3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should've never went in for that oil change!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
to the op, assuming you cannot get out of your lease or undo what has been done, one possible option is continue on w/ the lease, drive the way you want to and at the end of the lease buy/finance the car and then make another impulse decision
Old 04-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least you realized you made a mistake! Some people might not until their car gets repossessed. Anyway, please dont take offense to the following, but since your a girl, guys there are looking to take advantage of that fact. Theyll spit any and all bullshit at you to make you keep your car. Go in informed, learn the laws, and stand firm as a rock! I have heard of some dealerships doing good-will returns (from friends of friends of friends of friends, so who knows if that is even correct). Maybe give them back this car on the basis that youll pay the govt rate of 45 cents a mile to reimburse them? Maybe you might have to buy your old car back buy paying them a thousand or something? But in any case, stand firm and stick to your guns. Best of Luck!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch! Upside down on your previous loan, then take a 3 yr lease with 10k miles for $680 a month, down payment on credit card.

Sounds like you need to take it back.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by mdt0034
ok, I know I asked you to give me advice on the car but I did not ask you to personally attack me, onsknth. I saw the car and my eyes got big. I know I probably made a mistake but you didn't have to go that far.
sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
At least you realized you made a mistake! Some people might not until their car gets repossessed. Anyway, please dont take offense to the following, but since your a girl, guys there are looking to take advantage of that fact. Theyll spit any and all bullshit at you to make you keep your car. Go in informed, learn the laws, and stand firm as a rock! I have heard of some dealerships doing good-will returns (from friends of friends of friends of friends, so who knows if that is even correct). Maybe give them back this car on the basis that youll pay the govt rate of 45 cents a mile to reimburse them? Maybe you might have to buy your old car back buy paying them a thousand or something? But in any case, stand firm and stick to your guns. Best of Luck!
As ankur said, they try to take advantage of females all the time. My advice if you ever go car shopping again, regardless of how much knowledge or research you may have, is to always bring along a guy with whom they might not be so quick to pull fast ones on. Its often a good idea to bring along somebody else anyway so you can play good cop bad cop with them. (they play hardball, walking out the door, dont want this or any offer, car is an overpriced pos, dealer can go to hell role, while you play the reasonable, willing to listen, want to buy this car role) Plus they can act as a sanity check.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Oh and FWIW
http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/questions221.shtml

Where are you from in Oregon anyways?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I feel bad for you, but I have to agree with leedogg - no matter how much you know about a car or how much you have (or in this case, have not) checked your numbers, bringing along a guy when buying a car almost always helps. if not, at least for a second opinion before you bite the bullet. ive gone with quite a few lady friends when they bought cars and we almost always had to go back to find another dealer because the deals were wrong, even though my friend(s) were ready to sign on the dotted line. girls are more emotional than guys, and almost always, are bigger sucker for buying new cars (no offense). its just the way things are, and salesmen know that.

that said, im not optimistic you can renegotiate or change this deal. there is just a lot of other paperwork involved that, unless the dealer has something big at stake with you (i.e. you are a big club founder and bring them lots of business or the like), they will not rather go through the hassle. you just have to suck this one up and chalk it to experience.

good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Oh and FWIW
http://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/questions221.shtml

Where are you from in Oregon anyways?
ouch...

Q: If I don't like the car I bought this weekend, can't I just return it within three days and get my money back?
A: No! Car buyers do not have this right. Once you sign the paper work, it will be difficult or impossible to undo the deal.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this deal http://www.acuraofbellevue.com/en_US/

Click on Internet deals then click on new car deals. 10k a year, $415 per mo., $3300 down
Old 04-06-2007, 03:54 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
It's too easy to be harsh on this one, I would be too, but you already got a dose. Enough already, I'm sure you feel bad enough. $600+/month is Mercedes territory, OUCH! I doubt the dealer is going to renegotiate anything, it won't benefit them at all. They made a killing off of you. Truth is you most definitely are going to go over that mileage...(My car already has 13k in 7 months. And I don't even go to work right now!!) Even being conservative, you're gonna lose some $$$. OK look on the bright side....

You do have a hott car now!

If you are stuck with the car then just enjoy it and be proud you can afford it. Money come, money go. Enjoy life, it's short, you can't take your money with you when you die. You'll be smarter on your next deal.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have a local "call for help" news guy? That is about the only way you are getting out of this one....went in for an oil change...they sold me a car...angle. And HOPE you can shame them out of the deal....otherwise....I would ask the mods to close this thread and stop even thinking about it and figure out how to pay it in the longrun. Sometimes lessons are like this....very expensive!

PS...I know...trust me....just look at my mod list. I should be in the 10's with this much money spent....or 11's at a minimum. (quarter mile times there) But I do all this to find I am right smack in the 13's....woohoo! For the same money I could have a 500+HP blown caddy.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Racer

Okay, I've been giving this some more thought. Gosh, it really is a crappy situation you got stuck with. You have lots of sympathy from me! We all make less than wise decisions in our lives and anyone who's flaming you for it really, really sucks. Buying a car for the sticker price isn't the worst thing a person can do.

At even at $40K for a totally, fully loaded TL-S, it's not a completely ridiculous price. When they first came out, I'm SURE folks were buying them at that price just because they wanted them. Were they foolish? Naw, they just liked the newest and greatest.

Even though I got a good deal on my 2006 lease, I inked the paper ONE DAY before they dealer got the 2007s on the lot and after the sales guy ASSURED me that there was NO difference between the two cars.

Yeah. Right.

Anyway... Here are some options and pros/cons:

1. You continue to pay what you're paying and just walk away at the end of the term. Painful, but it IS the path of least resistance.

2. Buy the lease out. You might even qualify for a new car loan (better rates) since the mileage is so low. However, you WILL get dinged state sales tax. For example, you're looking at $40,000 for the car and an additional $3,300 in tax if you're in Los Angeles, CA. With the lease, the tax is pay-as-you-go.

If you buy the lease out, definitely extend the warranty to 7/100,000. That TL will probably outlast you and me, but in the event that something DOES go wrong, it will probably be a pricy repair. The TL-S is going to hold good value, so maybe driving it for seven years isn't such a painful idea. Look at all the 1G and 2G TLs out there that still look and run GREAT!

Note that you can purchase the extended warranty ANY TIME before the original warranty runs out. So you have 4/50K to worry about finding the cash for it. You could probably score a warranty for FAR less than you think. Make dealers compete or, even better, MAKE the dealer that gave you this deal GIVE you the extended warranty as a gesture. What they did wasn't criminal, but it was crappy and even they would have to admit it if they were honest.

3. Put money aside every month to cover the extra mileage and be diligent about it. It's probably $.18 a mile from the sound of the lease. If so, you could set aside $90 a month to cover an extra 500 miles, you're ahead of the game. Not ideal, but something to think about. Just be sure you're careful about it. Maybe use automatic withdrawl to a savings account.

4. Sell the car private party, take the upside-down lease loss (including the loss on your trade) and lease/buy a less expensive car.

5. Renegotiate the lease if you can. Maybe get the lessor to agree to more miles for a slightly higher payment. Maybe you can even pre-purchase miles just in case.

Also, I'd be concerned that the car had 50 miles on it to start. Arguably you didn't buy a "new" car. New cars should have no more than 20 miles on them and THAT is a stretch. It sounds like this was probably a demo model or that it got a lot of test drive experience. If you have it noted on the DMV paperwork that the car had 50 miles, call a consumer advocacy group and ask them about what laws in your state consider new and used. If they sold you what is technically a used car under the premise that it's NEW, then they might be more willing to work with you.

Just some things to think about. But make your decisions carefully and take a little time to think it all over. How about spending the weekend driving your new TL-S and enjoying it while you decide? THEN make your decisions. Take a step back, breathe, then think with a clear head.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
the moral of this story is............

don't get your oil changed.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro

believe it or not you aren't that bad off. sure your payment is higher than the advertised lease.. but you also carried negative equity in to the deal.

as long as you do not return your car to honda at the end of the lease the mileage parameters will not effect you.

whenever you are ready to sell/trade your car you will be able to do so just as if you had purchased the car. you have a regular payoff whether you purchase or lease. the current money factor on the acura tls lease is equvilant to 2.4% interest so you are actually paying more towards principal than if you had pursued traditional financing. and your payments are lower.

so relax (because you can't take the car back) and enjoy your new ride.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Well, I do want to thank everyone for the advice and I guess the critisisms or putdowns, I know I deserved it.

I know I shouldn't have gone in there but the fact is I did.

This is what I learned today... the finance manager told me that since the paperwork has already been sent to the leasing office AND to the DMV, it's considered a "used" car, so basically they can't take it back.

Since I DO plan on keeping this car for longer than 3 years (length of the lease), then the dealer SAID that I shouldn't worry about going over the mileage. Once the 3 years is up, I can take it to my credit union and have them finance the remaining amount of the loan. (In my paperwork it says for $23000)

OR if I wanted a higher interest rate (current is 3.9%), I could take it to my credit union at any time and refinance it, with possibly lower payments.

Yes, I know I made a mistake but the car is FREAKIN AWESOME!! Put me down all you want, tell me I'm a stupid blonde (which I'm not), tell me I should have a guy go with me next time, or tell me that the deal sucked... ok, I can handle it... like I said, it's all good.

Ya live and learn right? I was more worried about the mileage than the payment. Yes, it will be tough for me for awhile (and I don't need 3 jobs to make the payment, I have a great job that pays well) but I can do this.

It is a BEAUTIFUL car!!! I may be stupid to some of you (or all) but I do have great taste in cars!!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

that is a sweet car
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just got a 2007 acura tl type s in feb and i'm paying $459 a month for 36 months with $3800 down.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Really all the matters is you're happy. Sounds like you are, so enjoy the car!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced

pics will be here soon... probably in another thread.

I've taken some but haven't downloaded them into the computer. I'm gonna go out now and take more since its a beautiful day here in Oregon!! Yes, that's kinda rare!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
RAR

Well, I do want to thank everyone for the advice and I guess the critisisms or putdowns, I know I deserved it.

I know I shouldn't have gone in there but the fact is I did.

This is what I learned today... the finance manager told me that since the paperwork has already been sent to the leasing office AND to the DMV, it's considered a "used" car, so basically they can't take it back.

Since I DO plan on keeping this car for longer than 3 years (length of the lease), then the dealer SAID that I shouldn't worry about going over the mileage. Once the 3 years is up, I can take it to my credit union and have them finance the remaining amount of the loan. (In my paperwork it says for $23000)

OR if I wanted a higher interest rate (current is 3.9%), I could take it to my credit union at any time and refinance it, with possibly lower payments.

Yes, I know I made a mistake but the car is FREAKIN AWESOME!! Put me down all you want, tell me I'm a stupid blonde (which I'm not), tell me I should have a guy go with me next time, or tell me that the deal sucked... ok, I can handle it... like I said, it's all good.

Ya live and learn right? I was more worried about the mileage than the payment. Yes, it will be tough for me for awhile (and I don't need 3 jobs to make the payment, I have a great job that pays well) but I can do this.

It is a BEAUTIFUL car!!! I may be stupid to some of you (or all) but I do have great taste in cars!!

naa i wouldnt say stupid. Inexperienced perhaps. At the end of the day, its not the end of the world. You've got a great car and can be happy about it, and you've learned a tough but valuable lesson.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Take it back ! hate to say it but youv'e been GANKED!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
naa i wouldnt say stupid. Inexperienced perhaps. At the end of the day, its not the end of the world. You've got a great car and can be happy about it, and you've learned a tough but valuable lesson.
Get outta here! You know yo ass would say she was stupid as hell if it was a dude! LOL!

Hell yeah, it was stupid! Live and you learn tho. But you got a nice car right? Like one guy said, you don't have that negative equity to worry about any longer. Don't go over the miles, and you walk away free at the end. Even if you go over, you have that nice job right? No prob! Just enjoy the ride! You earning every mile! Straight talk! America's best!

I like the attitude tho! Two tears in a bucket, mutha, mutha...

First time you step on it and crush an Rx8 or whatever, you gonna be like fawk the note - I'm rollin'!!!

Be safe!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Instructor

there is an article i read on autonews.com (hopefully you can find it at another website cuz autonews is paid only), with the same circumstance as you. a lady went into a dealership for maintenance, but ended up convinced to purchase a brand new vehicle. she later sued the dealership for doing so because she never intended to buy a new vehicle, but could not resist the persuation due to some impulsive sympton. she ended up winning i think.

i am not joking about this, look this article up, and consult with ur doctor if you have a similar sympton.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by darksom1
Get outta here! You know yo ass would say she was stupid as hell if it was a dude! LOL!

Hell yeah, it was stupid! Live and you learn tho. But you got a nice car right? Like one guy said, you don't have that negative equity to worry about any longer. Don't go over the miles, and you walk away free at the end. Even if you go over, you have that nice job right? No prob! Just enjoy the ride! You earning every mile! Straight talk! America's best!

I like the attitude tho! Two tears in a bucket, mutha, mutha...

First time you step on it and crush an Rx8 or whatever, you gonna be like fawk the note - I'm rollin'!!!

Be safe!!!
stupid would be listening to all our advice, doing all the research, and STILL ending up a sucker to such a deal. If this was the first time she personally bought a car or it was a spur of the moment decision that looked good (because she didnt have anything to compare to) then she might be inexperienced or ignorant, but I wouldn't say stupid.

oh ya, and truly stupid would be paying this amount for some american pos whose value drops a third the moment she drives it off the lot and she hates the living daylights out of it by the time she gets home.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

stupid would be listening to all our advice, doing all the research, and STILL ending up a sucker to such a deal. If this was the first time she personally bought a car or it was a spur of the moment decision that looked good (because she didnt have anything to compare to) then she might be inexperienced or ignorant, but I wouldn't say stupid.

oh ya, and truly stupid would be paying this amount for some american pos whose value drops a third the moment she drives it off the lot and she hates the living daylights out of it by the time she gets home.
True dat!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
RAR

True dat!
She doesnt get off the hook completely though. Accepting a 10k/yr lease when you know you drive more than that was mildy retarded.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Racer

Ok, you have been slammed enough. There are quite a few other people on this forum that have made worse deals than you. The fact that the buy out is 23k tells me that this deal is not terrible and at this point it does not matter. What is done is done and it is no longer worth worrying about. Education is expensive and remember this lesson the next time your at the dealer. I would suggest that you plan on buying it at the end of the lease and drive as much as you like.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
Ok, you have been slammed enough. There are quite a few other people on this forum that have made worse deals than you. The fact that the buy out is 23k tells me that this deal is not terrible and at this point it does not matter. What is done is done and it is no longer worth worrying about. Education is expensive and remember this lesson the next time your at the dealer. I would suggest that you plan on buying it at the end of the lease and drive as much as you like.

Enjoy your new ride!

Yes, I plan on keeping this car for awhile. It's too nice not to keep!! And yes, I've learned my lesson!!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Yes, I plan on keeping this car for awhile. It's too nice not to keep!! And yes, I've learned my lesson!!
Congratulations on your new TL! We just picked ours up this past Saturday and love it! We weren't going to buy either, in fact my wife didn't even want to stop by the lot, but after a test drive she fell in love with the car! Don't have regrets, it will just dampen the joy you should be feeling about have such a great car! BTW, ours if the Charcoal Grey with the light beige interior like yors, Iy's an awesome color interior!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Everytime that you start to second guess yourself about the deal just take a look outside at that beautiful TL-S, and remember you cant put a price on happiness. In the end that's all that matters. Good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Race Director

Dont feel bad temptation at the dealer is bad. Whenever I get my car serviced I always go sit in the new cars. My car is an 00 so the new cars are VERY new to me. The smell, and all the cool stuff really makes it tempting. Then you see left over ones from 06 that there trying to sell cheap. Also the TSX lease price of about 300 month and you think man I can do that. Then I come back to realiaty and relieze I have college next year and dont want a car payment. That and no way in hell my parents would let me do that. I can see how it would be very easy to do.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro

ok, I know I asked you to give me advice on the car but I did not ask you to personally attack me, onsknth. I saw the car and my eyes got big. I know I probably made a mistake but you didn't have to go that far.

Anyways, I'll probably be taking the car back. Since I'm not 20 years old and I should know better, right?

Its all good......

What were you expecting???? People to say you did a good thing???

You did a stupid thing and now want to back out... NOBODY should ever make a 30 THOUSAND dollar purchase on the spur of the moment... but you did...

Can you get out of it??? I doubt it, but go in and say "keep the $3K and let me out... let me have my old car back and call it even"...

OR, go in and say I need 20K miles and what are you going to ream me with.. then bend over and grit your teeth...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by brettallica
Correct! I understand the impulse buy, though. I think you have 72 hours to go back on a signed contract, so you should probably act fast.

Good luck.

This is false in most states... if you buy AT the location that they sell, there is no cooling off period... if you buy at some OTHER location there is a cooling off... think he is stuck..
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Formula 350
...but go in and say "keep the $3K and let me out... let me have my old car back and call it even"...
OR, go in and say I need 20K miles and what are you going to ream me with.. then bend over and grit your teeth...
Damn...uhhh...that might actually work! Buy-out! Worth a shot! I think you can pay to get more miles though, I definitely think that.

But nah, I think our girl is loving that ride now...she ain't mad about the dough, she just wants more miles...go ahead and try for the miles and post so other people can know. Better not do nothing wild though...you know we watching you now sugar...
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
TL SL ML :)

Mercedes SL's arent any better...I guess you can say I'm some what guilty as well

Damn...uhhh...that might actually work! Buy-out! Worth a shot! I think you can pay to get more miles though, I definitely think that.

But nah, I think our girl is loving that ride now...she ain't mad about the dough, she just wants more miles...go ahead and try for the miles and post so other people can know. Better not do nothing wild though...you know we watching you now sugar...

Yup she's lovin the car...just go to the dealership and see if you can broker a deal to pay a smaller sum in advance for the approx extra miles you'll need (at the least)...could work
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Racer

What were you expecting???? People to say you did a good thing???

You did a stupid thing and now want to back out... NOBODY should ever make a 30 THOUSAND dollar purchase on the spur of the moment... but you did...

Can you get out of it??? I doubt it, but go in and say "keep the $3K and let me out... let me have my old car back and call it even"...

I think he was expecting some sound advice and maybe a little sympathy.

Man, that sucked.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:58 AM
3rd Gear

sad to say it..your an owner, the minute you drove that car off the lot there is no turning back, i dont know if where you live have any cooling off period, if you do...bring ti back within that time, other than that...your an owner.

drive it! enjoy it! if you like it, you can always purchase it at the end of your term, its a nice car, im sure youll like it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

you might as well bought a type s
~Jason
Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
This is false in most states... if you buy AT the location that they sell, there is no cooling off period... if you buy at some OTHER location there is a cooling off... think he is stuck..
I wonder if there is a cooling off if you buy from a dealer, but conduct the whole deal online, and have the car delivered to your house on a flatbed. (That's how I bought the last two cars, with the exception of our TL)
Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jzacuto
I think he was expecting some sound advice and maybe a little sympathy.

Man, that sucked.

I have no sympathy for people who make spur of the moment decision on a $30K to $40K purchase and then regret it... she does not have to like me either..

I gave some advice that I think was good.

Quick Reply: Should've never went in for that oil change!!