Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slid into the mud

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Been there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slid into the mud

Last week was a wet one in Southern California. I was heading South over highway 241 when I suddenly lost traction and slid into the median strip. Fortunately, there was only a small lip to the pavement (no curb) and it was a soft landing. You can see where some molding came loose and will have to be replaced. I couldn't get out of the mud so a tow truck winched me out. Aside from a flat tire, the car was drivable and I brought it home. No estimate yet from the body shop as they haven't had it on the lift yet.

No one was hurt as I was mostly alone on the road. At the bottom of the pass, DOT was just putting together a sign that says, "Slippery when wet." Information I could have had 5 minutes earlier...

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. This was very early in the morning (still dark) and my cameraphone was wet. By way of orientation-- the southbound lanes are off to the camera's left. You can see the northbound lanes to the right, and small river that had formed in the middle of the median just a few feet to the right of my car.

And I had just washed it! The mud splatters are from entering the median basically sideways. I had been driving well under the speed limit, in retrospect I think I would have driven differently had I known just how slippery it was there. (I grew up in the pacific northwest, I know something about driving in rain-- this felt more like ice!)

First thing after the car gets fixed, those EL-42's go in the dumpster, just like my wife told me to the day before the accident.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you lose some of the aspec body kit? it looks like that in image 2!

i feel for you, glad you're ok!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by 04TL5ATNAV
First thing after the car gets fixed, those EL-42's go in the dumpster, just like my wife told me to the day before the accident.
I'm sorry to hear about your car. Hydroplaning is not fun! I've mentioned my experience with EL42s and hydroplaning, so I'm not surprised to hear about your accident. Definitely get rid of the Terroranzas and get some real tires.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Team NightHawk VP

ouch, i would be crying for days...i feel for ya too...

jerky, he lost the side skirt, not the a-spec side skirt
Old 10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

The 73 toll road had a bad problem when it opened, and several years later they were putting the asphault down.

Glad everyone was okay.

Michael
Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good you are okay. What tires you had? Was VSA off?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Been there

Hey everyone...

No aspec kit for me, yet! It was just the molding that goes under the doors that came off. The rear bumper detached from where it connects beneath the gas cap, but not so bad that I couldn't drive it. The rear mudflap came off, too.

VSA was definitely ON. It did nothing for me in this case. One second everything was fine, next second I was literally sideways. No chance to correct before I was beyond help.

I have the stock, old-formula EL-42's. Like I said, they are coming off just as soon as I get the car back. I guess I'm going to get the Pirelli Pzero M&S. It only rains a couple weeks per year here, but sheesh the EL-42's were bad, bad, bad.

I had the opportunity to use that strange hook that screws into the front bumper. That's what the tow truck used to winch me out. It seemed to work ok, except that if you screw that hook in all the way, it carves up the bumper plastic around the hole. The body shop wasn't sure if they could fix that, or have to replace the bumper cover.

Sorry, there aren't any more pictures. I couldn't bear to photograph it more before taking it to the shop.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm so glad I got rid of my Turanzas... sorry to hear about your car, glad you are ok and the car wasn't badly damaged
Old 10-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 10-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey everyone...

No aspec kit for me, yet! It was just the molding that goes under the doors that came off. The rear bumper detached from where it connects beneath the gas cap, but not so bad that I couldn't drive it. The rear mudflap came off, too.

VSA was definitely ON. It did nothing for me in this case. One second everything was fine, next second I was literally sideways. No chance to correct before I was beyond help.

I have the stock, old-formula EL-42's. Like I said, they are coming off just as soon as I get the car back. I guess I'm going to get the Pirelli Pzero M&S. It only rains a couple weeks per year here, but sheesh the EL-42's were bad, bad, bad.

I had the opportunity to use that strange hook that screws into the front bumper. That's what the tow truck used to winch me out. It seemed to work ok, except that if you screw that hook in all the way, it carves up the bumper plastic around the hole. The body shop wasn't sure if they could fix that, or have to replace the bumper cover.

Sorry, there aren't any more pictures. I couldn't bear to photograph it more before taking it to the shop.

Cheers.
Sorry to hear...

There are some WPD molding for sale on ebay (someone changed their to A-spec..you can get a good deal for those.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Intermediate

I grew up in the pacific northwest, I know something about driving in rain-- this felt more like ice.
Welcome to driving in the rain -- Southern California style. We get about 9 months with very little rain and oil gets to build up on the road surface all that time. First good rain and all that stuff floats to the surface. It can be very nasty.

My TL has less than 4000 miles on it, but with all the negative stuff I've read about the stock tires I'm thinking about springing for the Pirellis myself.

Sorry about your mishap.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:45 AM
What's a TL?

Glad everyone made it out safe within minimal damage to the TL. Maybe now is your chance to upgrage to the A-spec kit!! I know mention was made about the stock tires...I have to say, my upgrade to high performance tires (Nitto 555) has made driving in wet conditions a lot easier. These tires are really noisy, but they also stick really well.

All you so-cal-ers, lets be careful today and slow down...the rain is gonna suck...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Sorry to see your car damaged like that. Traction is definitely not one of the EL42's talents. I'm still trying to figure out what they do well. Just an all-around crappy tire. The Pirellis, Michelins, or Falkens will perform much better for you.

Mike
Old 10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Racer

yea its pretty bad here when it rains... everything is slick on the road. i love the contrast of dark mud on a white car though jk. glad to hear that no one got hurt and that you didnt do that much damage to your car.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Been there

Just a quick update-- the body shop could not find any undercarriage damage, so my total repair estimate is roughly $2,800. That's not bad at all, in my mind! They are going to recondition the front and rear bumpers, replace the side molding, and recondition the right side wheels which scuffed pretty bad in the accident.

Add to that a few hundred bucks for the Nero's or Falkens afterwards... aargh.

BTW, (off-topic) the rental car company gave me a base model Dodge Magnum to drive during the repair process. Gutless! Definitely no competition for the TL performance-wise, but seems to get even more looks than the TL. I can't tell if they are impressed, or laughing.