3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I take my TL to Mammoth Lakes and Death Valley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Should I take my TL to Mammoth Lakes and Death Valley?

Hello,

I am looking to take a road trip through Mammoth Lakes (possibly Tahoe) and then to Death Valley on December 18th - 24th. I am concerned about the fact that I have stock tires on my TL and that the TL comes with low-clearance from the factory.

I was wondering if anyone had any real-life advice on whether the TL will be okay in the snow (I will purchase snow chains) and in the death valley gravel/dirt roads (not the 4x4 roads, but the approaches to points of interest).

I appreciate the help!! thank you in advanced!

Rody
Old 11-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Opium den in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have something else to take ... I wouldnt put my TL through that sort of punishment
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

i unfortunately dont have anything else to take...and because there would be two underage drivers the rental fees would be around $800 for those couple of days and I can only rent through the full-size class of cars (since you cant have under two 25 drivers for an SUV)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I drive my TL to Tahoe all the time. Don't have a problem with anything.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Hey subinf,

how much snow did you encounter in Tahoe? did you put chains/cables on it?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

if there is snow, don't get behind a cinder truck, as your windshield will be pitted.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
The road to Mammoth is freeway except for the last few miles when you turn off the 15. They plow it like crazy when it does dump you should not have any problems unless you are trying to get right up to the lakes or devils postpile, or sometimes if it really came down the main lodge area. The lifts come all the way down into the village now so you dont have to go any farther than that there is no nead to go to the main lodge. You should have some chains with you just to appease the authorities, but I would not plan on using them unless you just absolutely have to get somewhere shortly after a dump, otherwise just wait a few hours untill the plows come and you should be fine. Tahoe can be a bit trickier just depends on the weather and the actual resorts you are trying to get to. The major attractions in Death Valley are all passable with the clearance that you have, just go slow and easy and you wont have any problems. Back in the day I traversed all of those roads with a lowered 240Z and other than the RWD did not have any problems.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rody084
Hey subinf,

how much snow did you encounter in Tahoe? did you put chains/cables on it?

Thanks!

I have not yet been required to put chains on. It was a light snow...didn't really stick to the ground, wasn't too bad. I don't have any experience in the 3G with heavy snow and unplowed roads, but I did take the 2G back from Tahoe during a pretty big storm. I was one of the last cars through before they closed 80. Didn't have chains on then but wished I did. Car was all over the road, had to drive about 15 just to be able to stop in time.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
My dealer made me sign a form stating that I was aware that I can not place snow chains on the TL. Anyone else sign something similar?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced

i just went thru there the end of october death valley and mamath...nice drive. came up from death valley and over to big pine...did badwater, furnace creek nice drive wish i had the tl for it instead of my truck. but there is spot in death valley that i would not take the tl. like the natrual bridge about 5 miles past badwater..don't do it, plus it might get worst with the rain. thats the only spot i would say not go the rest of the spots are passable as long as your not lowered super crazy. i don't know about snow but i do know that they close all passes during the winter except for hwy 88 so 4,120 and 108 so don't expect to just be able to cross over anywhere during the winter
Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
My dealer made me sign a form stating that I was aware that I can not place snow chains on the TL. Anyone else sign something similar?

What? is that a west coast thing? When I bought my TL in Philly, no such form was signed and we certainly get more snow than SD.

I had my Tl through snow on stock tires and it was ok, but I switched over to better tires later on. In thick snow, maybe about a foot? and depending on how pact down it was, it wasn't so good. Couldn't stop or slow down and car slid. And was driving out of a gas station that piled up the snow on the exit lane and my car got stuck.

I would say that if you get into snow situations over 1 foot, it may be bad. But otherwise, the TL should handle fine.

However I've never driven this car to Tahoe either. And I've never had to put chains on the tires or get snow tires when it was snowing bad.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Bring Blink Back!

Go for it. I took my car to Mammoth but I only wish I had put the nose mask on before because I got a few chips. Of course I dont have a clear bra so it may not be a problem for you ;0)