Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I or shouldnt I?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I or shouldnt I?

Ok, so when I bought my new car the dash had a defect IE: 10 inch white line, left of the center of the air bag. Posted and got suggestions, none worked including 303.

Acura has offered to replace the dash. They were careful to point out that there are 42 electrical connections under the dash and it could create other issues...... But, hats off to Acura and my service Manager for stepping up to the plate on this and for willing to fix this issue. I mean it !!!

I told the dealer I needed to sleep on it. I know that its a fairly involved process: ie removing seats, radio, etc etc..

Has anyone had to have their dash torn apart either for collision repairs, defect repairs or for hobby sake IE: modifications?

I am just trying to decide if I should just live with it and avoid making bigger problems. thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Obey
Ok, so when I bought my new car the dash had a defect IE: 10 inch white line, left of the center of the air bag. Posted and got suggestions, none worked including 303.

Acura has offered to replace the dash. They were careful to point out that there are 42 electrical connections under the dash and it could create other issues...... But, hats off to Acura and my service Manager for stepping up to the plate on this and for willing to fix this issue. I mean it !!!

I told the dealer I needed to sleep on it. I know that its a fairly involved process: ie removing seats, radio, etc etc..

Has anyone had to have their dash torn apart either for collision repairs, defect repairs or for hobby sake IE: modifications?

I am just trying to decide if I should just live with it and avoid making bigger problems. thanks

Hmmm good question. If its under warranty, then I would lean towards getting it fixed only if you make sure Acura would fix any other problems arising from the replacement dash.

One the other hand, if the line is nothing more than an annoyance that you think you can live with for how ever long you own the car, then I wouldn't bother.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Acura replaced the dash in my 02 TL. What do you mean they told you it could create other issues?! They can't tell you they'll replace something, but in the process, break other things. Acura broke the sun sensor on my TL when they replaced the dash, and replaced it without even telling me, and that's what they should do!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They would obviously PREFER you didnt get it fixed, it does cost them money. The point is the cars under warrenty, so they have to fix it, and anythhing they break.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
They would obviously PREFER you didnt get it fixed, it does cost them money. The point is the cars under warrenty, so they have to fix it, and anythhing they break.

I would disagree with them preferring you not get it fixed. The dealer makes money from acura to do warranty work. They are paid by the warranty department at american honda. I would guess he is more worried about the technician time it will take up and them f'ing something else up.

Either way, I say go for it, get it replaced. If on the off chance the screw something up, they will fix it anyways.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Instructor

That's pretty pathetic. They must not have much confidence in ther mechanics.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Racer

vikrampatel is right. Dealers love doing warranty work. It's a HUGE money maker for them. It's one of their primary revenue streams and is often a bigger source of revenue than new car sales itself!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Obey

Although I agree with most of the pople here that Acura SHOULD and all that BUT IMHO, I would NOT opt for it...there are so many oppurtunities (6-Cd changer, Navi, MID etc....) for them to screw up on...(again I do agree Acura should have faith in their mechanics and what not) I just dont trust them and the whole Idea of them tearing my dash apart is just too risky in my mind... + loose dash and rattles later on would just scare me...

I dont know how bad the white line is (post pics if you can) but if it is something you can live with then save the pain and get over it...
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Do you think you can live with looking at that "10 inch white line, left of the center of the air bag" everyday for as long as you own the car? It's under warranty, they are authorized Acura mechanics (you would think they can handle it) and if they create future problems that persists, maybe there is a replacement car in the wings.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced

i say get it fixed. i dont think dealers should be telling u that they may break something in the process of doing repair work...sorta unprofessional imo. if there's more problems arise from fixing this one, they'll be responsible to fix them too.

i hope you can get a good loaner :p
Old 06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you post a pic of the line, then maybe we can all have a better idea of whether you should bother.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Yup, you should post some pics of it. It would be easier for the folks to see what it is and how bad it is. It's under warranty and it should be taken care of and any probs during the process and the final result, they should be responsible for it. Can all the techs be that bad?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by da_bien1390
i say get it fixed. i dont think dealers should be telling u that they may break something in the process of doing repair work...sorta unprofessional imo. if there's more problems arise from fixing this one, they'll be responsible to fix them too.

i hope you can get a good loaner :p
I will second that.

Plus, I do not think I would be able to live with it.

Mark.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

ill get some pix on later ;0) thanks everyone!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:45 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
OTOH

They warned you for a reason. You are talking about a cosmetic repair. It is better to not tear things apart if it can be avoided. Can you say rattles?

I would look at it long and hard before deciding. How many times do you want to have to take it in?? I'm not saying don't do it just think about unintended consequences.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I have less rattles after a dash replacement.

I wanna know how an Acura dealer can tell you that they'll do warranty work for you at your own risk? Their job is to keep you satisfied with your vehicle, and I'd have a talk with ACS if a dealer ever acted like some warranty work would be done only if I understood it could have consequences.

Let them do it, and if they break something, they have to fix it. Not out of the goodness of their hearts - but because it's their job!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
vikrampatel is right. Dealers love doing warranty work. It's a HUGE money maker for them. It's one of their primary revenue streams and is often a bigger source of revenue than new car sales itself!
Typically, dealers make less money per hour for warranty work than they do for other work, due to price agreements with the manufacturers. But it's still profitable.

The used car department is also typically much more profitable than new cars.