Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortage of TLs built w/Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shortage of TLs built w/Navi?

Seems clear that Honda underestimated the demand for Navi, and now those of us who want it are having a harder time finding good deals.

Anybody have any info, or access to anyone who might know, about whether Honda is taking steps to bump up the percent of TL's built w/Navi?

I've also read rumors on this board about shortages of the Navi parts, but never seen anything official about that.

Just wondering, since I'll be looking for delivery in April and wondering if there's any chance the supply of Navis will be more plentiful by then.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shortage of TLs built w/Navi?

Originally posted by CLGator
Seems clear that Honda underestimated the demand for Navi, and now those of us who want it are having a harder time finding good deals.

Anybody have any info, or access to anyone who might know, about whether Honda is taking steps to bump up the percent of TL's built w/Navi?

I've also read rumors on this board about shortages of the Navi parts, but never seen anything official about that.

Just wondering, since I'll be looking for delivery in April and wondering if there's any chance the supply of Navis will be more plentiful by then.
This happpend way back in November. Acura projected more non Nav vehicles. At that time they were quoting 2-3 months to order a Nav equipped car. They did ask Alpine to increase production of the Nav systems. I think the dealerships are receiving more Nav equipped vehicles.. If you order its still going to be 2 months.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Wow, delivery in April! It takes 3 months now to order 1? Back in late Nov, I had to wait 1 month for delivery on a NAVI with color of my 2nd choice (Satin Silver), First choice (Anthracite) was all taken (reserved by people who left deposits), so it was approx 2 month wait. I ended up with a Demo car.

A couple of days ago, I walked in the dealers lot where I bought mine, there must be at least 30+ new TL's there, did not see any with NAVI.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

jshih57 - In my case I'm the one who wants delivery in April, to coincide with the end of my CL lease. I have no idea what time lag I would actually be quoted if I tried to order one today. But from what people are saying on this board (including your post!) it certainly could be 2-3 months for a Navi in a specific color combo.

However, I think I'll be pretty flexible about colors (there are about 3 exteriors and 2 interiors I could live with) so I'm still hoping to see a 5AT/Navi I like on the lot. Usually better deals are available that way.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Shortage of TLs built w/Navi?

As 6spdzoomzoom said, Navi should be more and more soon from the production lines. I still remember in Dec/03, lots of dealers had to postpone or cancel their Navi orders 'cause of the shortage of Navi parts. And, it has kind of resulted in non-Navi TLs everywhere now with some negotiable discount.

If you order some particular color, the delivery date is definitely late for months. If your dealer could phone you before April and provide you the built-date and Vin info, you should have no problems to get your preferred car on time as well as check out your insurance.

Usually, car makers won't disclose any negative news except it's emergency or necessary. Since some early-built issues have been fixed by Acura engineers, you won't see any offical annoucement unless you talk to your dealers or you check out this website.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:52 AM
Cruisin'

hey guys

FYI-I ordered and left a deposit on 1/3/04 in TN. I was called a week later and told it would be in by middle to late Feb. So from deposit to delivery it would only be around 6 wks (hopefully ). The delear already had some navi's allocated for him in January for Feb. delivery. I think a lot has to do with your dealership.

nshvlltl
Old 01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by nshvlltl
hey guys

FYI-I ordered and left a deposit on 1/3/04 in TN. I was called a week later and told it would be in by middle to late Feb. So from deposit to delivery it would only be around 6 wks (hopefully ). The delear already had some navi's allocated for him in January for Feb. delivery. I think a lot has to do with your dealership.

nshvlltl

Your estimated six-week waiting period is measured between the date you sign the paper and the date you may obtain your 04TL.

If we say the dealer already tells you the date of your 04TL is gonna build, you may get your car in 5-14 days after that built-date depend on your distance to Acura Ohio plant.

If you're lucky, the color combo (plus other options) is already in their order lists of following months, they may tell you soon about your car's VIN and built date. Otherwise, they have to swap cars with other dealers or re-adjust their lists in order to get what you want.

As long as you got your built date/VIN, you should be able to forecast when you can go there to pick up your 04TL.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Racer

damn.. we're looking at a 6-10 week wait on ours... every navi model coming in for the next 6 weeks is already sold..
Old 01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
rarely registered user

The Navi is worth the wait. That's for sure. I love this thing.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
My overall wait is going to be about 70 days but only because they didn't have the color combo already on order and couldn't locate one in New England. Non-navs are still easier to get but I agree as time passes the manufacturing production of Navs will continue to increase.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by USCGMoose
The Navi is worth the wait. That's for sure. I love this thing.
Well, I definitely thought it was worth $2000. But in reality it looks like it will cost me more than that, if my experience is like other people's on this board. That is, the Navi will sell at MSRP while the non-Navi is discounted. So the real cost of the Navi might be $3000-$3500. That's a lot of dough for a laptop with maps!

But, yeah, I still want it...:smackhead
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is, the Navi will sell at MSRP while the non-Navi is discounted. So the real cost of the Navi might be $3000-$3500.
I brought this very point up with my salesperson, and he didn't follow it at first. He got the idea a few seconds later, tho!

For me, the Navi turned out to be a $2400 option. I sure hope it's worth the extra bucks and the extra wait.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?

For me, the Navi turned out to be a $2400 option. I sure hope it's worth the extra bucks and the extra wait.
It does seem to be a high price to pay both in cost and time, but some people obviously feel it is worth it.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Racer

My purchase was on 12/31/03 for an Anthracite w/Ebony TL in 6MT w/Navi. I'm waiting patiently (NOT!) for the car. I spoke to my dealer today (and surprise the original salesman was gone!! -- however this was not to my surprise as he indicated that he wasn’t happy).

Anyhow I asked the GM if he's got a bead on my delivery date. He remembered me and what I ordered by rattling off the color, trim, etc. He said that he cannot get the screen to display showing him build date, etc. But he also indicated that Acura (Honda!) was having trouble rolling over orders from the previous year (month!), and to give him a week or two and call back.

Does this sound on the up & up here? I have no reason to believe this guy is pulling my chain, but
I’m getting worried.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

greenseed

I visited my dealer on January 3 and placed a deposit for the identical vehicle, Anthracite w/Ebony TL in 6MT w/Navi. They had no manual nav's on the lot. I received a call this afternoon that my car was in and would be ready to pickup tomorrow. On the 3rd, they checked and gave me a 2 week delivery time and they beat it.....

About 45 minutes after my dealer called, another dealer I had talked with called and said they also had just received an Anthracite w/Ebony TL in 6MT w/Navi. He said if there were any problems with my pickup to give him a call....

Maybe that color combination is beginning to become available...
Old 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
kfh
Cruisin'

TL's on the lot with NAV

Is it possible that ACURA is "catching" up with the demand of Navs?

I was traveling through Birmingham AL on Monday (1/19 - from Montgomery to Huntsville) and they have at least 3 cars with Nav. (one gray and two white). A week ago they did not have any except for the demo car.

I live in Huntsville and have not had a chance to check the local dealer (Jerry Damson) to see if they now have any Navs sitting on the lot.

Is anyone else seeing a difference in the inventory on the lots? Is there an increase in the ones with the navigation system?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Eustace at Taylorsville Acura, in NJ told me yesterday that they are bumping up Navi production from 18% to 40%. I have no idea when this will be effective or if it is contingent on getting parts, but I think it says that they at least *want* to make more navi cars... I guess we'll see in the coming weeks and months
Old 01-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Instructor

I have seen on this forum and at my local dealer that there are non-navi TL's all over the place, but it seems like most people are waiting for the Navi. Since this is the case, one could assume that demand for Navi versions of the TL will always be higher and therefore retain a higher value.

At least that is how I justified the extra $$$$ to myself
Old 01-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
The other thing to consider (and at least this has been my experience) is that higher volume dealers seem to get better allocations. And as mentioned above you need to be looking for a color combination that is seemingly run more frequently.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how long it takes from the time some Honda/Acura vice-president decrees, "Build more TLs with Navi" to the time more TLs with Navi roll into our local dealers.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder how long it takes from the time some Honda/Acura vice-president decrees, "Build more TLs with Navi" to the time more TLs with Navi roll into our local dealers.

If the demands for Navi are never decreasing and the supplies for Navi are unable to multiply, I cannot see ppl will get their Navis in the short period.

Also, more demands in the market, less concentration in fixing those vibration/rattle issues.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura should just make NAVI standard on their cars. If you're not into this value-added feature, you could buy the equivalent Honda.. or, Acura could offer a non-navi substitution as a dealer-installed option. Either way, there would be more NAVIs to choose from and it would simplify inventory for the dealers!! Come on Acura, you can make this happen for 2005!