or we'd sort it out in court. The lady then told him I hadn't commited any crime too. At this point he tries threatening to sue me and said I signed the document giving them permission to fix the vehicle for $2400 while pointing at a document. I asked him to show me the signature and he flipped to the page where it was supposed to be only to realise they never did give me any documents so my signature wasnt there. You'd think at this point these idiots would leave me alone.

I got a subpoena for a later date to a small claims court and enclosed were their "evidence exhibits". My reciept had just been doctored. The stamped payment date had been adjusted and written over to reflect the 26th, instead of the 24th when I paid it. This was done so the bill could match with the second bill they gave me after the fact. This wasn't the end of it. Later on in court these guys tendered "evidence" to support their claim. They had my signature on a document giving them permission to fix my vehicle for $2400. Upon further inspection I realised "Oh sh*t! That is NOT my signature." It was FORGED! I challenged them on it right in front of the judge and they claimed it was my signature. I showed them other documents with my signature and they fessed up on it. They said it was my signature, that I had signed it the day when I paid for my vehicle. Ladies and gents, these guys extracted my digital signature from their signature database, and superimposed it on this document giving them permission to work on my vehicle! And I made them admit to it in front of the judge! Another funny thing is, I had signed the signature on the 24th, and the document was dated on the 27th. My vehicle started getting fixed on the 22nd. So how did I sign an agreement for them to fix my vehicle 3 days AFTER it was fixed and returned to me?

I won the case. I dont have to pay them sh*t. At this point I'm just sooooooo pissed off and infuriated I'm actually putting together a piece for the local news here. Jacksonville is a military town and I happen to be in the military. I'm meeting with the base newspaper agency to put in this story. Hopefully it will headline and people will be warned about doing business with these guys. I'm not stopping there either. I'm going to NBC, Fox, anybody who cares to listen and I'm exposing these theives for who they are. Better Business Bureau too. And then I'm pressing criminal charges on the forgery count. After some research I realised it's actually a Felony class A or B which could net whoever did it up to 20yrs incarceration. For all the time I had to spend running around looking for a lawyer I couldnt afford, and the time off work and stress, they will pay. I mean, I'm so broke I had to represent myself in court. I represented myself in court and still won against their lawyer. That's how obvious it was that they were scheming! They think it's over. I'm just waiting to speak with the Judge and make sure I'm not doing anything illegal by taking this up with the media before I do so. It's f**king ON!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Advanced

By the way, a little side note/knowledge

I didnt know this until this incident but when you sign for a credit card payment on a digital keypad, your signature is saved in a database. This signature is as valid as a paper and ink signature and it's actually advised to avoid signing digital pads cos it's vulnerable to such forgery. Since it's in a digital form it can easily be manipulated and for anyone with access to your credit card info (such as the dealership) and your digital signature the sky is the limit.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't you sue them for slander and forgery or something .. I would of had someone locked up for the forgery issue, last time I checked that's a felony
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Racer

Good for you. Justice prevailed.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Hope the people that are responsible get what they deserve. Karma will ge them. It's a great thing that let as many people as possible know about these scums.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Racer

wow thats some story... sorry to hear that they did all that just for 440 bucks. That is just sad to see something like this coming from a professional company. Acura must be pissed off at Duval Acura for this. Good job in winning the case though, even though it was a no-brainer. Keep us posted in what happens.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Can't you sue them for slander and forgery or something .. I would of had someone locked up for the forgery issue, last time I checked that's a felony
I screwed up on that count. Well, seing as I'm not a lawyer and it was my first time in a situation like that, I didn't go about some things the right way. I've been very busy lately and I didnt meet the deadline to countersue. At the last minute, a week before the case, I was advised by someone to file a motion asking to permission to. It went thru, but I didn't plead my case as good as a lawyer would have. Everyone says if I had a lawyer I would have hurt them real bad. Oh well.
Their lawyer actually WARNED me after the case that I had better drop my counterclaim and just settle cos when I lose the case, they would be coming after me full force. Threatened to contact my command and DFAS to have them allot money from my paycheck for whatever sum they felt like every month till they're paid their lawyer fees and the $440. I took my chances. Was stressful and all but I just couldn't keep letting them push me around. Now I'm free, there's nothing they can do to me, and I have a wonderful story to give them some exposure with. Funny how the tables turn
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Wow! Congrats on the win. Justice prevails. Regarding the keypad signatures, the majority of the ones I've used or so busted up, they wouldn't be able to read a letter, let alone a signature. I've signed "XXX" and no one cared.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Wow! Congrats on the win. Justice prevails. Regarding the keypad signatures, the majority of the ones I've used or so busted up, they wouldn't be able to read a letter, let alone a signature. I've signed "XXX" and no one cared.
I know what you mean. Even if you tried your best to sign a perfect signature on a digital pad, it will always come out jacked up. That's how come I could tell the signature "wasn't mine" without a second glance.

@ EnvisionTL and everyone above- Thanks, and I'd be sure to keep you posted. Hopefully I wont need to cos you'll be following it in the media
Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's messed up! :angryfire I hope you get some serious compensation/settlement for this from that dealership. I hope the story gets to every news station!
moreover, try to screw a person serving the country!? WTF is wrong with them Duval Acura
can you ask the military attorneys to help?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Other threads about same dealerships antics, by other forum members

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=duval

and

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/verizons-express-network-now-free-139515/

These guys are just wonderful........

@ enigmaos- There's only so much they are allowed to do. Thanks tho
Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Duval Acura..... thieves

Originally Posted by Georgiapeach
My husband had an accident not even a bad one at that he hit a curb hard the only thing that was done was the replacements of two rims, two tires, and an alignment and they claim that the front bumper underneath needed to be repainted. It didn't look like it needed to be repainted to us and we even took pictures of it and no paint was missing at all. They suppossly sent it to a body shop to get it painted and gave us a bootleg receipt from the body shop. We don’t think that they sent it in to the body shop at all because from what we saw it didn’t need to be repainted. They had or car for over two weeks without a loaner and they ripped off our insurance company just for those minor repairs they charged our insurance company $5,000.00. I would not even be concerned with how much they ripped off our insurance company but for the fact that our insurance increased like $600.00 a hundred dollars extra a month for the six month policy. I just think that they are very shady there and I think that they are always trying to get over on people. After that day we never took our car back there for anything. We only was going there because it was close to where we used to live, we lived off of Mayport Road. Acura of Orange Park was like 45 minutes away but after that we just didn't even worry about those 45 minutes because it was well worth the ride to not get ripped off and to have sucking service. Since we didn’t take the car to where the Insurance company recommended us to take it our rental car didn’t last but for a week so for a whole week we didn’t have a rental car and we didn’t have our car or a loaner. I called every day to get a status on the car, I mean every day for the two weeks and day that they had the car and ever day I get it is being worked on. It was taking them so long to do those minor repairs so the insurance company even called to see what was going on and why it was taking so long and our service guy told the insurance guy that our car sat at the shop a whole day with out being touch because the technician that was fixing it was sick. But mind you I had call that very same day and I got oh it being worked on and that we would have it tomorrow. The tomorrows turned into a whole week. Then when the car was finally finished being fixed the insurance company had not sent over the check because at first it was only supposed to be like $2500.00 which I thought was still way to much but then they increased the amount to $5,000.00 so and agent had to come back out to see why they need more money. So the car was ready but they hadn’t got paid yet so the insurance guy told me to tell them to give me this form (forgot what the form was called). The form was saying that the check could be written directly to Duval Acura instead of me and my husband so they didn’t have to deal with us any more but the service guy didn’t even tell us about that form and they were refusing to release our car until they got their check. Mind you that the insurance guy had already talked to the service guy and told him about that form but the service guy failed to tell us that, trying to bargain us saying well that they could not release our car until they got their check. I called the insurance guy and told him that they were refusing to release our car because they were not paid yet, the insurance guy told me about that form so I asked for the form filled out the form then they gave us or car. Shady I shall say. The next week a representative call to see how the service was I told her all of this and he was fired. This happened last year though not this year so just maybe their service department has improved a little but I seriously doubt that though.

Originally Posted by MikeS
The reason I upgraded to Acura in the first place was the reliability and continued great service my Honda Accords in the past have brought me. When it was time to upgrade Acura was a logical choice.

Over the years of ownership of the TL it has been plauged with minor but irriatating problems, i.e. seat squeeks, sunroof squeeks, rattles here and there.

I have taken the TL to Acura for every service interval and oil change and the latest just downright pisses me off! I went to Duval Acura in Jacksonville, Florida for the 60K service for a price of $375. For that price they were supposed to replace every fluid in the vehicle. a variety of adjustments and a boatlaod of inspections. I also complained of a brake squeel when stopping.

I picked up my car, paid for the service and was advised the brakes were fine and had plenty of pad left. The fronts were replaced at 30K under warranty along with the rotors (for those of you with 2001 and below it was a service bulletin for weak ass thin rotors).

I leave the dealership and at the first stop light hear the break squeek again. The next week I took it into Goodyear that regularly services my other vehicles. Get this, the Master Tech called me back to the service department to shop me a few things. First, the power steering fluid was brown and did not get replaced, I had a broken motor mount, the brake squeek was caused by incorrectly installing the pads without the greasekit it comes with and get this my belts were fraid and worn. The irritating thing about the belts was that for about 15K miles I have been complaining to Acura about a ticking noise coming from the engine. Once the belts were replaced the noise went away.

I had Goodyear take care of the items needing attention and went back to Acura for some satisfaction. I left a message with the Service Manager who in turn had his Service Advisor call me (chiken sh**). I told him how dissapointed I was and I demanded satisfacation in the way of refund. He called me back two days later and get this mailed me a $75 coupon off my next service. What bullshi*, they never fully performed the service contracted to in the first place let alone the credit did not cover the $115 charge to replace the sterring fluid.

All in all I love our TL, but Acura is completely letting me down when it comes to maitaining and servicing the vehicle. Makes me wonder how much other stuff they missed over my 4.5 years of ownership.

Needless to say I will not have Acura maintain the vehicle any longer. What a bunch of losers!!!

Oh, how I hate these thieves!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can acura corp take some action in this matter? Maybe it worth giving a call or file a report.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Acura Client Services

You should also send a copy of your News writeup to

Acura Client Services
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Old 10-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tonywp75
Can acura corp take some action in this matter? Maybe it worth giving a call or file a report.
I was about to ask you how to contact Acura corp but I'm guessing that's the info Arrakis001 just posted.

I don't know what I'm contacting them for at this point though, seeing as the deed's been done already. Frankly speaking, I'm just tired of dealing with Acura and my car's starting to get on my nerves. I almost feel like a complete fool for spending as much as I did on buying the vehicle after dealing with the cabin noises, rattles and most of all the customer service.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Call JAG while you're at it
Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 PM
whut

I tried to use the "Contact Us" link at Duval Acura's website to give them the ol' "congratulations, you're about to become famous" email but it won't connect. Has anybody else attempted to inform them about this thing called "the internet" and the fact that this stuff goes out worldwide?

Anyway, the here's the link if anybody else wants to try:

http://www.duvalacura.com/en_US/

Also, I'm cross-posting this at some other forums I belong to. Incidents like this get alot of attention.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:50 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
They were allowed an attorney in small claims? Thats pretty weird. Good job on the victory.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 PM
One on the right for me

Does FL civil procedure law preclude a second suit? I know some states require you to counterclaim in the same claim, but quite a few do not require but just give you the option.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Call JAG while you're at it
I doubt there's ANYTHING JAG can do about it. Acura's a civilian entity.
Believe it or not, this kind of treatment is common around military bases cos it's so easy to exploit us. We really have little or no say when businesses come against us like this. That's why these guys threatened to call DFAS and request that they allot my paychecks to their account. Cos it's that easy. When you're in the military, if any business says u owe them, it's not hard for them to force the money out of your account. As easy as a phone call. And that's what Acura's representative was banking on when he was trying to intimidate me into dropping my counter-claim. I just laughed and told him I'll be oujt of the military in a couple of days so he should try some other threat. But yeah, the military can pretty much allot your own money to your spouse/ex/business claimant/whoever feels they have dibs on it. Cool stuff. That makes it easy for leeches like this to threaten and screw with us.

@ Orangina- Not sure. Dont really know much about the law.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the guy that representerd the dealership was a lawyer, btu he did seem like one.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Thumbs up

wow thats a hell of a story. you stood your ground...well done. I would send a copy of this to Acura Corporate as said above...ridiculous.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TallDarknFugly
I was about to ask you how to contact Acura corp but I'm guessing that's the info Arrakis001 just posted.

I don't know what I'm contacting them for at this point though, seeing as the deed's been done already. Frankly speaking, I'm just tired of dealing with Acura and my car's starting to get on my nerves. I almost feel like a complete fool for spending as much as I did on buying the vehicle after dealing with the cabin noises, rattles and most of all the customer service.

Glad to hear you won your case. I am sure if you tell customer service your story, it will bring some much needed attention to this dealership that keeps on ripping people off. Maybe Acura will take the appropriate measures to deal with them. Esp. since your not the only person they screwed over, there is plenty of stories about this dealership taking advantage of people and its not fair to us since we all have acuras.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:59 PM
One on the right for me

I
@ Orangina- Not sure. Dont really know much about the law.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the guy that representerd the dealership was a lawyer, btu he did seem like one.

Quick glance at the laws seem to say its compulsory. Oh well, you had your day in court and won and made them look like idiots.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job.....stick it to them hard, my friend. Then break it off.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Congrats on your lawsuit. Im here in orange park too and never have gone to a different dealer besides the Op one. Btw do you know if the Black tsx with the ronjon wheels and kit is still in the show room?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Advanced

Funny momment-

When I was arguing with the MAnager, he made the threat about stripping my vehicle of all tires and wheels and I laughed.

"My vehicle? My car, that I paid for? My wheels and tires I just paid $1800 for?"

"Yes, We'll take the wheels all off and keep em until you complete your payment"

"Hahahahahaha, lmao........... hillarious!" I dig into my pocket and pull out a thick wad of cash, count out $440 from it and place it on the desk.

"that's the money you say I owe you. $440, all there but I'm not giving it to you cos I don't owe you jacksh*t......... but I'll tell you what tho. Look out there, thru your window....... You see the black TL with the black motegi rims? Yeah, that's mine." smack the money on the table and complete my statement, " I got $440 that says nobody in this whole dealership takes a bug off my windshield, let alone touch my f*cking wheels!"

Bewildered look on wide eyed dummy's face, "So you have the money. Why dont u wanna pay us?"

"Cos I don't owe you. That's why! It's principle, silly!"
Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bklyn02TypeS
Glad to hear you won your case. I am sure if you tell customer service your story, it will bring some much needed attention to this dealership that keeps on ripping people off. Maybe Acura will take the appropriate measures to deal with them. Esp. since your not the only person they screwed over, there is plenty of stories about this dealership taking advantage of people and its not fair to us since we all have acuras.
Makes sense. I'll probably end up drafting them a letter soon.

@ tommyt1- I'm not sure....... I really don't "notice" TSX's. There's a sweet looking RL in there tho. That I know......
Old 10-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Photographer

The assistant manager was called and he commenced to talk to me like I'm some 3rd class retarded citizen. All along, I'm the one being civil. He then walked out on me while I was talking and left me with the rep. I spoke to the rep for a sec and told him it's getting late. I'll be back another day and we'll sort this out. I cant even pay u right now if I want to cos I havent been paid yet. He asked me to wait while he runs that by the asst mgr so I did. He came back and told me the manager said he should seize my vehicle. lmao.... My own vehicle? I laughed at this point and told him the key's in my pocket. He's free to seize it whenever he's ready. I'm a non-violent guy, but I'm no pushover either at 6"7, 250lbs. I was curious to see how they intended to seize my vehicle. Either way, I left because it started getting dark.
Funny momment-

When I was arguing with the MAnager, he made the threat about stripping my vehicle of all tires and wheels and I laughed.

"My vehicle? My car, that I paid for? My wheels and tires I just paid $1800 for?"

"Yes, We'll take the wheels all off and keep em until you complete your payment"

"Hahahahahaha, lmao........... hillarious!" I dig into my pocket and pull out a thick wad of cash, count out $440 from it and place it on the desk.

"that's the money you say I owe you. $440, all there but I'm not giving it to you cos I don't owe you jacksh*t......... but I'll tell you what tho. Look out there, thru your window....... You see the black TL with the black motegi rims? Yeah, that's mine." smack the money on the table and complete my statement, " I got $440 that says nobody in this whole dealership takes a bug off my windshield, let alone touch my f*cking wheels!"

Bewildered look on wide eyed dummy's face, "So you have the money. Why dont u wanna pay us?"

"Cos I don't owe you. That's why! It's principle, silly!"
my first post. anyways i found some inconsistencies in your story. is your story fictitious? its hard to believe it now...
Old 10-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DNPhotography
my first post. anyways i found some inconsistencies in your story. is your story fictitious? its hard to believe it now...
Different days. All this happened in a span of 1 week. The day I spoke to the manager was the last day I ever set foot in that dealership. The 27th of June.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
No wonder i just hate Dealers
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
im a 2nd gen'er lol ... but i noticed your thread and read the whole thing... this sort of thing makes me sick to hear, because its so easy for 1 man to get destroyed by these scumbag companies... good for you .. especially since you represented yourself... you really should not let this end easy for them... bring them back to court as much as you can for as much money as you can... i understand you need to work and support yourself, but im sure theres plenty you can get them to compensate you for... do not let them forget about this... and keep us posted
Old 10-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any other dealers such as bmw, mb, and lex ever treat their customers like that? (industry norm?)
Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Advanced

Not really one to care about peoples opinions but in this case I know it's hard to believe so I'll go ahead and bite the bait.

My copy. Notice the date- 24th matches on both reciepts. The dealership reciept and the stapled mastercard reciept.

Notice how the date's been changed here. I'm one of those people who keep copies of stuff for years. I have ALL the originals. They didn't bank on that.

Document they brought to court to prove that I gave them consent and agreed to pay extra $440.

No need for me to make up stories. You have to have been there in the courtroom to understand how ridiculous it was. I had to hold back from laughing at a point. Even the money they said I owed, they couldn't show the judge how they came up with the figure. The Judge herself had to pull out a calculatorr and try to figure it out for about 20mins to no avail. Till today, I don't know how they camne up with the digits. I simply think they were trying to scam my insurance company. I didnt fall for it and opted for cheaper stuff but they still wanted that last 400 bucks I saved myself by going cheap, so they made up another bill in other to achieve my full deductible. Sad but true.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 AM
RickRoush03

damn, send the story to fox, they like this kind of stuff
Old 10-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Sorry about the long story guys

This is Duval Acura in Jacksonville, Florida. Hopefully this thread will help someone in here dealing with anything similar now or in the future. Duval Acura has always treated me kinda funny. I have no clue why. Beats me....... could be my age, race, my ugly looks, or they just dont like me. Maybe I stink. I don't know, but they've always treated me like scum until I stopped using their services early this yr.

I had an accident in June. June 19th to be precise. Ran over some metal rod on the highway that ripped 3 of my tires and messed up 2 rims when it split. Duval Acura was the closest dealership to the accident scene so that's where my vehicle got towed to unfortunately. I'd learnt better than to deal with Duval Acura a long time ago and under normal circumstances would have driven to Orange Park dealership about 20 miles further.

I called my insurance and had to wait 2 days for them to inspect the vehicle before any work gets done on it. They showed up on the 21st and in my absence conducted their evaluation with the service rep. I was then contacted by the rep and told it was going to cost $2,400 to replace 2 rims and 3 tires on the vehicle. I thought this was an outrageous price to pay for factory wheels and tires so I opted to replace the whole set with some aftermarket 18" Motegi's which came up to $1,800 before taxes. I specificaly asked what was included in the $1800 quote and was told by the service rep and the parts store rep TOGETHER that it included labor, balance, rotation and installation. Then I was also given a C.O.D bill reflecting said price. My insurance deductible is $1000, but given the price drop from factory wheels to the after-market wheels, I would only have to tender roughly $500 to supplement insurance check of $1400.

To cut the long story short, I was told 3 days later on the 24th that my vehicle was ready for pickup. I showed up, tendered $500 and was given my vehicle along with a reciept stamped "PAID Jun 24, 2006" nad scribbled on "Balance due from Insurance company". 2 days later I recieved the check made out jointly to Duval Acura and I. I immediately went to the dealership and paid the check in. On my way out, the service rep stopped me and told me we were'nt done yet. He had another document for me. He got on the computer and commenced to make up another bill from scratch, while fiddling around on his calculator I asked him what he was doing and he told me I still had another bill to pay which came up to $440 supposedly for labor. I refused to take it. I was dumbfounded. How do u make up a bill after the fact? After working on the vehicle and getting paid?

Next day, I went to the Orange Park dealership and spoke to the manager over there seeking proffesional opinion on what I should do. He said I owed them nothing and shouldn't give them anything. Period. Made sense. Either way, I had to go to the dealership and sort it out so they dont fool around with my credit. I went there and tried to speak with the asst manager and he was being indignant once more. He threatened to call my insurance company and get me locked up for insurance fraud if I refuse to pay. I refused to and he got on the phone, called up my insurance company, and sure as the sky's blue, this guy reported a paying customer who bought a $36,000 car from them of commiting a felony- over $440. Insurance company told him off. Told him I didnt do anything wrong and I gave them the check I was issued so they have nothing to do with this. In either case, I was entitled to do whatever I pleased with my insurance check. The asst mgr got frustrated and referred me to the Manager.

Now the manager too, tried to intimidate me by talking about calling the cops, stripping my vehicle of all 4 rims and tires and calling my insurance company to report fraud. Once again, in my presence, this guy called my insurance company. Another rep answered and he reported that I was commiting insurance fraud. At this point I got up and warned him about making such allegations, stating that it had batter be the last time he muttered those words to anybody concerning me or we'd sort it out in court. The lady then told him I hadn't commited any crime too. At this point he tries threatening to sue me and said I signed the document giving them permission to fix the vehicle for $2400 while pointing at a document. I asked him to show me the signature and he flipped to the page where it was supposed to be only to realise they never did give me any documents so my signature wasnt there. You'd think at this point these idiots would leave me alone.

I got a subpoena for a later date to a small claims court and enclosed were their "evidence exhibits". My reciept had just been doctored. The stamped payment date had been adjusted and written over to reflect the 26th, instead of the 24th when I paid it. This was done so the bill could match with the second bill they gave me after the fact. This wasn't the end of it. Later on in court these guys tendered "evidence" to support their claim. They had my signature on a document giving them permission to fix my vehicle for $2400. Upon further inspection I realised "Oh sh*t! That is NOT my signature." It was FORGED! I challenged them on it right in front of the judge and they claimed it was my signature. I showed them other documents with my signature and they fessed up on it. They said it was my signature, that I had signed it the day when I paid for my vehicle. Ladies and gents, these guys extracted my digital signature from their signature database, and superimposed it on this document giving them permission to work on my vehicle! And I made them admit to it in front of the judge! Another funny thing is, I had signed the signature on the 24th, and the document was dated on the 27th. My vehicle started getting fixed on the 22nd. So how did I sign an agreement for them to fix my vehicle 3 days AFTER it was fixed and returned to me?

I won the case. I dont have to pay them sh*t. At this point I'm just sooooooo pissed off and infuriated I'm actually putting together a piece for the local news here. Jacksonville is a military town and I happen to be in the military. I'm meeting with the base newspaper agency to put in this story. Hopefully it will headline and people will be warned about doing business with these guys. I'm not stopping there either. I'm going to NBC, Fox, anybody who cares to listen and I'm exposing these theives for who they are. Better Business Bureau too. And then I'm pressing criminal charges on the forgery count. After some research I realised it's actually a Felony class A or B which could net whoever did it up to 20yrs incarceration. For all the time I had to spend running around looking for a lawyer I couldnt afford, and the time off work and stress, they will pay. I mean, I'm so broke I had to represent myself in court. I represented myself in court and still won against their lawyer. That's how obvious it was that they were scheming! They think it's over. I'm just waiting to speak with the Judge and make sure I'm not doing anything illegal by taking this up with the media before I do so. It's f**king ON!

Congratulations on your win I agree with you one hundred percent, I am glade that somebody stood up to them and won. This is from some one who was screwed by Duval Acura as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Photographer

hmm if they forged your signature some legal action should be taken against this company as forgery is against the law. anyways good job!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Holy crap.

You NEED to report this to Acura Corporate. Immediately. Acura should not tolerate its dealerships stealing from customers. Forgery is a FELONY! The people involved should pay with jail time. Press on with the charges, brother, you can't let them get away with that.

Oh yeah, and the TV story will be precious.

Sounds like yet another warning for those of you living in JAX to stay away from this particular dealership.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Advanced

I'm not defending the dealership. But, the "PAID" stamp only indicates HOW MUCH you paid, not that it was PAID IN FULL. If you look at the invoice total of $1979 and subtract out the insurance check and your $500, you still owe $440.

JAG could have advised you as to the best course of action. I'm glad you won your case. I hate dealing with shady companies.

Not really one to care about peoples opinions but in this case I know it's hard to believe so I'll go ahead and bite the bait.

My copy. Notice the date- 24th matches on both reciepts. The dealership reciept and the stapled mastercard reciept.

Notice how the date's been changed here. I'm one of those people who keep copies of stuff for years. I have ALL the originals. They didn't bank on that.

Document they brought to court to prove that I gave them consent and agreed to pay extra $440.

No need for me to make up stories. You have to have been there in the courtroom to understand how ridiculous it was. I had to hold back from laughing at a point. Even the money they said I owed, they couldn't show the judge how they came up with the figure. The Judge herself had to pull out a calculatorr and try to figure it out for about 20mins to no avail. Till today, I don't know how they camne up with the digits. I simply think they were trying to scam my insurance company. I didnt fall for it and opted for cheaper stuff but they still wanted that last 400 bucks I saved myself by going cheap, so they made up another bill in other to achieve my full deductible. Sad but true.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Like most Americans, I am very pro-business since their success benefits all of us. But I seriously hate it when a business acts outside of their mission or worse, outright screws their patrons and breaks the law. I hope you continue with your thrust and show these clowns for what they are.. good for you!

Letters to local papers and radio and TV stations, to the Better Business Bureau, to Acura Corporate, to the owner of the dealership, and posting on this site are good starts.

Oh BTW. Conduct your business by check when possible and if you are leary of a business. write on the memo line, "Final payment" or "Paid in full". If the business accepts the check and cashes it, you're in the clear. Of course, before doing this, make sure your memo statement is correct and can be backed up with evidence like receipts or a contract or such.

Good luck with your mission. Hope you can put the screws to these jerks.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
yo man best of luck to you! hopefully other dealerships take this as example of what can happen when you don't take care of/mistreat your customers...

Quick Reply: So I got Sued by DUVAL ACURA for $440......