Shift light for 3rd gen TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004 | 12:13 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Shift light for 3rd gen TL?

I'm not trying to be rice, but a shift light would be nice.

When you add up the facts that:

The tach is off to the left
The engine rev's build really fast
The engine doesn't sound strained

It would be nice to have an adjustable shift light. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2004 | 12:43 PM
loves his TL!

the only shift light i would consider putting on my TL is one that is integrated onto the steering wheel, a la Ferrari!
Old 09-11-2004 | 01:02 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by direk_04TL
the only shift light i would consider putting on my TL is one that is integrated onto the steering wheel, a la Ferrari!
include F1 paddle shifting w/ that...
Old 09-11-2004 | 04:21 PM
loves his TL!

Originally Posted by tizo
include F1 paddle shifting w/ that...
which the 2005 RL HAS!! hopefully Acura puts it in future TLs too!!
Old 09-11-2004 | 05:17 PM
1337 H4x0r

You think the engine revs quickly?
Old 09-13-2004 | 10:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Vanwall
I'm not trying to be rice, but a shift light would be nice.

When you add up the facts that:

The tach is off to the left
The engine rev's build really fast
The engine doesn't sound strained

It would be nice to have an adjustable shift light. Any suggestions?

I am not trying to bash you here, but why does a TL or the majority of any car need a shift light. How does having a shift light prevents the motor from sounding strained, the revs on the tl do not build up fast, and the tach location is fine. If your having trouble shifting or have no eye to hand coordination, you should sell your manual and buy an automatic. A shift light is rice, and anyone that has any respect or knowledge for a car will just laugh at your stupidity. Maybe your gf will think its "cool" but its just lame.
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wichard20
I am not trying to bash you here, but why does a TL or the majority of any car need a shift light. How does having a shift light prevents the motor from sounding strained, the revs on the tl do not build up fast, and the tach location is fine. If your having trouble shifting or have no eye to hand coordination, you should sell your manual and buy an automatic. A shift light is rice, and anyone that has any respect or knowledge for a car will just laugh at your stupidity. Maybe your gf will think its "cool" but its just lame.
Let me start out by saying that I am 57 years old and had many manual transmission cars. I currently have a Mustang GT (5 SPD).

I made what I thought was a tasteful post on a well mannered TL board.

I was thinking of functionality when I asked about the light.

BTW don't talk about girl friends to my wife.
Old 09-14-2004 | 06:08 AM
Drifting

Let me start out by saying that I am 57 years old and had many manual transmission cars. I currently have a Mustang GT (5 SPD).

Sorry about how you got treated by some people on this forum. Everyone isn't like that and there are many helpfull, funny, and intelligent people here. Welcome to the TL Forum, and hopefully in the future, you will get a real answer to a honest question. I've noticed on my car that unless I pay attention to the tach, I have no idea when the engine is aproaching the redline. I've hit the rev-limiter several times accidently, and I believe it's becuse the engine is so smooth and quiet, it doesn't give any indication(IMHO) that it's approaching the redline. Congratulations on purchasing your TL....I absolutely love my new car and hope you have good luck with yours.
Old 09-14-2004 | 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Wichard20

So that shift light Ferrari's have are rice?
Someone needs to get a clue
Old 09-14-2004 | 07:50 AM
10th Gear

BTW I have a over 500 rwhp blown mustang cobra, and I have never missed a shift, under shifted, or overshift/hit redline and I have no aftermarket tach and do not need one and I all the time The best untacky low profile shift light is the raptor (http://www.raptorperformance.com/ if you NEED one
Old 09-14-2004 | 07:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cTLgo
So that shift light Ferrari's have are rice?
Someone needs to get a clue
I was replying saying its rice because its a 32k 270 hp 4 door front wheel drive luxury car, a Ferrari is a exotic high performance supercar, and if you dont understand that I am sorry. The few other vehicles that are factory installed with shift lights agian Corvette ZO6 and the Gixxer line of bikes.
Old 09-14-2004 | 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

the TL, albeit a luxury sedan is a SPORTY luxury sedan, i.e. it can share some features or more sportier cars. A shift light it not out of these bounds and isn't quite rice. A huge aluminum wing to create downforce, yes thats rice, but a shift light? Come on, if you're in that mode of thinking, our blue ambient lighting is considered rice.
Old 09-14-2004 | 08:18 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by cTLgo
the TL, albeit a luxury sedan is a SPORTY luxury sedan, i.e. it can share some features or more sportier cars. A shift light it not out of these bounds and isn't quite rice. A huge aluminum wing to create downforce, yes thats rice, but a shift light? Come on, if you're in that mode of thinking, our blue ambient lighting is considered rice.
Maybe since I am also a domestic owner I have a different view on the subject, a large spoiler is tacky but also serves no purpose since a front wheel drive car does not need downforce in the rear, the same goes for a shift light, hes not a racer, is he going to be hammering through the gears all day long, no, does he have 500 hp rev happy drag car, no, all I know is whenever I see a car with a shift light/tach all I can think of, what an idiot wanna be speed racer. Everyone has their own opinion, I was just sharing mine. Maybe next he should get a carbon fiber hood, so it will lighten up his front end, and he can install a fart pipe so people can hear him coming and make him more audible on the road, or better yet maybe get some Nitto Dr's on the front there because of all the power the Sport luxury sedan puts out :ghey: .
Old 09-14-2004 | 03:53 PM

I was not trying to start a war.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning the word "rice".

I did not know what was available on the market. I was not talking about a LARGE tach with a shift light. Just a shift light.

With that I know you can never win a battle with a troll so this is my last post.

Moderator please feel free to close this thread.
Old 09-14-2004 | 05:45 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

I kind of agree with the OP on this one, even thogh I personally would not want a shift light in my car.

I cam from a Honda Civic where no matter how loud my music was, I could always hear the engine and knew exactly where my revs were. The TL however, being a luxury car as was pointed out, drowns out those noises much better than my Civic ever could. The Electronic Gas pedal means I get less "input" from the pedals than I did in my Civic as well. As for Revving faster, I guarantee this 270HP V6 Revs faster than my 107HP I4 ever did.

I also agree that on my 6MT TL, I can hardly make out the where the red line starts in the upper 6K area of the tach, and even when I can see it clearly, the Rev Limited kicks in either right before I reach that point or at the split second I reach that point, whereas the Civic would actually go slightly into the redline area before cutting the fuel.

So as I said, a shift light isnt for me, and being I have only had the TL for a week, I'm sure I will just adjust to the differences over the next month and be popping through those gears flawlessly at some point. But to tell the OP to "Go get a Manual" is doing noone any good.
Old 09-14-2004 | 06:33 PM
DWP
Advanced

What's a shift light? Something that lights up somewhere in the driver's field of vision at xxxx RPM to tell him/her it's time to shift, in case he/she is too busy to read the tach?
Old 09-14-2004 | 10:06 PM
10th Gear

I was not trying to start a war.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning the word "rice".

I did not know what was available on the market. I was not talking about a LARGE tach with a shift light. Just a shift light.

With that I know you can never win a battle with a troll so this is my last post.

Moderator please feel free to close this thread.
This is a messageboard and you asked a opinion and one was given, if you look I even gave you a link to a shiftlight but I disagree with it. I am sorry you were not expecting the answer you were expecting. Oh and BTW

A troll is one who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument