Should I expect to get the Protection Package for free?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Should I expect to get the Protection Package for free?

I'm picking up my TL tomorrow.

I went through a local Maryland dealer, and the deals in this area are not great. I got $800 off MSRP, but trying to squeeze more out of the deal at the finance manager's desk won't be easy. (Of course, if they act arrogant/insolent or dare to use a "take it or leave it" attitude, I'll walk - I want the car but not badly enough to be abused.)

Anyway - lots of people on this forum say they got the protection package (trunk mat, wheel locks, and splash guards) "thrown in" for no extra charge. When I mentioned that to my salesman on the phone, he said, no way, that package is $290.

(As an aside: Acura's website lists the cost of that package as $237, but that's without installation, so I'll give my salesman the benefit of the doubt that the price he was quoting was with installation.)

Should I push to get those items thrown in? Is there any documentation on the web that I can use as evidence that dealers are generally giving this stuff away and/or that Acura expects the dealers to give it away? I thought I read somewhere about a promotion from Acura but I can't find anything about it now.

(As another aside, my '01 CL came with those same three items included, but then, those cars weren't flying off the lots like the TLs are.)

Thanks for all replies.
Old 03-12-2004 | 03:20 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You CAN get the stuff for free -- I did -- but I know due to market demands they may not be willing to throw that stuff in. For example, the largest dealer in the Bay Area used to give all that stuff for free, but now they only give you the wheel locks. Everything else you have to buy.
Old 03-12-2004 | 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

The wheel locks are the one thing I really don't care about - I am lucky enough that my car is parked in secure locations both at work and at home.

But the trunk tray was great to have in my CL, and splash guards can be very useful too!

IMO this stuff should have been included in the first place. I don't mean to start one of those "for $35,000 I expect dancing elephants" threads, but c'mon - a friggin plastic tray and a couple more pieces of friggin plastic? $237?

One wonders if Acura is really trying to build brand loyalty or just trying to milk the popularity of the TL for all they can.
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:13 PM
Instructor

I got mine thrown in for free.
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:27 PM
Racer

You'll walk if they don't throw in free stuff after the deal's already been made and agreed to? By the time you get to the finance manager, the deal should be done. Yes, the finance manager may try to sell you more stuff (extended warranty, glass etching, or whatever), but it isn't the time to try to make the deal better. I know people tell lots of stories about "bad" dealers and the tricks they play, but dealers also tell stories about customers.
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Whoa, whoa, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't say I would walk if they don't throw in free stuff. Please read the original post again. I said I would walk if they cop an attitude. They can say "no" but they better do it politely, and they better not say "no" if they are giving the stuff away to other TL customers.

I've bought or leased about half a dozen cars in my life so far, and the range of experiences with finance managers has been wild. A couple were truly professional, a couple were mediocre/just getting the job done, and a couple were downright slimeballs. I did get up and walk out on one - but the dealership manager chased me down as I was getting in my car, apologized profusely, and gave me the deal I was supposed to get in the first place. The other really bad experience was not quite as dramatic, but it was draining anyway and took a couple of hours longer than it should have.

Now I'm a little older and a little less tolerant of such bullshit. They are selling me a $35,000 car tomorrow. They don't have to lick my shoes, buy they need to treat me with the common decency any customer of a $35,000 purchase deserves. More importantly, they need to be straightforward. I'm sure you're right about stories about tricky customers. I'll also bet the ratio is at least 10:1 of tricky dealers to tricky customers.

I'm not trying to be tricky by asking for free stuff. I asked for it in a simple, straightforward manner. I'm just trying to get a decent deal. At MSRP - $800 they are making a very nice profit and really should NOT mind throwing in the protection package, which probably costs them $100 or so. That's how you get customers to repeat - you don't milk every penny you can, you get them to feel special.

In case you don't know, there have been many articles written in the last couple of years about Acura's slipping market share versus Infiniti and Lexus. In most of the articles one of the big problems cited is Acura's network of dealers, far more of whom have bad reps than for the other Japanese luxury brands.
Old 03-12-2004 | 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Did you get NAV ? Pohanka in Fairfax, VA today quoted me $300
off MSRP for a Green, Parchment NAV due in in 10 days.

I passed. I will try NJ or wait for a better supply.
Old 03-12-2004 | 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, with NAV. If you're willing to drive to Gaithersburg, Rosenthal Acura will give you $800 off MSRP on a 5AT/Nav. And thanks to them, I got a dealer much closer to me to match it.

My schedule doesn't have the space to squeeze in a trip to NJ, but if you can do that, it seems clear from this forum better deals can be had up there.
Old 03-12-2004 | 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Too bad your schedule is too busy. I live in Bethesda, MD and ended up getting my TL in NJ ($32800). I only got the wheel lock which I don't use. It was in the trunk.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 03-12-2004 | 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Novice - that price was with Nav or non-Nav? If Nav, that was a hell of a deal.
Old 03-12-2004 | 08:04 PM
Team Nighthawk President

I also had to get my TL in NJ. I live in VA and tried all of the dealers in MD and VA. The funny thing was when I told them what I expected to pay they laughed...then when I ordered one from NJ all of a sudden everyone wanted to make a deal. None of them could/would match my deal and questioned whether I would be able to get NBP/ebony with navi for the price I paid. I know 2-3 hours may seem like alot to drive but it was worth it to me for the satisfaction of not paying msrp...I got excellent customer service and would recommend my dealer to anyone.
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:03 PM
Intermediate

1hottl,

Which dealer in NJ did you buy from ?Turnersville ? I have a
great quote from them $32,800 for NAV but no firm date
of delivery.

thanks
Old 03-14-2004 | 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys,

Just thought I let those who live near the Northeast know that I put a deposit on a White/Quartz/NAVI/AT for $2000 under MSRP plus a free oil change from Acura of Boston. It was a slow day and the salesperson, Debbie, was very friendly and willing to work with me. I didn't want to buy until this summer or fall but could not turn down such a good price. It's being ordered and built and will be deliver mid May. You may wanna check out my dealer if you are in the area.

dsc888
Old 03-19-2004 | 06:50 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Coronado111: Sussman