Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SNHOND3 compatable with 04' TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNHOND3 compatable with 04' TL?

Hey I have an ipod, and at the time, I was looking at the more affordable Acura TSX. While I was searching the forums I saw that with the SNHOND3 you can run an Aux on the stereo and have it conect to the ipod via RCA...

Well due to financial reasons, I am able to up the anti and get the TL, but I was wondering if either there is something similar or if the SNHOND3 can be used to have an RCA Aux port on the car. Thanks for your help
Old 04-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
me too...

I would like the answer to this as well...aux in would rock!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

that should work for the TL as well. The TL, TSX, and new accord all have the same stuff in the back. go to www.soundgate.com for the info. they have it spelled out there and the customer service is good.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Racer

Just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-09-2004, 12:21 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The adapter will work, however, you will lose the XM radio function. You will also lose the navigation hookup if you opt not to splice the cables. There's a few ipod threads on the board so do a search and see if anything comes up.

I contacted their techs and that's what they told me.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

I ordered one, and I'm having it installed on Monday.
XM loss is no big deal, and I don't have the Navigation system. So it should be pretty straightforward.

I'll report back once it's done with a final word on how it works.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Racer

would it be possible to use a switch and switch between the XM? When the time comes around to getting the car (hopefully very soon), I will scan XM to see if it is worth to hold onto...

Let us know how things turn out
Old 04-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs down

As promised, here is my report.

Does it work? Technically, yes.

Is it a good solution? So far, NO.

I just got back from spending over an hour at my local pro car audio install shop. They managed to plug it into the back of the stereo (went behind it in the driver-side well). Plugged in the iPod. Tuned the CD player to "CDC" - whatever that is. Played the iPod, and it sounded good.

The problems come when you turn the car off. When the car is re-started, the entire radio refuses to power on if that SNHOND3 box is plugged in. The only way to get it to work again is to turn off the car, unplug that box, turn the car back on, radio powers up like usual, then plug the input box back in and finally tune it to the "CDC" aux input (which seemed to work intermittently).

Needless to say, *bleah*. Who want that? Cables hanging out, plugging and unplugging stuff every time I start the car. It's time consuming, it puts wear and tear on equipment, and it's just plain ghetto.
Inelegant, to say the least.

So for the time being, I had them plug XM back in and left it pretty much like I brought it in. I did email Soundgate tech support about it to see if there is something that can be done about that issue, or to see if I have a defective unit. If that's the best they can do, I guess I'm stuck waiting on Blitzsafe, or using something like a cassette adapter or an FM modulator (preferably wired).

I'll update this post again once the issue is resolved.

(edit: My TL does not have the Navigation system installed, so that part wasn't even an issue. Those that do will have an even more complex install. And also, I am fine without XM - I would gladly give it up for a good sounding stereo aux input. You'll have to make your own decision on that.)
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you ever want to try a good FM modulator for your iPOD, try the
iTrip...
it has multiple frequencies (100) and
there is software to locate empty channels as you drive from town to town...
it never requires batteries either.

they also have it for 3rd Gen iPODs
Old 04-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Racer

Thanks for the update!

That sucks though that it is doing that, although I dont think they would make something that cost around 100 bucks and is doing this. In the TSX I didnt see anyone complaining with theirs and having the same problem...

Let us know what Soundgate has to say with your email, im very interested if they will fess up and say that with the TL, this is what we should expect with it installed, or if it is indeed a bad part and that it should work fine.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Racer

yea my friend has it, and here in Cali, all the high frequencies are being used, so he has to resort to something like 85.9, which dosnt sound very good at all... I dont want to have to worry about frequencies and all that junk, just want to play my music and drive.

Thanks for your suggestion though
Old 04-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Guys- trust me on this one: Get yourselves a wired, powered FM modulator and your problems are completely and cheaply solved. When the wired FM mod is turned 'on', it overwhelms all the radio stations and provides amazing sound via the FM tuner. No need to give up XM, no need to deal with awful wireless iTrip FM broadcasters. Any car install guy can hard-wire a powered FM modulator that terminates in your armrest or glove box in about an hour. Plug the headphone jack into the iPod and you're done. Conveniently, you can take the iPod out of the car and the wire's hidden so no one is aware that you've got anything non-stock going on. I had this setup with a 6 disc Alpine CDR/MP3 changer on my '00 RL and it was great, providing 1200 songs in the trunk. Now, however, I'm spoiled by the iPod and it's 4000+ songs so I've got to go iPod.....
Old 04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Which Powered FM modulator did you end up using for TL? Just received my IPOD-Mini, still need to load my music!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Racer

yea my other friend has a 6 cd in the trunk in his lexus, and that sounds pretty nice... His although only goes on 88.9 but thats fine, since he can listen to the radio and yet get really good sound from the hardwired FM Modulator.

PCM Motors is down the street from me, and one of my friends has conections there, so when I get my car I will go there with him and see what they can do.

Thanks for all your info/suggestions
Old 04-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Cruisin'

itrip blows

there's one by beklin that has all frequency range, but you can also have 4 presets which is a lot more convient than itrip
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

no reply yet...

If this Soundgate module ends up not working like I want, then I'm definitely going with a wired FM modulator. The installer suggested it as a viable alternative, and said the sound quality is second only to a direct stereo input.

The other options of course are cassette adapter, and wireless FM modulator.
But poor sound quality has pretty much eliminted those.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by browndognj
Which Powered FM modulator did you end up using for TL? Just received my IPOD-Mini, still need to load my music!
There isn't a specific "brand"- it's just whatever brand your friendly nearest car install dealer chooses to use. It's just a box with a bunch of wires that you'll never see. Just make sure to ask him to snake the wire that you'll connect to the iPod in a hidden place that you're definitely planning on accessing it when you want to change tracks. I'd recommend the armrest compartment or one of the springy dash doors that no one uses.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:33 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Frankly, all of these problems have deterred me from going with an auxiliary in for the iPod. I ended up buying DiscWelder Bronze and burned the music that I like to a DVD. A little more effort and not as much control (in terms of seeing what song's playing, etc), but it's good enough for me!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

bullet point instructions.

Originally Posted by Lore
Frankly, all of these problems have deterred me from going with an auxiliary in for the iPod. I ended up buying DiscWelder Bronze and burned the music that I like to a DVD. A little more effort and not as much control (in terms of seeing what song's playing, etc), but it's good enough for me!
what was the cost. can you provide bullet point instructions on how to record mpd's into dvd-a readable. I have dvd writer. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Racer

its 100 bucks, and limits to 99 songs per disc
Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Angry (insert cursing noises here)

Well, it's been a week, and I'm still waiting on a reply from Soundgate.

This should tell everybody - even if the product turns out to be okay (doubtful), you should probably avoid this company because their customer service sucks donkey balls.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:14 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

what was the cost. can you provide bullet point instructions on how to record mpd's into dvd-a readable. I have dvd writer. Thanks.
Sorry for the untimely response.

$104 ($99 + $5 shipping) for DiscWelder Bronze.

Simply decode your MP3s into WAV and add them to the DiscWelder interface. Really easy!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Intermediate

i think you had said max songs is 99. If true, why is that a limit, there should be room. In advance, thanks for the reply. On a separate note, I using an inexpensive cassette adapter for my IPOD-mini, I'm get VERY good sound quality. Am I an audiophile, no, but I know "good" sound!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:16 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

i think you had said max songs is 99. If true, why is that a limit, there should be room. In advance, thanks for the reply. On a separate note, I using an inexpensive cassette adapter for my IPOD-mini, I'm get VERY good sound quality. Am I an audiophile, no, but I know "good" sound!
99 tracks is a design limitation of both CD audio and DVD-Audio. I've actually come very close to filling the entire DVD-A when I hit 99 tracks. svtmike says he always runs out of space before hitting the 99 tracks. I suppose it really depends on the length of your music.

I've tried the cassette adapter solution before but the sound is too tingly for me. The DVD-Audio solution is a great stop-gap measure because 1) I don't ever have to charge the changer, 2) the disc can be controlled by steering wheel and head unit controls, and 3) the sound quality is great. Downsides include 1) cost of software, media, and burner 2) time necessary to burn the disc 3) no way to intuitively display the track titles and allow you to browse.

While I would love to have aux-in, I think I'll live.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Ok, I finally got a response from Soundgate tech support. Apparently the delay was because they never recieved my initial letter. Whatever.

Here's the response:
I am not sure I will have real good news for you at this point. We have noticed in a handful of the TL's that these are installed in that there is a communication error in and it causes an incompatibility with our interface in the car. This is tricky because we have not seen it in all of the TL's but have is some. What that tells us is that there is a tolerance issue with some of the cars and not with others. At this point we have the engineer working on tightening the part down and tracking this issue but to this point don't have a cure. We are working as fast as we can for this update in these few TL's but because of the nature of the problem I have no way of estimating a fix for the problem. You might consider a swap with logjam for a new interface to see if the tolerances will be any different on a new device, but I do think the issue is more in the car than the interface and believe that a new one will likely do the same thing. I will keep a copy of this here so if I find something new I can let you know, but for now I don't really have anything else. Sorry
So it's an admitted crapshoot. Or a carnival.
"Spend a hundred! Will it work on your car? We don't know! Try it and see!"

I'll see if I can get my money back. In the meantime, I'll get a wired FM transmitter installed and be done with it.

Moral of the story - Soundgate customer service isn't as bad as I thought, and you should avoid this item if you drive a '04 TL. At least until they get the bugs worked out.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Racer

hey thanks for the follow up... sorry I havnt been at my computer for awhile.

Thats some sad news to hear, since i was really ready to just go out and buy it. Well now I know not to touch it until there is a fix.

Let us know how your FM Transmitter works